Removing a clog in the washing machine by yourself
Washing machine manufacturers place the filter in approximately the same place. on the front front, in the bottom right corner. This choice is explained by the requirement of maximum accessibility and ease of inspection and cleaning.
The user manual necessarily indicates the location of the filter unit, as well as describes how to get to it. As a rule, access is concealed by a metal or plastic panel, which is attached to the housing with a latch.
In creating new modern models, manufacturers care more about user comfort, so to get to the filter is not difficult. In machines produced more than ten years ago, it may take a lot of effort to open the panel, so it is better to read the manufacturer’s recommendations first.
Attention! Some owners of washing machines may encounter the most inconvenient location of the filter. under the side wall. To access the cleaning block you need to unscrew the housing panel. Fortunately, this option is very rare and is found in older models.
Washer Won’t Drain?. How to Unclog Your Drain Pump. DIY Tutorial
The most common way to attach the filter to the drainage system. the usual thread. Turning the head of the filter unit counterclockwise makes it easy for the user to detach it and get the accumulated debris out to restore the normal flow of dirty water. Some manufacturers used a more complicated version of fixing. with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver.
How to clear a clog in the bathroom and prevent a new one
Read more The filter itself is a mesh cylinder on a plastic base. It serves as a barrier, through which small objects can not pass, getting stuck on the mesh. Without this element of the drain system, foreign elements would get on the impeller of the pump and would instantly block its operation, causing the motor to burn out. To protect against such serious consequences and is designed filter unit. Its regular cleaning ensures that the appliance will work smoothly for a long time.
How to understand if the machine is clogged
If the washing machine is suddenly clogged, it is quite difficult to identify the clog just by external signs. Usually, when a major clog occurs, the drain stops functioning and the washing machine is banal can not drain the used water from the tank and hangs in the middle of the washing program. At the same time you can visually see through the hatch window that there is water in the tank.
With a weaker clog, the washing machine can’t drain quickly enough. As a consequence, the washing machine gives out an error code, and also hangs in the middle of washing, leaving the remaining spent water in the tank. These symptoms are characteristic of clogs, but this does not mean that these symptoms are not characteristic of other problems. In the article repair of the washing machine pump, we consider exactly the same symptoms when the drain pump fails.
Some people think that a broken pump does not make any noise. Nothing of the kind, a broken pump can hum as well as serviceable, but still not perform its functions.
The same symptoms can occur when the control module or pressostat of the washing machine is defective. In general, without a more detailed study of the issue can not do. What can really be done to determine the malfunction? What is it, a clog or not a clog?
Unfortunately, there are no simple recipes in this case. You have to check the entire list of possible failures one by one, moving from the easiest and most accessible options to the most complicated until you stumble upon a failure.
- First, let’s open the drain of the waste filter by unscrewing the filter itself. A clog often forms right in the drain; if that’s the case, you can stop looking.
- If there is no garbage in the drain, disconnect the washer from the network and water supply system, and move it to the middle of the room. We tilt the machine on the left side and through the bottom of the washer get to the pump, and the pipe that is adjacent to it. At this stage we check the pump, the adjacent pipe and the drain hose.
- If the clog or other malfunction is still not detected, through the bottom of the washing machine unscrew the pump and then the washing machine motor. Now there is nothing to stop us from checking the main hose from the tank to the trash filter. It is not particularly convenient to do this, but it is still better than removing the front wall of the washing machine.
- If in this case, too, no fault or clog detected, feel free to contact the master. Most likely the problem is serious and can not be solved by ourselves.
How to clean a clogged drain in a washing machine?
If after another load of laundry you notice that the water from the tank of an automatic washer is running slower than usual, the drain of the washer is most likely clogged. Such a malfunction is quite common, as the elements of the drain system from time to time clogged with lint, garbage particles, hairs, washed from things, soap scum accumulates on the parts.
You can cope with the clog yourself, without resorting to the help of repairmen. To clean the drain system of the washing machine, you need to prepare a special cleaner, sponge, cleaner, plastic rope, as well as to stock up a couple of hours of free time.
Preventing clogging of the drain pump
Among the main reasons after exposure to which you need to clean the pump or hose, highlight the use of hard or dirty water for washing, wrong detergents, the abundance of garbage on items. Following a number of rules will reduce the risk of clogging important functional elements:
- For washing your clothes you can use only special washing powder intended for automatic washing.
- Articles, especially those from which threads or small parts can come off, should be placed in a bag or net in advance.
- A good quality filter should be installed in front of the hose that carries water into the machine.
- If it seems that the performance of the machine began to decline, you need to disassemble the device in time and clean all the filters and pumps.
Recommended: What you need to know about the first start-up of a new washing machine?
It turns out that, despite all the troublesomeness of the task at hand, it is possible to cope with it independently. The main thing is not to deviate from the instructions, follow the sequence of actions and work strictly according to the plan.
How to clean the drain hose of a washing machine
Every person, creating comfort around himself, tries to buy as many modern household appliances as possible. However, these household helpers, require constant attention and care. Modern washing machines are capable of performing the entire washing process themselves, but they also malfunction, and the most common malfunction is clogging. To go to the master with a similar breakdown every time awkward, so it is better to figure out yourself how to clean the drain hose of the washing machine, if it is clogged and clogged. It would seem that what is easier. disconnect the drain hose and rinse in water. But in practice, everything is not so simple, because to remove the hose, you still need to get to it, because it is connected somewhere inside the machine. In this article we will familiarize you with how to clean the washing machine from clogs and what to do to prevent such a problem.
How to prevent the problem?
To avoid such problems, heed the following recommendations:
- Before the washing process, be sure to check the s of your clothes for small objects.
- Use special washcloths and bags for laundry and other delicate garments.
- Make sure all locks, buttons and fasteners are fully fastened during the wash.
- For preventive purposes, put an extra filter on the feed pipe when installing the device.
- Use the detergents recommended by the appliance manufacturer. In our separate publication, you can learn about liquid laundry detergent.
- Use extra water softeners if there is no filter in the pipe.
- Regularly clean the drainage system once every two months.
- Always descale the washer-dryer regularly, otherwise it is difficult to remove limescale deposits from the washer-dryer later on.
Fixing the drains
Statistically speaking, the drainage pipe is the one we have to check and clean the most often. You can get to it through the bottom of the washer. On open-bottom models the drain pipe juts out. just tilt the appliance to the side and you have the pipe right at your fingertips. If your washer has a drip tray or bottom lid, you’ll need to remove it first, and then you’ll also need to access the socket.
Drainage pipe has three points of connection: the pump, tank and pressure hose. Our job is to loosen or squeeze the clamps holding the branch pipe at all points of connection, and then just pull it aside. If the branch pipe is in satisfactory condition for its cleaning use a special cleaner. The cleaner will clean it properly, then you only have to put the element back in place. If the branch pipe is worn or damaged, it is necessary to replace it with the similar, making installation on old collars.
FYI! A solution of citric acid will clean the branch pipe well. It is necessary to soak in 2 liters of water 100 grams of water. Soak in lemon juice, and then put the pipe in this solution for 2 hours. Then pull out the socket and rinse it under running cold water.
, Note who will clean your washing machine better than you. The answer is obvious. an experienced technician. But his services are quite expensive, and cleaning should be performed regularly, including the cleaning of spigots. We told you how to install, dismantle and clean the main pipes of the washing machine, we hope this information will be useful to you. Good luck!
Cleaning the hose
Having removed the element, inspect it and make sure that it is not damaged anywhere. You’ll need a thin wire with a small wire brush on the end. it’s great for cleaning soap scum. For a neat and effective cleaning, we suggest you use the tips:
- Make reciprocating movements with the cable, returning it back from time to time. The process is similar to cleaning a clogged sewer pipe.
- Rinse the washing machine drain hose under the water jet.
- Put it in place.
- Reassemble the washer with all the parts in place.
To consolidate the result pour into the powder box 100 grams of citric acid, set the temperature to 60 degrees and turn on the “idle” mode.
The process of removing the hose
Despite the differences in the design of washing machines, the principle of disassembly is common. The hose is connected to the pump and comes out through a special hole in the back wall. Less often on the back wall may be an adapter to which the hose is connected. The technique is disassembled in the following order:
- Remove the desired wall. Depending on the manufacturer, you need to remove the front, rear side cover or floor of the washing machine.
- Loosen the clamp that secures the hose to the pump.
- Disconnecting the drain hose from the pump.
- Remove the fastening of the part to the back wall. Some models do not need to do this, as the back wall is removed during disassembly to access the pump.
If it is necessary to remove the front cover to access the pump, the detergent drawer must be carefully removed before doing so. As a rule, it is attached to the plug, which will be accessible when opening the powder container.