What to seal the kettle, if it leaks: rules, tools and step-by-step instructions
Depending on the nature of the fault a multimeter, sandpaper, insulation material and a soldering iron with solder and flux may be necessary. It is advisable to start with the visible fasteners. The first step is to unscrew every screw in sight. Afterwards the cover on the rear side should be removed.
Then you need to pull up the main part of the device, which is attached to plastic latches. The latter are picked up with a knife
It is important to be careful at this stage, as excessive force will cause the latches to break. If there are screws on the outside of the case, these elements must also be unscrewed
Electric kettle leaks: what to do, how to repair it yourself
The kettle, like all household appliances, sooner or later malfunctions, breaks down. The causes and consequences are unpredictable. However, depending on certain signs of damage, you can still try to repair the device yourself.
What to do if the electric kettle is leaking?
In most cases, you can make repairs yourself if the kettle leaks. However, ignorant people in electronics need to contact specialists to get a quality repair kettle.
Finding the cause
Before you make a decision, you should first determine the cause of the breakage and its nature. Below will be described signs of damage and their brief characteristics:
- Crack on the water level scale. The water level is usually made of plastic, which can crack over time due to dryness.
- Damaged casing. Violation of the integrity of the body occurs under various mechanical influences. For example, when filling the kettle with cold water immediately after draining the hot water can provoke microcracks in particularly weak places.
- Weak attachment of the heating element.
- Corrosion of the bottom. In this case, there may be a gap at the junction of the bottom with the casing.
Now about what you can do with each of the considered breakdowns. Manual repair of the electric kettle is possible in the following cases.
- It is not possible to replace the measuring glass itself, but you can try to seal the crack tightly with tape or duct tape, which will significantly reduce water loss.
- If the level of your kettle is a tube, all you need to do is to stop the access of water to it.
- You can also try to seal the cracks with hot melt glue. It is enough to apply a layer of glue to the crack of the housing or indicator with a special gun. Wait for the substance to dry completely before testing the kettle for serviceability.
- A cheaper variant is cold welding. Similarly to the previous example, apply the weld to the damaged surface and let it harden. Afterwards pour cold water into the kettle and check the water tightness.
TIP! This way of solving the problem is effective for micro-cracks of the water indicator. In other cases you may need the help of a specialist or the device replacement.
As in the previous example, if the crack is insignificant, you can try to fix the place of damage with thermal adhesive or cold welding.
Weak fixing of the heating element:
If the bottom part of the kettle “hangs”, the problem is solved by simply tightening the screws. Next, place the electric kettle on a napkin, paper or any other absorbent material. After a while you will see the result.
If there is still a wet spot on the paper or cloth, only the O-ring replacement will help here. Below you will find step by step instructions on how to do it:
Electric Kettle Repair. stuck lid and leaking at the base fixed!
- Remove the bottom of the kettle. Here the instruction manual with a detailed description of the equipment set can help.
- Take out the disk with the gasket.
- Remove the gasket from the disk.
Inspect the disk, housing and silicone gasket for signs of malfunction. There can be two situations:
If no serious damage is detected, it could be a loose connection between the disc and the housing. It is recommended to descale the parts and put them back in their place.
When repair is not possible
It happens that neither the proposed methods, nor the craftsman are able to restore the electric kettle. In this case, the appliance must be scrapped and replaced with a new one. The list of damages, in which the repair is powerless:
- Bottom corrosion. Rusted metal is a sign that the integrity of its surface has been compromised, provoking oxidation of the bottom as a whole.
- Serious damage to the case. A broken off lid or a significant part of the case is not repairable.
- Burnt wiring. If in a short circuit inside the kettle wires burned and at the same time melted part of the body and damaged other parts of the kettle, then such a device can be immediately replaced.
Electric kettle, like any household appliance, requires compliance with the rules of operation. This will increase the life of the appliance and reduce the cost of repair or replacement.
If you find a minor leak, you do not always need to rush to put a patch. Sometimes it is better to wait a few days. Limescale, which constantly appears when the kettle is in operation, can tighten a small micro-crack on its own.
To keep the new kettle from leaking for as long as possible, you should boil filtered water. This will ensure the preservation of the gasket, which in turn will serve as a guarantee of reliable tightness of the housing.
Despite the official statements of service shops on the impossibility of quality and warranty repair of leaking electric kettle, you do not need to hurry to buy a new device. Repair with the help of modern universal adhesive mixtures will give a second life to the device, and the family budget will bring tangible savings.
General rules of gluing
No need to guess how to seal the kettle. The technology of such repair has long been known and tested by home craftsmen. First of all, the surface is degreased, use:
Remains of the solvent is washed off with warm water. Waiting for the glued surfaces to dry. Moisture impairs adhesion. glue (sealant) adhesion to the kettle surface. The adhesive is injected into the crack with a syringe.
Each sealant has a characteristic. curing time. It is specified in the instructions for use, depends on several parameters:
After sealing the crack kettle must stand the required time. When the sealant is completely dry, boil the water. It does not drink. Drain into the sink. Repeat this 3 times. Such a procedure eliminates the ingress of harmful substances into the body.
The main places of leaks and their causes
Having seen a puddle under the kettle, first of all you need to find the place where the liquid is leaking from. Then it is necessary to find out what caused the leak. Having clarified the situation in general, you can already understand what to do with a leaky device. to repair yourself at home, to bring it to a service shop or just replace it with a new one.
Leaking from the bottom of the appliance
There are two reasons for water leakage from the bottom of the kettle. The first is equally likely to affect any device, regardless of the material of manufacture. Weak or loose fixing of the heating element to the kettle body can lead to leakage. That is. it is simply depressurized. You can fix a leak by tightening the fasteners with a screwdriver. Then you need to test it, and if the water still leaks, you need to change the gasket, because it is most likely the problem.
How to Repair Electric Kettle Water Leakage at Home
In the second case, water leaks from below in stainless steel kettles. Because of the low-quality material the joint between the body and the bottom gets corroded. Over time, this causes a gap to form where the liquid passes through.
Crack on the case
This is probably the most common cause of leakage. Any impact or drop can provoke a crack on the bulb of the device. Plastic kettles are more susceptible to this trouble. As, however, the glass kettles, although they are made of a particularly durable thermal material. As for new products made of ceramics, the appearance of cracking upon impact is the minimum problem. Usually such products, if dropped, break completely. Metal construction is much more reliable in this case. The body of such a kettle is easier to bend than to make a crack in it.
Leaky water window
This problem mainly concerns low-cost electric kettles. Sometimes the reason is a loose glued water gauge glass. But more often it is a matter of a transparent plastic tube, which acts as a water level indicator. It tends to break at the bends from drying out. To solve this problem, you need to disassemble the kettle. The glass can be sealed and the tube better insulated by cutting off the water supply. After this the device will properly perform its main functions, but without liquid level readings.
What should not be used categorically
There are many ways and means of troubleshooting household appliances. Folk craftsmen often recommend using tape or duct tape for such purposes.
Since these materials are not reliable, there is a risk not only to break the kettle, but also to damage your health.
General rules of taping
You don’t have to guess how to tin the kettle. The technology of such repair has long been known and tested by home craftsmen. The first thing the surface is degreased, use:
The remnants of the solvent are washed off with warm water. Waiting for the surfaces to be bonded to dry. Moisture impairs adhesion. the adhesive (sealant) bonding to the kettle surface. Adhesive is injected into the crack with a syringe.
Every sealant has a characteristic. the curing time. It is specified in the instructions for use, depends on several parameters:
After sealing the crack, the kettle must stand for an appropriate amount of time. When the sealant is completely dry, boil the water. It is not drunk. Pour it into the sink. Repeat this 3 times. Such a procedure eliminates the ingress of harmful substances in the body.
What to seal the plastic electric kettle from leaks
Even the most expensive electric kettle fails over time. But if the device began to leak, do not rush to throw it away. First, find the cause of the breakage. Some of them can be eliminated without the help of a qualified technician. Let’s understand why the electric kettle leaks and how to fix it.
- Why electric kettles start leaking water: popular places of leakage
- How to seal an electric kettle made of plastic
- How to seal kettles made of other materials
- Instructions for fixing leaks from the bottom
If the kettle switches off without boiling water or takes a long time to heat up, it should be thoroughly cleaned from scale inside.
To prevent it from accumulating in large quantities, the kettle is periodically washed with a proprietary. Make sure that it does not damage the plastic casing. Limescale impairs the heat transfer from the heater to the water. In this case the coil overheats and fails quickly.
Important! When purchasing limescale removers, you should read the instructions for use carefully.
A common descaling technique:
- Fill the kettle halfway with water, which should be boiled;
- the plug is unplugged and the recommended descaler is added to the water;
- after the bubbles stop forming, the water is drained off and a new one is filled;
- The water is boiled, then drained and the kettle thoroughly rinsed.
If many deposits have accumulated, the cleaning procedure is repeated.
The strainer must be removed and cleaned of limescale and other dirt. If the deposits are not removed, soak them in a solution of the descaler for a few hours and then rinse the filter with water.