With what and how best to cover the radiator: options for masking radiators
Unfortunately, the appearance of even the most modern heating devices does not always meet aesthetic requirements, and sometimes can not fit perfectly into the interior of the room. The desire of owners to eliminate this drawback is quite natural.
Before you close the radiator, you should understand all the subtleties of the question. Otherwise, the cost of heating your home can significantly increase. In our material we will tell you how to do it without much financial cost and heat loss.
What is it
Installing a protective screen on the radiator contributes to limiting the heat output of the equipment by 10-60%.
In order to ensure that energy efficiency is reduced slightly, at the bottom is organized indentation from the floor, the main panel is represented by a peorized plane, and on top there is no cover, or slots are made, holes for the exit of the heated air mass.
How to choose the right one
In a small room with powerful heating it is often stuffy. Correct the situation by using screens on the radiators, which are structurally represented by a solid box and a fine mesh panel. In other cases, it is necessary to provide access to air flows by means of large slots.
Available varieties of screens
Consumers are offered an extensive choice of decorative grilles for batteries, which differ in size, shape, design, material of manufacture and other characteristics.
Choosing the best option, you must be guided by the task of the equipment, the specifics of the room and personal preferences of the owner.
There are 3 basic types of radiator screens:
- Hinged structures. Models of this type are used to hide old cast iron radiators, which resemble an accordion. These simple decorative designs can have 1 or more sections, with or without a top cover. They are attached by hooks or overlapped on the ribs of the heating equipment.
- Flat designs. They are also called façade radiators and are used for radiators located in niches. Products take the form of a rectangular frame with a purlin inside. They are mounted with an overlap on a wall niche so that the radiator does not protrude beyond its borders.
- Protective boxes. This is the best option for hiding radiators located along the wall of the room. Screens of this type are the most complex in the manufacture and installation. Protective box completely covers old radiators and looks great in any interior. Product disadvantage. part of the heat stays inside it, and only 40-50% gets into the room.
Radiator screens can be mobile and stationary. Installation method is chosen depending on how the batteries are installed in the room. The main thing is that the construction can be easily removed.
Even a simple screen on the heating battery improves the distribution of hot streams. To increase the convection of hot air in the design of most models have peoria
Advantages of protective screens on heating radiators
Decorative and protective products for heating batteries have many advantages, among which we can note the following are the most important:
- Perform a protective function, that is, prevent the likelihood of burns when in contact with a hot radiator, as well as reduce the risk of injury when hitting the radiator, which is especially important if there are small children in the family;
- Screens for radiators improve the distribution of heat in the room, that is, increase convection, creating a natural barrier to air thresholds, as a result of this barrier, the warm air enters the space evenly and the room is fully heated;
- Cover unsightly old radiators, which can not be replaced, for example, in the absence of funds, or when the repair is not planned in the near future, screens are much less, and therefore more affordable option;
- screens prevent dust from getting onto the heating radiator, due to the special design of the screens. In the absence of this product, small organic and inorganic particles penetrate to the back of the radiator and remain on the ribs, it is almost impossible to clean the radiator completely, and when heated, the dust rises up and the residents have to breathe dirty air. The screens create an excellent barrier to dust and, in addition, they can be freely wet cleaned;
- there is a wide choice of design solutions, the screens are easy to match absolutely any interior and harmoniously fit into the overall style, thanks to the large variety of colors, shapes and materials, this detail not only serves as protection, but is also a decorative element;
- Versatility of application, the product can be installed in rooms for various purposes. in private houses, apartments, offices, industrial facilities and other residential and public buildings.
Apple Watch Series 6 vs. SE: Comparing Screen, Battery, Speed, Features, & Appearance
Screens for radiators perfectly hide all the defects of heating batteries, they are easy to install and easy to care for. If you can not find among the ready-made products the ideal solution, you can order an individual design. The cost, of course, will be higher, but the room, where the planned installation of products, will play with new colors.
Types of screens for radiators: a brief description
There are several basic classifications of decorative screens, the first of which implies their division into several groups according to the features of design and includes:
- Shields in the form of a closed box are used in cases where you want to completely cover the radiator;
- Flat screens are used to mask radiators located in niches;
- Hinged screens for radiators is a construction with a cover and used to mask the ugly cast-iron radiators, strongly protruding from under the window sill.
There is another current classification of screens for radiators, which involves the division of models according to the material used. Taking into account this classification, the following varieties are distinguished:
Let’s consider in more detail the characteristics of each of them.
- Metal screens, in appearance, most often represent a box for the manufacture of which used a thin sheet of metal. Despite the rather plain and somewhat primitive appearance, they fully cope with their functional task. The modern market offers more expensive screens made of stainless steel, which can be varied at the expense of peorization. To install metal screens do not need specialized skills, as they are simply hung on the radiator;
- Plastic screens, in view of the diversity of the model range and democratic pricing policy, are the most affordable option for all segments of the population. However, experts do not recommend their use in living rooms, as when heated plastic can emit harmful substances;
- Wooden models are most often made to order from precious wood, taking into account the pre-designed sketch. Due to its aesthetics and noble appearance, wooden screens will be the perfect complement to a variety of interior concepts, including classic, rustic and modern eco-style. The main disadvantage of wooden screens is the tendency to dry out and deformation caused by changes in temperature and humidity. To protect and prolong the operation of wooden screens use only high quality wood, which is the reason for the high cost of products. Radiators, supplemented with woven decorative grilles, acquire an aesthetic appearance;
- Wood fiberboard grill screens are virtually the same in appearance as wooden models, but cost much less. Thanks to the use of modern technologies in the process of their production, screens made of fiberboard is a practical and, at the same time, an affordable solution for many. Wood-fiber board. a material of almost the same quality as wood, which can be used to manufacture screens of various shapes, colors and designs;
- Glass screens are exclusive models, which are used for the production of tempered (stained) glass. Often such models become an unusual decoration of exquisite interiors. Glass screens are decorated with patterns that you can choose at your discretion, and require careful use and constant care.
Types and materials of metal screens on the radiator
Protective panels for heating devices, made of metal, have many advantages. Such products are somewhat different from other screens. The advantages of metal products are as follows:
- environmental safety;
- No deformation during operation;
- strength of the panel;
- high convection;
- To install the product does not require the help of professional installers;
- the color of the screen over time does not change.
How to choose a battery: A battery chemistry tutorial
Panels that protect the radiator have different designs. The materials from which they are made are also different.
What are the designs of screens for batteries (metal):
Metal protective panel for the radiator can be made of:
To hang a protective screen on the radiator, you do not need the help of professionals. You can do this work yourself. These devices are made of perforated metal sheets. The distribution of warm air in the room, this product will not interfere.
Thermal conductivity of the material from which the hinged metal panel is made, is high. Because of the specially made holes the heat exchange in the room will be even better. Metal screens for heating batteries can be with rounded edges and rectangular. As a rule, the construction of such a product makes it possible to bring a pipeline to the radiator. Special openings can be either on one side or on both sides.
Metal screens for heating batteries (built-in type) are made of steel sheets with peoria. Most often they are installed in apertures or niches. Installation of products carried out with silicone-based sealant or screws. It is necessary to observe the technological process of assembling.
The protective panel can be convex, so you can hide the protruding parts of the radiator, if they are conspicuous.
Pay attention! The screen of this form can be both hinged and recessed. What is better to prefer? It depends on the interior design.
You can choose steel decorative hinged panels coated with paint on a polymer base. The coating is strong and durable. Such a screen looks good, polymer paint adheres firmly to the metal surface.
Recommended articles on the subject:
Minus painted screens. a poor choice of colors and a small number of design options. These screens do not fit every radiator. Usually such protective devices are made for a particular type of heater. The main advantage of painted products. radiators will be safely hidden.
An important point: Choosing a metal screen for the radiator, guided by the fact that it should not interfere with the heater. In addition to protecting radiators, such hinged panels should also serve as a decoration of the interior, whether it is an apartment or an office.
As a rule, the screen of stainless steel in the room looks good. There are products of all possible designs. The surface of the products can be processed in different ways. The disadvantages of stainless steel screens. they are expensive and do not fit every interior in style.
Today, modern technology used in the manufacture of stainless steel screens allow you to get products designed in any way, such as techno or high-tech. Of course, the interior design must be appropriate. Practical canopies for stainless steel radiator screens can be used in every room. They look spectacular not only in the rooms, but also in any common areas.
Decorative screens for heating batteries: general features and advantages
Modern model of the screen on the radiator (regardless of species). a product that is installed on the radiator for decoration.
Heating battery screens are made of different materials. Plastic, wood or metal. that’s what is used for the manufacture of decorative screens for heating batteries.
So, for example, metal screens for batteries are durable and practical, perfectly transmit heat and go with any interior.
As for the plastic and wood, then this kind of protective screen on the radiator attracts consumers diversity and the ability to translate into reality various design ideas. And the price is several times lower. in comparison with metal screens on radiators.
For more information about the cost of these products of all types. read the article on our website “Where to buy a screen for the radiator.
If you like tinkering, you can make a screen yourself. The following article on our website will help you in this case.
Advice! When choosing grids for radiators, consider the resistance to high temperatures and combustion. That is, fire safety in the first place!
The advantages of decorative screens for heating batteries:
- Additional protection against dust penetration on radiators, which have a complex design for washing.
- You can pick up a protective screen on the radiator in a room with any interior.
- Protect young children from bruises and burns on the sharp corners of heating devices.
- They help to spread warm air in the room more evenly.
- A quick method to hide old batteries, which spoil the overall interior of the renovated room.
Types of decorative screens
Shields for heating batteries. a protective construction for radiators, giving the room a more aesthetic appearance and protecting against burns at high temperatures of heating fluid. There are four types of such products as a screen on the radiator heating, each type has its own characteristics.
Flat shields for heating batteries is a frame with a crate. Condition for installation. the battery must sink into the recess. The size of heating devices are different, respectively, niches for their placement also have different sizes, so before the screens for heating batteries to buy, you need to know the exact dimensions of the place of installation of the screen.
Flat protective screens fit perfectly into any interior and give the room a fresh, attractive look.
Using, together with decorative grilles, heat shields, fixed behind the heating device on the wall, significantly improve the heating of the room.
Curtain screen. easy to install. Such a hinged screen on the radiator is usually manufactured in the factory, and comes on sale for two or four sections. Therefore, before you buy a screen on the cast iron heating battery, you need to count the number of sections of the device. Can make your own decoration of the factory product. Usually used stainless steel alloys or aluminum. An experienced designer can so change the appearance of a standard product that it becomes attractive, fresh and original.
Protective boxes are a great solution if the radiators are placed along the wall. They are considered the most complex in the manufacture and come in several forms by design: boxes attached to the wall, removable boxes (a variant with an opening top cover). Also need to consider the duration of the heating season, because virtually the structure is under the influence of high temperature for at least six months, which means the material must be resistant to temperature effects.
Glass screens are made of glass with drawings on the surface. They can fit perfectly into any interior of the room. Glass screen for the radiator the price of which is quite reasonable, you can order in any online store. To order you will need to measure and accurately specify the required dimensions of the product.
How to close the radiators correctly. technical rules and tips.
Before you close the heating battery, it is necessary to take into account several technical nuances:
- Keep in mind that the heat transfer of a closed radiator is reduced in any case, whichever method of masking you choose. The main thing is that the change is not essential. Ideally the temperature drop in the room should be about 1-1.5 degrees.
- Before closing the radiator, put it in order: blow, rinse (this is done at the end of the heating season) and paint.
- Keep in mind that the denser the weave of the grid, the better it masks the radiator, but the worse it conducts heat. So, choosing a screen for a battery, try to look for the golden mean or to bet on heat saving.
- To keep heat loss to a minimum, the screen can be placed on legs, and a groove can be cut in the center.
- When closing the radiator, it is very important not to block the convective air flows, otherwise the room will blow and the windows will mist up, which will eventually lead to mold on the walls. Ideally the window sill visor should stand over the radiator no more than 30 mm and the radiator top and bottom should be as open as possible.
- Between the battery and the screen should be at least 35-50 mm. From the radiator to the floor and to the window sill there should be a gap of about 60-70 mm.
- free access to the radiator should be provided for emergency situations. For example, the grating of the box can be demountable, hinged (see photo), openable with a hinge. For example, the grating of a box can be demountable (see photo), opening on hinges or extending on profiles.
At least for the trouble-free maintenance the following things should stay in easy reach: pipe connection nodes, valves, thermal head and threaded joints.
To increase heat output by 20-25% you can place on the wall behind the radiator a heat-reflecting screen, for example, fumisol. This is often sufficient to fully compensate for the heat loss of a closed radiator.