How to install the hob
For many reasons, modern housewives increasingly prefer to use cooktops with electric or gas connection. Unlike a traditional kitchen stove, this product is much more convenient in the choice of location and in operation. Such a panel is installed separately from the oven, has the possibility of self-contained connection and takes up little space in the cooking area.
One of the important arguments in favor of the hobs. the possibility of independent installation and connection, mortise into any type of countertop. We will tell you in detail how to install the hob, taking into account all the rules for this kind of work.
What are the hobs
To the surprise of some, these kitchen appliances have almost no disadvantages. They are conditionally divided into categories:
According to the material from which they are made, the panels are divided into:
Note that the panel may also have a different number of burners. On the surface they can be arranged in different ways.
The first step is to choose the most convenient and suitable device for you. And if you make an order for kitchen furniture, then you should think about everything in advance. In particular, it is important to determine the place where the furniture will be installed. In conjunction with the hob you can install an oven.
In advance, you need to think about what will be the connection to the network. To the gas pipe, if you choose a gas hob. And to the electric network, if you choose an electric device.
IMPORTANT! In order to mount an electrical network, it is imperative to provide the appropriate cross-section of the supply cable and power outlet. It is necessary to take into account the current consumption of the panel and the possible oven. These are listed in the instruction manual.
Also remember to earth or ground the metal parts of the electrical appliance. If the preparations are complete, then proceed to work.
How to properly install a gas cooktop with your own hands: a step-by-step guide
Installation of the gas cooktop includes the following steps:
- The marking of the countertop and sawing the hole;
- Sealing the kerf and fixing the table top;
- preparing the panel for installation;
- Connection to the gas mains;
- installation and mounting of the hob;
- Checking the tightness and performance.
Let’s consider each of these stages in detail.
Marking the worktop and sawing the hole
Before installation, study the instruction manual for the device. It specifies the kerf size and describes the marking process. It is made in two ways. To form an outline, the hob is placed on the countertop and circled.
Or use a more accurate and reliable method, calculating and marking the place of attachment:
- On the tabletop, they mark the boundaries of the internal space of the cabinet in which they plan to install the appliance.
- Then find the center of the hole in which the panel will be installed. To do this, draw diagonal lines from the corners of the surface.
- Through the center (crossing of two diagonals) draw a line parallel and perpendicular to the edge of the table top. The dimensions of the equipment are marked on them.
- Draw straight lines along the marks. Thus, a rectangle is obtained, which is equal to the size of the built-in device. They trace it with a marker, and erase unnecessary marks.
Then the holes are cut out. For that drill in the corners of the marks drill holes that are wider than the cutting blade. Insert the jigsaw into them and make a cut from corner to corner. To avoid chipping, the edges are covered with masking tape. And so that the kerf does not fall and break the countertop, it is secured with clamps.
Tip. After sawing, check that the hob fits well into the hole.
Seal the kerf and fix the worktop
To prevent the edges of the countertop from crumbling, they are sanded, cleaned of dust and treated with an adhesive composition. Sanitary silicone, which protects the edges from moisture, is suitable for the chipboard. It is applied with a spatula. To prevent exposure to high temperatures, use thermofoil or a reflector made of aluminum tape. Then the worktop is fastened to the kitchen drawer.
Preparing the worktop for installation
Then the worktop is prepared for installation. Insert the nozzles into the technological holes. The scheme of their installation is specified in the technical documentation and glued on the bottom of the appliances. Fix the sanitary escutcheon with sealing gasket.
Connection to the gas mains
Connection of the panel to the gas mains is performed in two steps. First connect the hose to the gas pipe. Connect the flexible (bellows) hose through a sanitary fitting or connector. On the threads of the bell junction wrap the tape in a clockwise direction. Then it is smeared with gas paste to seal the connection. A sealing ring is inserted into the hose nut. The parts are connected first by hand, then tighten with a gas wrench.
In the second step, the hose is connected to the sanitary corner fixed to the panel. It is pre-passed through the hole in the countertop. When attaching, also use linen wrap and paste.
To connect the hob and the oven at the same time use two connections. The use of a tee in this case is not welcomed by representatives of the gas service. They insist on a gas pipe connection. This reduces the number of threaded connections, while increasing tightness and safety. Cutoff valves are installed on both outlets, separately for the oven and separately for the hob. If a tee fitting is used, one common tap is retained.
Reference. All actions related to the gas equipment, it is required to coordinate with the gas service. This will avoid fines and alterations.
Installing and fixing the hob
To the panel attached mounting strips, going to the kit, and perform the installation:
- the kerf is put through with the sealant from the kit;
- insert the hob and align it;
- Tighten the fasteners at the bottom, hooking them onto the worktop;
- Use a knife to cut off the excessive, protruding sealant.
After that, check the reliability of fixing and proceed to the start-up work.
Checking for leaks and function
First check the tightness of the connections. They are covered with soapy water, gassed up and monitored. If the solution does not bubble up, it means there are no leaks.
How to Install a Butcher Block Countertop | Ask This Old House
The gas service employee should check the connection for leaks. He will make an opinion and make a note in the gas book. It will indicate the date of installation of the new stove, the brand and serial number. It is not recommended to use the stove until it arrives.
After checking the tightness of the connection, proceed to alternating the burners.
Help. For about a minute, air will escape from the burners of the new appliance, then the gas will flow.
Use matches (not a lighter) or special piezoelectric devices for ignition. The combustion must be even, without pauses and flashes. The color of the flame is bluish-purple, without yellow and red flashes, height. no more than 2.5 cm.
After the inspection, install the rack for dishes and start using the device. If the technique is equipped with an electric ignition, it is connected to the mains.
Built in Hob vs Cooktop Basics | Countertop Hob vs Built in Hob| Interior iosis by nihara.
Wiring method: socket or wiring block
There are two options for connecting the electric cooktop to the power supply:
Both variants have the right to exist. Tip is simple, if the panel comes with a plug, then put the socket. Standard socket contacts for the stove can withstand 32 amps, and nothing will happen to them if you do not turn it off when the load is on (stove on).
Connection via terminal block is more reliable, although not convenient when repairing the panel or replacing it.
How to install a cooktop
The wikiHow works like a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by multiple authors. Volunteer authors worked on editing and improving this article.
Number of views on this article: 15 229.
The idea of installing a cooktop yourself can be somewhat intimidating. After all, you will have to deal either with electricity or gas and work with quite expensive kitchen equipment. Nevertheless, none of the steps for installing a cooktop are particularly complicated. You just need to do everything carefully and in the right order from start to finish.
- You should know for sure that the power supply to the cooktop is off. You can use a tester to check by probing all the wires. If the tester light comes on, there is still electricity.
- Be sure to remember how the wires of the old cooktop were connected, because the new cooktop will be connected in the same way. You can sign the wires and take pictures of them before you disconnect them so that you can remember them more easily later.
- Enlist the help of someone to remove the cooktop from its socket, as it will be quite heavy.  X
- If you don’t have a junction box, you’ll need to get a professional to install it.
- You should also check that the old cooktop has the same amperage requirements as the new one, otherwise you may need the work of a professional to connect it. Many older cooktops only have a 30-amp electrical circuit, while newer ones often go 40-50 amp.  X Source of information
- Measure the length and width of the hob and subtract 1.5 to 2.5 cm on each side to determine the dimensions of the opening for the hob.  X Source of information
- You may need to remove the tile from the countertop (if it is tiled) around the work area before you start sawing the hole.
- To cut through a granite countertop, you will need a circular saw with a water supply. Alternatively, you can hire a professional to do the job as granite is quite difficult to saw accurately. Also, after sawing the hole, the stone should be treated with sealant before placing the cooktop in the hole.  X
Remove any removable parts from the hob so that you can put it back in place more easily. The cooktop may have removable burners, shields and other parts that should be temporarily set aside. You also need to remember to remove any packaging material from the hob.
- If you had to remove the tiles, you will need to re-lay the tiles flush with the hob surface before installing the latter in place. You have to wait up to 24 hours for the mortar to cure before putting the cooktop in place.  X
- The red and black wires (colors may vary) of the cooktop should power it. Connect these wires to the corresponding phase wires in the junction box.
- The white wire is neutral and is used to short the circuit. The neutral wire of the cooktop should be connected to the neutral wire in the junction box.
- Usually the green wire is for grounding. Connect the ground wire of the hob to the ground in the junction box.
- Connect the wires to each other using insulating caps to twist the wires. Align the pair of wires to be connected and twist the stripped ends together. Place a cap on the twisted wires. An insulating cap will protect them from coming into contact with other wires and potentially protect you from causing a fire.  X Source of information
Reinstall the previously removed removable parts on the cooktop. Replace burners, shields, and other removable parts.
Before purchasing the panel, you need to know the width of the countertop. The dimensions of most panels are standard and do not go beyond 55-57 cm. In the documentation for the panel, not only should the dimensions of the panel be shown, but also the size of the hole in the countertop to install the panel.
To begin the work, you must purchase:
- Gas cooktop;
- Silicone sanitary sealant;
- Painting tape;
- Gas connection hose;
- Gas wrap (linen or FUM tape);
- Multipak gas paste (for linseed lining).
Installing both the hob and the oven begins with preparing the site.
Installing the hob
Preparing the place for the installation of the panel is to treat the ends of the planting hole. Treat the ends with a special sealant that comes with the hob. If it is not available, the cuts are treated with silicone. This will prevent the formation of fungus and the growth of mould.
After the sealant has dried, install the appliance. The panel is carefully inserted into the prepared niche. The final step is fixing the hob to the worktop. Special clips are used to secure the position of the hob on the inside. The clips prevent the surface from moving in the opening.
After installation, connect the hob to the mains as shown in the wiring diagram on the rear of the product.
Installing the oven
The oven is installed in a recess below the hob. During installation, use a level to check the level of the surface on which the appliance is located. This maximizes the efficiency of the device.
After installation is complete, measure the distance from the bottom of the oven to the floor. it must be at least 8 cm. The same distance is set between the wall and the back of the device.
After installation, plug in the oven and check that it is working.
The kitchen hob to be built in can be integrated seamlessly with the oven (the latter takes up space strictly under the panel) or arranged separately, independent of the oven (the controls belong to it personally, and are not combined with the oven). Depends on what type you have to deal with, directly depend on the possibilities of location. devices combined models, with few exceptions, have a single power source, plus on top of that, they are connected by a network of wires. Install the oven as the main carrier of control elements (level the appliance using a spirit level) first.
Stand-alone cooktops, which actively presses the built-in sets, usually fit into or cut into the countertop.
The minimum thickness of the worktop for installing the hob is 38 millimeters. The material must be able to drain moisture well and withstand a rise in temperature to at least 100 degrees.
If the appliance supports automatic ignition, there should be an outlet next to it. The installation rules forbid placing any stove close to the sink so that water drops do not end up on the hot surface. Close proximity to the refrigerator. also an unspoken taboo: the walls of the unit will be exposed to thermal attacks time and again.
Step-by-step instructions for installation
For the installation of electrical recessed appliances will require an electrical outlet 220 V. It is desirable to make its installation in advance and choose the most suitable location before installing the set. The electrical outlet must be located below the built-in appliances. Compliance with this rule prevents splashes of water and grease from getting on it during cooking.
You will need a set of tools to make the holes in the cabinet and countertop to fit into the new furniture set:
- a construction knife;
- tape measure;
- a set of screwdrivers;
- gas wrench;
- device for measuring the voltage in the electrical network.
Included in the set are the fasteners, they are attached according to the instructions. The attachment to the worktop is carried out after preparing the holes. Fixing the hob is made in the following sequence:
- Laying the gasket.
- Install the hob, it should rest on the countertop.
- Tighten the fastening strips at the bottom.
- Use a knife to cut off the protruding parts of the sealing material.
Preparing the panel for installation
Before installing the hob, unpack it and check that all the fasteners are in place. The electric panel can be plugged in to check its performance.
Mark the worktop and cut the hole
On the worktop you must cut an opening according to the dimensions of the recessed device. detailed instructions are provided by the manufacturer. It is recommended to make a layout out of cardboard, if it is not included in the kit.
- Layout is placed on the table surface and outlined with a pencil. 1 to 2 mm between the boarding part and the edge of the table is the gap that must be respected.
- For a thorough marking you need to prepare a pencil and a ruler. If the table top is made of pressed sawdust and the top layer is decorated with artificial stone, an opening closer than 5 cm to the edges is not recommended to cut into the table top. Otherwise the thin areas will rapidly deteriorate.
- Using a drill, drill a hole in the corners of the marked area. A 8-10 mm drill bit will work. Keep the tool perpendicular to the surface during work.
- It is recommended that the electric jigsaw is fitted with a jigsaw head suitable for wood. The fine toothing produces a splinter-free cut. The tool blade is inserted into the prepared hole and sawed along the line of the marking. The jigsaw must be pressed firmly against the surface.
- Then the built-in appliance is tried on. It should enter the prepared hole without difficulty, a small gap is allowed. If the hole is not big enough, the edges are trimmed to the right size.
- The ends of the hole must be protected from exposure to moisture. That is why the walls of the kerf must be lubricated with sealant before starting work. To further protect the oven, it is advisable to attach reflective tape or foil to the sides. After installing the sealant included in the set.
To attach the hob to the countertop, it is carefully inserted into the prepared hole, and the joint is lubricated with silicone sealant. Pressing lightly on the surface, the built-in equipment is set until the edges touch the table surface.
Press the surface carefully during installation, particularly if it is made of glass. Pay particular attention to the flatness of the worktop. Otherwise, if you put heavy objects on the surface, cracks will form.
The final step of installation work. fixing the panel with special complete clips. Clamps are fastened in the lower part, thus securing the hob. Sealant that has come out should be removed. If you intend to install an oven nearby, you must install a thermal insulating layer between the appliances. There should be at least ten centimeters of clearance between them.
Connecting the hob
Devices can be gas and electric, so there are different ways to install them.
Connecting the gas Hob
Before installing the furniture, connect the flexible hose to the gas pipe. It is not recommended to connect the bellows hose directly to the gas valve. The connection is made using sanitary fittings or connectors.
- Before connecting the gas hose, wind a thread made of twisted linen around the thread of the gas sampling hose. Wrap in clockwise direction.
- After the winding is performed, the linen thread is lubricated with a special paste for gas equipment.
- Next, the nut of the flexible gas supply is screwed, it should be tightened with a gas wrench. The element is screwed in until it stops, but without excessive force. A sealing gasket is inserted inside.