The benefits of the unit
You can highlight the following positive points, which are endowed with a metal stove for the bath:
- Compact, small size makes it possible to install the construction even in a small room.
- No need to build a special massive foundation. For such a stove is suitable and lightweight type of foundation, which greatly simplifies the installation process.
- The metal sauna stove can maintain constant combustion, which allows you to keep the temperature at a set point throughout the bathing session.
- Economic option of furnace equipment, possibility to make a construction from improvised materials.
To make the use of the sauna stove enjoyable and safe, it is recommended to observe the following rules:
- The stove is mounted on a metal sheet (iron, copper or brass). At least 0.7 m of the sheet must protrude from the front.
- The walls and ceiling adjacent to the stove should be covered with non-combustible materials for a distance of at least half a meter from the stove and the chimney.
- If the fireplace is moved into the adjoining room, the opening must also be reinforced with non-combustible insulating materials, such as basalt wool or vermiculite.
- The insulated flue pipe must be at least 40 cm from the wooden structure.
For the chimney it is recommended to choose stainless steel with basalt wool thermal insulation. For rooms with people, it is not recommended to use materials containing asbestos as thermal insulation. Inhalation of asbestos dust can cause serious harm to health.
Once installed, the metal stove is often encased in 1/2 brick masonry. This keeps the heat stored in the masonry longer and protects against burns from accidental contact.
Scheme and dimensions of a simple metal sauna stove
The most common compact stove has an elementary design and is quickly welded from sheet steel. The body is rectangular, dimensions 55 cm x 30 cm, height about a meter. Inside the case there is a 15 cm high ash drawer and a 30 cm high furnace chamber. An open stone grid is installed over the firebox. The chimney pipe rises directly from the firebox to the roof and passes through the sauna heater, giving it a significant portion of the heat.
Synopsis at. To make a more simple model, you need an old propane tank, which is used as the body of the furnace. Holes are cut in the end face for the furnace door, ashtray. A round opening is made in the side wall for connecting the chimney. The cylinder itself is placed horizontally on its feet.
Vertical iron stove
The most compact variant is a tall vertical housing, in which all parts are arranged on top of each other.
The size of such a device may vary according to the area of the steam room. On average, for a small room the optimal size will be 0.5 m x 0.5 m x 1.3 m.
The vertical boiler may have two or three compartments. This depends on whether a water tank is installed or not. In the lower chamber is located furnace and ash drawer (depending on the size of the furnace depends on the power of the stove and the period of burning one load of wood).
An internal 45 cm high sauna heater is installed above the firebox and a door is cut into the body for placing the stones.
A water tank is placed immediately above the heater, and its size depends on the user’s needs (the height of the entire heater is chosen accordingly).
Above the tank is installed chimney, which is connected to the outlet of the furnace chamber directly. An air gap of at least 35 cm is left between the walls of the enclosure and the inner chambers to protect the outer walls from overheating.
Horizontal sauna stove with a remote furnace
Such a device takes more space, but provides an opportunity to place the main part of the furnace in an adjacent room or outdoors. This option allows you to easily perform operations on loading firewood, cleaning the furnace. If the stove is taken out into the anteroom, it also heats a second room, which is an additional plus. In the steam room itself there is only the firebox chamber, above the sauna heater.
When installing such a device, special attention must be paid to fire safety. The partition through which the furnace will pass, carefully insulated.
It is best to cover the furnace with bricks, this will eliminate the loss of heat from the steam room. In the anteroom, the walls and floor at the location of the stove are covered with fire-resistant material.
The dimensions of such stoves are on average 0.5 m wide, 1 m long, the height depends on the size of the heater, located above the furnace.
Super Portable Walking-Stick Wood Stoves
How to make a sauna stove from metal
A good sauna in your home has long been a proven means of preserving health, relieving stress and accumulated fatigue. At home, it is advantageous and convenient to use a sauna stove with electric heating. In the country house or in the country house the best variant is considered to be a sauna stove made of metal, working on solid fuel. Today it is easy to buy bath stoves made of metal, to order in a locksmith’s workshop for almost any taste, any fuel and heating power. But if you have the skill, tools and suitable material, it is easier and cheaper to make a metal bath stove with your own hands.
The advantages of such a metal bath stove are undeniable:
- It is possible to fit the stove into the bath room according to your own ideas of convenience;
- Low weight and sturdy design of the sauna stove allows for easy transportation even in your own car;
- The design of the stove makes it fairly easy to make changes and improvements with minimal labor and materials.
Beginning with the construction of the sauna stove, it is worth determining its location in the steam room, the basic geometric parameters, based on the needs of heating. Blueprints of the most successful sauna stoves made of metal can be downloaded from the Internet, if necessary, make your own corrections. Furnace chosen primarily on the basis of ease of use of the furnace, the heating capacity is taken 1 kg of wood per 1 m 3 room steam room.
Installing the stove in the bath: important points
Optimally, if the owner took care of the installation of the sauna stove already at the stage of construction of the structure. In this case, the installation process of the structure will be a simpler task. At the location of the furnace, a shallow foundation is laid. After that, a double row of bricks is laid on it, and then the stove is installed on them. To make the structure fireproof, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules when installing the. They boil down to the following:
- The distance from the stove made of metal to the wall should be at least one meter. In addition, for special protection of the surface of the house against fire specialists recommend wrapping the walls close to the product with foil, supplemented with a layer of insulation material. This will exclude overheating of the wood and its ignition;
- when installing a metal stove, you must also think about the insulation of the chimney. Experts recommend using so-called sandwich pipes. Their peculiarity is that there is a layer of insulating material between the outer and inner casing. If the heater is designed so that the combustion products can be drained via a chimney, it is necessary to install a flue pipe joint at the junction between the ceiling and the chimney;
- Furnace lining. In this case, there will be additional security of operation of the stove, and it will acquire a more aesthetic appearance. If the metal furnace is located close to the wall, the creation of masonry of bricks is a prerequisite.
Blueprints of stoves for baths made of metal
There are a number of devices that stand out for their design and operating principle. Before you start assembling a metal heating device for the bath with your own hands, make a drawing of the device. The principle of operation of the units is almost the same.
The first thing to arrange the furnace. The size of the structure is determined by the area of the room. Furnacemakers advise making the height and width of the unit the same. Many professionals, making a drawing, assume that they will use ready-made elements.
The device and principle of operation of a metal stove for the bath
The furnace furnace is divided into 2 compartments. In 1 the fuel is burned and in 2 the ash is collected. Between the sections set the grate and make separate doors. The ash drawer can be used as an ash-pan to create draft.
The simplest heating drawing for a small and seldom used sauna
The upper part of the structure is made of a lattice for the arrangement of the heater. This section is also separated with a door.
A heating device for a metal bath with the exact dimensions of the elements
DIY Mini Wood Stove
The upper compartment of the unit is filled with stones to maintain a higher temperature in the steam room for a longer time. The most common consider a stove for a steam locomotive bath, the drawing of which is presented below.
Smoke extraction system on the top of the sauna heater. A tank with water is built around it. As the smoke passes through the pipe, the liquid will be heated.
Two options for the construction of horizontal devices from a pipe and sheet metal
The pipe in the water heating tank is installed strictly in the center. A tap can be installed at the bottom of the tank for easy pouring. The water container is made of a thick pipe.
Drawing of the heating device for the bath from metal with a detailed description of details
At the design stage it is important to know exactly where on the roof will exit the chimney to further equip the opening of the insulator and prevent fires. To create traction, the pipe must be located at a height of at least 4 m.
Project of a sauna heater with a water heating tank
Masters Furnace makers advise to buy ready-made elements for the arrangement of the chimney. This way the unit will last longer, t. к. Segments are made of durable material, resistant to combustion.
A protective screen is built over the chimney to prevent hot air from getting onto the walls and roof of the sauna.
Factory made products for the chimney have an attractive appearance and cope
The chimney and protective screen are made of light-reflecting materials.
Furnace for a metal bath with his hands on the drawing
Baths can not exist without a stove. It is she heats the room and maintains optimal temperature. A large number of stoves of different models are available for sale that meet all the requirements. However, the most popular are considered drawings of metal stoves for the bath with their own hands, according to which it is quite easy to make a device that is ideally suited for specific conditions.
The modern revival of interest in bathing is associated with the stunning discovery of medics, claiming that the secret of Russian, and at the same time Finnish baths is revealed. A consequence of this popularization of the steam room has become a stove for the bath, made his own hands. This is due to the fact that the modern market is still unable to fully satisfy the consumer demand for bath stoves, as well as unreasonably high price of these units. In addition, the Finnish and Russian baths are a place not only for washing, but also for complex health and hygiene procedures that fully restore the energy potential of the soul and body. The conditions created in mass production do not allow for a combination of specific local factors, due to which, professional sauna connoisseurs often prefer to design a bathing unit on their own, rather than buy a factory one, made by faceless standards.
Bath stove made of metal: the relevance of the topic
Since time immemorial, metal furnaces have been known competitors to traditional brick units, which is true not only for private homes, but also for baths. This is due to their undeniable advantages, such as rapid heating and relative ease of installation, which is especially relevant for those who plan to make them independently. In addition to high thermal conductivity and excellent aesthetic characteristics, in case of irrational use of metal stoves or failure to comply with all the nuances of self-made, we must remember the risk of fire. In this regard, it is important to follow all the nuances and make a sauna stove in accordance with the instructions offered by our experts. You can read about it by reading this article.
Modern metal stoves: design features
The simplest model of homemade metal stove is the so-called burzhuyka, which consists of a box equipped with a door and a pipe. Their disadvantage is that, despite the relatively small heat output, their need for fuel is extremely high. In this regard, they have long been considered an irrelevant relic of the past.
As for modern metal stoves, they belong to a higher class of safety. They are made from sheet iron, the thickness of which does not exceed 4-5 mm. In addition, they are equipped with a specialized heat chamber designed for stone filling. Often the possibility of their design allows you to arrange an additional water tank, the volume of which reaches 70 liters. To ensure uniform heating of the air in the furnace, as well as to reduce its fire hazard, metal furnace lined with refractory bricks.
Important! By giving preference to modern metal stoves, you save yourself the trouble of building a high-strength foundation. In this case, it will be enough to perform a large-sized base, in the role of which may be a cement slab, for higher efficiency finished with tile, sheet metal or refractory bricks.
Features of design: 3 types of bath stoves
If you study the numerous drawings of bath stoves made of metal, you can come to the conclusion that, from a structural point of view, there are several varieties of bath stoves:
- Bath stoves with closed design, due to their compactness, they are preferred to be installed in small family-type baths. To increase the heat capacity of these structures outside and inside are built up with red refractory brick. Bricks are fixed with metal clips. In the middle part of the furnace is installed grate for the stones;
- Bath stoves with an open design are characterized by a smaller tank, while their sauna heater is open. Due to this, if you install an open-type stove in the steam room, you will heat the room more quickly. To increase the heat capacity of such a stove, the stones are covered with a galvanized cover;
- Combined sauna stoves, in the design of which allocate fuel stove, equipped with two sliders, grate and an ash drawer, two spigots (diameter 10 and 14 cm), in which allocate four holes for the pipe and bypass knee. Such furnaces are made of steel sheets 3-5 mm thick;
Type of fuel: 3 types of sauna stoves
According to the type of fuel used there are also several types of sauna stoves:
- Wood stoves are the earliest form of bath metal stoves with the corresponding characteristics. They require a large amount of fuel and, at the same time, require constant and careful maintenance. However, there are also connoisseurs of such stoves, who prefer to wait leisurely until they heat up, but then fully enjoy the fragrant heat of a real fire;
- Electric stoves are another kind of metal bath stoves. They consist of a metal body, equipped with a heating coil and thermal insulation elements;
- Gas metal stoves for baths are the most reliable and modern stove units. They are iron structures equipped with a thermostat designed to regulate the power. For the safety of design can not worry, because it includes a safety device, instantly triggered in the case of gas damping.
Bath stoves made of metal: advantages and disadvantages
Since there are two main varieties of stoves for the bath: brick and metal, let us consider the main characteristics of the latter and their advantages over stationary brick stoves. First, as already noted, in contrast to the stationary brick ovens, metal units are more mobile and compact option, in connection with what, they are ideal for installation in small rooms. As for the manufacture of homemade stoves, it is not necessary to carry out their installation at the place of installation, you can make it in any convenient for you and later move to the place of installation. There are two basic types of metal stove designs:
Stove of the hot type option, ideal for installation in the baths of occasional use, for example, in the cottage. Despite the fact that it warms up quickly, it is not recommended for use in baths of constant use, because, using such a stove, it is very easy to overheat the room, due to the impossibility of controlling its temperature;
Cold-type stove is ideal for installation in heated rooms. They, like the previous version, warm up quickly, but the possibility of overheating is excluded, as it is equipped with a temperature control system. It is almost impossible to get burnt by such a stove, since the temperature of its walls rarely exceeds 50 degrees.
Advantages of bath stoves made of metal
To summarize, we note the following advantages:
- The small size and mobility of design causes the indispensability of such a furnace in small baths;
- Do not need the preliminary installation of a massive foundation, it is enough to arrange a light version of the foundation, which greatly facilitates the installation of the sauna stove;
- Features of the principle of operation. Unlike brick units, metal furnaces burn constantly, and therefore, it is impossible to go to the bath without preheating the furnace;
- Low price. Unlike a brick stove, a metal stove is easy to make and does not require additional costs. Search for schemes of bath stoves made of metal is also not a difficulty a huge number of drawings can be found on the Internet and specialized magazines.
Disadvantages of metal bath stoves
- Rapid cooling due to inability to store heat. In this regard, it is necessary to constantly keep the fuel burning in such stoves;
- Inability to heat large rooms;
- To prevent the development of heat stroke during the stay in the room, it is necessary to install double walls with the preservation of the air gap between them;
- Due to the fact that the fire safety of metal stoves is much lower than that of a brick oven, it is necessary to provide enhanced protection of the inner lining of the furnace.
The shape of the sauna stove: what to pay attention to?
Despite the fact that at first glance it seems that the form of the furnace is an unimportant parameter, it depends on it the performance of the unit and the convenience of its operation. The most common are cylindrical, horizontal and shaped stoves, but rectangular units are the most convenient to use.
This is due to their corner zones, which almost never get red-hot. In this regard, it is widely believed that such a frame retains the shape of the furnace. In addition, the shape of the furnace determines the rationality and uniformity of heating of the furnace, as the maximum heating of one element reduces the heating of the wall next to the burning zone, which contributes to the uniformity of heating of the room and the balance of heat flow. In addition, the mechanical stability of the structure depends on the correct heating. This is not difficult to trace, for example, round and cylindrical furnaces are less resistant to heat and therefore their walls are more dense and reinforced. High stability of the rectangular stove is due to the presence of cold corners. However, over time, the loss of form is not avoided this is a proven fact.
Making a metal sauna stove: a search for options
Over the many years of using metal stoves for baths, there are many variants of making them with their own hands. One of the simplest variants is to make a metal stove-furnace from an iron barrel, in the process of which the lid and bottom of the barrel are removed, forming a cylinder. Half of the resulting cylinder is filled with bricks, placed on the rib, on which the grate is subsequently installed. The resulting free space for two-thirds is filled with stones, and then install the chimney and cover the homemade stove with a lid. However, despite the simplicity of manufacture, this option is considered one of the most uncomfortable in operation.
If your bath is characterized by a small enough area, you can make a compact sauna stove from sheet steel, the inner surface of which is lined with bricks. The size of the sauna stove made of metal is quite modest and corresponds to the heated area. The walls of the furnace is enough to lay in half a brick, and the chimney in a quarter. This furnace is not only simple in the manufacture, but also very easy to use, because it does not require a large amount of fuel and heats up in a relatively short period of time.
There is another way to make a sauna stove that does not require the use of bricks. This method is also easy to perform and not too expensive from a financial point of view. As for the appearance, it is quite aesthetic. This design can easily handle the heating of the anteroom, the sink, and the steam room itself.
The necessary materials and tools
- Sheet steel from 8 mm thick;
- Metal pipe, the wall thickness of which reaches 10 mm and a diameter of 500-600 mm;
- A rod with a thickness of 10 mm;
- Hatches and doors for the firebox, sauna heater and ash-pan. If you make the doors yourself, you will only need the pawls;
- Water crane;
- About 2 meters of pipe, 90 cm of which you will need for the firebox, 60 for the tank, and the remaining 50 cm to make the secondary parts;
- Of the tools will need an angle grinder and welder.
Guidelines for making a stove unit
At this stage, you will need a large section of pipe.
Rocket stove hot tub. How I made it
Important! The design suggests a closed sauna heater, and if you want to splash water in it, you must open the door ajar.
First of all, in the pipe cut an ash-pan, which size is 50 and 200 mm. On the inside of the pipe over the hole, weld the brackets for the grate; this requires a metal plate equipped with eyelets. The grate can be purchased at any construction or specialty store.
Next, we proceed to making the firebox. For it you need to make a hole of 250 by 200 mm. On top, weld the fasteners necessary to install the rods of the sauna heater, the diameter of which must be at least one centimeter. They can also be replaced by grates designed for round stoves, which can be purchased at the same place.
Make a hole on the opposite side of the sauna heater to pour water into. Next, the stove is filled with stones, e.g. talcochlorite, diabase. Do not use mica stones, flint and granite.
Make a hole in the lid of the sauna heater for the flue pipe and install the pipe. Despite the fact that the installation of the sauna stove can be considered almost complete, experts recommend installing an additional water tank.
For this purpose, a residual, previously unclaimed piece of pipe is welded to the sauna heater with a water valve in the lower part of the pipe. During the operation of the furnace, the smoke, passing through the pipe, will gradually heat it, but it will not boil. It is necessary to make a cover designed for the heating tank. According to the diameter of the pipe used, prepare a cover and cut it in half. In the first half you need to cut a hole for the chimney, and then it is welded to the tank. The other half must be equipped with hinges and a handle during installation, so that the free part of the lid remains removable.
Attention in the sauna stove: What must be observed??
- About the installation of the sauna stove, you need to take care at the stage of construction of the bath and in the place of the future stove to lay a shallow foundation. Subsequently, lay a double row of bricks and install the oven. To improve the fire safety of a homemade stove, you need to clearly follow the rules of their installation. They are as follows:
- The shortest distance between the wall and the stove must be at least one meter. In addition, experts recommend the use of additional protection and install it on the wall close to the stove foil, with a layer of insulation, which will allow time to prevent overheating of the wood and its subsequent ignition;
- Do not neglect the insulation of the chimney. For this purpose, it is recommended to make it from a sandwich pipe, between the outer and inner casing of which there is a thermal insulating layer;
- If the design of your furnace involves removal of combustion products through a pipe made of metal, at the junction of the ceiling and chimney equip the ceiling-through unit.
Upon completion of the installation, the stove can be lined with brick, which will not only add aesthetics to the appearance of the stove, but also to prevent the occurrence of burns. In addition, in this case it is allowed to place the stove closer to the wall.
We hope that we were able to convince you that making a metal sauna stove is not such a complicated activity, and using this guide, you can avoid difficulties in the process of making it. We do not deny that this design is not the only way to make a sauna stove, but it is the easiest to install and most convenient to use.
Design features of modern metal stoves
The simplest example of design of bath stoves made of metal with their own hands is considered burzhuyka. It consists of a box equipped with a pipe and a door. Its main disadvantage. it is a small heat output at a high consumption of fuel. Therefore, nowadays the burzhuyka is used very rarely.
Modern units made of metal have a higher class of fire safety. They are made of sheet material, the thickness of which does not exceed 4-5 millimeters. They have a heat chamber for filling with stones (read: “How to stack the stones in the sauna stove correctly, what stones are better to use”). Often their design solution includes the possibility of equipping an additional water tank up to 70 liters.
In order to ensure uniform heating of the air in the unit and to reduce its fire hazard, they make facing with refractory bricks. If there is no need to create a particularly solid foundation for the furnace will be enough to have a large-sized base, which can be a cement slab with a coating of tile, or metal plate or refractory bricks.