Select and connect the thermostat for the house
Always keep the temperature in the room under control and save energy when using mains-powered heaters, you can connect the thermostat.
The principle of operation of such a device is not complicated:
- It monitors the level of heating of the room;
- As soon as the set parameters are reached, the thermostat switches the heater off;
- When the room gets colder than it needs to be, turn it back on.
Temperature Controller Install Diagram । Engineers CommonRoom
Thanks to the thermostat, the heater operates only when it is necessary to maintain the set temperature parameters, and the room maintains a stable microclimate without excessive heat or excessive cooling.
Infrared heater temperature controller and its function
The operation of any heater is accompanied by a heating of the casing, the air medium and objects in the room. Lack of control over these processes is not acceptable. overheating the heater is fraught with the risk of fire, not to mention the excessive heating of the air in the room and the unwarranted overuse of energy. For this reason, modern heating devices are always equipped with temperature regulators, the installation location and design of which is determined by the intended use.
Important! The heater output control knob is not a substitute for a temperature controller.
Depending on where it is installed. directly on the unit or in the actual area of the room (remote devices), the thermostat responds to changes in temperature of the heater body or the air in the room and performs switching on and off the heater, maintaining a predetermined mode.
Controlled thermostats: On the left is the regular one from the liquid heater, on the right. additional remote.
Let’s take a closer look at temperature regulating devices, built-in and remote, installed on infrared heaters.
How to connect the thermostat to the infrared heater?
We will not go into the types and kinds of regulators, arrange comparisons and tournaments. They are all good in their own way and will serve their purpose, serving faithfully. The first thing you want to pay attention to is the place of installation. It does not depend on what type of heaters you have: infrared, panel, underfloor heating, convection.
Installation of thermostat with an air temperature sensor is prohibited in the following places:
All of these places are unsuitable for placing a thermostat, because when placed near the heater, the air next to it will heat up to the desired temperature sooner, leading to false triggering, resulting in a room not heated to a comfortable temperature.
If you install the thermostat in the heating zone of the IR heater, its body will heat up earlier and distort the sensor readings. In areas where there is a draft, the sensor will not show the correct temperature and heaters will overheat the room, wasting unnecessary energy. Placing the thermostat according to the height should be made in the comfort zone, at the level of 1.5 meter from the floor.
Types of thermoregulators
Despite the universal nature of the principle of operation of thermostat, there are several classifications for these assistive devices that determine the algorithm of their connection, control and adjustment. Thus, the thermostats can be divided into two large types according to the mechanism of action:
Reliable and easy to operate, mechanical thermostats look like a box of plastic with a lever that controls the temperature parameters. Added to the convenience in operation is the presence of scale, the graduations of which are marked in 1-degree increments. Inside the device there is a sensitive membrane, the heating or cooling of which is the basis of climate control. The popularity of these models has its own reasons:
- The connection scheme does not require any special skills and is accessible even to the beginner;
- simple design is a guarantee of durability;
- Relatively low cost in comparison with their electronic counterparts.
The main features of electronic temperature controllers are as follows:
- display of information about settings and processes on the display screen;
- the need for power supply;
- push-button or touch-sensitive control panels;
- It is possible to program climatic indicators for a day or for the whole week;
- remote control through a mobile app;
- connection of additional climatic devices (e.g. heated floor).
To extend the life of an electronic appliance, avoid exposing it to direct sunlight and take care to avoid drafts in the room.
Technical characteristics and types of thermoregulators
So in order to proceed, actually, to install the equipment, you need to know and have an idea of its structure and characteristics. This is necessary in order to properly find out the effectiveness of a particular device for your use.
Thermostat, as its name says, regulates the temperature in the room. It does this by measuring the air temperature in the room, and depending on the results, and the setting already adjusts the heating system. That is, if you have one or more heaters, no matter what, which set a certain temperature, and then turn off, then it is the work of our thermostat. The principle of operation is simple and does not require any in-depth knowledge.
Currently there are two types of thermostats on the market: electronic and mechanical. They all look like a small box, often made of plastic. On the front side, there is necessarily a temperature regulator, although there are models where it is placed on the side. The type of device depends on the manufacturer, model and, accordingly, on its price. As a rule, mechanical thermostats have a control in the form of a wheel or buttons, and electronic ones are equipped with a touch screen or a large set of buttons, and also have remote control.
How to Install Temperature Controller Relay Type Rex c100
Manufacturers recommend using mechanical thermostats only when there is always someone in the room. Electronic ones are more intelligent in this regard and do not need constant monitoring.
Thermostats are connected to all modern heating devices and infrared heaters are no exception. We are going to talk about them in our article.
See also. How to choose the perfect air conditioner for your home and apartment
- The advantage of infrared heating systems is the ability to combine the work of the device with control devices.
- Electronic and mechanical thermostats keep the set temperature.
- In addition, it is possible to connect programmable devices that can perform such tasks as turning on the heater in certain hours or days.
- There are many mechanical devices on the market that can be mounted on the wall: surface-mounted or built-in thermostats can be combined with any type of electrical wiring.
- Bilux offers high quality thermostats to control the air in the room.
- Built-in temperature sensors react to reaching a certain limit, turning off the heater.
- Temperature range 530 degrees.
- This range was not chosen by chance: the value of 5 degrees is necessary to avoid freezing in the room in the absence of people.
- Popular values of the set temperature is the range from 16 to 27 degrees.
How to Use Temperature Controller | PID Controller with SSR | Temperature ON OFF Controller
Programmable devices have a wider temperature range of 545 degrees. Protection class, output current and switching capacity of mechanical and programmable devices are the same. Programmable thermostat has a backlit touchscreen display. You can also control the temperature of the underfloor heating and air. The thermostat can be set for a week.
The choice of thermostat
The important characteristic of the device is the amperage, that is, the maximum power. When choosing a device, pay attention to this value. Thermostat is capable of controlling the operation of multiple heating devices. However, the maximum load level must be 15% higher than the total power of infrared devices.
For example, the power of the thermostat. 3kW, there are three infrared devices in the house. two kilowatt heaters and a 600W heater. Total power. 2.6 kW. A single thermostat will be sufficient to control these appliances.
Connecting the thermostat to infrared systems
To ensure the quality of the thermostat, it is mounted in a place that is free from heat sources and sunlight. Installation height must be at least 1.5 meters from the floor. To prevent the effect of low temperatures on the accuracy of the readings, put insulating material between the device and the wall. For each room will need a separate device that can manage the work of multiple infrared devices.
At direct connection without additional intermediate devices, thermostats with the maximum load current corresponding to the capacity of heating devices will be required. If the total capacity of heaters exceeds the maximum thermostat current, additional thermostats or contactors are required.
Tweaks and nuances
Fixing the thermostat is made so that the sensor is not exposed to infrared rays. Electrical connection, according to the diagram, which is attached to the infrared equipment. For example, the scheme to the Bilux infrared heaters explains in detail how to connect the thermostat.
Certain wires are connected to terminals. PE. ground, L. phase, N. neutral. The phase conductor is disconnected with an auto-switch. The ground connection goes directly from the switchboard to the heat emitter.
When you use the thermostat for the first time, you should let it run in tandem with the heater for at least five hours. During this time, the process grease evaporates, so don’t be alarmed by the smell of burning.
All manipulations with the devices are performed only when the power is off. Since connection cables are not included with the thermostat, you will have to buy them yourself. Maximum allowable value of current load for mechanical thermostats. 16A, for electronic. 8A.
The product is connected from the socket only if the amount of current consumed does not exceed 10A. Otherwise the power is supplied from the junction box with a separate cable. The line should be protected with a circuit breaker.
Calculation of cable cross-section according to the current is mandatory, if a separate conductor from the junction box is made. Choosing an insufficient core diameter can damage the wiring. Electronic thermostats are more functional than mechanical thermostats, and also allow you to save energy by using special modes.
Home Blog How to Connect the Thermostat to the Infrared Heater
How to connect the thermostat to the heater?
Electric convectors are a great alternative to gas heating. They are completely safe, do not require installation of heating pipes, can quickly heat the air in the room to the required level. Having the original design, heating panels will fit harmoniously into any interior. One of the main advantages of electric heating convectors is the ability to regulate their work with different control systems. This allows you to operate the heating in different modes and control the heating of the room as accurately as possible.
Variants of connection of thermostat
Now it is necessary to find out how to connect the thermostat to the infrared heater, if in such work you have no experience:
- Micathermic heater for the home should not be more than 3 kW.
- Do not install the thermostat directly next to the appliance.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the thermostat casing.
- It is undesirable to connect the infrared heater to thermostat in rooms with high humidity.
Diagram for connecting a thermostat to an infrared heater
Let’s consider a standard connection scheme of a household infrared heater through thermostat (more details in the article connect the infrared heater through a thermostat):
- As a rule, a micathermic heater is connected to a standard socket or with a dedicated coping line from the circuit breaker on the electrical panel. The thermostat is inserted into the network between the heater and the automatic burner control.
- Note the construction of the thermostat. It has four terminals: two on the input and, respectively, as many on the output.
- If one heater is connected, then two wires depart from the electrical panel to the terminals of the device. To the terminals that are located on the output (plus and minus) are connected two wires. It is important to observe the polarity. The terminals are connected directly to the micathermic heater.
- If two heaters are installed, from the automatic unit to the regulator, the neutral and phase are wired again, and the regulator is wired for a pair of heaters. In this case the connection type is parallel.
Sometimes infrared heaters with a thermostat require a more complex connection. To do each step correctly, it is better to follow the recommendations of the video, where everything is clearly shown and commented. It all depends on the design of the thermostat and the IR heater itself:
- The thermostat is connected to the fuse box on the electrical panel.
- The output terminals ( and.) Are connected to a magnetic starter.
- The starter contacts are connected directly to the infrared heater.
Two heaters connected to a thermostat
It is worth noting that this algorithm is also suitable for the regulator of industrial heating devices.
Design and purpose of the thermostat
Electronic device with sensors, display, control buttons, temperature sensor or controller to control the heating system. Element is connected to a heating appliance, such as an infrared heater. According to the set parameters, the heating elements are turned on/off. This can be done after a set period of time, or when the room is cooled to a certain temperature.
The thermostat has a casing with a power scale and a shutoff button
Thermostat or thermostat can be different kinds, but the main task of any such device is to maintain a certain temperature of the coolant for heating or cooling space. Setting can be done manually and further operation is automatic. Such a device makes controlling the heaters more convenient than if there is no controlling element. Due to this there is a saving of energy resources, time. The thermostat is also useful because if the heater does not turn off automatically, the control unit emits an audible warning signal.
Thermostats are varied, but have the same functions
The devices can be installed in both residential and industrial premises. Devices often complement the system of the main or additional heating of the space, allowing you to control the level of heating.
Electronic or mechanical is installed in the heating medium system and collects information about the current temperature readings. When a low or high reading is reached, the device stops or starts. Thermostats for infrared heaters are designed on the basis that the device heats not the air, but the surrounding objects.