These types of shuttles are considered common:
Each of them differs in design.
The element shown is found in economy machines. For example, the model “Seagull” uses a shuttle, which works on the principle of a pendulum. This part is also called oscillating. At the moment of return of the head thread is seized. The advantage is that the machine is simple in design and the element can be easily replaced.
Interesting! In operation, the pendulum requires very few frequent inspections. But in older models it needed adjustment more often.
The cap and rod are fixed, they do not dangle when working. Defects are seldom seen during sewing. When you look at the design, you can see gaps in the formation of loops. Swing elements have their own disadvantages:
Vertical double whip shuttle
The vertical element is different from the pendulum. Some experts call it rotary, there are features on the design. The head is fixed, in a ring. Provides a semi-circular clamp that can change its position.
Important! Rotary knot is often found in professional models of the highest category. Technicians choose it because of the high sewing speed.
The double whip stitching rotary element is wear-free and has a long service life. In fact, it provides excellent stitching, you can be proud of the work. Other advantages are as follows
The only disadvantage is the high cost.
The hook of this type is located in the horizontal position and visually looks like a plate. There are variants with open and translucent cover. No cap is another feature. Thus, the thread is always visible and a basic advantage. While sewing, the sewing machine operator looks at the material and can quickly recognize the color.
Winding is made on the bobbin. There are elements of plastic or light metal. Some of the machine parts are combined, but this is not welcomed in the professional world. For horizontal shuttles the type of thread is important, it is recommended to follow the advice from the manufacturers.
Interesting! Horizontal bobbin can be replaced (repair will not require a large investment). But the wear and tear of the head in some places requires the intervention of the master.
If you go to the service center will have to pay a large sum of money. When machines with horizontal elements are considered, most often replaceable bobbins are purchased in advance.
- Little vibration;
- absence of noise;
- straight stitching;
- no distortion;
- It is possible to replace the bobbin;
- fast threading;
- Suitable for clothes loops;
- The possibility of controlling the electronic unit;
Minus considered a long adjustment mechanism. The plate needs to be adjusted before sewing and a screw is installed for this purpose. Another problem lies in the inconvenience, since the bobbin is in a hard-to-reach place.
How to disassemble a Janome sewing machine
I do not recommend disassembling modern sewing machines. There is nothing complicated about it, but only for someone who knows how to do it correctly. In any other case, all the time there is a desire to use a nailer. Well, like all the screws unscrewed, and the body does not detach. Be careful, you can easily break not only the attachment housing, but also the desired part of the sewing machine.
Each machine has its own way of fixing the halves of the body. First you need to carefully examine them, discover. For example, several pieces can be under the front cover, in the area of the upper thread tensioner, hook mechanism (remove the needle plate). Further, some of them “hide” under the plugs, which can easily be removed with a knife blade. What else you can advise. Well, for example, for this model Janome do not need to remove the levers to switch the types of stitches. By the way, don’t forget the reverse lever when you put the body back together. In general, for a non-specialist will be much harder not to disassemble it, and collect it, take it into account. Mark where and which screw was. And if you do not have any “extra” screws, then the test of attentiveness you passed with 5 points.
Instructions for winding the thread on the bobbin
Setting up the machines at home does not require much effort. Any sewing machine owner can manage winding the thread on the bobbin.
HOW TO Fix Rotary Hook Jams: Hook Disassembly & Cleaning Tutorial
- Place the spool on the vertical pin.
- Pass the thread through the thread guide.
- Pass the thread clockwise between the tension dials.
- Insert the tip into the hole on the bobbin. Place it on the spindle of the winding unit.
- Press the bobbin and move it to the right.
- Press the foot pedal while holding the thread.
- Make a few turns and cut off the end of the thread.
- Continue winding on speed.
- Move the bobbin to the left.
Important! When full, the bobbin stops spinning.
How to insert the bobbin into a sewing machine: Singer, Brother, Janome
Before inserting the part directly, check that the width of the bobbin matches the width of the cap. The bobbin should fit “comfortably” inside the cap. It should not be obstructed in its rotation. Its width must not exceed the edge. If there are chips, cracks and nicks on the surface of the part, it will sooner or later lead to snags and thread breakage during the stitching. Even if the thread does not break, it can be extremely detrimental to the quality of the work.
In addition to insertion, there are a number of additional steps to be taken to wind the thread. If the process is unfamiliar, you should use the step-by-step instructions:
- Install the bobbin on a special pin, which is located on the top of the sewing machine body.
- Unwind some thread and wind it onto the bobbin by hand. If the part is made of plastic, it usually has a hole for inserting the thread and then winding it.
- Place the small bobbin on the reel and secure it well.
- Press the pedal of the manual or automatic machine to start the winding process.
Important! Wait for the automatic winding process to complete. If necessary, you can stop the machine after filling the bobbin with thread, when the winded amount is enough.
Next, the installation itself is made, but before it is also important to check what type of shuttle mechanism used in the sewing machine. With a horizontal hook procedure is as follows:
- Remove the cover. It depends on the model. It disconnects in different ways in different machines. Please refer to the operating instructions for.
- Take the threaded part and unwind about 10-20 centimeters of thread. This action is necessary to pull it out through the needle, single thread, double thread, or upper thread.
- Insert the threaded bobbin into the cap.
- Return the cover in place.
- Pull the lower thread out.
If the hook of the machine is vertical, then the step-by-step process of threading is as follows:
- Remove the cover. For this, as in the previous case, it is best to read the instruction manual for the device.
- Unwind 15-20 centimeters of thread from the spool and install the part in the holder (cap).
- Pull the end of the thread through the tension regulator. It is important that the direction of thread corresponds to the spring position.
- Insert the cap into the hook by holding the highlighted tab or latch.
- Fit the cap and press the latch until you hear a click, indicating that the part is in place.
- Check for correct action. The tail of the cap should be in the special slot of the hook.
- Close the lid in the usual way.
- Pull the bottom thread out.
Maintenance and installation of shuttles
The rotary hook is known to be an extremely complex kinematic device. A high level of precision in every stage of production and perfect maintenance will ensure top performance, maximum reliability and a long lifespan for the hook.
In shuttle stitch sewing machines, the rotary hook is one of the most important components. That’s why a high quality hook has a direct impact on stitch quality and a long lifespan of the hook. Using the second category shuttles compromises the reliability of the entire machine and leads to a loss in productivity and stitch quality. These losses can far exceed the savings realized by purchasing cheaper shuttles.
Cerliani hooks are renowned for their high quality! Guarantee this:
The surfaces of newer shuttles are usually treated with an anti-corrosion oil, which dries out over time. Therefore, before using the shuttles, wash them thoroughly with gasoline or mineral oil and then lubricate them extensively. This procedure should be done every time you plan to reuse a shuttle that has not been used for a long time.
Regular maintenance and adjustment checks are recommended to ensure the longevity of the hook. This will prevent irreparable damage due to insufficient lubrication or incorrect installation. Preventive maintenance must be carried out thoroughly and systematically. Follow the recommendations in the table below.
Manhole maintenance at regular intervals
Remove sewing dust, because if it is not removed regularly, it can act as an abrasive on the hook. Check oil level.
Use a brush or a compressor with compressed air.
Check the oil flow in the hook and adjust if necessary.
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions to adjust the oil flow.
Rinse shuttle with gasoline or kerosene without removing it from the machine. Rinse with gasoline or kerosene without removing it from the machine in order to avoid jamming. After flushing, lubricate the rotary hook thoroughly while the machine is running.
Never use a spray gun to apply solvent to the shuttle,
Only use a brush. This prevents solvent from getting into the bearings of the machine.
Remove the hook from the sewing machine, remove the bobbin case and carefully clean and wash all parts, check that the oil passages are not blocked. Make sure that there are no needle marks, scratches, or nicks on the hook and other parts that come into contact with the thread. Minor damage and scratches can easily be removed with a fine. Use grit sandpaper; use a soft cotton cloth polishing block to polish the surface. Carefully assemble the shuttle, liberally lubricate and install it on the sewing machine and check the synchronization of its work, the quality of the stitch and test the oil flow.
For proper adjustment and lubrication, see notes at the end of the table.
Oil level test (horizontal shuttles): remove the needle plate and presser foot, replace with a sheet of paper, and run the machine at maximum speed for about 10 seconds. The lubrication level is considered sufficient when two parallel lines of oil dots form on the paper. To increase or decrease the oil flow, you need to adjust the appropriate regulator, which should be on the sewing machine. Keep in mind that if too much oil enters the hook, the excess oil will be ejected by the centrifugal force onto the needle plate as the hook rotates. In doing so, there is a risk of contaminating the material to be sewn. If too little oil is supplied to the hook, it will cause premature wear on the moving parts and shorten the service life of the entire hook.
In order to achieve the best possible performance of the CERLIANI hook, follow the instructions below when installing the hook: Position the hook on the appropriate axis. Turn the sewing machine handwheel in the sewing direction until the needle reaches the bottom dead center. When the needle bar has adjustment marks (2 lines), make sure that the upper line is aligned with the level of the N plane (Fig. 1А). If they are not in alignment, adjust the needle bar until it is in alignment. In this case, turn the handwheel until the lower line of the adjusting mark is at the level of the plane N (fig. 2А).
In the case that the needle bar has no adjustment markings, use the special Calibre for the machine type in question. Place and fasten this Calibre on the N plane, securing it to the needle bar with the appropriate clamp (fig. 1В). Then remove the Caliper and rotate the handwheel until the clamp reaches the N plane (Fig. 2В). Once in this position, rotate the hook on the axle until its end is exactly aligned with the center point of the needle. Slightly tighten the screws securing the hook. In this position, raise or lower the needle bar (in the case of B, remove the clamp used) until the distance of 0.5-1.5 mm between the hook nose and the highest point of the needle eye is reached Fix the needle bar in this position. The hook should now be positioned transversely.
The nose of the hook, when it passes near the needle, should be positioned so that the distance between them remains about 0.05-0.10 mm
If there is a hook hook plate attached to the hook, it should be adjusted to hold the needle when it moves to the side of the hook spout to avoid damaging it. Finally, tighten the screws on the shaft of the hook. Your CERLIANI hook is ready to work and will satisfy your sewing needs, ensuring constant precision and a long life.
Sewing machine hook: what it is, how it works and which type is better
The durability and ease of use of the sewing machine depends largely on the quality of the installed hook. The nature and performance of the function of its type. The heart of the machine determines the formation and quality of the stitch.
It happens that this essential piece of equipment malfunctions and needs to be replaced. Can’t figure out which sewing machine hook you need? We will help in solving this question.
This article describes the principle of the shuttle mechanism, outlines the strengths and weaknesses of the different vertical and horizontal shuttles, and gives tips on their maintenance.
Tips for choosing the right appliance
The difference in price depends on which shuttle is installed on the sewing machine. In a simplified form the algorithm is as follows:
- Economy category home models Bernina machines are equipped with a vertical pendulum type;
- Household models of medium-price category machines have a wider functionality in comparison with the budget ones, and are equipped with a horizontal type;
- Industrial and expensive models for professional and active work are equipped with a rotary version.
Choosing a particular type of sewing equipment Brother, the version of the shuttle remains the same parameter. In any case, you should pay close attention to this mechanism when choosing equipment. The described algorithm is not rigid, and some manufacturers easily bypass it.
Among all kinds of shuttles Bernina and other brands can choose and buy the best option given the specialization of the sewing machine:
- For beginners in sewing, it is better to choose simple machines with a pendulum shuttle device. They combine modesty of options and reliability with the endurance of the mechanism, designed for infrequent use;
- for small volumes and different density of fabrics in the absence of requirements for sewing speed, it is better to choose models equipped with a horizontal type. They have good functionality and a fairly reasonable price;
- Personnel in garment repair shops prefer a wide range of stitches, a high level of quality and comfort. in such cases, it is better to choose a machine equipped with a vertical hook.
Which type is better to choose
Buying a sewing machine, it is worth understanding that its cost depends on the installed shuttle:
- Technique economy class. vertical;
- middle class, machines with functions. horizontal;
- industrial or professional models used for intensive work. oscillating.
If you read the reviews, users praise the type of shuttle mechanism with which they are used to work. To purchase a suitable machine, take into account their own specialization:
- Pendulum, the rotary type is suitable for those who have little experience in sewing. These models of machines do not have a set of features, but their shuttle is simple in design, reliable and durable. Technique with such a system is taken for rare use;
- the horizontal should be chosen by those who wish to create a small number of things from different fabrics, not picky about the speed of sewing. Sewing machines with this mechanism have good functionality, and ;
- Vertical rotating mechanism. the choice of professionals and employees of the studio, which is important set of stitches, quality and comfort.
How to insert the bobbin into a sewing machine: “Singer”, Brother, Janome
Before installing the part directly, check that the width of the bobbin corresponds to the width of the cap. The bobbin must fit “comfortably” inside the cap. It should not be obstructed in its rotation. In doing so, its width should not exceed the edge. If the surface of the part will appear chips, cracks and nicks, then this will sooner or later lead to hooks and thread breakage during the stitching. Even if the thread does not break, it can extremely adversely affect the quality of work.
Threading the lower thread
In addition to the insertion, a number of additional operations should be done to wind the thread. If unfamiliar with the process, you should use the step-by-step instructions:
- Install the spool on a special pin, which is located on the top of the sewing machine body.
- Unwind some thread and wind it onto the bobbin by hand. If the part is made of plastic, it usually has a special hole for thread insertion and subsequent winding.
- Place the small spool on the spool reel and secure it well.
- Press the pedal on the manual or automatic sewing machine to begin the winding process.
Threading the upper threadThis is important! Wait for the automatic winding process to complete. If necessary, you can stop the machine after filling the bobbin with thread, when enough thread has been wound.
You’ll be interested in All about sewing pillowcases with scents
Then the installation itself is made, but before it is also important to check what type of hook mechanism used in the sewing machine. With a horizontal shuttle is the following procedure:
- Remove the cover. It all depends on the model. It disconnects in different ways in different machines. You should read the instruction manual.
- Take the threaded part and unwind about 10-20 centimeters of thread. This action is necessary to bring it out through the needle, single thread, double thread, or upper thread.
- Insert the threaded bobbin into the cap.
- Return the cap in its place.
- Take the lower thread out.
Adjusting the thread tension If the hook of the machine is pointing vertically, the step-by-step threading process is as follows:
- Remove the cover. To do this, as in the previous case, it is best to read the instructions for use of the device.
- Unwind 15-20 centimeters of thread from the bobbin and install the part in the holder (cap).
- Pull the end of the thread through the tension regulator. It is important that the direction of the thread corresponds to the position of the spring.
- Insert the cap into the shuttle by holding it by the highlighted tab or latch.
- Replace the cap and press the latch until you hear a click, indicating that the part is in place.
- Check the correctness of action. The tail of the cap should be in the special slot of the hook.
- Close the lid in the usual way.
- Pull the lower thread out.
Threading the sewing machine