How to build a dishwasher in a ready-made kitchen. options order of work
Many housewives choose a dishwasher not only because it saves time for everyday household chores, but also because it conserves water. If the repair is not planned in the near future, you can install the appliances directly into the set. Built-in appliances have a number of advantages: installation in the finished kitchen does not spoil the design idea, the device is hidden behind a piece of furniture, with the installation cope even a man who does not have enough experience. To do this, you need to decide where to build the device, calculate the geometric parameters of the niche, choose the model of the device. With a long-awaited purchase the question arises: how to build a dishwasher into the finished kitchen? This article will help to perform the installation of the appliance so that the technique works for a long time and without failures.
How to build in
You can build the oven into any cabinet that meets the requirements. If there are no utilities nearby, you should consider buying a non-built-in appliances, or re-equip your kitchen. The dishwasher can be integrated into the kitchen unit. The place to place the technique can be used by cabinets, niches. They can be installed under the countertop or in a cabinet.
In a niche
The kitchen unit can be provided with a niche for built-in appliances. It is suitable for mounting a dishwasher. Usually its size is small, so compact models of appliances are installed in the niche. This placement option is suitable for daily dishwashing for a small family.
If the niche is far from the water supply, flexible hoses will help. They can be used for the cold water supply or as a drain.
If you buy free-standing appliances, there is no need to look for a suitable place in the kitchen set. When it doesn’t match the kitchen design, it can be masked by a decorative cover matching the color of the front of the set.
In order to choose the right place for the dishwasher, there are drawings in the manual, where the dimensions are indicated. The recommended recess dimensions are also detailed there.
into a cabinet
It is desirable that the width of the cabinet for the appliances was not less than 45 cm. It is recommended to install the dishwasher in a regular module next to the kitchen sink. This will simplify the process of connection, because you can connect the washing machine to the previously equipped system of water supply under the sink.
Remove the rear fronts and shelves from the cabinet before fitting. It is necessary to ensure that the dishwasher is perfectly level. For leveling, special threaded feet are used, which can be adjusted in height. If necessary, holes are made in the side wall to connect the utilities.
The appliance is connected to the utilities in this order: drain hose, water and electricity. It will not be superfluous and installation of a water trap, equipped with a drain spigot.
After installation, you can mount a decorative door on the lid of the machine.
To a freestanding module
When the kitchen set is limited in free space inside cabinets, and there is no room for a PM, you can buy a separate cabinet for the appliances. In this case, its installation is required in the vicinity of the main nodes.
It is necessary to ensure quality fastening of the PMM, otherwise vibrations will move the cabinet. Hoses run along the wall and out the back of the cabinet. The advantage of this method is that in the event of a pipe leak, there is no need to remove the cabinet and the unit itself, just move the module.
Let’s understand the types of dishwashers
These days, dishwashing machines come in many variations. They come in different sizes, colors and configurations. Some of them are really striking in terms of functionality.
All modern dishwashers can be divided into 4 groups, based on the method of installation:
- Freestanding. This is a fairly commonly used option, because you do not need to modify and rebuild cabinets to add a separate machine to the kitchen. You can place it anywhere you wish, provided the space available allows you to do so. Freestanding appliances are easier to connect and maintain. The pluses can also include a lower price.
- Built-in. Roll-in or slide-in models are usually under the worktop. The machine door and control panel are fully visible from the outside. Or you can mount a front panel in the same color or exactly the same as the cabinets around it, which will hide the oven. This option is rarely used to install in an already finished kitchen.
- Semi-integrated. This type is more inconspicuous in the interior, only the bar with the keys is visible from the outside. Decorative facade leaves access to select and run the work program.
- Fully integrated. This type of installation makes it impossible to understand without opening the door that there is some kind of appliance behind it. If the look of the kitchen is such that the symmetry of the cabinets or other considerations do not allow you to change the look from the outside, this is the best way to go.
Typically, attempts to understand the starting point is a choice between a freestanding and any of the built-in. The latter often have more functions and settings. For example, a washer mode for pans with burnt-on food or an increased number of water jets.
Freestanding automatic dishwashers are rarer, but they can also have more advanced functions. For example, some of them can automatically define the quantity of loaded dishes and have complicated programs of work that include several cycles of washing.
Correlation of dimensions of furniture aperture and dishwasher size
In order to properly install a dishwasher in a kitchen unit, you need to correctly relate its dimensions to the size of the niche. Good if you’ve already got your hands on a suitable model, but your kitchen isn’t set up yet. Then you can independently calculate the dimensions of the future opening for the ideal placement and fixing technique.
Approximate ranges of dimensions of different models of dishwashers
Correlation of dimensions of openings and dimensions of PMT shall correspond to several important conditions:
- there must be a gap of at least 5 mm on each side between the machine body and the table top and the side walls of the opening;
- From the rear wall of the opening to the rear panel of the dishwasher cabinet, there must be a distance of 80 to 100 mm for convenient placement of the hoses and the electrical cord.
It is better if there is no back wall at all in the opening. it will allow avoiding the bending of filling and drain hoses connected to the automatic oven.
Examples of calculating openings for different PMTs
Size correlation of the machine and the installation niche
If you have purchased or have just looked at a model of narrow PM with a width of 448 mm, height of 818 mm and depth of 570 mm, calculation of dimensions of the opening is not a very difficult task. Add 5 mm on both sides to the width of the enclosure to obtain an opening width of at least 458 mm. If the height of the recess should be 5 mm greater than the height of the cabinet, then the figure will be 823 mm. Add another 100 mm to the housing depth of 570 mm, and the result will be 670 mm (see drawings). drawing).
Calculating the dimensions of the opening for a full-size dishwasher
The niche dimensions for installing a full-size dishwasher are calculated in the same way (see. drawing).
It will not be difficult to attach the front to the door of the built-in kitchen sink. The instructions for the appliances have information on how to mount the fasteners, in which the facade is inserted. It is then secured and bolted to the door using fasteners.
We offer our readers a video on how to attach the front to the Bosch dishwasher door:
How to integrate the dishwasher into the kitchen
To correctly install the dishwasher, follow the following rules:
- From the wall to the back of the appliance leave at least 5 cm free space for air access and free placement of pipes and hoses.
- The dimensions of built-in appliances are a few millimeters less than the specified ones. This is done in order not to have to change the construction of furniture. Boxes for appliances are made with a small margin.
- Determine the areas for cutting out holes for fixing the decorative box door by referring to the template placed in the installation diagram.
- Take into account the location of the control panel on the side of the appliance during installation.
- To change the height and a tight fit technique to the box use adjustable legs.
- To fix the equipment to the box use the mounting screws and corners.
For independent installation of the dishwasher use the manual supplied with the appliance. The following tools are used for installation:
- Construction level, tape measure;
- A gas wrench, a set of screwdrivers, pliers;
- Tapping for drainage, T-piece for sewerage;
- Hoses for water intake and drain, coming with the device;
- The nipple, the socket, the adapter, the elbow valve;
- three-core cable and Euro socket;
- Water filter and siphon;
- metal clamps, corner, three-way faucet;
- fasteners and caulk.
Included with the PMT usually deliver gaskets, hoses, tools for mounting, an apron for protection, templates by which to install decorative pads. To check the scope of supply, look at the parts list in the instruction manual and check the quantities against the quantities on hand.
It is advisable that the machine is unpacked in the presence of the dealer. Then, in the event of a shortage of any part, this issue can be resolved in a short time.
Installation in the selected location
Prior to installation, verify that the selected cabinet fits the dimensions of the appliance. Holes are made in its walls to lead the communications.
The appliance is installed in place in the following order:
- The machine must be placed in front of the selected cabinet or niche.
- Thread the hoses for the water intake and the drainage of the used liquid through the holes and bring them close to the connection points. Proceed in the same way with the electric cable.
- The body of the washing machine is carefully inserted into the place designed for it. Check the hose lengths during installation.
- Remove the appliance again and prepare it for installation by following the instructions provided. To do this, the gasket is glued to the underside of the worktop to protect it from steam, the sealing tape is attached along the edges, and the damping elements and the mounting plate are installed.
- Adjust the height of the feet to ensure that the enclosure is held vertically. Check the distance to the cabinet walls using a tape measure.
- If the set is equipped with noise protection, mount it on the bottom.
Then mount the cover plates. Use the old closet door for this. It can be machined, sized and attached to the dishwasher door yourself. Use the long self-tapping screws supplied with the dishwasher instead of the short ones.
Connecting to electricity
Do not connect the dishwasher in the apartment to an ordinary socket. This requires an earthed socket. In apartment buildings, the wire for grounding is built into the blind neutral line. To connect the dishwasher, at a low height from the floor install a euro socket, which already has a grounding wire. It is connected to the main contact connection with a 16-amp circuit breaker.
To ensure the appliance’s safety and maintain the warranty period, you must not unplug it. If this work is necessary, it must be done by an expert.
To connect to the water supply
This step of the work is simple and can be done by yourself. There are two ways to connect the dishwasher to the water supply. It’s easier and faster to connect the device directly to the sink faucet. The disadvantage of such connection is that the access to the sink is blocked during the operation of dishwasher, such system looks not aesthetically attractive. That’s why this connection is more often used as a temporary.
The other method is more complicated, but more reliable. You install a tee with a tap on the water line. It can be made of metal or plastic. The inflow hose which is supplied together with the machine is connected to the installed tee. When using a rigid pipe instead of a hose before installing it put the filter. If this is not done, the heater will clog and lead to failure. In the case of simultaneous connection to the water supply of several devices mount an additional manifold. It reduces the number of cuts in the water supply line.
The dishwasher must not be connected to the hot water supply. It does not save on utility bills. Such a connection causes breakage of the check valve due to the large amount of impurities contained in the hot water.
Connecting to the drain
This step in the process is very important. The dishwasher could break down because of a faulty connection. Water either leaks into the drain, or stinky odors from the pipe. To avoid this, use a siphon or an oblique tee.
It is safer and more reliable to install a siphon. It will prevent the penetration of sewer odor and neutralize the siphon effect. To do this, the siphon mounted under the sink is replaced by a model with nozzles. Connect the drain hose to one of them, avoiding kinks. The connection section is secured with a clamp.
When the sink is distant from the oven, a siphon connection must not be used. Then an oblique tee will help, although this method can not be called the best. To reduce the load on the drain pump it is not allowed to increase the length of the hose. That’s why an oblique tee is used. It is inserted into the sewage pipe at the closest point to the appliance. It is already connected to the drain hose.
Connect the hose to connect to the sewer, arranging the rise and fall. That prevents foreign sewage odors from getting into the appliance. An anti-siphon valve is installed to prevent the siphon effect.
Choosing a location: options for integrating the dishwasher
The place of installation of appliances depends on its type. For a freestanding appliance, a small space on the floor or worktop is sufficient. If the technique is built-in, for it must be set aside in one of the cabinets of the kitchen set, and if the lack of a suitable size cabinet to purchase a separate module. A compact dishwasher can be built into a niche, hidden in a module or simply placed on the countertop. To make sure the installation is trouble-free, it’s important to consider the proximity of water outlets, sewer and electrical sockets.
Into the cabinet
If you want to build the appliance into a kitchen unit, you need to measure the units and work out which one is best suited for a dishwasher of a certain size. The exact parameters of the device can be found in the manual. If the width of the module next to the sink is greater than 45 cm, it is ideal for installing a machine. No need for separate outlets for the water supply and drain when connecting. The hoses can be integrated into the system installed under the sink using the adapter fittings.
In order to install the machine in the cabinet, the following steps must be followed:
- Remove the shelves from the cabinet, unscrew the bottom panel, remove the plinth and doors;
- Set the cabinet strictly vertically with the adjustable feet;
- Fix the unit with the fasteners to the countertop and side panels. If the width of the machine is less than the width of the cabinet, the remaining space can be used to organize the detergents;
- connect the appliance to the water, sewer and power systems;
- to install the front. for this it is better to order an additional decorative panel in the same design with the doors of the bottom drawers. The front can also be made from a former door, as long as it is the right size.
A freestanding unit
If you can’t find a suitable cabinet in the kitchen, and the kitchen space allows, you can order a separate cabinet for the machine. Position it as close to the utility system as possible. If there is a gap between the module and the built-in kitchen, it will not be possible to hide the hoses. That’s why it’s better to have the cabinet close to the sink cabinet. The dishwasher integrated into the mobile unit does not have to be dismantled for maintenance. Moving it away from the wall is sufficient.
The freestanding drawer is not attached to the overall unit, making it more likely to vibrate. The dishwasher unit needs to be adjusted as best as possible and secured. Otherwise, it will move the cabinet while working.
In the niche
Compact built-in dishwasher can be installed in the niche designed for an oven or microwave. If the alcove is far from the water and sewage system, you need long hoses to connect it. So that the dishwasher does not spoil the overall aesthetics of the space and is not conspicuous, the front wall is closed with a decorative bar, made in the same style as the facade.
How to Add a New Dishwasher to a Kitchen | This Old House
If recessed is not suitable
What to do if you don’t have the space in your kitchen for a space-saving integrated dishwasher? Keep your hands in the air! Consider freestanding and tabletop units. It is always possible to allocate a piece of floor or a small space on the countertop to place your much-needed “kitchen helper”.
The essential components for installation
Below is a sample list of what you’ll need to get the job done:
- A set of tools (wire cutters, Phillips screwdriver, drill, self-tapping screws, construction level).
- You’ll need a brass water pipe tee to connect the water pressure hose.
- Material for sealing (gasket, rubber rubber tape, gaskets).
- Ball valve.
- Siphon in case the technique is installed in the sink.
- Clamps, crimps
Important! To install a separate socket, you’ll need two-core copper wire with good insulation. Choose a moisture-proof socket.
Types of dishwashers
There are three types, found in the catalogs of stores.
The machine is installed in a niche prepared for it, to become part of the kitchen furniture. Facade matched to the desired tone, so the furniture looks harmonious with the technique.
In stores, a large selection of built-in dishwashers, which should be attached to the front door from the kitchen set
Disadvantages are few. The main. the appliances are built into the new set, which is designed under the dishwasher. Installers install with violations of safety due to the fact that very little free space in the room. Otherwise, no restrictions.
Technology can be inserted into any section, removing unnecessary furniture module. Appropriate. compartment under the sink. There’s close proximity to utilities, and there’s less need to spend money on hoses and wires. Built-in appliances always steal some part of the set, taking up space in the cabinet. You lose the shelves for kitchen utensils in the process.
It’s just a regular dishwasher, and you can put it anywhere you want. You can connect it to the kitchen plumbing in a conventional way. Such a model can be hidden under the countertop. An advantage of this dishwasher is its simple installation. For those who have a fairly small kitchen, you should think about the placement in advance. It is necessary to make sure that all the details for the drain and water supply are properly installed.
If you want to hide the dishwasher from prying eyes, then choose a suitable, strong material for the countertop surface. Here the dishwasher will not be hidden, as in built-in furniture, but its surface will be useful.
The free-standing dishwasher looks like a washing machine
Installing a dishwasher near utilities is the best option, but it’s not always that lucky. If you place the technique away from the riser, you will have to puzzle over where to hide the supply line and hoses. Making them completely inconspicuous is not always possible.
For a small family, you do not need to buy a large-sized unit that consumes a lot of energy and water. A table-top dishwasher perfectly fits into the interior and looks compact.
Tabletop dishwashers range in price from 20,000 to 26,000
When looking for such a model, decide where you will put it. You need to find a place where it will not interfere with the usual activities of the family. These models of equipment are not always designed for washing large pots or pans. They make a loud noise when running, causing irritation.
Most often install the dishwasher next to the sink to optimize space, easy to bring the hoses to the utilities. Manufacturers offer models with different sizes, so there will be no difficulties with the choice of small and full-featured types.
The dimensions of the decorative panel depend on the size of the dishwasher. It can be narrow. 45-60 cm, full-size. from 60 cm or compact technique. the height of 50-60 cm.
It is desirable to determine the choice of the machine, and then order the kitchen with a prepared niche.
What to do if the front for the dishwasher is too long? You can not cut it, because you will spoil the appearance of the set, because it is laminated on top and covered with a decorative film.
If the front is slightly larger than the door, adjust the legs of the appliance so that it fits perfectly under the countertop.
Manufacturers Bosch (Bosch), “Siemens” enclose a life-size drawing-template, screws, self-sticker, fasteners. To figure out how to fix the panel, you can follow the instructions. With an experienced craftsman it will take no more than 10-15 minutes.
Priority of work when hitching up
- Install the dishwasher in the prepared niche.
- Attach the cabinet to the cabinet panels.
- Make the connection to the drain and plumbing.
- Prepare the holes for the handle, using a Phillips screwdriver and an awl.
- After fixing the handle, you need to calculate the distance (Z), which will help put the facade flush with the rest of the doors of the kitchen set.
- Take a tape measure, measure the distance between the door of the adjacent cabinet and the countertop, as shown (X).
- Then measure the distance from the fixture to the countertop (Y). Calculate: Z = X-Y.
- Place the template on the inside of the door.
- Use an awl to mark the location of the fasteners.
- To make the fasteners as secure as possible, drill holes ¾ of the way through the door.
- How to remove the old screws? Sometimes the panels are tightened with short screws, but they are not long enough to fasten the facade. So you need to hang the panel, unscrew the old screws and install long self-tapping screws.
After installing the dishwasher under the front, try closing the door. If the decorative part rests on the plinth, it means that your calculations were wrong. In this case, you can make a gap in the plinth as thick as the façade.
Hansa, Miele appliances can be equipped with a decor panel.
After completing the work it is worth checking the degree of tension of the door. Sometimes users complain that it doesn’t close tightly.
Adjust the mechanism: tighten the bolt that secures the tension cable. Since the door is hinged, it should close easily with a light push of the fingers.