With the help of the thread changer
Needle threader. such a useful device that will allow the thread to pass through the smallest ear.
Even simple and cheap models have a wire, handle.
There are different types of products, different handle, shape, type. The most advanced models are equipped with a magnifying glass.
Even simple and cheap products have a wire, a handle. Model with a hook functions on the general principle: the hook is inserted into the eye of the needle, thread is put on the hook, the hook with the thread is derived.
- The needle remains in the left hand. The lug on the finger is positioned vertically.
- The needle threader is brought to the ear and inserted into it (strictly perpendicular).
- Right hand should pass the fiber tip into the loop of the needle threader and pull through (not too far and strongly).
- Remove the needle threader. The textile will pull with it as well.
For even greater perfection of threading came up with an automatic thread doffer.
In its hole at the side of the textile is pushed. In the hole goes and ear (forward) parallel to the upper side. If inserted correctly, the eye will be visible.
At the bottom of the device is a button to press (lift). As a result, a hook will come out, on which the fibers are thrown.
After that the button should be lowered. All that’s left to do is pick up the needle ready to sew, if everything went according to plan.
How to replace the device with a thin thread
If you don’t have a thread changer, you can still solve the problem. There is one method, but suitable for those who have a very thin fiber of size 150 or 300.
The 2 ends of the very thin thread should be inserted into the ear, a loop is formed. It is necessary to insert the thicker material.
Now the thin hair must be pulled through until the thick one comes in. Or you can use iron wire, fishing line instead of thin textile material, the effect is the same.
Winding the bobbin
The bobbin is a small spool that feeds the thread from below. This option involves a few simple steps.
- Release the needle. To do this, turn the side screw completely. This is a necessary measure to avoid accidentally catching your hand with the needle when installing the thread.
- Take out the bobbin. To do this, open the plate, which is located directly under the needle, and remove the bobbin from the mechanism. Note that the bobbin must not have any thread wound on it.
- Install the bobbin. There are pins on top of the machine. On the longest, it is necessary to put the bobbin. Set up so that the thread unwinds counterclockwise.
- Pull out the thread. For this step it is necessary to pull it through the tension disk. If the machine has a diagram, you can act according to its instructions.
- Winding. Next, the thread is wrapped around the bobbin in two or three circles.
- Installing the bobbin. Place the bobbin on the short pin on top of the machine and secure it.
- Start winding. This step involves plugging in the machine. Then the thread is held for a few seconds and released for winding. Depending on the configuration of the machine, it is possible to press the foot pedal or a special button. If the inner end of the thread is sticking out, it must be carefully cut off.
- Finish winding. Then the pedal is pressed again until the thread is completely wound. Most often the machines themselves stop winding, but it is better to follow additionally: the thread should be so much that the bobbin could safely fit and turn in the mechanism.
- Removing. At the end of the winding the pin of the fixer is pushed aside, remove the bobbin and cut the thread that connects it to the bobbin.
- Next, the bobbin should be placed in a special metal container for it, and the thread should be tucked under the spring.
Important! Remember that the thread in the hubcap must be taut. You can adjust the tension with a special screw on the cap. But be careful: if you unscrew the screw too much, it can accidentally slip out and get lost.
Next, you need to thread the needle of the sewing machine upper thread.
Incorrect installation of the needle: the cause of failure
Malfunctions are caused by a tool that has been incorrectly installed. These malfunctions, in turn, lead to the inability to continue the sewing process. The main faults. broken needle and skipped stitches.
Causes of machine needle breakage include:
- mismatch between needle number and fabric thickness;
- bending of the tool;
- the needle is not fully inserted in the needle bar;
- The needle bar itself may be warped.
How to insert the needle into the sewing machine
The needle is the object without which the sewing process would not be possible. This applies to both the manual and machine method. But while the first involves holding the needle by hand, in the second it is inserted into one of the machine parts called the “needle holder”. And it is worth saying that without a certain skill it is almost impossible. Some sewing novices can’t even figure out which side to insert the needle into the machine. All because it has a hole for the thread at the bottom, not at the top. But first things first.
How to insert a needle into a sewing machine
Before answering the posed question, let’s understand how the machine needle is designed, and why it is so and not otherwise. Once you understand the purpose of the individual parts of a machine needle, you will never be confused about how to insert the needle correctly into the machine.
How a machine needle is constructed?
Ever since Singer patented its unusual (i.e.е. different from the hand needle) shape, the needle has not undergone any changes, for there is nothing more to add to this ingeniously simple design.
All machines, both old and ultra-modern, use the same needle design:
The eye of the needle flows smoothly into the grooves, of which there are two on the machine needle:
The long groove can very easily be found with the thumbnail. Move your fingernail along the needle and you will definitely feel the groove that runs from the eye along the entire blade.
On the opposite side of the long groove is a short groove. In domestic sewing machine needles, the short groove is always located on the side of the flat cut on the bulb.
How a sewing machine forms a stitch?
The needle pierces the fabric, and the thread coming from the bobbin pulls behind the point and lies in a long groove. The long groove allows the needle and thread to pass through the fabric very easily.
But now the needle has begun to move upward: the thread lying in the long groove comes out unhindered. The thread on the short groove side gets stuck because of friction in the fabric. Therefore, when the needle is completely out of the fabric, a loop is formed at the bottom. The needle grips it to form a stitch.
In the picture from the book of Z.Perlya “Tale of a Machine” role of the shuttle is performed by a mischievous boy)))
So why do we need a long groove??
The thread is hidden in the long groove when the material is pierced. If the thread has nowhere to hide, it will tear!
Conclusion 1: The needle should always face the long groove in the direction from which the thread is threaded:
Here is a picture of the needle of Podolsk 142 machine, Chayka has exactly the same, the long groove is located on the working side. And thread the thread from the working side, t.e from yourself.
Conclusion 2: the thread and the needle must match each other in thickness.
To find the right size needle and thread, take the needle in your hand with the groove facing upward, place the thread in the groove, and run your finger over the surface of the blade. If the thread is sticking out over the groove, it means that the thread is too thick or the needle is too thin for the thread.
How To: Change Needle on Sewing Machine (Sewing for Beginners)
The needle should be thicker, but not so thick that the thread is too loose in the groove. This is also bad, but about that next time
Now that you understand how a machine stitch is made, you will never confuse how to insert the needle into the machine, and why the thread number must match the needle number
How to install a new needle: step by step instructions
Installing the needle is not complicated, if the user read the user manual beforehand. Usually, the specifics of replacing an accessory are presented there. If there are no instructions, you can try to find one online or use the basic installation steps described below:
- If replacing a needle, it is advisable to pay attention to the position of the old needle in the needle holder before removing it.
- Before the process, the electric sewing machine must be unplugged.
- Then, using a screwdriver, unscrew the fixing screw.
- The needle holder must be installed in the extreme upper position. After you have completely unscrewed the screw, remove the old needle and keep it away from children and animals.
- Paying attention to the type of machine a new needle: for industrial needle groove should go to the left, for domestic to the right.
- The needle is in place, holding it by the user, screw the screw holder.
- The screw is tightened so that the needle is securely in place and does not wobble.
So, all you need to install the needle is a screwdriver and a new, straight, whole needle.
Double needles for domestic sewing machines
It is very convenient to use double needles to make neat and even finishing stitches. They make your work easier when sewing finishing stitches, folding stitches, etc.д. Pay attention to the distance between the needles and take this parameter into account when buying them. It must not be wider than the entry hole of the needle plate or the maximum width of the zigzag stitch. Size: 80/12 to 90/14, thickness: 1.8 to 4.0 mm. Double needle 75/11 (for elastic materials) has a width of 4.0 mm.
Purpose and types of sewing machine needles
The presence of a foot in a sewing machine helps to make the work of the seamstress better and more comfortable. This knot will be useful in the case of stitching along the edge of the fabric.
Foot with limiter
Various types of feet are used:
- Walking is designed to allow the fabric to move without the risk of the layers moving relative to each other.
- The foot to work with knitwear takes into account its elasticity and stretch. It allows for skipped stitches and torn threads when working with this material.
- Overlock allows you to work with the edges of the fabric, preventing them from crumbling or pulling.
- If you set the foot, designed to create countersunk stitches, it will create these seams.
- There are such fixtures that are designed to sew a zipper.
- Teflon foot should be set if you need to work with laughter, leather and other heavy materials.
- Snailail” type fixture lets you create a narrow hem along the edge of the fabric.
- There are foot, which purpose is sewing on buttons, clasps or hooks.
- There are special devices that are installed for darning and embroidery.
- Foot “zigzag” allows you to do not only straight but also zigzag stitches.
- There are those whose installation allows you to perform edge trimming with a slash.
You might be interested in How to make a beautiful tapestry handbag for women
This list is not exhaustive of all the varieties available.
How to properly insert the needle into the sewing machine
The first thing to do for a proper installation is to make sure you have the right needle. For domestic machines, it must have a saw cut at the top of the thickened part (bulb). It reduces the possibility of error to a minimum. Don’t forget to also make sure that the groove in the core matches the thread that will be used. This can easily be done by putting it in the groove and seeing if it looks out too much.
WARNING! Be sure to unplug the sewing machine before you begin to change the needle. Be sure to follow the safety rules.
Once you are satisfied that the needle is properly selected and have your screwdriver, you can proceed with the replacement:
- Put the needle holder in the up position.
- Unscrew the fixing screw with a screwdriver.
- Remove the old needle. It is advisable to see how it was installed before.
- Put the new one in its place. In domestic versions of sewing machines the needle is mounted with the groove to the right.
- While holding the part, gently clamp the screw with a screwdriver until it is fully seated in the needle holder.
Done, the change is done, it only took a couple of minutes and a screwdriver. The main thing is not to forget to put the old needle away from children and animals.