What is a kitchen hood and what is it for
Kitchen hood is a forced ventilation device that gets rid of odors from cooking, cleans the air from steam, smoke, soot, gas combustion products, etc.д. It prevents fumes from spreading around the apartment, soot does not settle on walls, furniture, textiles. As a result, repair and cleaning are required less often and the feeling of freshness and cleanliness lasts longer, not only in the kitchen but in the entire apartment or house.
You need a cooker hood in the kitchen with a gas and electric stove
In a kitchen with a gas stove, an exhaust hood is necessary because it is more efficient than natural ventilation in removing the products of gas combustion. But that doesn’t mean you don’t need one above an electric oven. There is evaporation whether you cook with gas or electricity. Difference in power requirements for gas ovens must be higher than for electric ovens.
Kitchen hoods differ in the way they work:
- With a drain. Dirty air flows through the hood into the chimney and then into the ventilation system. The construction itself is protected from contamination by grease, dust etc. grease filter. The advantage of such a hood in the kitchen. performance, suitable for owners of large rooms and those who cook often and a lot. Minus. extra noise;
- With circulation. Dirty air enters the filters, is cleaned, and then comes back out. Т.е. the principle of operation is very similar to that of air conditioning. The air passes through the grease filter first, and then the charcoal filter, where the purification is better. Plus, you can install it anywhere, t.к. these are all kinds of ductless hoods for kitchens. Minus. need to clean and change filters.
But most modern models combine the two principles, which is convenient. Experts recommend using the hood in summer in the exhaust mode, and in winter in the circulation mode.
How to choose a kitchen hood
The smell of food throughout the apartment, blackened ceiling and grease on the walls of the kitchen that’s what awaits your kitchen if there is no forced ventilation over the stove. The hood is designed to get rid of these problems, if not completely, then at least partially.
Choosing a cooker hood is not a trivial task. It would seem that there is nothing easier than to take a matching color, hang it on the wall above the stove, drag the pipe to the ventilation system, there this pipe is attached, plug it in and enjoy the clean air to the accompaniment of the running motor and whistling air in the filter.
First, it is necessary to choose the type of installation.
Secondly, the hood can be designed for either extraction or recirculation. On this factor depends the set of filters to be installed in the housing.
Thirdly, you must calculate the power of the hood or the amount of air that can be suctioned per hour.
Selection criteria for a kitchen hood
The future owner must make a choice in favor of flow-through, recirculation or combined hoods and determine the type of installation.
There are also several other important aspects of choosing a gas stove hood that you should consider.
- The width of the hood must be greater than or equal to the width of the stove. Only in this way will the equipment be able to fully capture the flow of contaminated air. So a 90 cm wide model would be an ideal size for an efficient extraction above a 60 cm wide gas hob.
- The more speeds the hood has, the more flexible the operation will be.
- The noise level generated by the equipment during operation must be acceptable to the family. Models that are quiet enough do not produce sounds louder than 45 dB. The average noise level of a normally working extraction hood is around 50 dB. To find out the noise level of each mode of operation, consult the hood manufacturer’s manual or data sheet.
- The type of hood control must be user-friendly. Mechanical with rotary switches and electronic with a one touch sensitive control panel or remote control. Hoods that can be controlled with conventional knobs are also in demand. But the gaps between the knobs and the hood are often contaminated and cause great inconvenience to the hostess.
- Extended options such as backlighting or special decontamination lamps are nice extras for a quality hood.
Equipment performance is the most important characteristic for the hood, which is worth talking about in more detail. This parameter shows how many cubic meters of air the device is able to effectively pass through itself in one hour.
The higher the extraction capacity of the hood, the better. However, as it increases, so does the noise level. Selecting a hood for its performance requires a particularly responsible approach. It is better to calculate in advance the volume of air that needs to be processed by the exhaust device.
Straight-through and circulating hoods
Flow-through hoods extract heated, contaminated air from the surface of the stove and exhaust it through a ventilation shaft outside the room. They are connected directly to the ductwork and are fitted with grease filters.
The principle of operation of circulating systems is based on a closed cycle. That means that the intake air passes through the integrated filters, is cleaned of grease droplets, unpleasant odor and comes back. They can be used in island style kitchens without connection to a ventilation system.
Features of filters
Three types of filters are used in hoods:
- charcoal filters. effectively eliminate unwanted odors in recirculation mode. The air inside the hood is cleaned through activated or chemically treated charcoal filter pellets, allowing the user to breathe clean and fresh air. The charcoal filter does not need to be replaced often. just change it once a year;
- grease (aluminum). can be made of organic fibers (disposable), aluminum or steel (reusable). Grease filters thoroughly clean the air from products of gas combustion and grease particles, however, disposable elements are not subject to cleaning and are designed for only 1-2 months of use. Reusable filters are durable and do not require replacement;
- Universal filters are an advanced type of filters that combines a carbon cartridge reliably protected by a fat-absorbing material. Filter is especially relevant for recirculation units. On average, the system lasts 6-12 months of use, after which it must be replaced.
Top 5: The best fireplace hoods
|1.||Shindo VELA sensor 60 B/BG||The best fireplace hood of 2022||100|
|2.||Weissgauff ASSY 60 TC||The best chimney hood with non-return valve||124|
|3.||DeLonghi KT-T63||Metal chimney hood with grease filter||95|
|4.||Weissgauff TAU 60 TC||The best fireplace hood with a slanted shape||118|
|5.||ELIKOR AC 6634 W1||The most stylish chimney hood||144|
Top 5: Best Hoods
|1.||Indesit ISLK 66 AS||The best overhead hood of 2022||69|
|2.||LEX Simple 2M 600||Hanging kitchen hood with 2 motors||105|
|3.||GEFEST BO-2501||Best Hood from Belarus||47|
|4.||ELIKOR Davoline 60||The most inexpensive hanging hood||35|
|5.||Krona Jessica slim PB 600||Suspended hood with grease and charcoal filter||55|
Top 3: Best Island Hoods
|1.||Maunfeld Berta 90||The best island hood of 2022||471|
|2.||Bosch DHL 555 BL||50 cm wide island kitchen hood||218|
|3.||Faber CYLINDRA IS./4 EV8 X A37||Stand-alone extractor hood with remote control||1053|
Top 3: Best wall mounted hoods
|1.||MAUNFELD Tower C 60||The best wall mounted hood of 2022||102|
|2.||Weissgauff TALLY 60 TC||3 speed range hood||118|
|3.||Weissgauff Gamma 60 PB||Quality wall mounted hood with halogen lamp||105|
Top 3: Best Ceiling Hoods
|1.||Falmec NUVOLA ISOLA 140 IX ECP||Best ceiling-mounted kitchen hood 2022||1500|
|2.||ELICA ILLUSION H30 PAINT/A/100||Expensive ceiling kitchen hood||1645|
|3.||LEX TUBO ISOLA 350||Stylish ceiling-mounted hood||339|
Types of kitchen hoods by installation method
All hoods can be subdivided according to the method of installation into the following options:
These varieties are especially popular with customers who want to design the entire kitchen space in a uniform style. The extractor hood is installed inside the cabinet located above the cooking area.
However, when choosing a built-in model, it is worth considering its disadvantages:
These units are the most common and inexpensive. Fitted directly above the stove.
The mechanism involves a special motor that draws steam through the filter, a fan and replaceable cartridges. As with any removable item, they need to be replaced when dirty.
How to Choose The Right Range Hood. 2021 Buyer’s Guide
They are compact and will fit into even the smallest kitchen. In order to optimize space, it can be installed under the cabinet. Variable speed and backlighting available.
- are often not equipped with an air duct, and the built-in filters must be replaced periodically;
- Have a small capacity;
- Suitable only for small rooms.
The most powerful units that are used in large kitchens. The principle of operation is to connect to the central ventilation system, allowing you to work with a higher capacity.
In addition, there is a large variety of such models in design, you can pick up for any interior.
- They effectively evacuate the exhaust air even from a large room;
- Solid appearance;
- For kitchens of non-standard layout corner models are available.
Such hoods are also called island hoods. They can be rectangular, oval or T-shaped.
High power level of such devices allows them to remove unwanted odors from the room effectively.
- High-quality cleaning of a large volume of air;
- modern, attractive design;
- A wide range of functions;
- The possibility of installation anywhere, including the center of the kitchen.
Tip: allowable noise levels
Working in the kitchen is often quite time consuming. And the hum of ventilation can be oppressive. So be sure to check the noise level when buying.
If the sound emitted by the hood and its airflow is 35 decibels or less, the ventilation unit can be considered very quiet. A noise level of 45 decibels, which can be compared to the sound of a conversation occurring up to 10 meters away, is considered quiet. If your kitchen is insulated, a cooker hood that sounds up to 50 decibels is not uncomfortable for your family. But a 50 decibel cooker hood is not the right solution. That’s a sound you can’t ignore.