How to connect the dishwasher to the drain with your own hands
The dishwasher, like the washing machine, has long since changed from a gimmick to a very important household appliance. Proper technological connection of the dishwasher drain to the sewage system means long-term operation of the device itself and especially the drain pump.
Is Your Dishwasher Drain Installed Properly?
Selecting the PM and connection peculiarities
Before you buy a dishwasher, it’s a good idea to know where to put it. It will be built into an old or new kitchen set? When ordering new furniture, the niche for the dishwasher is provided in advance, taking into account its parameters. But if the kitchen is already ready, then it is better to choose a place close to the sink. Why it is undesirable to install far from the drain? Here are some facts:
- Too much distance would put too much strain on the drain pump. This will lead to rapid wear and tear of parts and pump failure.
- You’ll need a hose extension, since the items that come in the set are quite short.
Some users advise how to facilitate the task. For example, the drain hose can be lowered into the sink. But we do not recommend it for the following reasons:
- have to constantly clean the sink from grease and pieces of food that fall into the drain after washing dishes;
- The unpleasant smell in the kitchen is ensured;
- the high position of the hose increases the load on the pump;
- It is not safe: if the hose slips off, there will be a flood; in addition, the protection against leakage may not work, because the seal is broken.
We recommend to organize the connection of the drain to the drain. How to do it correctly, we will now tell you.
- Install a separate socket and bring the power line to it;
- separate water intake;
- ensure that the used water drains down the drain;
- make a test run of the dishwasher.
Stage One. power supply. The easiest way to connect the dishwasher to the power supply is to plug it into the socket, which must be specially installed during the repair work in the apartment or house.
- you should avoid the use of tees and extension cords when connecting, because the power consumed by the appliance is large enough, which can cause damage to the equipment and even cause a fire;
- The dishwasher must not be connected to a power socket that is suitable for an electric stove;
- To install the socket in the desired location must be from the switchboard to bring a wire with a diameter of at least 2 millimeters. A circuit breaker with a current rating of 16 A must be installed in the switchboard. This device will automatically turn off the power supply if the maximum permissible load in the network is exceeded;
- When you do the work yourself to connect the dishwasher, remember that grounding can be ensured if the cable that leads to the socket is three-wire. Experts recommend not grounding electrical appliances to gas, water or heating pipes, as this is extremely dangerous.
Step two. water supply. The water supply for the dishwasher must take place through the outlet provided for this type of appliance.
- On the outlet, which serves for the water supply, install a filter to trap rust and sand;
- if the appliance has no special protection against accidental leaks, when connecting the dishwasher to the water source it is necessary to install a shut-off valve in front of the filter. This device prevents tap water from running into the dishwasher (read: “Connecting the dishwasher to the water supply. example diagram”). Otherwise flooding of the room where the dishwashing appliances are installed is possible. In order to avoid the need to close the shut-off valve after each use of the dishwasher, an additional protection such as Aqua Stop or Aqua-Control or a similar device is installed;
- If the length of the hoses provided with the dishwasher is insufficient to connect the machine to the water mains, they can be extended;
- Some models have the option of connecting the appliance to hot water. This function allows you to save energy consumed for heating water during operation of the unit. According to experts, in apartment buildings with centralized hot water supply, connecting the dishwasher to it is undesirable. The thing is that such water has special additives, which prevent the deposition of rust in the pipes, which negatively affects the operation of dishwashers.
Connecting the dishwasher to the drain is done in several ways:
Option one. The simplest way is considered the drainage of waste water through a siphon, which is equipped with a special valve and an additional outlet. A valve prevents water from getting into the dishwasher unit from the sink or sewer system.
Option two. An additional protection, when the dishwasher is connected to the sewer, against the penetration of waste water into the unit is the correct location of the hose for the drain. The hose connected to the appliance must be fixed to the kitchen furniture or wall no more than 60 cm from where it enters the drain. Then bend the hose so that the water flows by gravity into the siphon.
Option three. Before you connect the dishwasher to the drain, make sure that the standard length of the hose (this is 1.5 meters) is sufficient. If necessary, its length can be increased, but no more than 2 times. The reason for the restriction is that it may adversely affect the operation of the pump in the presence of additional load.
There are two ways to connect the drain to the drainpipe.
1 way to connect the drain
If the dishwasher is to be installed next to a kitchen sink, the drain from the machine can be connected to the kitchen sink siphon. To do this, reinstall the sink siphon. Install a siphon with additional drainage pipes. siphons come with one or two additional drains.
The 2nd way to connect the drain
It is possible to arrange the drainage from the machine directly into the drainage pipe. It should be remembered that the drain from the dishwasher must be located at a height of not less than 40 cm from the placement level of the machine. This is to prevent the machine from sucking dirty water from the sewer during operation.
If the apartment sewer is located below 40 cm, you need to bend the outlet hose at the inlet to the sewer in the form of a reverse letter U.
If you connect the washer and dishwasher drains to the drainage pipe at the same time, install check valves on both drains. They will prevent dirty water from pouring back into the machines.
ways to connect the dishwasher.
The installation and connection of the dishwasher can be divided into 3 steps:
Let us consider in detail, with an indication of common mistakes, exactly the stages of installation to the utilities and communications.
To connect the dishwasher to the 220V mains you will need not a lot of materials:
The dishwasher is not a high power consumer, such as a hob (7 kW and up). It typically operates on less than 2.0-2.5kW.
Modern models have an “A” or “A” power consumption class. That is to say, in a year, your meter will run about 220 kW.
Despite this, it is still advisable for the connection of the washing machine, at the stage of renovation to lay in a separate hole in a separate cable line.
If you have a repair is long over, and after buying equipment do not want to re-string the walls and damage the wallpaper, you can do and existing socket. Just make sure it is protected by a RCD.
The socket should be placed at a comfortable height. up to 90cm from the floor level.
Place it on the right or left side of the washer, but not behind it.
Also note that the total length of the cord and plug on these appliances is rarely more than 1.0-1.5m. On this basis, and choose a place for the socket, so as not to have to later use the extension cord.
The socket itself must of course be earthed. But not everyone has this very grounding. Especially in apartments of old stock.That’s why many people use ordinary ones, and everything seems to work fine. However, the level of protection will no longer be sufficient.
Roughly speaking, if there is an earthing contact and there is a leakage current, you can not even turn on the RCD. The consequences of these leaks, even of small magnitude, can be very lethal.
With a simple socket, the disabling will happen only at the moment when you touch the body, which is already energized.
And that very same electric shock, at least at the initial moment, you’re still going to feel it.
Connecting the dishwasher to the water supply can be done in two ways.
The first is when you are at the stage of construction or major repairs, and can afford to lay separate pipes, drilled through the walls, etc.п.
The second is when you have already installed the entire kitchen and completed all the finishing work. You bought a dishwasher and you need to connect it all somewhere, to the existing water supply and sewage system with minimal alterations and hassle.
For a complete installation will require a variety of materials:
At installation of pipes the bell-mouthed method is used. For this you will need a special device for soldering polypropylene pipes.
The total length of the pipe and the number of fittings are selected individually. It depends on how far away the dishwasher is from the cold water manifold.
First, you mark the route where the pipes will be laid from the distribution collector to the place of installation of the washing machine.
After that, you cut with a strompel cutter to the required depth.
Next, connect the connectors PPR with coupling nut to one of the outlets collector.
Cut a piece of pipe to fit the first bend or corner. Do not forget to leave a margin for connections on each side by 15 mm.
Connect the pipe and fittings by soldering, controlling the position of the angle.
After connecting all pipes along the marked area, at the very end mount the water socket. Be sure to secure it to the wall.
Next, screw a ¾” male thread bracket into the water inlet.
Mount the water inlet hose on the elbow.
The AquaControl or AquaStop system that it might be equipped with should shut off the water supply automatically in case of leakage.
Turn on the water and check the entire system. If everything is okay, you can finally close the grommet.
It remains to connect the drain hose from the washing machine to the sewage outlet through the reducing collar of the corresponding diameter.
And the drain hose itself to have a bend at 70cm from the floor. That’s why it is attached to the top of the dishwasher, but not so it won’t dangle.
It remains to plug the washer into the socket and check the functionality of the whole system. After what to fix in specially prepared aperture.
By the way, some models, like Siemens, have non-standard sizes. Therefore, think through the kitchen furniture in advance.
When installing in the opening, do not forget about the metal plate, which must be nailed to the bottom of the countertop (on the model from Bosch).
This thing is assembled right along the edge and plays the role of steam shielding, like screen. With it, the countertop will not swell from the steam.
Many people, for some reason, throw it out and replace it with aluminum tape, attaching it to both the countertop and the sides of the machine.
Electrolux, instead, comes with something like a piece of rubber that sticks to the sticky side.
After installation and connection, the first wash should be done without dishes, using powder or special tablets for cleaning.
Such a procedure should destroy all the bacteria and deposits formed after long storage in the store.
There is a simpler version of connecting the dishwasher, in which there is no need to pull separate pipes for the drain and water supply.
It is different in that its design already has a place to connect the drain hose. a nipple, and sometimes two.
Of course it is possible to remake the drain, installing there a pipe with an additional branch and a seal.
The whole thing is inserted by hand, without the use of any special.tools.
However, do not forget that the connection of dishwashers and washing machines directly into the sewage pipe, can be accompanied by the appearance of unpleasant odors.
Such a connection experts advise to do through a check valve.
Kinking or bending the hose at height, which should act as an alternative to the valve, only helps with constant use of the technique. Of course, you will not get any water in the return pipe.
However, should the system stand for a couple of weeks without work and water (for example, in the country house or at the cottage), everything will dry out and the stench in the kitchen will be quite sensitive.
That’s where the water actually flows into the machine. It is installed instead of the standard connector, coming from the cold water to the faucet.
Screw this T-piece into the cold water inlet hose or pipe.
Then you replace the siphon. Unscrew the screw from the top, holding the bottom of the siphon itself, so it does not fall down.
Disconnect the drain from the drainage system. To do this, just pull it towards you with force. It should come out of the rubber retainer.
Assemble a new siphon from the components, not forgetting the gaskets and install it in place of the old.
Connect the flexible pipe for the drain to the sewage pipe. All that remains is to connect the dishwasher drain hose to the siphon pipe via a special adapter.
Included with this adapter, be sure to look for a valve, it blocks the backflow of water.
Fill the sink with water and check that there are no leaks.
1 The dishwasher must be connected to a 220V breaker.
Remember that all appliances and devices in your home and apartment, interconnected with water and electricity. boiler, flow-through water heater, washing machine, including the dishwasher, must necessarily be connected through:
No simple modular automatic machines, and the more “plugs” should not be here. Your safety and your safety in the event of a breakdown in the electrical supply must come first.
2 Installing the dishwasher very close to the wall.
You could squeeze the supply or drain hose, obstructing water circulation. On the scoreboard will be constantly displayed error.
And you won’t know why. That’s why the minimum distance from the wall should be at least 5cm.
3 The dishwasher must be placed on a flat surface.
If the installation is not straight, you will have dishwashing problems. Even water leaks can occur.
For example Electrolux models allow deviation from the horizontal no more than 2 degrees. Check the whole thing with a construction level.
And it can be adjusted by twisting and turning the feet.
The rear foot of most models is adjustable from the front. By means of a special screw in the lower central part.
When adjusting the feet, the machine has to be raised to the maximum so that there are no gaps between the top of the machine and the countertop.
Although it may appear to be the closest and most convenient place to connect the power plug, try to avoid such a connection.
The slightest clog and the subsequent leakage will guarantee you a short circuit and fire. For the same reason, it is not recommended to place the extension cord directly behind the dishwasher.
If the factory cord to a fixed outlet was not enough, connect the portable unit away from the hoses, as far away as possible.
Remember that not every washing machine can be connected to the hot water supply system. Be sure to study the manual, otherwise the device will fail much earlier than its warranty period.
In addition, the water temperature in this system may be higher than that for which the sink is designed (usually not more than 60 degrees). Even if it supports this connection.
It is quite possible that the factory hose, having a standard length of not more than 1.5 meters, will not be enough for you. So you will have to buy more meters.
Most importantly do not bite off, unscrew or throw away the main. It can come with a leakage protection.
There are wires hidden inside it and when there is a breakage, a short circuit occurs and the valve installed at the end automatically shuts off the supply.
So when extending just extend the existing one.
If you are not a plumber, and you do not know how to properly and how much tape to seal the threaded joints, then you are better off not using it.
You might run into this when you’re reworking the dishwasher connection to the siphon and installing a tee on the cold water supply.
If too much, the flax will eventually swell and the flimsy sleeve nut may burst, eventually causing a flood.
Easy Fix For Dishwasher That Wont Drain | THE HANDYMAN
In such places, it is better to use the factory rubber gasket, or fum tape.
The ideal would be to specially prepare an outlet for the dishwasher, but if you have not taken care of this beforehand, you need to follow certain rules when connecting to electricity:
- Do not use tees or extension cords because the power consumption is so great that it can not only cause damage to the equipment, but also provoke a fire;
- It is forbidden to plug into an outlet for an electric stove;
- When installing a separate socket, you need to use a wire with a diameter of at least 2 mm, and install a circuit breaker rated at 16A. It will automatically cut off the power supply when the maximum load is reached.
And, most importantly, when you connect the dishwasher yourself, do not neglect the provision of grounding.
The cable that leads to the socket must be three-core. Never ground on heating, gas or water pipes, it is extremely dangerous.
Connection to the power grid
To connect the dishwasher to a 220V network, you will need a few materials:
How to repair a dishwasher, not draining cleaning. troubleshoot Whirlpool Kitchenaid
- A three-core copper cable VVGNG-Ls 32.5 mm2
- A 16A Schuko outlet with a grounding contact
- RCD or a 16A residual current device with a leakage current of 30mA
The dishwasher is not a very powerful appliance such as a cooktop (7kW or more). Its capacity is usually not more than 2.0-2.5 kilowatts.
Modern models on the power consumption of class “A” or “A”. That is, over a year, your meter will accumulate about 220 kW.
Despite this, it is still advisable for the connection of the washing machine, at the stage of repair, to lay a separate cable line in a separate hole.
If you have a repair has long been over, and after buying equipment do not want to re-string the walls and damage the wallpaper, you can do with the existing socket. Just be sure that it is protected by RCD.Connect the dishwasher through a simple modular circuit breaker, extremely dangerous.
The socket should be placed at a comfortable height. up to 90cm from the floor.
In this case, place it on the right or left side of the washer, but not behind it.
Take into account the fact that the total length of the cord with a plug of this equipment rarely exceeds 1,0-1,5 m. On this basis, and choose a place for the socket, so as not to have to later use the extension cord.
The socket itself must of course be grounded. But not everyone has this very grounding. Especially in older apartments.That’s why many people use an ordinary one, and everything seems to work fine. However, the level of protection will no longer be sufficient.
Roughly speaking, if there is an earthing contact and there is a leakage current, you can not even turn on the RCD. The consequences of these leaks, even small ones, can be quite fatal.
With a simple socket, it will only trip when you touch the enclosure, which is already energized.
And this same electric shock, at least in the initial moment, you will still feel.
What materials and tools are needed?
Tools are needed to perform the work:
- Splitting wrench. to mount the pipe fittings.
- Drill. drill holes to fix the pipe.
- Screwdriver. to tighten the screws fixing the pipes.
- Level. to check the slope of the communications.
The set of materials depends on the chosen method of connection:
- If you connect the dishwasher directly you need a 40/50 mm adapter. The diameter depends on the size of the pipe. You will also need clamps (2 pcs.) and non-return valve.
- For the second option. when connecting through the nipple, no accessories are needed. If you already have a siphon with a side connector.
- For the third circuit we need a T-piece (diameter 40/50 cm), 4 pcs.), adapters with the required diameter (4 pieces) and threaded adapters (4 pieces).), non-return valve.
If you decide to connect the dishwasher to the drain yourself, you may also need the following consumables (taking into account the method of connection to the drain)
- Odour trap. It is made of plastic. Can have one or two three-quarter inch side fittings. The second connector can be used to connect the washing machine. As long as nothing is connected, you can use a dummy plug on the second connector.
- A 3/4″ metal tee. It is necessary for tapping into the sewer pipe.
- A check valve. a thing not necessary, but very useful. To prevent the siphon from overflowing in the case of a clogged drain. If it’s not there, if it gets clogged, the runoff will pour into the dishwasher.
- Sewer pipe. Its diameter must be similar to the diameter of the installed pipe or slightly smaller. but such that it provides the required capacity to drain dirty drains.
- Clamps. Dowels or self-tapping screws.
Drain from the dishwasher to the sewer
The dishwasher can not operate autonomously. It needs a connection to the cold or hot water supply, as well as a connection to the sewer. Connections must be arranged reliably, so that the hoses do not accidentally blew out and a flood happened. Today we will talk about the organization of the drain of the dishwasher into the drain. Let’s discuss the ways in which you can connect to the sewer system, what you need for this purpose and give instructions on how to perform the work.