What’s the best way to start your dishwasher for the first time: here’s a sneak peek
The most difficult period in mastering a dishwasher is the initial start. the trial run and the first working wash.
The test run of the appliances is performed to ensure that all communication lines are correctly connected, that there are no leaks and that there is stable supply of power to the user systems of the appliance. Many dishwasher manufacturers (Bosch, Indesit, Siemens, etc.) have a range of dishwasher models.) equip their products with a test wash function (dry run).
Block: 1/3 | Number of characters: 483
Do I need to rinse my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher?? The rinse makes any utensil rinse better. But then the question arises: Why spend money on a washing machine if you have to remove the half-eaten meal, arrange the plates correctly, and pre-rinse it?? If you load the plates immediately after eating, you won’t need to do anything; they’ll wash perfectly well. But if food is dry, plates and bowls must be rinsed before loading them into the hopper.
What dishes should not be washed in the dishwasher
It is forbidden to wash dishes made of wood in the device. Wood is a material that absorbs water very well, tends to swell and starts to deteriorate after prolonged contact with water. This also applies to dishes with wooden handles.
It is also not advisable to wash aluminium dishes in the dishwasher, since they pile up. If containers with a vacuum lid are placed on the sink, the high temperature will render the sealings unusable. Paint can wash off on painted objects. It is forbidden to wash dishes in a machine which are dirty with paint, wax or ash. They can smear other table items and the appliance itself, which may not work properly. It is not necessary to load rusty cutlery, which can cause corrosion on other metal utensils.
Any user will understand how to properly load the dishes in the dishwasher, if you carefully study the instructions. Over time, learn to load cutlery accurately, precisely and quickly. For a better understanding, you can study the photo and video instructions.
Dishwasher usage rules
There are a number of rules, on which the smooth operation of the kitchen equipment depends. They are specified in the instruction manual for the dishwasher. To achieve the best quality of washing, it is enough to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Remove all food debris from the dishes before placing them in the dishwasher.
- Place the dirtiest dishes, pots and pans in the bottom area and small glassware and ceramics in the top area.
- Knives, forks and spoons should be put in the special tray, one after the other. Cutlery is placed sharp-edged upward.
- Dishes must be set tightly in special racks. Cups and bowls are placed upside down so that they can turn freely and be washed from all sides.
- The machine should be loaded as fully as possible. If the dirty dishes will accumulate in small quantities, they will need to be placed in the oven with the door closed and wait for a full load. You can also set the economy wash mode, which will consume the least amount of electricity and detergent.
- After each cleaning cycle, the filters should be treated with a special detergent and wiped with a damp sponge. It is also necessary to keep the internal parts and walls of the chamber clean, regularly removing limescale and clogs.
Advanced models of dishwashers allow you to add dishes already in the process of washing. However, treating unlabeled wooden cutting boards or food containers is not recommended.
How to turn the dishwasher on and select a program
If you are going to wash kitchen utensils in a dishwasher, you need to take into account all the rules of its first run and program selection. Manufacturers like Bosch (Bosch) and Electrolux insist on the importance of a test run, stating that it affects the stability of the unit in the future. An “idle” start is also necessary for the following reasons:
- It is necessary to get rid of lubricants, dust and debris that may have entered during transportation or in the factory.
- Evaluate the quality of the machine’s installation, the intensity of the water supply, how hot it is and how it runs.
- The first run allows you to identify and troubleshoot problems before the dishes are loaded, which will save you from time-consuming unloading due to any error.
Before you open the dishwasher for the first run, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the degree of water hardness in the region where you’re working. Users of Bosch machines are deprived of this requirement, because the manufacturer installs test strips in the appliances to determine the hardness. It is sufficient to immerse the paper strip with the reagents in the water for a couple of seconds and then verify that the values obtained correspond to the table.
The process of turning on is quite simple and consists of the following steps:
- Pull the machine door towards you to access the interior.
- Pull out the bottom basket to reach the lid, which separates the salt tank for water softening.
- Remove the lid and pour in water with special salt.
- Replace the lid, and any drops of water that may have fallen on the surface, remove with a rag.
- Select the salt output in the respective menu. The exact value depends on the water hardness level.
Water for the salt reservoir is filled only at the first start-up. The salt additive is applied using the watering can, which should come with the kit. If it is not available, you can use a simple cup. The salt is poured until it is visible through the filler hole.
The dishwasher cycle can vary according to the model. In most cases, such options are found:
- Soak or prewash. Allows you to soak any burnt or stuck-on food or water stains before running the main program. This mode also allows you to rinse utensils before serving.
- Wash with high intensity. Eliminates stubborn dirt at temperatures of 65-70°C.
- Standard (normal) wash. Intended for medium to heavy soiling. Most often used with the other modes.
- Eco-wash. Suitable for all types of soiling. It is also economical in consumption of electricity, liquid and detergent. Faor and earthenware products can be washed in this mode.
- Delicate wash. Used when treating fragile objects made of glass, faora or crystal. The temperature mode selected is the most gentle. 45 ° C, so it does not get rid of greasy dirt.
- fast washing. Two times shorter than the standard cycle and performed at a temperature of 55°C. Cannot deal with dried-on food leftovers.
Selecting the operating program
Dishwasher has quite a few operating mode variations, it depends on the dishwasher model. Options:
- normal (standard);
- Eco (economy);
The normal mode is designed for moderately dirty dishes. The duration of this washing process will be about 1-2 hours at an operating temperature of 60±5 degrees.
Economy program is used with lightly soiled dishes and will save you two resources: water and electricity. But it will be as much as 2 hours at 50 degrees Celsius.
In case of heavy dirt, sticky and burnt food containing starch and protein, the intensive program, where the temperature rises to the level of 70-80º C, will save you.
A gentle mode is appropriate for cutlery made of thin glass. Parameters of this process: a gentle temperature of 30-40 degrees and a quick wash for 20-30 minutes.
Automatic dishwashing machine washable dishes
There are many materials that can be perfectly cleaned in a dishwasher. Their quality is not affected in any way.
Pots which can be cleaned in a machine:
- Enameled. Watch out for chips. If they are present, the container will quickly fall into disrepair. The enamel will crack and rust will appear Such dishes are used for microwave cooking and are not afraid of high temperatures.
- Ceramic with a quality coating. This coating protects, among other things, against ppm.
- Cast-iron enameled dishes.
Causes of dishwasher damage
There are quite a few restrictions that limit the dishwasher‘s capabilities, and ineffective handling and improper loading lead to unexpected results. The conditions that are created in the dishwasher limit the possibility of washing certain types of dishes in it.
Factors that narrow down the functionality of appliances:
- very hot water;
- temperature fluctuations;
- Hot air drying;
- harsh chemicals;
- prolonged contact with water, steam.
Temperature shocks can cause even tempered glassware that normally tolerates hot temperatures to crack.
Some models of dishwashers take this factor into account. the built-in heat exchanger eliminates the sharp temperature fluctuations.
Arranging Indian Utensils in a Dishwasher | How to load dishes in a Dishwasher
In order to maximize the potential of the technique, purchase dishes with a manufacturer’s mark indicating that they can be washed in a dishwasher. But even following all the rules can cause tableware to deteriorate
The removable tray allows us to wash cutlery and leathers.
knives ALWAYS have the blades downward (Safety first!).
Don’t load cutlery tightly, especially spoons.
Arranging the spoons in this way, you risk getting poorly washed cutlery
If you have a lot of dirty cutlery load them alternately.
The cutlery is arranged correctly
What to do with heavily soiled dishes
In day-to-day use, these machines perform brilliantly, and a quick cycle is often sufficient. Mild soiling on kitchen utensils is usually no problem. The express programs are economical, because they minimize consumption of detergents and electricity.
The strongly soiled pots, pans, sauté-pans and trays require a real “bath”. In such situations, turn on the intensive mode with the heating of the water in the unit to the maximum possible temperature.
It is convenient if the machine has a soak program which is used to wash away stubborn dirt. This procedure is a pre-washing procedure, conducted with wetting of the utensils with water of low temperature.
It is recommended to use this mode for large batches. If there are few plates or pans, it is easier to soak the items in a basin, adding baking soda or a common detergent (gel, concentrate) to the hot water.
As a conclusion, it is worth noting that in order for the dishwasher to wash quality dishes, the consumer should know how to properly arrange the dishes in the dishwasher.
Chief editor of the site. I understand the topic of technology, 10 years of experience in large retail chains. About the team and the expertise of the materials written on the TechRevision Team page. There are many third-party authors on the site, but I’m responsible for the accuracy of the information in the picks.