What to do if the pump of the washing machine makes noise
Absolutely silent washing machines do not exist. even after the correct installation this technique will make certain sounds. And we will talk not at all about them, but about those sounds that appear in the work of SM quite suddenly. Especially often the owners of the CMM are concerned about the noise of the drain pump, which manifests itself when wringing the laundry.
Let’s find out why the washing machine pump is noisy and how to eliminate the hum with your own hands.
Admissible noise norms of the machine
The normal noise level values are contained in the manual, measured in decibels and depend on the type of actuator. Most existing washing machines use a belt drive, which makes between 60 and 72 dB of noise. Since 2005, units with direct drive have appeared on the market. This development of LG has a reduced noise level of 52-70 dB.
To measure the noise level without special equipment, of course, it is difficult. For ease of perception, you can use a comparison with the familiar sounds. For example, the noise of a train on the subway is 95 dB, but the sound of a cooker hood in the kitchen is about 50-55 dB. In any case the sound made by the washing machine should not cause discomfort or anxiety for the mistress.
If you find that the machine washes too noisy when washing, you need to understand the causes of the problem.
Bolts for transporting the tank
To deliver the equipment from the production to the apartment in good condition, special clamps and packaging are used. But everything is more complicated with a washing machine, since it consists of many moving parts. Manufacturers install shipping bolts that fix the shock-absorbing springs.
How to fix a waxed jacket that was washed or is cracking
As the bolts fix the tank in a stationary state, it is strictly forbidden to turn the machine on with them. If the washing machine is running, it is recommended to cancel the program. It is necessary to unscrew all the bolts on the back of the machine. The number of locks specified in the manual, as a rule, they are 4, 3 or 2 pieces.
- Unscrew the screws with a simple wrench or adjustable wrench. Loosen them, remove them carefully and put them back.
- Close the resulting holes with special plugs or plugs. Otherwise dust and moisture will enter the washing machine.
Tip: Do not throw away the transport bolts, as you may need them in the future.
How to avoid noise: useful tips
To avoid making a lot of noise when running the washing machine and other problems, it’s worth studying the instructions before using it. Make sure the drum is not overloaded with laundry. Before you put things in the drum, you need to empty the s of small debris and objects. Any fittings that are not securely attached to the fabric should also be removed before washing.
To keep your washing machine running as long as possible you need to keep the drainage system clean: clean the filter, pump.
If the water in the region is too hard, you should add softeners (Calgon) when washing. It is useful to install filters (polyphosphate, magnetic, ionic or reverse osmosis system). They will not only soften the water, but also rid it of harmful impurities.
Be sure to use detergents designed for the automatic machine. This is to prevent fouling of the heater.
Following simple rules of operation and careful attitude towards the washing machine can extend its life for many years.
The motor pulley is damaged
A defective pulley washer can make a loud noise during spinning. The pulley is what runs the belt that rotates the drum of the washing machine.
The pulley can be made of plastic or metal. It can simply be worn out or loose due to frequent starting of the machine with a large amount of laundry. To determine if the drive pulley is causing the noise, you need to disassemble the washer and inspect the pulley for damage.
What to do if the washing machine clicks
In each of the above cases, except for decorative items of clothing, the repair process requires some knowledge of repair, because if you do it incorrectly, the machine may simply not turn on again.
Important! Before carrying out self-repair, it is necessary to check that the washing machine has been disconnected from the power supply.
The most difficult part is the installation of the cause of the failure. First, it is worth checking the fixing of bolts, tighten the loose parts and plant some of them, such as the pulley, on the sealant.
Repaired in time the machine will serve for a very long time
However, it is best to call a master at home. The master will carry out diagnostics and will precisely define and eliminate the source of sounds.
Causes of noise and banging during spinning
First of all, it should be said that the noise can be acceptable, and can be caused by a malfunction. It is in the latter case, the machine begins its “songs” and “dances”. Consider the main causes of such a brisk behavior of the washing machine. There can be many of them, but most often there are the following.
- The bearings or seals on the drum drive. shaft and cross. are defective. In addition to the knocking, noise and vibration, there may be a burnt smell from the oil seals. It is often the destruction of the oil seal that causes the bearing wear and tear. particles of oil, dust or moisture in the bearing are bad for the bearing. When the bearing breaks down, it produces a distinctive “iron” squeal and creaking. Creaks are followed by knocking and noise. Naturally, the drum and the entire machine vibrate a lot.
- Parts of the drum suspension. springs or shock absorbers. are defective. Also possible destruction of the fasteners (lugs) and dampers for these parts. In this situation, a knock, squeak and vibrations during spinning are inevitable.
- The counterweight or its mounts are loose, slack or cracked. What is it? Usually, it is a figured heavy balance weight made of concrete or cast iron. It is found at the very bottom of the machine, in the corners or on the sides. It gives the body of the machine stability and reduces vibration during operation, especially at high speeds. Of course, the worse its fastening and integrity, the more the machine jumps and knocks.
- Entry of a foreign small object between the wall of the drum and the tank. It can be anything. a coin, a bolt, a button. Such a situation may be accompanied by knocking and noise during the entire washing, more strongly felt during the spin.
- Weakening or destruction of fasteners of various internal parts of the machine. In this case the noise can be caused by the fallen off hose, line filter, pump body. they just bump against the machine or tank during the operation.
- Another simple and common cause of increased noise is that you forgot to remove the shipping bolts when installing the washing machine. This is common, especially when work is done in a hurry. In some cases, you also need to remove the plastic bushings for these bolts.
- Improper installation of the washing machine also causes noise and vibration during operation. The washing machine must be aligned strictly horizontally, for this purpose its feet have adjustments that allow you to raise or lower the desired side. Install the unit either on a level poured floor (concrete, solid slab) or on a thick and hard, but springy rubber mat. You should not put the machine on a thin rubber mat. it will quickly sell out.
The above factors are the most common causes of knocking and noise in the washing machine during the spin cycle. But this list is not complete, there may be many more reasons. It all depends on the specific case.
In addition to these reasons, we would like to mention a few others. For example. the presence of water in the drum, which leads to imbalance in time of its rotation and it begins to hum. Another thing is what caused the water in the drum? As a rule. because of a clogged drain filter or poor operation of the pump.
Another cause is improperly unrolled or clumped laundry. This is especially noticeable on narrow machines. The presence of buckles and clasps in the laundry hitting the walls of the drum is a direct source of noise and knocking.
Samsung WF520A VRT washer high speed spin makes crackling and crunching sounds. Is normal?
The belt slipping off the pulley for various reasons is also the source of noisy and poor performance of the machine. And the tank catching on the cuff of the hatch is usually accompanied by whistling.
Finding the cause and correcting the problem
It is necessary to pay attention, when exactly the drum begins to make noise.
If the drum knocks when rotating, it may be due to imbalance. When few or only one large garment is loaded for washing, they crumple and fall to one side in the process. Therefore, the drum starts banging against the walls of the tank, resulting in extraneous sounds.
- Stop the cycle or put it on pause. If there is water inside the washer. drain it out.
- Open the small hatch to drain. it is located at the bottom, under the front panel.
- Unscrew filter by placing a container to collect water.
- After unlocking the door open the door and hands evenly arrange the laundry.
Such a malfunction, such as imbalance, is characteristic of washing machines of old production. As in the new models, the manufacturers have provided the function “Protection against imbalance”.
The washing machine has not been installed correctly
In this case, the drum knocks when it picks up speed. for example, when spinning. At the same time I feel a strong vibration and the whole structure rattles. How to check whether the installation has been carried out correctly:
The machine must stand on a flat surface, with the feet in firm contact with the floor. If you are unable to level the feet, use silicone pads which you can buy in stores.
Foreign object blocked
What are the signs that there is an object in the drum:
If even after cleaning from the laundry in the drum something rumbled, probably a coin, a button got caught, debris from s could clog. Let the case on its own, you can not, otherwise it could lead to jamming the drum.
Object can be removed by bending the door collar or pulling out the heating element. In complicated cases, you will have to remove the tank from the housing.
The same signs are seen in a loose line filter.
Because the filter is fastened to the back wall of the CMM body, it constantly strikes the tank during operation.
To fix it, remove the top cover. To do this, unscrew the two screws on the back, slide the cover away from you and remove it from the cabinet. Check the filter fasteners: if they are OK, fasten the filter back in place. If broken. replace them.
The bearings are worn out
What else can make the machine squeak when cranking? The rattle and noise tells about the bearing wear. And if you hear the washing machine humming and whistling, it means the bearings are at the end of their working life and need to be replaced urgently.
How to be sure of a malfunction without disassembling the washing machine:
- Turn the drum by hand, if you notice a non-uniform rotation. the bearing began to wear out.
- Rock the drum up and down with your hand. If it moves away from the tank so much that a gap (hole) is formed, then the bearing is about to fail.
Replacing the bearing in the drum is an inexpensive but time-consuming repair. But if not replaced in time, it will cause damage to the tank and crosshead. As a result, it would be cheaper to buy a new washing machine.
To replace the bearing, you’ll need to buy a repair kit and completely disassemble the machine to pull out the tank with the drum. If your machine squeaks, do it as soon as possible.
The counterweight is loose
Since the drum itself is light, counterweights are used to weight it down, rotate it evenly, and dampen vibration. If the counterweight’s fasteners are loose and it’s loose, you’ll hear a rattling noise and feel a lot of vibration.
- Remove the front of the washer. Usually two counterweights are attached to the front of the tank.
- After removing the top cover, pull out the dispenser tray by pressing the latch in the center.
- Unscrew the bolts that secure the control panel.
- Release the plastic latches using a flathead screwdriver.
- Disconnect the control panel and place it on the housing.
- Remove the base plate. Now you have access to the front panel mounts.
- Remove all bolts around the perimeter, remove the front panel.
Check the counterweights, fix them in place. If one of the counterweights is destroyed (this is rare, but happens with concrete stones), you need to replace it with a new part.
Dampers are defective
If the shock absorbers are worn or their springs are stretched, the vibrations will not be dampened when the machine is running. You may hear a clicking noise, like a ratchet. As a result of imbalance, the tank tilts to one side and hits the walls and other parts of the machine.
Shock absorbers can not be repaired, they can only be replaced. To do this, remove the rear panel of the washing machine by unscrewing the bolts around the perimeter. Underneath the tank are the shock absorbers. Replace them with your own hands is not difficult:
- Remove the bottom bracket of the shock absorber. You need to unscrew the bolt.
- To remove the upper part, it is necessary to pull out the rods. Fasten a nut on the back of the stem to neutralize the latch.
- Using pliers, pull the stem from the other side and pull out together with the shock absorbers.
Now you know why the drum knocks. Do not start the problem, and inspect at the first sign of trouble.