Connecting a room thermostat to the gas boiler
- 11.1. With or without wire
- 11.2. Accuracy of temperature setting
- 11.3. Possibility of setting the hysteresis value
- 11.4. Programmer function
- 11.5. Availability of Wi-Fi or combustibles module
- 11.6. Safety systems
- 14.1. Connecting a mechanical thermostat
- 14.2. Mounting the electronic thermostat
- 14.3. Wireless thermostat connection
No special tools are required to install the thermostat to the gas boiler. Everything you need to install the device in the heating system is included in the delivery kit.
To install the thermostat you will need a data sheet of the thermostat and heating boiler to compare the electrical wiring diagrams, a household screwdriver, a tester to check the voltage in the network, a set of tools for mounting the device on the wall in the living room.
What is a room thermostat and why do I need one for my gas boiler
The thermostat is a device that maintains the temperature at a predetermined, predetermined level.
It is used in many technical and technological installations, where it is necessary to maintain certain parameters of the environment.
Thermostats are mainly used in heating systems, combustion engines, heating systems and other devices.
The thermostat for gas boilers is a handy and useful addition. When it reaches the desired temperature in the room, it switches off the heating of the coolant, and when it drops. it starts the process again.
The specifics of the device is to control the temperature of the internal atmosphere in the room (some models also determine the ambient temperature, making additional adjustments to the mode of operation when it changes).
Proprietary sensors installed in the boilers, control only the temperature of the HVAC. Often there are situations when the coolant is heated to the desired value, but the room is cool because of the often open doors, windows, etc.п.
In order to create a comfortable temperature, you often have to change the mode of operation of the boiler, distracting you from your business. Using the thermostat relieves the owner of this concern, the temperature correction is done automatically.
The thermostat saves about 25-30% of the cost of heating, which is very attractive to any owner.
The principle of operation of the gas boiler thermostat
Relatively simple principle of operation of the room thermostat for a gas boiler, is efficient and economical. Gas boiler automation uses indirect control of heating in the room.
There is a thermo-mechanical sensor inside the heater, with a metal insert that reacts to heating. When the coolant reaches the set temperature of heating, the thermostat needle-stem expands and closes the gas supply valve. After the fluid flowing through the boiler circuit cools down, the insert returns to its original size. The gas valve opens again, the burner turns on.
The work of the gas boiler when using a room thermostat, has a similar principle and some significant differences:
Heat-sensitive element is not installed in the boiler, but in the block of remote thermostat. In the premium models, this function is performed by an electronic microsensor.
Not all gas heating boilers are produced with the possibility of connecting a room thermostat. In some models, it will be necessary to completely replace the automatics and the gas valve.
Advantages of automatics
Automatics for boiler equipment. the choice of people who need an energy-efficient heating system. Installation of the cheapest programmer will provide savings of at least 15%.
In addition to this, the automation has many other advantages:
- Solving the problem of the heater clocking. unreasonably frequent switching on and off.
- Setting the exact temperature mode by time. optimal/economical.
- Easy to install and configure.
- Facilitation of boiler operation.
- Increase of the system reliability.
- Possibility to adjust fine settings.
Here are only the most obvious advantages of automatics. Their practical advantages can be learned only during operation. The only thing that can not be avoided is to save on the installation of the thermostat is inexpedient. This simple, inexpensive equipment will save a lot on heating costs. Such saving is very important in cold regions of Russia.
Temperature controllers for gas and solid fuel boilers
By installing the automatic thermo regulator, the user hopes to save energy resources used for heating the apartment or private house. However, the purchase and installation of the device sometimes gives the opposite result. the consumption of gas or electricity increases. Therefore, we offer to explain a number of points: how does the room thermostat for the gas boiler, varieties of temperature regulators, how to connect and adjust correctly.
Briefly about the principle of operation
For better understanding of the principle of operation of thermoregulators let us first explain the algorithm of water heater in the basic configuration:
- The user fires up the boiler and sets the desired fluid temperature using the buttons or control knobs.
- Each unit is equipped with an immersion or surface sensor that informs the control unit on the degree of water heating. When the fluid temperature reaches a pre-set threshold the gas valve is triggered and cuts off the fuel supply to the main burner. Circulation pump continues to “pump” water through the system.
- After the cool-down of the coolant to the lower temperature limit, the gas supply is resumed, the burner is fired up again and heats the water.
Reference. In turbo wood boilers the automatic system switches off the blower. Air flow into the furnace stops and the unit switches to the smoldering mode.
Without an external thermostat, the heater “doesn’t see” the temperature of the air in the rooms and stupidly heats water to a specified limit. Result: in the transitional period of autumn-spring, there is the so-called tacto. frequent start / stop the burner (once every 3-5 minutes), reducing the resource of the unit as a whole.
Now for the main points. Remote thermostat extends the intervals between on / off the gas boiler, because it is oriented to the temperature of the air, which cools down more slowly. The device is connected in the gap between the power supply circuit of the gas valve (on TT boilers. the turbine) and the built-in pump.
Installation of the automatic thermo regulator allows to kill three birds with one stone:
Important note. The above points apply not only to gas heaters. With the thermostat commutes any heat generator equipped with electronic or electrical control unit. solid fuel, diesel, electric boiler, etc.
When the room has reached the set temperature, the thermostat interrupts the circuit, the burner and the integrated heat pump stop. The unit starts after the air cools down by 1-2 degrees, which increases the downtime between shutdown and ignition to 15-20 minutes.
- When using a room regulator, the normal start/stop function via the boiler water jacket temperature continues to operate. When the coolant in the boiler is heated to the set limit, the gas burner unit will shut off.
- If the burner is extinguished by the internal temperature sensor, the normal circulation pump continues to operate. When the remote thermostat is triggered, both devices. the burner and the pumping unit. are stopped.
This is why it is important to correctly set the combination boiler. external thermostat.
Types of room regulators
For automatic control of the boiler combustion by room air temperature, 2 types of thermostats are used:
- Mechanical. Breaking and closing of the circuit is made by a bimetallic plate, bending from heat. By changing the desired temperature, the user turns a knob to increase or decrease the gap between the plate and the second contact.
- Electronic (digital). Here the thermistor, which changes its resistance depending on the temperature, plays the role of a temperature-sensitive element. A circuit including this part closes relay contacts according to resistance changes and user settings.
Improve your central heating performance fit a digital room stat
Reference. Mechanical and electronic temperature sensors are not only used for boilers. Thermostats are successfully used in other parts of the heating system, for example, to turn off the circulation pump of a separate radiator branch or for zone control of underfloor heating.
The mechanical device is connected to the heat generator through a cable. Most electronic models have a wireless connection. According to reviews, radio-controlled thermostats are becoming very popular because they are easy to install and operate. How the wireless thermostat of the boiler works:
- The apparatus consists of two blocks, equipped with radio modules.
- The first unit, which switches the executive relay, is placed directly next to the heater and is connected to the desired socket. Power supply. from 220 volt household electrical network.
- The second unit with the display and control buttons is battery-powered and is installed in a convenient place in the house.
- The temperature sensor placed inside the remote control reacts to the temperature of the air environment. At the right moment the radio module sends a signal to the first block to start / stop the boiler. It opens relay contacts, heating and circulation of the coolant stops or resumes.
Typically, electronic models are equipped with programs that allow you to set the schedule of the boiler for the week. The room temperature can be changed several times during the day. Some units are programmed for 90 days and can be controlled by cell phone, for example via SMS or web-based smartphone app.
Diagrams for connecting the thermostat to the gas boiler
Every owner of a gas boiler wants his device to consume less fuel. This can be achieved by connecting a thermostat to the gas boiler. This device can automatically regulate the temperature in the room and turn on only when the air begins to cool. In this article, a master plumber will tell you how the principles of connecting a thermostat to a gas boiler.
The benefits of using a thermostat in heating
Gas heating is already a boon in itself and significantly increases the quality of life. But simplifying the management of gas heating equipment is no less important issue.Setting and controlling the operation of the gas boiler can be done in two ways. manually or by using a thermostat, which will automatically provide a stable temperature regime.Manual adjustment helps to set a certain temperature of the coolant in the system. when the temperature rises to the specified values, the boiler turns off, when the temperature decreases. it turns on. As a result, the temperature in the house is maintained at a certain level.But as the temperature changes in the street, the set mode is incorrect and you have to manually reprogram the heating device. Such manipulations are carried out throughout the heating season, and it is inconvenient.In addition, the manual control means operation of the gas boiler in a constant on-off mode, with a cycle time of about 10 minutes. This does not affect the duration of operation of the boiler in the best way.
Also in a system with manual control, regardless of the operation of the heating function, the coolant circulates constantly with the help of pumping equipment, and therefore consumes extra electricity.Automatic regulation, in contrast to the manual control, turns off the circulation pump. By responding to the temperature of the room air, not the heating fluid in the heating circuit, the thermostat for the heating boiler maintains a stable room temperature.As a result, the microclimate in the house is significantly improved, the frequency of turning on the boiler is reduced, and therefore increases its service life.Using a thermostat also provides other benefits:
- The device sets the optimal/economical temperature mode depending on the time of day;
- Solves the problem of the gas boiler switching on and off frequently;
- Energy savings when using an automatic thermostat is up to 30%, but even the cheapest programmer provides savings of at least 15%;
- Facilitates operation and increases the reliability of the heating system.
These are just some of the obvious benefits common to all types of thermostats. Advantages of individual models can be studied in more detail directly before purchase.Types of thermostats for gas boilers
Thermostats can be divided into three main types: mechanical, electronic and electronic wireless.
Note! Wired models cost less, but require wiring. installation of the thermostat on the gas boiler is better to carry out before or during the repair work in the house. Wireless models are more expensive, functional, and convenient
The choice of thermostat to connect to the gas heating system is carried out with the following main criteria:
- Simple thermostats. help maintain a set temperature in the home;
- Wireless thermostats. have a transmitter unit that is placed in another room for more precise temperature control;
- Programmable. allows you to set a stable temperature mode separately for day and night, program the work of the heating system for the days of the week, which significantly reduces fuel consumption;
- With hydrostat function. help control the humidity level in the room, reducing or increasing it according to the settings;
- With an additional floor sensor. the model is used, among other things, to regulate the temperature of the coolant in the system “warm floor”;
- With an additional water heating sensor. the device is used to regulate the temperature mode of hot water, and to control the heating system.
Thermostat for the heating boiler (temperature regulator)
Efficient heating control is a vital part of an efficient boiler and home heating system. Competent use of controls reduce the energy consumption of the unit, while creating a comfortable temperature in every room of the house, avoiding overheating the premises. A thermostat (or programmer) controls the boiler depending on the temperature in the room.
Up to 20% of energy consumption can be saved with this type of automation. And energy are high enough and the desire of every normal person to reduce their costs.
Consider the situation when the boiler is calculated correctly, the necessary insulation of the premises is done, and the heating system is functioning normally.
Basic types of boilers and temperature regulation
There are several types of boilers: solid fuel, gas, electric and liquid fuel.
The boilers are widespread all over the world. There are domestic models, there are imported boilers. Made of steel or cast iron. Easy to operate, economical, with the function of regulating the temperature of the coolant. In cheaper models, this function is realized with a special device. a thermocouple.
Structurally, the thermocouple is a metal product, the geometric dimensions of which under the influence of temperature decreases or increases (depending on the degree of heating). And this, in turn, changes the position of a special lever that closes and opens the draught flap. The picture shows a sample of such a regulator:
The more the door is open, the stronger the burning process is, and vice versa. Thus, the volume of air that enters the combustion chamber of the closed type is fully controlled by the thermostat, and if necessary, its supply is stopped and the combustion process is damped. In more modern models installed controllers, which, depending on the specified thermal modes control air flow, including (or switching off) a special fan (see photo below):
Boiler with temperature controller
Gas boilers. the most common and cheapest in operation units. Boilers can be single-circuit or double-circuit. Single-circuit boilers have one heat exchanger and are designed only for heating. The connection diagram is shown in the figure below:
Switching diagram of a single-circuit boiler
Two-circuit boilers have two heat exchangers and are designed for heating and hot water. Scheme of switching the boiler is shown below:
Circuit diagram of a two-circuit boiler
Some boilers have separate regulators for heating and hot water temperature.
Fairly common alternative to gas and solid fuel boilers. A lot of advantages, high efficiency, but a long payback period. Connection is simple, as with gas boilers, but without a cold water supply. Provides temperature control and overheating protection.
Mechanical boiler timer
With a simple mechanical electric boiler timer, there are three options for starting a central heating system:
Mechanical timers usually have a large round dial with a 24-hour scale in the center. By turning the dial, you can set the desired time, and then leave it in that position. Boiler will turn on at the right time. The exterior consists of a set of 15-minute period tabs that are inserted for easy adjustment of operation and mode settings. Emergency resetting possible, which is performed with the boiler switched on.
Mechanical timers are easy to set, but the boiler always turns on and off at the same time every day, and this may not satisfy the owners, if the family is large, and bathing procedures are carried out several times a day at different times.
Types of thermostats
According to the type of functions they can be divided into several groups:
Temperature controller with one function
Programmable temperature controller
The thermostats are divided into types: wireless and with wires for communication with the boiler. Install thermostats in a convenient location, connect the temperature sensor, connect to the boiler control system and use.
Room thermostats require a constant air flow for normal and proper operation, so they should not be covered with curtains or blocked by furniture. Devices adjacent to the electric thermostat can interfere with the correct operation of the device: lights, televisions, radiators, located nearby.
A programmable room thermostat
Programmable electronic room thermostat allows you to choose the desired and comfortable temperature at any time, it is easy to reconfigure and change the mode of operation. Time timer allows you to set a different pattern for heating on weekdays and weekends. Some timers allow you to set different parameters for each day of the week, it may be useful for people who work part time or in shifts. Many Terneo and KCM models are equipped with such thermostats.
How to make a thermostat with their own hands
The operation of a gas or electric boiler can be optimized by using an external control unit. Commercially available remote thermostats are designed for this purpose. Understand what kind of devices and understand their varieties will help this article. It will also be considered how to build a thermostat with their own hands.
Any electric or gas boiler is equipped with a set of automatics that monitor the heating medium at the outlet of the unit and turn off the main burner when the set temperature is reached. Solid fuel boilers are also equipped with such means. They allow you to maintain the water temperature within certain limits, but no more than that.
In this case, the climatic conditions in the rooms or outdoors are not taken into account. This is not very convenient, the homeowner has to constantly find the right mode of the boiler by yourself. The weather may change during the day, then the rooms become hot or cold. It would be much more convenient if the boiler was oriented on the air temperature in the premises.
To control the operation of the boiler depending on the actual temperature, various thermostats are used for heating. Being connected to the boiler electronics, such a relay switches off and starts the heating, maintaining the desired temperature of the air, but not the coolant.
for thermostats for gas boilers Baksi
Now knowing the basic features of both options, to pick up a device is not particularly difficult. Note that we recommend choosing high-quality models of Japanese and European brands. Their main advantage of reliability, efficiency and durability of use. If we consider cheap models of Chinese production, the only advantage is the affordability.
In order for the device to work as stably as possible, it is important to perform the installation with the following requirements:
- Height from the floor surface. from 1,5 to 1,7 meter;
- There must be no radiators or any other equipment that can give off heat into the room within one meter of the device;
- Exclude the presence of a draught;
- The sensor should be installed only in a heated room.
It is recommended for facilities where the system is used floor heating to purchase models of thermostats, whose design provides an additional thermostat. It is installed closer to the floor surface to measure the temperature in the lowest point of the room.
After installing the unit, run the cable from the thermostat to the heat source, either open or closed. Connect the thermostat to the heater as follows:
- Connect one end of the wire marked NO (normally open) and COM (common) to the thermostat. In wireless versions, these terminals are located in the relay box;
- In the enclosed instructions to find the connection diagram of the device, as well as the marking and location of contacts;
- Remove the front panel from the gas boiler, which will open access to the connectors and control board;
- Remove the jumper between the terminals indicated in the data sheet. It is important to keep the removed part as you may still need it in the future;
- Wires are connected to the freed terminals, we note, when making the connection polarity is not required to observe.
If your appliance does not have the specified marking, looking for letters or numbers, the necessary terminals for connection can be determined using a tester (it is important to open the circuit between the two terminals). All three contacts are provided, viz: COM, steam and NC.
That’s all, if you do everything correctly, you can count on the fact that in the future, the heating boiler will operate with high efficiency, which will significantly reduce the cost of paying for gas in the heating season.
NEST LEARNING THERMOSTAT INSTALLATION. How To Wire