Boiler noises and hums? We will tell you how to fix it!
The work of a new, properly installed heating boiler, as a rule, has a silent mode. This aspect is one of the quality indicators of the manufacturers of heating devices. But sometimes unpleasant noise occurs even with a new boiler. It can last for some time until all parts of the boiler are in their place under the influence of temperature changes.
After a long period of operation and quite often the boiler starts making noise and humming, making uncomfortable sounds. This problem can have several causes, and only a specialist should eliminate them. It is important to do preventive and repair actions in time according to safety regulations.
The main causes of noise and humming
Let’s name the most common causes of boiler noise and humming:
- Oxygen oversaturation of the water in the heating system;
- Precipitation on components due to water circulation (incl.ч. in the heat exchanger);
- Fan failure;
- drop in gas pressure.
Oxygen oversaturation of water in the heating system
Noise or humming of the device can be monotonous or spontaneous with crackling. In the first case, this happens even with new boilers. In this case, such noises are usually produced by units that are connected to the heating system with natural circulation. The cause may be over-oxygenated water in the pipes. Then, when the water is heated, small bubbles form, making noise. The noise is not dangerous for the boiler operation. But a small nuisance is still present, as it creates discomfort by the noise in the pipes of the rooms. In this case, the system can be converted to a closed. The process of changing the type of system is to install valves on the boiler and change the expansion tank on the membrane. You can choose the weather-sensitive automatic system. These measures can help extend the life of the boiler.
Sediment on the parts from the circulation of water
But there are other reasons why the boiler hums. The fault may be in the sediment, which is formed as a result of water circulation. It is not pre-filtered, when heated after some time it forms a scale on the parts. Their functions weaken, extraneous noise from the process of work appears. Heat exchanger is the first to lose its ability. It is heated by the combustion of gas, transferring heat. Scale is formed not only on the walls of pipes and radiators, but also on the entire system. Narrows the passage for water, which provokes the appearance of steam. Such processes reduce equipment wear resistance and efficiency. A knocking noise can occur. This means that the system must be decalcified. Do cleaning with special chemicals. After that the boiler stops humming
Another common cause of boiler noise can be fan failure. It is responsible for cooling the system, removal of combustion products outside the room, smoke removal. A boiler specialist will determine the cause of the fan malfunction. It may be the location over the main heater or lack of lubrication. Often the part is simply clogged with dust. This part should be inspected, cleaned and the bearings lubricated. If necessary, it is worth changing the fan, so as not to buy a new boiler.
Reduction of gas pressure
Sometimes the boiler is noisy and humming due to depressurization. As a result, less water begins to circulate in the system, air congestion occurs, the boiler overheats and makes noise. The heat output of the appliance and its sections are reduced. It is enough to adjust the pressure. Most boilers are equipped with a lever for such cases. Know the optimum values and check the condition of the boiler regularly. The normal pressure is 1,5-2 atmospheres. Often a knock is heard from the piping and radiators, it means that air has entered the system and must be removed. If the pump itself is noisy, a factory defect is not excluded.
If the time to conduct preventive cleaning of the heat exchanger from scale, adjust the gas supply to the system, the pressure, you can prolong the life of your boiler. But remember, the exact cause of the noise in the boiler and the elimination of this problem can only be eliminated by a qualified specialist in heating systems.
The technique is noisy when heating water
Modern boilers work quietly, so vibration, noise, extraneous sounds should alert you. Which can be an indirect cause:
There are also quite specific reasons why the boiler hums.
The water in the pipes is over-oxygenated, causing bubbles when heated. This effect leads to increased noise and vibration not only of the device, but also of the batteries.
If the boiler is knocking and puffing, you need to bleed the air in the pipes. On modern radiators installed taps. By unscrewing them the accumulated air can be removed.
Large amounts of salts in the water cause them to deposit on the walls of the heat exchanger. Therefore, the unit will hiss when heated. In addition, it reduces the speed of heating and heat transfer. Once a year the radiator should be cleaned. Prepare a pump with reagent and pump the cleaning fluid through the hoses.
The fan works on models with a closed chamber and forced combustion products venting. Why does it make a strange noise when it rotates, whistling:
Grease in the bearings has dried up due to placement above the burner. High temperatures cause the lubricant to dry out quickly, leading to bearing wear. Disassembly and lubrication is performed.
Blades out of balance, accumulation of dirt and dust. Blades are cleaned and rotation is adjusted.
Excessive pressure in the heating pump
Pump is pumping at high pressure, you need to adjust the settings. Too much pressure in the system can cause an emergency. It can be adjusted by switching the white lever on the terminal box.
Lack of water in the system leads to serious overheating. First of all, check the thermostat values, set them lower. Measure the pressure, top up the coolant if necessary.
- If the boiler howls, it’s because the gas valve or bypass (jumper pipe) is not set correctly.
- When working at high power can rattle the gas meter.
- A worn valve makes rattling noises.
Why is the gas boiler humming??
There are cases when the boiler disturbs with its noise. Burner makes a noise like a jet airplane noise when the burner is operating. The gas boiler is noisy and can be heard throughout the house. It naturally disturbs your sleep, especially turning on after a pause. How to reduce the noise made by a gas boiler?
Usually, it is not the boiler and not the fan installed in it, but not the correct installation of the chimney noise. For the boiler to start making noise, it is enough to narrow the chimney, and you will have a sound like in an airport. Solution Change or widen the chimney.
Very frequent cases when gas equipment with supercharged burners begins to hum. The thing is that fan units are equipped with a stabilization system to regulate the pressure of gas supplied to the combustion chamber. When working, such a boiler hums like a vacuum cleaner. In order to minimize the unpleasant buzzing, the boiler room building should be located away from the house and well insulated.
Boiler can start humming due to a thick layer of plaque on the inside of the heat exchanger tube. Boiler starts to boil makes a sound, like the sound of water boiling kettle. Clogged primary heat exchanger. Check this as follows: set the maximum temperature on the boiler and turn off the return or supply tap so that there is minimal water flow. When you reach a temperature of about 80 degrees the hum increases. The only way to solve the problem is to clean the heat exchanger.
Amortization pad is a rubber sheet of thickness 10-12 mm or the same thickness rubber washers. To reduce noise, all connections should be sealed, rigid, the chimney additionally insulated with thermal insulation (basalt minerals, rockwool, glass, etc.). wool, etc.)
Sometimes, when you press the ignition button you hear whistling from the nozzle of the ignition burner. If there is air in the gas line or gas fitting, you must unscrew the nut at the connection of the gas tube to the gas fitting, press the ignition button, after loosening the tube, bleed the air until you smell gas. Screw the nut back on.
In case of the flame separation it is necessary to adjust the gas pressure of the ignition burner with the adjusting screw. Sometimes the nozzle is installed incorrectly, in which case it must be simply replaced. This situation occurs in domestic units. The nozzle can also have a factory defect, expressed as a lack of chamfer on the edge of the hole. When switching to a higher intensity mode, the gas flow bursts and the boiler starts whistling. The only way out in this case is to replace the nozzle.
Do not forget that gas boilers are explosive, so to fix the problems it is better to contact the specialists of “Tyumengasservice” by phone 8 3452 58-04-04.
There is a popping noise during ignition
When the gas boiler is noisy when turned on, with knocks, clicks and pops, this dilemma must be addressed immediately. Causes of noises:
- Problems with the three-way valve. It is used to switch the boiler from DHW to heating function and vice versa. If it clicks all the time, it must be replaced.
- The cause of the popping is the prolonged ignition of the spark. Too much gas builds up. And it flares up on ignition. Check the burner, igniter, electrode and all contacts.
- The filter or the chimney is clogged. It needs cleaning.
Checking the chimney shaft is carried out as follows:
A lit match is brought to the vent. If the fire deflects. the draft is normal. If it burns straight up. cleaning is required.
You can clean the shaft yourself. But their total cleaning is the prerogative of utilities.
If the gas heating boiler with automatic ignition is noisy, the cause lies in a clogged electrode. This element is cleaned and placed 3-4 mm from the burner itself.
- Clogged nozzles. It is necessary to turn off the gas for a while and clean them, using a thin wire.
- Installation mistakes. If the body of the apparatus is not hinged correctly, then the metal deforms when the cladding side is heated. Returns to its original shape when cooled. This action is observed in the case of pipes embedded in the walls. Then the gas boiler buzzes when you turn on the hot water. When installing pipes into the walls, a small space must be left for such deformations. expansions.
- The plates in the heat exchanger are severely clogged. Types of blockages: dust, soot, soot. It is necessary to remove the body and conduct a thorough cleaning of these elements. A special vacuum cleaner is used.
П. 5 and 6 are the most common answers to the dilemma of why the gas boiler makes noise when you turn on the hot water?
It is also worth checking the grid under the housing. Clean it if necessary.
- The heating pump is not working correctly. Resonance appears in the system. If this is observed only when the heating pump is on, then you need to fix its settings.
Always turn off the gas valve before carrying out any work. If you can smell gas, call the special service.
Check if the gas boiler is noisy. To reduce the vibration, it is worth laying a gasket under its body.
The equipment is noisy when heating water
Modern boilers operate quietly, so the vibration, noise, extraneous sounds should alert you. Which can be an indirect cause:
There are also quite specific reasons why the boiler hums.
Large amounts of oxygen
The water in the pipes is oversaturated with oxygen, which causes bubbles when heated. This effect causes increased noise and vibration not only of the unit, but also of the batteries.
Congestion of air in the system
If the boiler is knocking and puffing, it is necessary to bleed the air in the pipes. On modern radiators there are cocks. By unscrewing them, you can remove the accumulated air.
Large amounts of salts in water lead to their deposition on the walls of the heat exchanger. So the unit will hiss when heated. In addition the heating rate and heat output decreases. Once a year it is recommended to clean the radiator. Reagent pump is prepared, cleaning fluid is pumped through the hoses.
Operating problems with the fan
The fan works in models with a closed chamber and forced draining of combustion products. Why it makes strange noises when rotating, whistling:
- The lubrication in the bearings has dried out because of the placement above the burner. Under the influence of high temperatures grease dries quickly, which leads to wear of the bearing. The part is disassembled and lubricated.
Excessive pressure in the heating pump
The pump presses high pressure, its settings need to be adjusted. Too much pressure in the system can lead to an emergency situation. You can adjust the values by switching the white lever on the terminal box.
Lack of water in the system leads to serious overheating. First of all, check the thermostat values, set it lower. Measure the pressure, top up the coolant if necessary.
- If the boiler howls, the problem is in the wrong setting of the gas valve or bypass.
- The gas meter can rattle when running at high output.
- A worn valve makes a rattling noise.
Why does the gas boiler make a noise when heated??
There are many causes of alarming noise in a gas boiler. Each malfunction requires a different approach to fix it.
The fan above the burner fails
The fan provides blowing in the system for smoke removal and evacuation, and cleans the remains of gas combustion products. A common cause of fan failure is the operating time. The longer the boiler is in operation, the more the system parts wear out.
This is what a fan in a gas boiler looks like. Its breakage can cause unpleasant noise coming from the heating device.
- The fan is usually located above the burner. Constantly exposed to high temperatures, the bearing grease burns out. This is the cause of rapid wear and tear.
- Fan is clogged with dust and gas processing residue.
- Factory defect.
Help. There are characteristic sounds that signal a malfunction of the appliance. Listen to the operation of the boiler. If it makes clicking noises at short intervals the reason is the fan.
In order to repair the fan should be manipulated:
- First inspect the fan and clean it from the inside: the main blades are on the inside of the housing, you need to free them from accumulated dust and dirt, and then lubricate the bearings.
- If the problem is not solved and the boiler is still noisy, you can replace the valves with ball valves or install a rubber gasket.
- If the previous measures do not help, then you should reinstall the cooler. To do this you need to call a master and replace the worn-out device with a new one.
Limescale in the heat exchanger
The heat exchanger is a component of the boiler, which acts as an intermediary between the thermal energy of gas and water, which is heated by it. It causes scaling and limescale accumulation on the walls of radiator pipes and in the whole heating system.
The heat exchanger from the gas boiler with the scale formed on it. It makes the heating device noisy.
This often causes narrowing of the passage for water, which provokes the appearance of steam and small bubbles in the system. Limescale decreases the wear resistance of the equipment and the efficiency of the appliance. Breakdown is noticeable as early as 1520 minutes of continuous operation of the gas boiler.
Is Your Hot Water System Making A Strange Rumbling/Popping Noise?
Important! An alarming sign that a lot of lime deposits have accumulated in the heat exchanger, the characteristic sound. The appliance hisses, whistles, howls like a kettle during boiling.
Deposits lead to excessive overheating of the walls of the heat exchanger, causing them to warp.
To clean the appliance from contaminants, you should flush the heat exchanger, pipes and the rest of the heating system with a chemical solution.
Synopsis. In domestic stores there is a large number of chemicals that can quickly clean any scale. Consult with a gas service technician for the right choice.
First remove the heat exchanger itself. Next, remove the shell and unscrew the pipes connected to it. The chemical solution is poured inside the unit for 25 hours. If the design of the device is quite complicated, then to remove it yourself, use a flexible hose.
Insufficient water supply
Air locks can be the cause of the breakdown. They occur due to insufficient amount of water in the heating system.
The presence of air interferes with the proper circulation of water, which disrupts heat exchange in the heating network. The lack of fluid causes the boiler to overheat, which causes noise.
Fluctuating hot water on Boilers
The process of suffocation contributes to the following abnormalities:
Common causes that cause air to enter the heating system:
- Depressurization of the system during repair work on the risers;
- Full drainage of the mechanism
- disruption of the integrity of the system;
- The consequences of fixing some units during the summer preventive maintenance checks;
- Preventive work: replacement of heaters, risers and shut-off mechanisms.
Important! The heating system ㅡ bloat ㅡ is the first sign of a malfunctioning boiler. If there is not enough water in certain areas of the pipes, an air lock occurs. Part of the mechanism cools down, the water can not properly circulate through the system, and you hear a deafening whistling and howling in the clogged sections of the pipe.
In order to adjust the operation of the unit, you need to look at the thermostat and adjust it. Make sure the noise is not caused by the wrong thermostat. If everything is alright, you should add enough water or adjust the water flow and circulation through the whole heating system. Many water heaters have a lever for such cases.
If air is trapped in the system, use two proven ways to fix the cause of the problem:
- Mevskogo cocks is a small device that is installed at the end of the heater. It has a special nipple that unscrewing it provides access to the battery. Often warm air accumulates at the top of the radiator, there is also a Mayevsky valve.
Meyevsky valve. This device helps get rid of air locks in the heating system.
After the air is removed, fill the pipes with water and check the operation of the boiler.
Low pressure in the system
Causes of low pressure in the appliance:
- Water leakage from the heating system;
- A prolonged lack of electricity;
- Breakdown of the expansion tank in the boiler;
- The boiler is not set up or installed correctly;
- Boiler selected without regard to load requirements.
The unit may start making loud noises due to low pressure in the heating unit. When you notice a malfunction, first inspect the system for leaks. Use a cloth for this. Wipe down the appliance at joints and connections. Water is formed there during the pressure rise in the pipes. Leaks detected must be sealed.
Cracking can be the cause. Checking the malfunction, it is necessary to release all the water from the network, shut off the boilers and radiators, and then pump air with a compressor. You will hear whistling in places where there are microcracks or a weak connection, due to which the pressure has dropped.
Reference. The system stops working at low pressure. The gas pressure is directly related to the water pressure in the network. When water does not flow into the boiler, the gas pressure is reduced to a minimum. The boiler automatically shuts down.
It is necessary to know the optimum values and regularly check the condition of the boiler. The auxiliary systems that monitor the performance of the device display values. The normal pressure is 1.52 atmospheres.
How to Fix Noisy Boiler, Main Heat Only Boiler.
Malfunctions often occur in appliances with forced circulation.
If the pressure gauge indicates that the system pressure is below one atmosphere, you should try to manually add water by opening the make-up valve.
In the case when after make-up the arrow of the pressure gauge continues to go down, invite an experienced specialist, because further action without certain skills will exacerbate the problem.
To closely monitor the performance of the boiler, a manometer is installed in the system, which collects information about the pressure level.
If micro cracks are the cause of the breakage, fix the leak with packing material or sealant. If it is the faucet, replace it. When your heating system is built into the wall and there are no wet spots on it, you will need to contact a specialist, as you can only detect leaks with a thermal imaging camera.
The cause of microcracks is wear and tear of the heat exchanger. Occurs with frequent flushing of the device with reagents, which include alcohol, due to poor quality metal or hydraulic shocks with a sharp increase in pressure in the mains. In places where there are microcracks, you can observe the formed layer of scale. If it is easy to remove the heat exchanger, you can try to solder it.
Warning! Bithermal heat exchangers often can not be repaired because of the characteristic features of the design, which is why it is worth calling a master of heating systems.
The wrong setting is interfering with the operation of the appliance
Noise may have been caused by improper adjustment or installation. You can hear the gas valve or bypass howling. In addition, if you let the error during adjustment, the noise of the gas boiler can be for other reasons, for example, because of incorrect load distribution.
Synopsis. Operating at high power, a broken gas meter may rattle. This happens when the capacity of the equipment exceeds the required values. Vibration is caused by excessive pressure created by the pump.
A loud metal to metal banging can be heard as the heating structure heats up and cools down? Then there is uncompensated expansion of the heat in the unit. This happens when the mounting brackets on the radiators are installed incorrectly.
Loud noises are made by improperly working fan, designed to output the products of combustion.
This is caused by the bearings, the grease inside dries out over time. They should be checked and lubricated periodically. Blades must be cleaned of carbon residue and other debris.
What to do?
- If the gas valve whistles, you need to check its settings. Read the configuration to find out which settings you need to set. It details the proper instructions for operating the heating system.
- If the pump power in the device is higher than necessary, reduce the speed. To do this, turn the switch located under the cover on the terminal block.
- Air flow from the heating system passes through the brass air collector on the front panel. When you hear a pop, igniting a semi-automatic model, for prevention, clean the nozzle and the tube of the ignition burner from contamination.
- If the automatic boiler switches on with a loud pop, the ignition electrodes should be cleaned and their position corrected.
Noisy gas heating boiler
Loud noise when your gas boiler is running can be a sign of a faulty heating system. Extraneous noise, is caused by a broken fan, scale in the heat exchanger, or low pressure in the heating system. Definitely increased noise in the boiler requires the attention of a qualified professional. Such a malfunction should not be ignored for a long time, as it can aggravate the problem and lead to an emergency stop. Heavy noise from the boiler is a problem that can easily escalate into the purchase of a new one is incredibly expensive, and should be avoided.
If you notice that your gas boiler has become very noisy, crackling or gurgling, the only right solution for you is to have our service engineer investigate the problem. Worker from our company is a highly qualified specialist who specializes in the repair of central heating systems, repair of heating boilers, diagnosis and troubleshooting.
Boiler noises and hums? How to fix it!
The operation of a new, properly installed heating boiler is usually silent. This aspect is one of the quality indicators of the manufacturers of heating devices. But sometimes, even with a new boiler there is an unpleasant noise. This can last for some time, until all parts of the boiler fall into place under the influence of the temperature difference.
After prolonged operation and quite often the boiler begins to make noise and hum, making discomforting sounds. This problem may have several causes, and only a specialist should fix it. It is important to do preventive and repair actions in time according to safety regulations.
Experts on repair of gas boilers note that indirect or more serious reasons may affect the appearance of noise when heating water.
To begin with, it is necessary to examine not the most serious breakdowns, which can be corrected easily by yourself.
- Serious mistakes were made during installation or assembly of the equipment. To fix the problem, you need to check all the parts and connections. If there is no experience in locksmith work, it is desirable to call a master who was engaged in installation. It will correct its shortcomings.
- The gas boiler, like any other equipment, must be properly configured to work in specific conditions. If the owner of the equipment has made mistakes, then when heating water, there may be a lot of noise. The only way to solve the problem is to carefully read the instructions and make the necessary adjustments.
- Boiler may begin to hum because it is old. If the equipment was bought many years ago, it is likely that some of the nodes are out of order. In this case only replacement with new equipment will help.
These problems have rather vague character. If the boiler starts humming, you can start by checking these three items, perhaps one of them will help fix the problem. Such operations can be performed in a fairly short period of time. But if the gas heating boiler makes a lot of noise when heating water, it is necessary to look for more clear and serious causes.
3 main reasons
- One of the main reasons why the boiler hums when heating the liquid, is the high concentration of oxygen in the water that flows through the pipes of the device. Because of this, a large number of bubbles can form in it when heated. This effect forms not only a strong hum, but also tangible vibrations. A clear sign of an increased concentration of oxygen. the gas boiler hums and the batteries connected to it vibrate.
- A large amount of air has accumulated in the installed system. If when heating water you hear a strong puffing and even banging, it is necessary to remove air from the pipes. Modern boilers are equipped with special taps, they must be opened to vent the air and fix the problem.
- Another common problem that causes a strong humming noise when heating water. Build-up of salts that are deposited in the heat exchanger. To fix the problem it will be necessary to open the gas boiler. If its walls are covered with salts, then you were able to find the cause of the humming. Due to the accumulation of salts, the technique begins to work very loudly when heating water. The walls of the heat exchanger should be thoroughly cleaned and flushed. It is important to note that the heat output and heating dynamics can also be affected. At first the hum will come from the heat exchanger, which is located in the gas boiler.
The fan is usually connected to a special compartment, through which the products of combustion are eliminated. If the fan is clogged, then the boiler begins to work very noisy. You can even hear a whistling sound.
There are several reasons for fan failure:
- The condition of the bearings should be checked first. They should be located directly above the burner. It is possible that the grease which should be filled inside has evaporated or leaked out. In this case it is necessary to disassemble the device and grease the parts. It is important to read the manual before doing so and find out what kind of grease is appropriate for the model of equipment you are using.
- If the problem is not eliminated by replacing the grease, it will be necessary to check the balance of the blades. Since a large amount of combustion products comes out through the pipes, a large amount of dirt can stick to the blades. As a result, they will start to rotate very loudly and create an unpleasant hum. To restore the performance of the fan it is necessary to carry out a thorough cleaning of the blades, and then properly adjust their rotation through balancing.
Excessive pressure in the heater pump
If none of the above methods does not help eliminate the problem, you need to check the pump in the boiler, which can be very noisy when the pressure changes in the system. In this situation, you will have to readjust it. If too much pressure is forming in the pump, the first sign of this is the appearance of humming.
In the future, this can lead to an emergency situation that is life-threatening. To change the settings of the equipment, it is necessary to put the white lever on the box where the terminals are located in another position. Usually the problem disappears.
You need the right setting so that the boiler works without extraneous noise when heating water. If the machine is severely overheated, this can lead to the problem in question.
You can also adjust the gas valve or bypass on the gas boiler, which is also called the jumper. If it starts humming when heating water, then these parts need to be adjusted.
You’ve got popping noises
If you hear clicking or popping noises at startup, check the following parts:
- Three-way valve. This is the switch from DHW to heating. If a clicking sound is heard during operation, the valve must be replaced.
- The spark takes a long time to ignite. If the burner is unstable, the spark may not appear immediately. This will begin to form a buildup of gas. As soon as ignition occurs, it flashes and you can hear popping sounds. To fix the problem you need to check the burner and igniter, as well as all the contacts.
- The chimney or filter is clogged with dirt. The solution is a thorough cleaning. The chimney is checked with a lit match. It is necessary to bring it to the vent, if the flame ripples, then the system works properly.
If these parts are checked, replaced or cleaned, the boiler will stop making clicking noises every time it is ignited.
The gas boiler is an essential thing in a private home. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully study the instructions for it when buying, to learn about the available parts of the device, which may have to be repaired. If you take proper care and timely adjustment of the equipment, clean certain parts, then in this way you can reduce the likelihood of extraneous noise in the boiler when heating water. The appliance will operate normally.