How to use and look after your iron: 7 useful tips and more
Iron in a certain order. If you follow these steps, your clothes will stay crease-free:
- Use filtered water. The liquid from the tap is not suitable, because it leaves a deposit.
- Set the iron to the right mode with or without steam, put the appliance on the ironing board. The main thing is that it must stand upright. Otherwise the garment will be burnt.
- Put the clothes on the board. Then straighten it out to prevent creasing.
- Iron the garment on one side, flip it over to the other side. Go over the iron again.
- After ironing, you must hang the garment on hangers or it will wrinkle.
- Turn off the appliance. Don’t put it away immediately in a box or somewhere else to store it. Allow the iron to cool down first so it doesn’t burn the rest of your clothes.
Important! Do not stand still for too long when ironing. It is necessary to drive the iron over the entire surface of the products. This will help smooth out creases.
Every year the range of ironing boards from different manufacturers continues to grow rapidly. Coming to any appliance store, you can see a huge number of these products and an inexperienced buyer will seem as if the only important difference is the cost. In fact, overpriced will not guarantee high quality and ease of use, so you will need to analyze other parameters.
How to Use an Ironing Board
Before buying, analyze all the parameters of the ironing board
The first thing you need to pay attention to weight, since the ironing board is often used by the fair sex. The lighter this device will be, the easier and faster it will be to prepare it for use and then put it away. You should also pay attention to the strength of the working surface. It should by no means be even slightly deformed or too thin. If the surface will sag or loosen during ironing, it will be very uncomfortable to work with such equipment.
The surface of the ironing board should be strong and stable
Modern models of the last board generation are often folded, that allows you to achieve maximum compactness. This is an important criterion at the stage of choosing such a thing, because if you purchase a miniature analogue, it will always be possible to place it somewhere so that it will not interfere later in the living space.
Folding board helps to save space
The working surface should be as wide as possible to make the ironing process as comfortable as possible. Many give preference to models that are originally equipped with special supports for the iron. Those boards are convenient to use, which are equipped with a clip for carrying, in which the iron will be connected. As for the coating of the working area, it should be made of a soft material that does not deform under the influence of high temperatures.
Practical ironing board with iron stand
Many modern models can be adjusted by height, and this is very convenient, because every housewife has different height and there is an opportunity to adjust the workplace so that it was the most comfortable to do ironing. It is recommended to choose those models where the height adjustment and fixation of the selected position can be made quickly.
Ironing board with adjustable height
When choosing this product it is necessary to pay attention to all the criteria, which are written above, because otherwise it will be really problematic to get a convenient in use and durable thing. Cost is also one of the most important selection criteria. It is advisable to choose from the entire range of options, which will be distinguished by the best combination of price and quality.
The secrets of successful ironing
Like any other business, ironing things has its own rules and little tricks that allow you to get a perfectly ironed product at the output. It must be said that the key to successful ironing begins during the proper drying of laundry. It is at this stage that the garment either remains hopelessly crumpled after washing or takes on a neater appearance, sometimes allowing you to do without the iron at all.
Brabantia Ironing Board | Size B with Solid Steam Iron Rest | Brabantia
How to properly dry things so that they are less crumpled:
- You should start drying your laundry immediately after the wash. Items left in the basin or drum of the washing machine will gradually dry out naturally in the position in which they are, that is, in a crumpled state with multiple folds of fabric. To iron them later would be much more difficult.
- Shake the product before hanging it on the dryer. This action will straighten the fibers of the fabric, and there will be less creases. You can stretch the fabric slightly with your hands if the product looks visually squeezed. But don’t overdo it, wet clothes stretch more easily and deform more easily.
- Hang your clothes flat and well spaced out. avoid squeezed areas of fabric on the rope.
- Outer garments (blouses, shirts, jackets) are best dried on a suitably sized hanger. A clothes hanger with clothespins is good for pants. And knitwear and crocheted garments retain their shape and will not get too wrinkled when dried flat on a horizontal surface.
- If several articles of different fabrics are to be ironed, start with those that require a low iron temperature, i.e. first synthetics, viscose, silk, wool, and only then linen and cotton,
- before the first heat treatment, be sure to test the fabric: iron a less visible area and watch the reaction of the material,
- Colored linen and articles with decorative elements (embroidery, sequins) iron only from the backside,
- Carefully unfold the cloth on the ironing surface, folds in the material will cause creases, which will be difficult to correct,
- Clothes, including narrow parts, are best ironed in one layer. This will help prevent creasing of the material. Use the narrow part of the ironing board and the sleeve ironer,
- If you do not have special appliances, you can use a towel, rolled up with a roller. Place it inside the garment. Iron the fabric in one layer on it,
- Begin with the collar, cuffs, belts, and s first, and then move on to the sleeves, flyers, and other big areas,
- Large sheets (duvet covers, sheets) for convenience folded in 4 times (length and width), joining the corners to avoid warping, and iron from the front side,
- on items of fine fabrics is recommended pre-smoothing the seams. This will remove small gatherings that appear after washing and drying,
- So that the seam allowances are not imprinted on the front of the product, put sheets of paper under them. If this has already happened and unsightly patches are left on the front, iron the fabric under the seam allowance on the wrong side,
- Iron the parts of things with short strokes in the direction of the main threads, which are less stretchy. This will prevent the fibers from deforming,
- Always move the iron away from you, to prevent scalding,
- To iron knitwear and crocheted items, do not move the iron over the fabric, but gently move it from one place to another. This method will protect the material from stretching,
- You can iron out tough folds (like the arrows on a classic pair of pants) using a vinegar solution: 1 tbsp (0.15 oz) of vinegar. л. per liter of water. Moisten gauze or a fine cotton cloth with the solution, wring well, and spread it over the folds to be ironed. Slowly, pressing on the iron, iron the surface. The fabric will hold its shape well after this treatment,
- Vinegar solution is also suitable for eliminating weasels on the material. Use similar to the previous point, but carefully straighten the fabric so as not to accidentally press out unnecessary folds,
- The ironed laundry should not be immediately put on or put away in the closet. A warm material easily changes its shape, new folds may appear and the work done will be useless. It is better to hang the product on hangers and let it cool down a little.
How to use the antenna on the ironing board
The antenna is a straight wire that changes into a spiral at the bottom. There is a plastic clothespin on top for a cable with a standard diameter. The antenna itself is strong, most often made of stainless steel, it can bend in all directions. Attach it to the iron stand.
- Before ironing, you need to fix the wire in the holder on top. this position provides maximum comfort;
- The wire should be secured so that the comfortable length part remains free. without tension, but also without the need to constantly yank it;
- While ironing, you can forget about the antenna. its springiness and flexibility accounts for any movement of the iron;
- You can pull the cord out of the holder afterwards, or you can leave it in the holder until the next time. as long as it doesn’t get in the way of placing it safely on the stand.
Maintenance of the iron
When the iron is no longer gliding well on the fabric or soiling the ironed clothes, it should be cleaned. With use, the soleplate of the device gets dirty, and a layer of limestone begins to cover all the holes.
To properly descale and clean your iron, you need to remove particles that interfere with the normal functioning of the device.
Follow these steps to clean your iron properly:
- Unplug your iron first before working on it.
- Wait for the soleplate to cool or heat up before cleaning.
- Do not use an abrasive sponge on an iron with a Teflon-coated soleplate.
- Only use a well-wrung cloth or a perfectly dry sponge.
What to use to clean?
Use only quality chemical solutions for best effectiveness. Do not use overly aggressive agents to avoid corrosion.
As home solutions you can take vinegar, citric acid, baking soda (as an abrasive). However, baking soda is not recommended for cleaning Teflon coatings.
To remove rust, fine salt is used, and stains on Teflon surface can be removed with vinegar. Also among the modern cleaning tools is a special stain remover pencil. It removes stale fibers and dirt from even the nooks and crannies.
Look at the finish
Also, the method of cleaning depends on the type of coating.
There are the following coatings:
- Ceramic (glides perfectly on clothes, easy to clean, but is fragile).
- Aluminum (heats up and cools down quickly, but leaves a sheen on the fabric).
- Stainless steel (easy to slide, durable, but makes the iron heavy).
- Teflon (non-stick and easy to slide, but scratches easily).
- Titanium (perfectly glides, strong and durable).
These are the basic types of soleplate. And, as a rule, most manufacturers use these types, adding special coatings and coatings that make the products unique and recognizable.
Teflon coatings, despite their durability and strength, should not be subjected to mechanical stress.
Pour water out of the reservoir after each use. That way it won’t stagnate, preventing unpleasant odor.
Some models have a steam generator self-cleaning function. After pressing the button, the iron will release a jet of steam with dust particles in it.
The steam generator weighs more than 5 kg, and a board designed for an iron is not fully adapted to the steam generator. But a board designed to work with a steam generator can also safely be used under a household iron.
I’ve had a steam generator for three years now that generates steam Super useful stuff! Irons just about anything. My ironing board came with a steam generator. Iron with Holes. Has been in use for the same three years and no problems.
Choosing the right steam generator board is very important as it will save you time and simplify the ironing process. Armed with our tips you can analyze the properties of different models and buy exactly the one that will meet all your requirements.
Matters. Ironing Board, 21st Century
I decided here, as I am such a cool designer that it’s time for me to get some kind of advanced ironing board.
Although I don’t really know what is meant by an advanced board. Well, it should have some kind of non-stick surface, made of some modern material. that’s all my archaic imagination can do.I do, of course, have a board. I can’t do without it! It’s very old. It’s about 20 years old. But that’s not why I don’t like it. I don’t like it, first of all, because it’s heavy, with iron legs and therefore very unfriendly. my joints are not designed for this kind of strength exercises, and she always injures me in the process of folding. In addition, it has long lost its original work surface. The removable Teflon ones just don’t fit, they go somewhere while working, so I have to cover it with a blanket and a sheet on top.And the shape of her work surface, frankly speaking, is not the most functional and ergonomic.In short, it is high time to replace it. By the end of the collection, when the moment came to perform all the final manipulations on more than a dozen things at once, I found myself in METRO, went to get acquainted with the ironing boards of the XXI century.They certainly made me very happy with their out-of-the-box design. ))) though I’m not sure if I dream to have a playful Italian man in my house. But it did not go further than meeting an Italian man. they’re all packaged!gloomy METRO staff at two in the morning was also not disposed to discuss with me the merits of ironing boards. Yes, I strongly suspect they could only mumble about it during the day. Anyway, all I’ve learned is that boards these days, it turns out, can have a startling appearance and cost. well, not like an airplane. but obviously not as ironing board as I had imagined.They don’t want that kind of money for just one handsome man? Perhaps these boards have some other wonderful modern qualities, which were not there before, and I just do not have enough imagination to imagine them?Tell me, happy owners of advanced ironing boards, what have they got that is fundamentally not in my old board of the last century? What to look out for when buying? Why do you love it?Just do not send me to the online stores sewing and ironing equipment! That’s why I almost never buy anything online. Just not in a position to judge how really comfortable and good, I have to try it with my own hands. Or to hear the opinions of real people.I am waiting for an answer like a nightingale of summer! )))
Philips EasySpeed GC2088 Wireless Steam Iron
I love to try all sorts of new products from the section of household and kitchen appliances. Even if I have similar devices, but the new product has some curious feature, I am eager to try it. In this regard, I am a complete innovator. On the Philips website I saw a call for applications to test the Philips EasySpeed GC2088 cordless steam iron, so I dared to take part and was one of ten participants. I already had the feeling in advance that this solution should be incredibly easy to use, so I wanted to try it out. Even though I have a Philips steamer, which I love with all my heart.
As you can see by the photo, we’re in the middle of preparations for a new family member, so the last few days ironing has been non-stop. I was able to get a good look at the iron in action.How it works? We put the iron itself on the lighted stand, which is plugged into the outlet, and it charges. This charge is enough for about 20-25 seconds of ironing. So we iron the surface, and then the stand starts flashing orange to tell us it is time to recharge the iron. We put the iron on the stand, and meanwhile we either move clothes on the ironing board or lay out a new one. The iron has time to charge in the five seconds it takes to fiddle with the fabric.And now my favorite pros and cons: Pros:. The fact that the iron is cordless. This is really handy, especially in cases where you need to iron a large area, such as curtains or linens. I am sure many of you know how in such cases the cord gets in the way and you have to think of the best way to throw the cord so as not to accidentally touch or throw the iron off the ironing board, while you are slowly moving the fabric. I just ironed three sets of curtains in one fell swoop, so I know what I’m talking about 🙂 The power cord of the stand is long, so there are no problems with its placement. I have noticed such a bad trend among manufacturers lately, as a shortening of the cord.
Cons: That’s probably the only downside, but this is more of a wish list. I would like the iron to work a little longer without recharging. BUT! Here we should consider that my ironing board is large and wide, so it fits too much fabric. Again, this may increase the weight of the iron, but now it is very comfortable to work with due to its lightness. Well, I had such a desire only when I smoothed curtains. And when ironing regular clothes. no complaints at all.
How to store the iron
The storage of your iron depends on how often you use it. If you use it a few times a week, it’s enough to put it in a closed cabinet so that household dust doesn’t accumulate on the soleplate and housing, which can transfer onto clean clothes. The best position for an iron when turned off is upright, with the narrow tip pointing upward. This will prevent residual water from dripping onto the surface, and will better drain the inside walls of the tank.
If you rarely use the iron, you should put it in a box or pouch (remembering to pour out the rest of the water). Avoid prolonged contact with metal objects to avoid corrosion and rust stains on the work platform.