Can I iron my clothes with a hair dryer? How to quickly iron things without ironing with improvised means
Almost every closet needs ironing. Crumpled shirt or dress look far from aesthetically pleasing. And it’s no big deal to just turn the iron on and iron the garment. And if the iron is broken or simply isn’t around? Don’t panic. You can iron your clothes without an iron.
How to Iron a T-shirt
Everyone knows that the iron smoothes things with heat, steam and water. Alternative ways are based on the same principles of ironing.
Ironing by steam
Hold the iron over the steam to iron the garment without ironing. If the garment is large, such as a blouse or shirt, hang it on hangers over the tub with hot water.
A handy way to iron your clothes. Place it on a hanger over the bathtub
The steam from the water will smooth out the creases while the water cools. If you are not satisfied with the result, repeat the procedure. Dry the garment after ironing it this way.
If you need to remove creases and creases on a small thing or piece of clothing, such as a tie or collar, the steam from the boiling kettle will be enough. Hold the garment over the kettle spout and dry it flat.
The hot steam will straighten creases in your clothes
Be careful and cautious! You can easily burn yourself with hot steam, especially if the thing you are drying is small.
You can substitute another hot object, such as a metal mug, for the iron. Pour boiling water into it, and when it is well heated. Use instead of an iron. A mug can be very handy because it has a handle. You can use a pan or saucepan with handles. Boiling water directly in the pot prevents it from getting too hot.
Make sure the iron you use is clean. Otherwise it will leave stains on the fabric.
Sometimes you can use a hair curler or “iron” to carefully smooth out the arrows on your pants, the collar or hem of your clothes. Heat the “iron” to maximum temperature and check on an inconspicuous area of the garment, if it will not damage the fabric. If it’s good. Use hot pliers to grab an arrow on a pant and press it all the way in without opening it.
Hairpuller. An alternative to a hot iron
There is a method of ironing with a hot lamp online. Put it among the hazards to both your hands and clothes. The point is that the bulb heats up several times faster when in contact with the fabric, and this can cause a fire.
Ironing with a lamp can easily burn or damage the garment
Water or a smoothing solution
Wet fabrics take any shape, so moisture helps to get rid of creases on things. There are several ways to iron an item with moisture:
The longest method. put the cloth under the press. The creases will be smoothed out by external pressure. A regular mattress you sleep on can be the press. Place the garment under the mattress overnight so that all the creases are smoothed out. The mattress must not move during your sleep.
A mattress can be used as a wringer to smooth things out
What a washing machine can do for you
The washing machine could at least make the process easier, if not iron the clothes. Some models have an easy ironing function. If it is turned on, the machine spins things gently and if they are dried flat, there may be no need to iron them.
There are also machines with “no creases” mode. The automatic spin and dry cycle operates at maximum spin speed. This allows you to straighten things out. But this mode should not be used often. The clothes will wear out quickly.
If your washing machine has a “Drying” mode, try the following: Put three ice cubes in the drum before you send the garment to be dried. The steam from the melting ice will smooth out dry clothes.
Some modern washing machines have special modes to help smooth out laundry
Using a hair dryer
Put the garment to be ironed on a flat surface and blow it off with a hair dryer, keeping it a few centimeters away from the fabric. For best results, spray hot air on both sides of the garment and make the wrinkles disappear by magic. You may want to moisten the garment slightly beforehand. This will help soften them and smooth out the most difficult creases.
This method is especially good for those who travel. Hang the clothes rack in the bathroom, turn on the shower with as hot water as possible, and close the door to create a sauna effect. After 10 minutes, check how smooth the garment is. If the creases are still present, leave the garment on for at least 10 minutes more.
Of course this is not the most economical and eco-friendly way, so it’s better to use it only as a last resort.
Adjust the mode and temperature on the iron
When you iron, you need to set the steam level and temperature right. Knowing the recommendations on the product label is a must. They are usually accompanied by conditional images in the form of iron, may contain a description.
An average steam and temperature of 110 to 140°C is recommended for cotton shirts with an admixture of synthetics, whereas a high steam and temperature of 150°C would be suitable for 100% cotton shirts.
Features of ironing a blouse of different fabrics
Blouses are made from a multitude of materials. from the finest chiffon to the densest cotton. Each fabric has its own nuances that need to be taken into account when caring for the garment.
Flax is very crumple and should not be wrung out. Gently hand-wring the linen, shake it, smooth it out with your hands and folds. Dry your shirt in the fresh air without letting it dry out.
Iron on linen when it is slightly damp, or you can spray it with a spray gun. Set the iron to 200°C and steam it. Iron the product on both sides. Linen fabric becomes softer and feels nicer to the touch after ironing or washing a few times.
Cotton is natural and comfortable to wear. But it’s not easy to tidy up a cotton shirt. it takes a long time to dry and wrinkles easily.
To iron well, remove a blouse while still damp and put the iron on the hottest setting. Iron an un-decorated item from the front, an embroidered item from the back.
Spray dried out fabric with a spray gun and iron over a damp cloth or use the steam mode.
Chiffon is a delicate, flimsy fabric and cannot withstand high temperatures or rough treatment. After washing, the blouse should not be wrung out and curled. Hang on the coat hanger, spread out carefully and dry until slightly damp.
Do not use a steamer or a spray gun when ironing chiffon. Moisten the blouse through a wet cloth. Iron gently at about 60°C, increasing gradually if the fabric does not iron well.
Silks also require gentle care. Do not apply steam during ironing. it saddens the fabric. A spray gun leaves droplets and streaks on the silk, the blouse has to be washed again.
Silk shirts are ironed slightly damp at the lowest temperature and only on the wrong side. Natural silk is better to iron through the gauze.
If the fabric has a metallic sheen, you need to moisten and dry it again, and then iron it on a lower temperature.
Is it possible to iron a wet blouse
The main rule for proper ironing of a blouse is that it must be clean and slightly damp. You should not over dry shirts, put them in the closet wrinkled after washing. The drier the material, the less easy it is to iron. Not every material can be steamed and sprayed with water.
It is tempting to put the blouse under the iron when it is wet. This is a questionable decision. Moisture-soaked fabric fibers are prone to deformation. When ironing a wet garment there is a risk that it will lose its shape, shrink, or stretch. The water can leave stains and streaks. And the very blouse after such an ironing is not immediately put on. it will remain wet, and it will have to finish drying in the air.
How to iron a dress and skirt
A dress in the first place need to iron the top part (neckline, collar, shoulders), the second. the hem. Start with the s, waistband, and the top of the skirt. Then iron the seams, zipper, bottom and main part of the garment.
The fabric should be ironed crosswise and then lengthwise, using the tip of the iron to straighten out the creases. The vertical darts are to be ironed out to the middle and the breast darts to the bottom.
In order the products with pleats and plissé do not lose their shape, before washing sweep the edges of all folds with a thin thread with free stitches. After washing, dry the garment on a hanger by straightening and pulling the folds in the right direction.
On a thick fabric hemline must be ironed very carefully, without pulling the fabric and steaming the hemline slightly.
Iron different styles
Preferably iron the t-shirt on the ironing board. If you don’t have one on hand, you can roll up a thick blanket. Lay it on a flat, hard surface.
Read the label on the garment before proceeding. It will indicate the recommended temperature.
How to properly iron a short sleeve t-shirt
To iron such things you will need to buy a small board. often comes with a board. Which ironing mode you choose depends on the garment you are spinning with. Here are tips for ironing garments made of different fabrics:
- Pure cotton. It is better to iron such clothes from the wrong side. If the T-shirt is monochrome and has no prints or writings on it, you can iron it from the front side. Dark colored things are an exception. Heat can cause shiny marks near the seams. Cotton can be ironed at 200 degrees. This is best done with the steam mode. If the garment is dry, better sprinkle it with water or cover it with soaked gauze and then iron it.
- Viscose. This is a sensitive material, so it is not recommended to expose it to high temperatures. Temperature should not be set above 100 degrees. Set the iron to “Silk. We recommend ironing viscose shirts wet and on the wrong side.
- Polyester. This material is generally used for sportswear. Best not to iron it. Just shake and hang on the machine after washing. If the clothes are very crumpled and you can’t do without ironing, this is what you can do: Put a piece of cotton or gauze soaked in water on the t-shirt and then iron it. Do not set the temperature above 100 degrees. Set in “Minimal” or “Silk. Do not use steam when ironing. Also, do not exert too much pressure on the iron.
- Silk. T-shirts made of such material are recommended to iron at a temperature of 60-80 degrees without steam.
- Knit. It is ironed at minimum or medium temperature with steam.
The process of ironing both women’s and men’s t-shirts will be the same:
- It is better to start the procedure with small parts. of the sleeves. They are ironed on a small board. If you do not have one, you can roll up several times a heavy-duty towel. Using such devices avoids the formation of arrows on the sleeves.
- Once the sleeves are ironed, you can move on to the main part. Iron the front.
- Then iron the back of the shirt.
To keep your ironed T-shirt looking perfect, observe the following rules:
Only iron clean clothes. Heat can cause dirt to set deep within the fabric.
If you iron a stain, there is a risk that it will never come out again.
Both short and long sleeve shirts can be ironed this way.
How to iron a Polo shirt
In the past, such shirts were considered a male model of sportswear. But gradually they came into the women’s closet and. Polo differs from other models of shirts by the presence of a collar and a small placket with buttons. These items are usually made of cotton fabric. Iron them slightly damp or with a steam iron.
DIY T-shirt Printing | Print Using Flat Iron? | Can I use flat iron in t shirt printing?
- Turn the item on the back side.
- Iron the seams on the sides, the part with the buttons, the cuffs on the sleeves and the sleeves themselves.
- Straighten collar so there are no creases. Iron it out. Move the iron from the edge to the middle.
- Iron the main fabric of the shirt from the front and back.
How to iron a T-shirt with a print
Modern T-shirts often have decorative prints, inscriptions. Iron such garments with care. If you do this incorrectly, the image can be ruined. T-shirts with prints should be ironed from the back. It is better to put a piece of paper under the drawing. Otherwise the pattern may get imprinted on the ironing board fabric (if it’s in contact with it) or on the t-shirt fabric (if you’re ironing the thing from the wrong side).
If the pattern is adhesive based, make sure the temperature is kept as low as possible. Also a T-shirt with a drawing can be ironed through a cotton cloth. When ironing, try not to press the iron down. If you are very afraid of damaging the pattern, it is better to use the steamer instead of the iron. Do not touch the fabric during processing. Hold the iron a few centimeters away.
How to iron a t-shirt without an iron quickly
You’re often in a hurry and don’t have time to iron your t-shirt. Of course, without using it you will not get a perfectly flat T-shirt, but you will manage to put it in order in a few minutes.
- First you must put your t-shirt on a perfectly straight surface, we understand that in this case no ironing board is out of the question, because you are in a hurry.
- Then with a spray gun or other method spray a little water on the surface of the thing.
- Then shake it well to dry it out. Thanks to the moisture, all the bends are straightened, also due to the sharp motions is smoothed crumpled areas. Do not practice this method often, as your T-shirt will simply lose all appearance and will stretch in unnecessary places.
Another method, replacing a real iron could be a kettle or an iron pot. This option cannot be considered fast, but it will be a great substitute for a broken device.
- For this method, you will need to collect water in a kettle or pot, bring it to a boil.
- Then iron the t-shirt with the heated object.
I would like to point out that ancient China was one of the first to practice this type of ironing, they poured water into a cast iron vessel, and then heated it to a certain temperature and ironed things.
How to iron things made of different materials?
Each material requires its own approach, otherwise there is a risk of irretrievably ruining your favorite thing. When ironing T-shirts, it is important to adhere to the following rules, taking into account the type of fabric from which they are made.
- Cotton. Clothes made of natural fibres crumple easily and need high temperatures to get them in shape. When ironing a cotton t-shirt it is acceptable to heat the iron to 200-220 degrees, and moderate use of the steam function is also allowed.
- Polyester. As a rule, materials made of man-made fibers practically do not crumple and retain their original appearance for a long time. But there are cases where a polyester garment has been over-dried or left in the washing machine drum for an extended period of time after completion, resulting in creases. In such a situation ironing is unavoidable, and should be done at low temperatures, using damp gauze or other dense cloth.
- Viscose. The disadvantage of such things is a strong crease, so iron a T-shirt regularly. To do this, you need to heat the iron to 120-150 degrees and tidy the thing, gently moving the platform on the surface.
- Silk. These fabrics do not like the thermal effect, but they crease just like other fabrics made of natural fibers. Allowable temperature of ironing. from 100 to 130 degrees.
- Knitwear. Many housewives are perplexed, why should things made of such material be ironed, if they already look decent. However, this is a mistake, knitwear needs additional care in the form of ironing at least sometimes. The main thing is not to heat the iron too much and not to stretch the product during the heat treatment, otherwise it will lose its original shape.
These days, fabric manufacturers rarely use any fiber in its pure form, most of the products are sewn from materials with artificial impurities, which differ significantly in their main properties. For this reason before ironing you should always study the label of the product in order to find the right temperature mode and not to ruin the thing.
Care after ironing
Proper washing, ironing, and storage help prolong the life of your favorite T-shirts. Don’t stack clothes with collars, sewn-on elements, and prints on shelves, but hang them on separate shoulders after they cool from ironing.
Use a clothes peeler and lint remover to keep things looking fresh and tidy for longer. They form on fabrics that contain natural fibers. Don’t clutter up your closet, get rid of unnecessary items, leave space for new ones.
Not everyone thinks T-shirts need to be ironed. Many people do without it. But using an iron on your clothes can help keep them looking fresh and looking good, and keep bacteria out of your clothes’ fibers.