Cabinet under the built-in fridge dimensions: How to make a cabinet for a built-in refrigerator and a regular one
The kitchen unit with appliances built under the countertop looks like one unit. But the refrigerator is often knocked out of the overall design of the interior of the kitchen, if the options for possible design are not thought out in advance. It is possible to make a cabinet for a built-in fridge with a closed door. and it will look like one part of the kitchen. Perfectly built into the cabinet and conventional refrigerators, the main thing to consider a few nuances and avoid typical mistakes.
How to better “fit” the fridge into the kitchen interior
The hostess has the opportunity to buy all appliances with a design in the same style and shade in the case of a single, simultaneous purchase. Otherwise, to pick up on the design of a suitable non-built-in refrigerator can be problematic. And it looks like something foreign in the kitchen.
There is a way out is to decorate an ordinary fridge with the kitchen interior.
Or superstructure it with cabinets and shelves in the same design as the kitchen furniture.
But if there is a possibility, it is better to make a closed cabinet for a built-in refrigerator. It is also possible to install a regular refrigerator, but it is important to follow all the manufacturer’s recommendations for installation.
How to make a cabinet for a built-in refrigerator
The design of the cabinet-bench for a built-in refrigerator is very simple and straightforward. This is the same cabinet, with the bottom and adjustable legs, as the rest of the floor modules of the bottom row of the kitchen. And the remaining dimensions of the peninsula are determined by the drawings in the instructions attached to the refrigerator. Often in modular kitchens of Ikea and Leroy type there are ready modules of peninsula for built-in refrigerator. They are designed to fit most models and are easily adapted to other. Before you buy, make sure your refrigerator model is one of them.
Cupboard dimensions for a built-in refrigerator
As a rule, all “built-in” kitchen appliances are designed for the depth of standard modules. 550-560mm. Built-in refrigerators are no exception. They are also designed for a cabinet depth of 560mm, and when planning can align the front of the cabinet with the rest of the kitchen set.
The width of a cabinet for a built-in refrigerator is about 600 mm. Here, the internal size is important (at least 560-570mm for most models), and the external dimension is determined by the thickness of the body material and standards for facades, if any.
For example, the range of standard fronts may have a door width of 596mm, and the production of non-standard size will cost 10-20% more. In this case, try to use the budget option to equip the kitchen.
Recently, the so-called profile Gola in the design of kitchen furniture without handles are popular. The former are superimposed on the front, while the latter are built into the body of kitchen cabinets and wall cabinets. Gola-type handles are characterized by a vertical arrangement of the handles, which means that the width of the cabinet for the built-in fridge is increased by the width of the profile handle. With overhead profile handles in the horizontal version, it is important to correctly calculate the height of the fronts for proper opening.
The internal design of the cabinet for a built-in refrigerator must provide for self-cooling of the working unit through air circulation. The installation diagrams show the required clearances and recesses in the enclosure for this. They must always be observed when designing a cabinet.
As the bottom of the cabinet under the refrigerator can be used a special tray with ventilation holes. It costs a little more. Also in the sale of kitchen accessories there are special ventilation grilles for the design of the base of the refrigerator.
The two most common cabinet designs for the built-in refrigerator. How to build a refrigerator into the cabinet. largely determined by the layout of the built in from the manufacturer:
- Is it necessary to raise the base by 200mm and leave a gap for ventilation from above??
- Or is it enough just to provide the necessary size niche inside (1770x540x540)?
The height of the cabinet can be whatever you want. Most often it is made flush with the hinge of upper kitchen cabinets, within 2000-2400mm from floor level. As can be seen in the drawing, the back wall of the cabinet under the built-in refrigerator is not.
Dimensions of fronts for a cabinet with a built-in refrigerator
Depending on the model, built-in refrigerator may have one solid overhead door or two separate, located one above the other.
Sometimes two doors are also put one-piece facade, but it is inconvenient in further use.
When calculating the size of the fronts for the built-in refrigerator is also based on the data of the scheme of installation of a particular model. Usually try to align the height of the bottom facade with the rest of the facades of floor units. But if the kitchen countertop is elevated to 900-950mm, this is not always possible. It is easy to “fit” under the standard 850mm with the height of the lower modules without feet 720mm. This makes the kitchen design look whole and harmonious.
How to make a cabinet if the refrigerator is not built-in?
The main rule to be followed in any case of building a fridge in the cabinet is not to put it next to the oven, microwave or microwave oven, as well as any heating household appliance. The fact that modern models of refrigerators and freezers do not have evaporators in the back, as a rule, they are built into the “sides” And for the correct work of the refrigerator, its sides should be self-cooled through the free circulation of air. And not to be heated by the “neighbors” standing right next to it. This can negatively affect the service life.
Creating a cabinet under the refrigerator
The procedure occurs in several steps: measuring, cutting with framing, assembling and installing the equipment.
Tip! A balanced option is to take care of the box in the process of designing the kitchen set. This way you will not have to find materials that will fit perfectly into the overall stylistics.
The cabinet should be slightly larger than your refrigerator to allow air to circulate freely through it. Keep in mind that the box should not be placed near a cooktop or oven, so how the load on the material will be very rigid.
Tips for installing a freezer with your own hands
Freezers should be installed only when you do not have enough space in the freezer for food storage, at minus temperatures in the refrigerator. At the moment there is a wide range of household freezers on the market, they come in two types, ordinary, free-standing and built under the countertop. In this article we will help you to understand how to install and connect the freezer with your own hands, without calling a specialist.
- First of all it is necessary to get acquainted carefully with the requirements on installation of the freezing chamber and its connection to the electric mains of the apartment. In order for everything to be successful, it is necessary to adhere to some simple tips.
- Regardless of where you will install the device, whether it is a wall or a kitchen table, it is necessary to observe one important requirement, namely the presence of an air gap necessary for the device. It should be about 5 centimeters minimum and be provided on all sides of the household appliance. The bottom clearance should be about 8 centimeters, so that the freezer can cool normally.
- It is strictly forbidden to install the built in freezer under the gas or electric stove. If you still want to place the freezer in this location, you must install it on the opposite side from the stove.
- Unlike a refrigerator, the freezer can be installed in a cold room. However before to make installation of the freezing chamber in unheated rooms, such as attic or balcony, it is necessary to get acquainted with the technical documentation where permissible operation temperature of the device, the so-called climatic class, is registered.
- Before you install a freezer, you need to make sure the wiring can handle the load of the freezer with the unit on. Most often in older homes and apartments, the wiring is quite old, and rarely does anyone think to change it. Strong wiring with an earthing circuit must be used to prevent the unit from failing. In some cases, it may be necessary to replace the wiring.
- If your appliance doesn’t have an automatic door-closing feature, you can resort to a little trick. Unscrew the two back legs, thanks to the slight tilt of the body, the door will not open by itself if you do not close it all the way.
- In case the device cord does not reach the socket, it is forbidden to use such a device as a surge protector, commonly known as a plug. It is necessary to move the socket with your own hands, in order to connect the freezing chamber to the network directly.
In this article we told you how to install and connect the freezer with your own hands, clarified some of the points that can simplify your life in the use of the freezer.
See also. The best freezers for the home according to customer reviews
It is easy to assemble a standard refrigerator into a kitchen unit!
In small kitchens, you have to put up with the fact that a significant area is taken up by the refrigerator. Of course, the problem of freeing up kitchen space can be solved by buying a built-in refrigerator, but you can’t throw out a good working veteran into the trash.
Especially if the costs for this are not provided for in the family budget. And then the question arises: “Is it possible to build a regular refrigerator in a new kitchen set”. As the experience of numerous craftsmen shows. it is quite realistic to do it yourself.
Ways to build a regular refrigerator into the kitchen design
In order to build a refrigerator in the kitchen you should choose one of the options:
- Order furniture according to an individual project, which provides space for the refrigerator;
- To place the unit in a specially made cabinet;
- You can put it in the opening between the elements of cabinet furniture:
- Leave it as it is, but make the visible surfaces in accordance with the kitchen design.
Of course, custom-made furniture will cost a pretty penny, but it will take into account all your wishes. To create an aperture in the furniture will have to remove some element, which is not good, as it will violate the integrity of the ensemble. The method of disguise is simple, but the refrigerator will still stand out. There remains the most common way. to build a cabinet, which must:
- By design, fit harmoniously into the kitchen set;
- Do not have a back wall, the rigidity of the construction is ensured by lintels;
- its doors should not obstruct the opening of the refrigerator;
- Provide reliable ventilation, if necessary forced.
Getting ready to go
If the built-in appliances already have all the necessary elements, then with a conventional refrigerator will have to think through and make every detail yourself. If you intend to hide a two-chamber refrigerator, you need to solve the issue with the door. Make one common or for each compartment separate.
In the second version, it will look like a rack with cabinets. In some cases, separate refrigerator and freezer are used, which are installed in different places. Since it is inconvenient to open two doors to access the refrigerator’s contents, they are usually joined together.
Building a Salami Chamber/Cheese Cave. Easy Step by Step
Before you make a cabinet under the refrigerator, you need to measure the parameters of the equipment and add centimeters on the free space. The cabinet can be made with or without the bottom. In the first case, the construction is stronger, but it is necessary to cut a large round hole and make a podium over it to ensure unimpeded flow of air into the cabinet.
If you decide to make the back wall for rigidity reasons, you must drill holes in it over the entire area for ventilation.
The choice of material depends on capabilities and skills. Usually choose Fiberboard or laminated chipboard, but plasterboard is also acceptable. The cost of the first is higher, but it looks good, the second is more modest in price and appearance, and the third is difficult to work with. So if the skills to work with wood are not enough yet.It is better to choose Laminated chipboard.
When designing the cabinet, you should take into account that the instructions forbid placing the refrigerator close to the walls. Therefore, the internal dimensions should be 2 cm. larger dimensions of the unit. Select the depth of the cabinet taking into account that the condenser must not touch the wall and the doors must not open freely.
Making a cabinet
Before starting work, you should stock up on the necessary tools and fittings:
- the necessary amount of selected material;
- metal corners; hinges and handles;
- nails and self-tapping screws;
- a set of screwdrivers;
- saw or jigsaw;
- tape measure;
- Cladding material (paint, varnish, stain, self-adhesive film, wallpaper).
After marking, it is better to cut with an electric jigsaw, as it provides an even and neat cuts, which are closed with a self-adhesive tape. Prepared parts are fastened together with corners and self-tapping screws. The screws should be tightened with force up to the stop so that they are not loosened by the refrigerator vibration during the operation of the compressor.
If in the design of the kitchen set used cornices or other similar details, it is desirable and the box to decorate them, buying in a specialized store. Gaps between the walls of the refrigerator and the box are closed with plastic decorative panels.
If there are shelves or cabinets located above the refrigerator cabinet, which prevent heat dissipation, then holes must be cut into them. If it is not possible to provide reliable natural ventilation (for example, when installing the refrigerator box under the countertop) is installed auxiliary fan. Otherwise, without it, the refrigerator will overheat and will fail quickly.
In the video. in detail about how to embed the refrigerator in the cabinet with their own forces:
Assembling the box
When performing this part of the work should not have serious problems.
- Connecting the struts to the vertical uprights.
- Adding the lid.
- Mounting the plinth.
- The cabinet is tried on the spot, with a built-in appliance at the same time.
Sometimes an additional groove or hole is needed to install additional parts.
If the box and the wall are fixed to each other with corners. the construction will be more secure. Two or three parts are put on top, one on the middle strut. Align the overall level, then the peninsula is connected to other pieces of furniture. The last thing to go to the fronts, because the hinges are twisted on the vertical racks at the beginning of the work. The cabinet under the refrigerator is ready.
Unobtrusive installation of indispensable household equipment. this is how you can characterize the purchase of the built-in model of the freezer. Long-term qualitative storage of your food stocks is guaranteed by the manufacturers. there are no random names here. At the end of the article you will find the rating of the best models.
Modern freezing preserves maximum nutrients and vitamins of food, so why is it surprising that more and more housewives are thinking about buying a freezer? the built-in models are an excellent choice for any interior design.
IN FOCUS. Walk in Cooler on a Budget
What are the advantages of a built-in freezer? The same as the built-in refrigerated cabinets described in our article.
An important point: in case of a sudden (emergency) power cutoff the low temperature inside the freezer is kept for up to three days, during this time any malfunction will surely be corrected.
Your stock will not suffer due to the high thermal insulation properties of the cabinet and the characteristics of such models. Regarding the placement of the freezer in the interior, it is possible to choose a model for almost any room. The size range of cabinets varies quite widely. For example, their width can vary from 56 to 60 cm, height from 70 to 89 cm and depth from 55 to 62 cm.
Dimensions of Built-in Freezers
The dimensions of built-in appliances offered in the market correspond to the standard dimensions of kitchen furniture. When making a custom-made kitchen it is necessary to take this into account, so that the built-in appliances can easily fit into the niche designed for it.
It is clear that the size of built-in refrigerators, taking into account the installation clearances, should be smaller than the size of the niche in the kitchen cabinet. Standard cabinets comfortably accommodate a 60 cm deep freezer. For non-standard kitchen furniture is available built-in freezer and a depth of 80 cm. The height of the freezer cabinets can be from 60 cm to 210 cm. The number of shelves depends on the height.
Freezer chests are made to a height of 85 cm, a depth of 60 cm, and at the expense of the width you can buy a freezer larger volume.
Before you build in a freezer, you need to know its technical specifications.
To summarize, it is possible to say that it is possible to build a refrigerator into a cabinet-furniture. However, on the basis of the list of pros and cons, we can conclude that this method is undesirable.
In addition, we should take into account that because of overheating, the service life of the refrigerator may be significantly reduced, and in itself such a design is not very stable. Therefore, if it is possible to order a built-in refrigerator, it is better to do so.
Making a cabinet with your own hands
If there is no possibility or desire to buy a ready-made cabinet, you can always make it with your own hands. It’s not hard at all.
The easiest option is to use an existing niche. For example, it can be a box of one of the work tables of the kitchen set, a pencil case, etc. д. In the bottom you need to drill holes for ventilation, then install the equipment and hang the door.
For a built-in fridge
If you do not have a ready-made niche, you can assemble the cabinet yourself. To do this you will need particleboard or fibreboard, a facade fixing system, various fixing elements (corners, self-tapping screws, etc.) and a wall panel. д.). You also need tools: screwdrivers and an electric jigsaw. However, you can do without the latter.
The step-by-step manufacturing process is as follows.
- Make a drawing, taking all measurements into account. You need to know the exact dimensions of your refrigerator and add the required clearances as mentioned above. It is also important to determine the correct dimensions of the fronts. You do not need to put a back wall. Do not forget to provide for ventilation holes in the bottom.
- If you have a jigsaw, saw the material yourself according to the drawing. If not, then the service of sawing provides most building stores.
- Then you need to assemble the body parts, fastening them to each other with screws or self-tapping screws. All edges should be sealed with some water-resistant film to prevent swelling in case of water.
- Then the cabinet is installed in its designated place. Be sure to use a level, because the body must stand perfectly straight. Otherwise, the age of built-in equipment will be short.
- The next step is to install the refrigerator inside the cabinet. The installation diagram of each particular model is always indicated in the enclosed instructions. In general, there is nothing complicated there. First connect your refrigerator to the mains and check it for proper operation. If everything is in order, then unplug it, place it in the cabinet and lead the wire to the socket.
- The final step is to install the front. It is attached to the refrigerator door using one of the systems discussed above.
Actually, this completes the cabinet making and installation of the refrigerator, you can plug in the equipment.
For an ordinary refrigerator
Since built-in appliances are quite expensive, many people prefer to buy conventional equipment and place it in the cabinet. Contrary to the opinion of many, this can also be done with the refrigerator. But the question is whether it is worth it.
The advantage of this approach has only one: it is possible to make a closet that best fits into the interior. But there are quite a lot of drawbacks:
In addition, the cabinet will take up quite a lot of space. An ordinary refrigerator is bulky, but add the necessary distance to the furniture walls and you get a very impressive size. However, this does not stop many people.
You can buy a prefabricated box to house your fridge. For example, if you take a laconic pencil case (for example, there are many of them in IKEA stores), then its outer part can be decorated in accordance with the stylistic features of the interior. Also for building in a closet is well suited closet. in this case, the problem of saving space may not arise so sharply.
If you want to make an enclosure “from scratch”, then let’s understand how it can be done. In principle, the process is carried out in the same way as in the case of the module described above. You need a base material (either chipboard or particle board) with a thickness of at least 16mm. For closing the cuts, buy a special edgebanding.
Also stock up on the necessary fittings: furniture hinges, door closers, handles for fronts. You will also need some fasteners such as self-tapping screws, angle bars and mini-fixes. And, of course, various tools: in particular, a screwdriver or an electric screwdriver, a ruler and a level.
- Make measurements of the refrigerator, and then make a drawing of the cabinet, taking into account all the necessary tolerances (they are the same as for built-in appliances). To the outer width of the cabinet, add 28 mm for placing the hinges. The height should be at least 5 cm more than the refrigerator. But it is better to make the cabinet even higher. then you can place a shelf over the technique with the help of brackets to store any things. We add 50 mm to the depth of the fridge. When planning the fronts, take into account the thickness of the edges. It is better not to do the back wall of the cabinet, it will provide good ventilation. But, so that the case does not fall apart, fasten the walls with a few spacers.
- The next step is the sawing. It is best to hire a fitter with the right equipment to do it. When taking the job, do not forget to check the drawing and verify all dimensions.
- Next, we assemble the frame on the type of constructor. Attach the top panel to the sides with the mini-fixes, the struts with the corners.
- Install the cabinet on the intended place. If there is other furniture close to it, it is desirable to attach it to it, this is done for greater reliability.
- Mount the hinges to hang the doors.
- Make an opening in one of the side panels, through which the wire will then come out.
- If there are plans to place a shelf or a small cabinet over the refrigerator, it is time to make them.
Now it’s just a matter of installing the refrigerator itself. Place it inside the case. Then you need to fix the facade on the door of the equipment. This is done using a special mechanism. a ball guide.