How to solder a gas water heater
Start brazing your gas stove with preparatory work. Buy only solder brand PIC-61, as with other solders is more difficult to perform soldering of copper tubes. They are less fluid, more refractory, and their structure is worse. Soldering wire is a good choice, sometimes with rosin filler.
Also you will need flux, but choose the one that is labeled “does not require washing”, “Free of acid” or “Corrosion-passive. This will save you the trouble of repairing gas heaters. Prepare a 100W soldering iron, clean the sting from old burned flux.
Sand the soldering point of the gas boiler with a fine emery cloth. Usually in a place of a fistula copper is oxidized, there is a characteristic spot of a green toxic color. After sanding it down with an emery cloth, carefully wipe the surface with a cloth and solvent that removes grease stains and dust.
Wrap rags around the pipe from both sides so that it cools down less and you can hold it with your hand without burning.
Tape the solder joint well. Lubricate it with flux. Dip the soldering iron into the solder when hot enough and bring it to the soldering point. The solder will flow off the soldering iron, forming a tight connection to the copper pipe.
If the solder is not flowing, but hardening, take the following steps. Use a burner to heat the soldered copper tubes. Wrap this place with a thick rag, heat soldering iron up to 180 degrees and try to heat the solder again. Repeat the procedure a few times. Sooner or later the pipe will heat up and the solder will melt.
- How to solder copper radiator
- How to repair gas heaters
- How to replace the gas water heater yourself
- How to solder the heater
- How to solder copper
- Why in the gas boiler there is no spark
- How to solder an aluminum radiator
- Breakage of a gas water heater: to replace or repair?
- How to solder aluminum
- How to solder stainless steel
- How to solder copper
- How to repair speakers
- How to replace the gas boiler
- How to solder brass
- How to wash the heat exchanger in the boiler
- How to repair a gas boiler
- How to solder stainless steel
- How to lubricate gas valve
- How to solder
- How to Clean a Boiler Heat Exchanger
- How to make a heat exchanger
- How to clean the heat exchanger in a gas water heater
- How to bend copper pipes
- How to repair a wall mounted gas boiler
What is more profitable. repair or replacement??
If you take into account. and you have to pay about 3000 for installation. In this case, you will have to pay from 8000 or more for a new water heater, and then pay for its connection.
What’s better. repair or replacement?
If you take into account. and you have to pay about 3000 for installation. In this case, for a new burner will have to pay from 8000 or more, and then still pay for its connection.
The decor of the coffee table with their own hands: style and creativity
The tool should be chosen according to the intended use (commercial or private), application (soldering products, cutting, heating, heat treatment, working in the wind), the preferred firm (there are products of famous and not so famous manufacturers from many countries in the market) and financial capabilities. of course the higher price is, the better quality is usually, but even a not so expensive tool is enough for private use.
The characteristics of the burner, which you should pay attention to when choosing:
- The type of burner. with the injector or without it;
- tool power. the more power, the better;
- On what fuel will the burner work. propane, acetylene, etc.д.; some burners can work with several types of gas mixtures, but they are less reliable;
- purpose. for soldering, cutting, etc.п.;
- materials that this burner can work with.
The heat exchanger of the gas water heater. soldering repair at home with your own Hands
The functioning of the gas heater is provided not only by the burner, but also due to the presence of the heat exchanger. It is designed to transfer the heat from the gas burning in the body of the water heater to the heat transfer medium flowing through the copper tubes. If this component fails, there will be a failure in the work of the entire column.
Before you take on the soldering of the heat exchanger of the heater, it is worth to figure out whether it is beneficial. If you calculate, the cost of a new heat exchanger, along with delivery and replacement work will still be lower than the full replacement of the gas heater. In addition, the soldering of the heat exchanger can be done with your own hands.
How the heat exchanger is set up
The heat exchanger, or radiator, is designed to heat water from the burner. Flows through the tubes of the coil, instantly heated by the burning fuel. Most often the block is either steel or copper. How much does the device weigh? Copper device. from 3 to 3.5 kg. The steel unit is much heavier, for this reason it has a lower efficiency.
Features of the steel product:
- Lower cost compared to copper.
- Thanks to the plasticity of the material, heating does not harm the surface.
- Resistant to corrosion.
- Has a high efficiency, fast heating.
- Products that contain additional impurities are cheaper.
- Resistant to corrosion.
- Low weight if pure copper.
Trying to reduce the production cost, manufacturers add impurities in copper. This causes the radiator to heat up unevenly, which leads to burnout of individual parts. Some people cover the surface with heat-resistant paint, but it does little good. Service life does not exceed 2-3 years.
How to Solder Copper Pipe The CORRECT Way | GOT2LEARN
Copper is more resistant to corrosion than steel. Most manufacturers do not indicate how much copper goes into the production of the product, assuring that the heat exchanger is made of a thick layer.
To prolong the operation of the device, install water filters. They soften and clean the liquid from impurities that settle on the parts in the form of scale.
How much does it cost to replace a gas boiler radiator? If you take into account the purchase of a new device, delivery and installation, it will be cheaper to repair the heat exchanger.
Possible malfunctions and how to repair with your own hands
Any malfunction of the gas boiler should be dealt with by a specialist. However, it is not always possible to use the services of a master, and the breakdowns are trivial. Consider the problems that can be solved independently.
Smells like gas in the house
The smell usually appears when gas leaks from the threaded joints of the supply hose. If in the room where the boiler is installed, there is an odor, you must open a window and turn off the boiler. Proceed further according to the instruction:
- Prepare all the necessary things: soapy solution, FUM-tape, wrench or crescent wrench.
- Apply solution to all threaded connections. If bubbles start to form, the leak is found.
- Close the gas valve.
- Use a wrench to open the connection. Wrap FUM-tape on the male threads and assemble everything back.
- Reapply the solution and restart the gas supply.
- If the leak is repaired and the smell of gas is gone, remove the remaining solution.
Attention! When the place of the leak cannot be found, shut off the gas and call a specialist
The fan doesn’t work
If during the operation of the boiler the sound of the turbine disappears or diminishes, it indicates a defect in the purge gas fan. Repair will require: screwdriver, new bearing, rag, thick grease.
- Turn off the boiler and shut off the gas.
- Remove the turbine.
- Clean dust and soot from the turbine blades with a rag.
- Inspect the electric coil of the fan for blackening. If everything is fine move on or replace the fan.
- Disassemble the fan housing. There is a bearing inside on the turbine shaft and it must be replaced. Some fans have a sleeve instead of a bearing. In this case you need to grease it.
The turbine may also not work due to low voltage in the network or malfunction of the control board. The first can be eliminated with the stabilizer, but the second only by calling a specialist.
The chimney of the floor standing boiler is clogged
Problems with the chimney arise only in floor type boilers. This is due to its size and vertical position. Floor standing boilers do not need to clean the chimney.
Chimney consisting of metal parts are cleaned with a metal brush. It needs to be disassembled and the accumulated soot removed mechanically. The whole chimney is cleaned with special vacuum cleaners or chemicals. But for this you need to call a professional.
Three ways to arrange the chimney for the floor gas boiler. The first option is the most difficult to clean.
Boiler overheating due to contamination of the heat exchanger. To clean the unit will need: a special solution of hydrochloric acid, adjustable wrench, FUM tape, metal brush. Then proceed according to the instructions:
- Turn off the boiler, shut off the gas and water.
- Remove the heat exchanger, using an adjustable wrench.
- Clean it with a brush.
- Pour the acid solution through the pipe into the heat exchanger. If there is foam, it means that there is a lot of scale inside.
- Pour the solution and repeat the procedure.
- Clean the machine.
- Reinstall the sensor with FUM-tape around all threaded joints.
Problems usually occur with the combustion electrode. If the burner flame goes out after a few seconds, and the boiler generates an error, the problem is in the combustion sensor. Switch off the boiler, shut off the gas.
Repairing the electrode requires sandpaper, which is used to grind the probe probes without removing the probe. If the breakage remains. the sensor is replaced.
There are two problems that lead to spontaneous shutdown of the boiler. The combustion sensor is broken or the chimney is clogged. Repair of both faults is described above in the article.
Repair and soldering of the heat exchanger of the gas boiler
As a result of corrosion or damage (usually to the copper pipe encasing the combustion chamber), microscopic holes (fistulas) are formed.
In the case of leaks or fistulas, brazing of the copper heat exchangers is applied. If the damage is minor. soldering with a soldering iron is used (for thin-walled parts).
- This requires a soldering iron for 100 watts with a construction hair dryer, special flux containing copper or silver, and tin solder (refractory). Mark the expected location of the fistula with a marker, scrub with a hard plastic sponge and wipe dry with a tissue. A small black spot with a drop of water will be the source of the leak.
- Bleed the coil and use a construction dryer to blow out the holes so that the water evaporates completely. Then wipe it with hydrochloric acid solution and put flux on the soldering point 2 cm in diameter around the hole.
- Warm up with the soldering iron and construction dryer to 300-350 degrees. Solder in contact with the tube should melt, and the tin spread evenly over the entire diameter, applied flux. Be sure to remove any active flux residue from the solder and tube, which can cause rapid corrosion.
- After the heat exchanger cools down, connect it to the water line and fill it with water, gradually opening the valve. When the air and dirt are out of the faucet, open it to full pressure.
Soldering a gas water heater radiator
If the copper radiator of the gas boiler is massive and has a high thermal conductivity it is better to solder with a gas torch. The contact temperature of the flame should not exceed 250 degrees.
To solder a gas water heater radiator you need a solder PIC 61, which is excellent for soldering copper tubes. Or wire solder with rosin filler. Grind away the solder point with a fine emery cloth. It has characteristic dark green stains. Use a rag and solvent to remove grease stains.
Wrap a rag around the pipe to keep it from cooling down and burning your hands. Warm the pipe well and evenly with a gas torch, apply flux or rosin for even filling of the solder joint.
After soldering you can make an air test by placing the radiator in a container with water. If there are no bubbles under air pressure, soldering is good.
Heat Exchangers for Gas Columns Maintenance and Troubleshooting
In order to solder a gas boiler will need:- solder PIC-61;- flux;- soldering iron with a power of not less than 100W;- fine sandpaper;- solvent;- rags.
Start the soldering of the gas-filled column with the preparatory work. Buy solder only brand PIC-61, as with other solders is more difficult to perform soldering copper tubes. They are less fluid, more refractory, and their structure is worse. Great suit a wire solder, sometimes it comes with a rosin filling.
You will also need flux, but choose one that is labeled “Flux Free”, “Acid Free” or “Corrosion Free”. This will save you the trouble of repairing gas boilers. Prepare the 100W soldering iron, clean the sting from old burnt flux.
First drain the water in the heat exchanger. Open the hot water faucet in the sink while unscrewing the union nut from the cold water supply pipe. Because of the difference in water level between the gas water heater and the kitchen faucet, water from the heater will run down. Blow out the rest of the water with a compressor or vacuum cleaner, as it will complicate the heating in the place of soldering copper tubes, even with a powerful soldering iron.
Sand the soldering point of the gas boiler with a fine emery cloth. Usually at the site of the fistula copper is oxidized, there is a characteristic stain of a toxic green color. After sanding with an emery cloth, carefully wipe the surface with a cloth and solvent that removes grease stains and dust.Wrap rags around both sides of the pipe so it will cool down less and you can hold it by hand without getting burnt.
Tape the soldering point well. Lubricate it with flux. Dip the soldering iron into the solder, when hot enough, and bring it to the soldering point. The solder will flow off the soldering iron and form a solid connection to the copper pipe.If the solder does not flow, but hardens, take the following steps. Use a torch to heat the soldering point of the copper tubes. Wrap a thick rag around the place, heat the soldering iron to 180 degrees and try again to heat the solder. Repeat the procedure several times. Sooner or later the pipe will heat up, and the solder will definitely leak.
Solder the wire or patch in the same way. Apply the patch, heat the pipe with the soldering iron, add solder if necessary. Once the solder has evenly filled the seam, remove the soldering iron. Gas water heater repair is finished. After everything has cooled down, you can serve water.