Electric stove doesn’t work? Causes of electric stove breakdown
When the electric stove does not work, you need to make a diagnosis and find out the causes of the breakdown. Minor repairs can be done on your own, but to fix major breakdowns, contact a technician.
If the burners and oven are out of order, you can’t cook food, not even put the kettle on. Therefore, it is important to diagnose immediately to determine the need to repair the electric stove and find out why the indispensable electrical appliance is broken.
Heating element doesn’t work
If, however, burner does not heat, then, except for switches and electric spirals / halogen, could disconnect wires. their contacts are oxidized, and from the constant overheating. the air inside the electric stove can reach 150 degrees. sooner or later will crumble insulation from the wires. Checking the integrity of the terminals and wires, as well as “probing” electrospirals, each with a resistance of up to 100 ohms, can reveal the place of contact failure. Clean the terminals, replace wires where the insulation is broken, repair the connection if the wire is broken.
The cause of breakage of the heating element, which has the form of a pancake, rather than a coil, can be a burst over time, the crack in which you can see the spiral running inside. Such thermocouple is also unlikely to work for a long time.
The best way out is not to leave the “pancake” on after cooking, not to use it purely for heating the room.
If the electric stove hob is constantly in operation, it can have a certain kind of failure. They appear regardless of the manufacturer or the service life of the equipment. The main types of breakdowns include:
- Burning smell when you switch it on. First of all, this can indicate that the burned food has remained on the burners. After they are thoroughly washed and dried, no trace of the unpleasant smell will remain. If it began to smell like burnt plastic or rubber, it is better to immediately call a professional technician to repair household appliances.
- The heating element has stopped heating. This usually indicates that the burner has failed, that is, it is time to replace it with a new. But in some cases the cause of failure are wires, which have poor-quality contact connections. It is therefore necessary to know how to properly ring the burner of the electric stove, and then solder back the wires that have come off.
Important: If you install the equipment yourself, you may not follow all the instructions correctly. Therefore, it is necessary to check all actions and connections strictly according to the diagram in the enclosed instructions.
Types of electric stoves
Despite the great variety, all electric stoves can be divided into groups, guided by such mutually dependent criteria as the type of burners used and the material of which the cooking surface is made.
Modern electric stoves are equipped with different types of burners. The standard number is 4 elements, but in some models can meet and 6 heaters. The exceptions are some budget models, which install 2 burners.
The industry produces the following types of burners:
As a rule, heating elements are covered with cast-iron “pancakes”, but can also be operated without them (Mechta 010H Elna table electric stove and others).). Rapid heaters are used to organize so-called expansion zones on modern cooktops. In electric stoves of the past, nichrome spirals were hidden inside cast-iron “pancakes” or were placed on an open ceramic base (rare electric stoves of table type).
Important! Halogen, ribbon and induction types of heaters can be called burners only conditionally, because their elements are structurally separated, and the cooking plates of electric stoves visually show the zones in which the dishes must be installed.
Cooking surface material
All domestic and foreign electric stoves are made of nichrome spirals:
- Alloy steel, on which strong anticorrosive enamel is applied, which has high resistance to high temperatures;
- stainless steel;
Almost all household electric stoves in addition to cooktops with burners have ovens, which can be:
- Static, t.e equipped with two heating elements (upper and lower), providing uniform heating of food from all sides;
- multifunctional, which use the principle of convection for operation, with uniform distribution of heated air throughout the entire volume of the oven by means of a fan.
Why has the electric stove stopped working
In about half of all cases, the problem lies in the electrical circuit. The device stops responding to controls, the display turns off, the burners do not heat, and the oven does not work. There are a number of causes that can lead to equipment failure:
- faulty socket;
- The heating element burned out;
- terminals disconnected;
- contacts oxidized;
- Fuses or automatic unit knocked out;
- damaged power cord.
Although highly reliable, the electric stove breaks down over time, the components and mechanisms wear out, and it is time to repair the equipment. Repair of electronic components is better to be trusted to professionals, because this requires special tools for diagnostics and tuning of assemblies and mechanisms.
Simple malfunctions occurring during operation of the appliance can be corrected by yourself. Each model is characterized by its own frequently occurring breakdowns.
To learn about the construction, the structure, and the causes of malfunction of different types of stoves, click here.
The following breakdowns are the most common causes of electric stoves:
How To Repair Electric Stove | Hot Plate Repair
- Complete failure of heating elements (heating elements, burners). Occurs after the heating parts have been working at maximum output for a long time, due to wear, inadequate diameter of the capacity in relation to the heating zone.
- Unstable operation of the heating elements (spontaneous switching on, switching off during heating). For a mechanically controlled hob, such problems indicate a broken power switch. For models with touch sensors, they are characterized in case of failure of one of the components of the electronic control unit of the electric stove.
- Electric stove doesn’t turn on completely. Check the mains voltage with a multimeter.
- Burner doesn’t get hot. It is caused by a burned-out coil. To verify this, turn the power switch to the “on” position. If the indicator light comes on, it’s the burner problem.
- Oven refuses to work. Most likely the source of the malfunction is in the internal mechanism of the oven. Measuring mains voltage, observing indicator lights.
- Weakness of the plate or one of the heating elements. Caused by insufficient voltage in the mains or part of the coil burning out. Determined visually.
- The heating element in the oven doesn’t heat up. Failure can be detected tactilely and by the degree of cooking.
Most often malfunctions in electric stoves Darin arise due to factory defect, because of violations of operating rules, natural wear and tear of internal parts. Characteristic breakdowns:
- Oven only works at high temperatures. The reason is in the thermostat or switch (to learn how to repair the electric stove oven yourself, read here).
- Electric stove does not turn on. Stove. Power supply cord is damaged, must be replaced.
- The oven does not heat to the required temperature. The problem is with the upper or lower heating element.
- The burner is not heating. The reason. burnout of the heating element.
- Cracks on the cooking surface due to mechanical impact.
Regardless of the model, the following breakdowns are typical for Veko electric stoves:
- Stove does not turn on. Check the correct connection of the power cord, the integrity of the socket, plug, RCD, functioning burner, tube heater, power switch.
- Oven does not heat up sufficiently. Cause. faulty thermostat or tubular heating element.
- Stove shuts down after the oven is switched on. Most likely there is a short circuit or damage to the contacts of the heating element, it must be replaced.
- The burner doesn’t turn on. The temperature sensor of the burner is out of order or it doesn’t fit tightly to the glass ceramic panel. Inspect the control and power units (see the glass ceramic stove repair manual here).
Main faults in Mechta electric stoves:
- Light bulb of light fitting doesn’t light up, burner doesn’t heat up. Cause. breakage of electric circuit or burner breakage.
- A burner heats up, but the lamps on the control light do not come on. The light fitting has fallen out of use.
- Oven heats unevenly. The electric circuit is broken or one of the heating elements is out of order.
- The fryer is not heating up. Caused by a defective thermostat or a broken electrical circuit.
- Oven light bulb malfunctions when oven is on. Light bulb must be replaced to prevent the breakage from damaging the cartridge.
The most frequent breakdowns of Electrolux electric stove include:
- Oven burners and heating elements are completely out of order. The reason is the prolonged use of the heating elements at maximum power, which caused the heating element to deteriorate.
- Cooking zone malfunctions such as switching off for a short time, the hob can not be switched off, etc. д. In stoves with mechanical power switches, the cause of the malfunction lies in these parts. In electric stoves with touch control. in the elements of the electronic module.
The product doesn’t turn on
Why on the stove lights do not work, no heating plates, no reaction to switching modes? The reason is in the lack of current supply to the product. To localize the faults of the stove, you need to do everything in stages:
- Check the voltage in the socket with a multimeter, if there is no voltage. disconnect the home network, disassemble and repair the detected wire breakage;
- If everything works in the socket. disassemble the plug and do the same test;
- then check the power cord of the stove connection. it is possible that there is an internal wire breakage, and it needs to be replaced;
The second reason could be a burnout heating element burner or FET oven. they can not be repaired, they are just replaced with a new device. There is also a variant: indicators are lit, but there is no heating of burners and heating elements of the oven, why does it happen?? In this case you need to sort it out without rushing. First it is necessary to visually inspect everything: whether all connections are tightened properly, whether there is a loose wire, or whether there is melting of PVC protection, which indicates a burning core. In this case, reconnect by removing the burnt area.
The third, quite common cause. can break the switch, so the burner or oven simply does not turn on.
Important! You should not try to disassemble the switch, then it will be difficult to install all the springs in their original place, this requires skill and great experience. If you determine that this device is to blame. simply replace it, you can buy a similar model in the store without any problems.
Different types of faults
Before we deal separately with situations with different types of malfunctions of the electric stove, here is a list of common typical breakdowns:
- a problem with the thermal fuse (most often it concerns the oven or the oven);
- problem with the heating element in the burner;
- timer problem;
- The problem with the mode switch;
- Problem with a weak contact;
- The problem with the terminal block;
- The problem with the power (voltage).
Solve the problem with the power supply
To check the voltage at various electric points of the stove we will use a special device. multimeter. The first thing to do is to check the socket, then comes the turn of the terminal block, the heating elements and the burner mode switches.
Well, let’s disassemble the socket of the stove and measure the voltage. Let’s assume its readings are normal: two hundred and twenty to two hundred and forty volts. Nevertheless, don’t hurry to assemble and put the socket back. First, stick the plug in the socket and turn on the stove. If the voltage is gone. It is very likely that the problem is with the power line and not with the appliance itself. If our stove is plugged into a standard recessed socket, disconnect the power supply and proceed with two important “procedures”.
Now to pick up quality sockets for electric stoves is not so easy. In the case of finding the socket behind the household appliance, we advise you to install instead the clips U739M. If we are talking specifically about the socket. First of all, look carefully at how the wires are connected to it. Often the contacts are severely deformed. The reason may be that the wires were not inserted into the terminals correctly. Whoever installed the socket, thought that the wires are tightened securely, but in fact this is not the case, because the contacts are deformed. If you are not sure of the quality of the socket, screw small rings on the ends of the wires and only then tighten. In this case, the probability of contact deformation will be low.
Solve the problem with the terminal block
So, let’s move on to the terminal block of the kitchen unit. Terminal blocks can be different, but any of them work on the same principle. often than not, this unit has the ability to change the connection to three, two, or single-phase. For this, there are different types of special jumpers included in the set of terminal blocks. So, first of all, carefully inspect the connection block and try to find the melted contact. If we find it, we need to tighten the screw. Before you start tightening the screw, you need to unplug the stove. Let’s say we are trying to tighten a screw with a melted contact and realize that it is tightened all the way. In this case, you can’t do without taking the stove apart. If the screw turns (i.e. slackness was there), it is likely that after this manipulation the stove will work properly. Nevertheless, the best solution in such a situation is to replace the terminal block.
Each burner is connected to a different phase contact on the terminal block. Therefore, in case of failure of one or two burners, the first thing to do is to check each of the jumpers block, maybe they simply have not been tightened when installing the stove. Another option is that the jumpers are not tightened enough. As you know, insufficient contact tightness leads to heating and melting. If all burners are not working at once, it is unlikely that the terminals are the cause of the problem. Next, we plug in the stove and check the voltage of the terminal block. The most important thing to check is not the wires, but the screws themselves. This way we can see if there is voltage on the terminals themselves, in the variant with incorrectly tightened wires. Let’s assume that the terminals are fully charged, in this case proceed to disassemble the electric stove. Once the unit is disassembled, examine each connection on the back of the terminal.
So, what conclusions can be made, after a thorough check of the power supply of the stove? If the device works partially (for example, part of the burners and oven), you should focus on checking the jumpers, in this case, bothering with the socket is pointless. If the device does not work in principle, first of all check all the contacts in the socket, then (if everything is okay here) in the terminal block. The contact can be missing in a plug or on one of the wire sections.Bad weak contact in the electrical is particularly unpleasant, because when heated, it often disappears, and after some time appears again. So if any function of your electric stove works and doesn’t work alternately, look for bad contacts. This can only be done when the power is on, moving through the circuit in sequence.
What to do if the electric stove does not work
What to do if your electric stove doesn’t work? To answer this question, let’s look at the typical signs of typical electric stove malfunctions:
Oven and burners don’t heat up at all, indicators don’t light up;
Electric Stove not working (Tagalog repair)
One of the burners or the oven does not heat at all, or heats insufficiently;
Heating of the oven or burner does not correspond to the position of the switch;
Obviously, all of these symptoms are symptomatic of a lack of power or a lack of power in a particular electrical circuit on an appliance. But before you start diagnosing the problem, the first thing to do is to unplug the stove, and only then start looking for the defect.
If there is no heat, no light bulbs (neither indicator or oven), no reaction to turning a switch, it means that the oven is not supplied with power from the mains. Check that the power is still “plugged in”.
To do this, first of all check whether the fuse box is not knocked out, whether there is any light at all in the apartment. If everything is in order, it remains to check specifically the socket for the stove and the mains wire of the stove itself, for this you can use a household multimeter.
If the fault appears to be associated with a lack of voltage in the socket stove, you should check the socket itself: whether the contacts are securely connected, no burned wire. If all is well with the socket, but there is no voltage in it, then the supply wiring is faulty, and here you will need a thorough professional repair. If the problem is in the power cord of the stove, replace the power cord.
If lights are illuminated but burner or oven is not heating or heating is poor? This indicates that the coil of the heating element has burned out, or the wire from the burner or the oven’s heating element has accidentally become disconnected, or there is a malfunction in the power switch.
First of all check everything visually, examine the connections, whether everything is tightened, whether there are no burned out wires, if there is a nut that has not been tightened. tighten, tighten, make the connection secure. If there is a burned wire, repair it.
If all is satisfactory on the outside, use a multimeter to test the coil circuits in the burners, in the oven. Check the power switches, and if the problem is in the switch, repair it or replace it with a new one. In case of a breakage in a particular burner (or heating element in the oven) just replace it with a new one, good thing electrical stores always have the most common types of burners, just pick up a suitable new one, in the worst case an authorized service center will always help you.
What to do if the degree of heating does not correspond to the position of the switch? And this again is a sign of either a burned out coil (or part of it), or a faulty switch. Use a multimeter to test the coil, check the switch, and replace it if necessary.
A common problem is no light in the oven. The cause here can be one of two things: a blown bulb or no contact with the wires. No contact. either the wire connections (the wires themselves) need to be repaired or the switch button needs to be replaced. Bulb burned out. replace bulb.
To carry out repair work related to the disassembly of the electric stove requires minimal skills, but if you are not confident in your abilities, or if you consider the independent repair of the stove impractical or unnecessary, then turn to the professionals, to the experts on repair of electric stoves, at the firm service center finally. If you decide to repair the stove yourself, remember about safety!