What to do if the microwave oven sparks inside
Microwave oven interfaces can be represented by touch buttons and a display. In such a case, in order to locate the malfunction, check the error code beforehand. The unit will make its own diagnostics and indicate the fault or error.
The microwave oven is sparking. Repair yourself.
If a pushbutton interface is used, then a mechanical timer and manual mode switches are present. Looking for a breakdown in this case is easier:
To determine the problem it is necessary to ring the built-in fuse which is located in the power supply of the microwave oven control unit.
Using a voltmeter, check the voltage at the transformer’s input terminal (with the terminals and the plug disconnected).
If after setting and powering on the timer there is no voltage, then your microwave oven control needs repairing. Control unit is defective.
To make microwave oven repair with your own hands you need a set of professional tools, special devices, elements, as well as knowledge of radio engineering. Find on the Internet and download the schematic diagram of a similar unit (since each board contains an individual circuit) or remove the module from the housing yourself and take it to a workshop. You can also buy a new control unit and make a replacement.
To conclude, microwave oven malfunction is caused by improper use. When you have a microwave oven in your home must treat it very carefully and follow all the advice of the manufacturers, both in terms of operation and maintenance.
Prevention of malfunction
After prolonged use let the microwave oven cool down.
Proper care and operation according to the instructions will prolong the life of the microwave oven:
- Clean the inside regularly;
- Use glass and hollow glassware
- Make sure that no foreign objects fall into the chamber;
- Only use the grill for baking;
- Do not close the lids tightly;
- Do not place large containers that rub against the surface of the chamber while rotating;
- the foil covering the food must have holes more than 2 cm from the edge of the plate;
- Do not put eggs and nuts for cooking in the chamber.
When washing the oven cavity, inspect the enamel. Cracks and chips in the coating expose the metal of the cabinet and cause crackling and arcing.
It is advisable to cover the form for baking meat or put the food in a deep dish, so that the fat does not splash on the walls and the protective mica plate.
With proper care, your microwave oven will last for years. If it starts to spark, calmly deal with the cause and repair it yourself.
Checking the enamel and the coupler
Crackling and sparks can often be caused by a damaged chamber surface. Every time you wipe the microwave oven, you should inspect the enamel, which will avoid serious problems. First wash the microwave thoroughly inside and outside. Next, the plate is removed and the tripod-style coupler, which is located below, is inserted into the slots.
Carefully inspect the surface and restore the damaged areas with a special product called kitchen equipment enamel. Apply the enamel on the damaged place, after carefully scrubbing it with a fine-grained emery cloth. The area must be cleaned from dust with a vacuum cleaner. The product is applied according to the instructions, and you can use the microwave only after the composition is completely dry.Important! The enamel is better to take from an international manufacturer. Always read the description of the cure, making sure that it is suitable for microwave ovens and not for other kitchen appliances. In addition, you should read in advance whether the enamel to be purchased needs a primer.The blackness must be washed off the coupler. If it is deformed, buy a new one, since the old one can no longer be used.
History of appearance
According to legend, the microwave oven (colloquially called the “microwave“) was invented quite by accident. Can you believe it?? Legend has it that it happened in the army of the United States of America, when one of the military forgot about his hamburger, which he left in front of the radar. And under the influence of radar radiation, a cold piece of meat in a hamburger turned into a juicy, hot and appetizing steak. On this occasion, scientists had the idea of creating a device that could quickly heat food without taking up too much space. The microwave oven was invented, and quickly became popular among all segments of the population.
Microwave has become an indispensable kitchen appliance. It can be used to cook a variety of dishes, using both fresh and semi-finished products. But basically, its main purpose is to heat food. After all, it only takes a few minutes to make your dish more appealing and delicious to eat.
However, along with a lot of positive qualities, the microwave has problematic places associated with frequent breakdowns. All this causes inconvenience to their owners and requires additional financial investment and time for repair work.
To keep your microwave oven for a long time, you need to take care of it. Washing the inside of the chamber prevents all parts from burning and breaking. Frequent use without interruptions may also lead to fire. Keep all internal and external parts clean and tidy so that the microwave oven will last a long time.
History of Appearance
According to legend, the microwave oven (commonly known as the “microwave”) was invented quite by accident. Can you believe it? Legend has it that it happened in the U.S. Army, when one of the military forgot about his hamburger, which he left in front of the radar. And under the radar’s radiation, the cold piece of meat in the burger turned into a juicy, hot and appetizing steak. On this occasion, scientists had the idea to create a device that can quickly heat food without taking up much space. That’s how the microwave oven was created, which quickly became popular among all segments of the population.
The microwave oven has become an indispensable item in our lives. With it you can prepare a variety of dishes, using both fresh products and semi-finished products. But mostly the main purpose is to heat food. After all, it only takes a few minutes, and your dish will be more attractive and tasty to eat.
However, along with a lot of positive qualities, the microwave oven has problematic places associated with frequent breakdowns. All this causes inconvenience to their owners and requires additional financial investment and time to make repairs.
What to do if the microwave oven sparks?
Check the device
- Never turn on the microwave if there is nothing in it. Do not go to the other extreme and overload the oven.
- Check regularly to make sure that the enamel is not damaged in any place.
- Do not use metal dishes or containers for cooking or heating food that are too large or that could come into contact with the microwave and damage the enamel.
- If you use foil, make sure that it does not touch the walls, and keep the space between the rolls of foil (in case you put a few) at least 2 cm, in order not to create an electric arc.
- Do not operate the microwave for more than an hour and a half, so as not to overheat the individual parts.
No more than an hour and a half
Advice: If you are not quite sure that you can independently determine the causes of crackling and sparks from the microwave, it is better to contact professionals who work in service and warranty centers. After all, it may be that a particular unit of the device has burned out or the contacts have simply come loose.
How to repair a sparking microwave: step-by-step instructions
Diagnosing the appliance, you need to carefully study all the working elements, so as not to miss the little things. Repair of a sparking appliance is done in stages:
- Disconnecting the unit from the mains.
- Removing the screws on the back of the equipment, after which the body is removed.
- Inspection of units and internal components is performed after checking the plug and cord for sources of damage.
- Examining the fuse filament for damage.
- Replacing the diffuser cover in the event of a fire.
- Check the cap and the magnetron itself for quality operation.
- After replacing defective parts, all parts are reinstalled.
- Check the appliance for proper operation by loading the chamber.
Unplug the oven Wash the inside of the cavity Carefully remove the disperser Take out the magnetron Check the magnetron for proper operation Change the mica plate
Attention! To fix such damages yourself, you do not need to be a master in microwave oven repair, the main thing is to follow the recommendations contained in the instructions attached to the device.
How To Fix An Arcing Microwave For FREE! Don’t Throw It Away Until You Watch This Video!
Replacement of the waveguide cover
Before changing the plate, let’s talk about the features of the material.
Since the cover of the waveguide is made of mica sheet, which does not accumulate electricity, has heat resistance and environmental friendliness, it perfectly meets all necessary requirements. The material is inexpensive and readily available. Also a feature of mica is the ability to reuse the plate if the old sample is not damaged, but only contaminated.
Mica has a porous surface, so it absorbs all the grease that can get on the waveguide, which causes the microwave oven cracks and sparks inside.
If the problem is only an unusable mica plate, it is sufficient to replace it with a new plate.
For the convenience of work, we recommend using the recommendations of the experts:
- A sharp cutter and a metal ruler will be handy tools for cutting the plate to the right size;
- A drill or puncher is excellent for making holes for fasteners;
- Sharp edges of the cut plate is better processed with fine-grained sandpaper;
- Clean where you can see dirt from removing the old plate, and only then proceed to install the new part.
Steps to fix the breakage:
- Unplug the microwave oven.
- Remove the cover of the waveguide by unscrewing the fastening screw and release it from the grooves.
- Assess the damage to the waveguide. If there are no large bumps or burrs inside, it is without serious consequences.
- Remove the furnace housing and disconnect the power supply terminals by removing the screws connecting the magnetron with the waveguide.
- Assess the condition of the magnetron. If the cap covering the antenna has light arcing marks on its surface in the form of small spots, the device can be saved.
- Use sandpaper to grind the surface of the cap. Remove metal dust from its surface with a rag soaked in alcohol. Put the magnetron back in its place and turn on the power.
- Clean all grease and dirt from the waveguide and emery all black spots around its window. Remove the debris.
- Replace the cover of the waveguide in its place. If it is defective, replace it with a new one.
- Connect the device to the socket.
- Test the oven. To test the operation, place a glass of water inside the heating chamber and turn on the program. Heat the water until it boils. The functional test was successful when the water boils and there is no sparking.
If the surface of the magnetron antenna cover is melted nevertheless, the cover will have to be replaced. It is often removed from the faulty device by hand, gently rocking it from side to side. The use of pliers or pliers is not permissible because of the high probability of damage or deformation.
Ensure that the antenna is intact before replacing the cap. It is important that the part is set at the same height as before.
Synopsis. Since the waveguide is a fixed part of the device, if it is badly damaged, you will have to say goodbye to the device.
Most appliance failures are caused by untimely removal of grease deposits from the inner walls. But it is important not only to remove grease deposits, but also to monitor the removal of condensation, which is formed by the release of steam.
If you do not notice the beginning of corrosion in time and continue to use the stove, it will soon be in disrepair. over, foci of unprotected metal have electrical conductivity, i.e. microwaves are reflected from the metal and begin to affect the radiator, which will eventually lead to its overheating.
Procedure for the detection of traces of corrosion in a small manifestation:
- Sand away chips and rust with coarse sandpaper.
- Remove dust and debris.
- Surface treatment with a fine grit emery cloth and degreasing with a solvent.
- Priming with GF-021, GF-0119, FL-03K, PF-0244 solutions, with the condition of exact repetition of the bottom relief.
- Smoothing with an alkyd putty and sanding with a fine emery cloth.
- Waiting for complete drying.
- Application of 2-3 layers of enamel and drying of each layer for at least 20 hours at 20ºC.
- After drying the equipment is ready for safe and efficient operation.
Important! Pay attention to the composition of the solutions used: they should not contain harmful substances. The best for the protection and prevention of corrosion are food organic dyes, electrical conductive and acrylic aerosol.
In the case of formation of a through hole in the body of the device, at home it can be eliminated with gauze and glue with a two-component composition.