Gas is a very dangerous gas, so you must handle all gas pipes with care and caution. You can hide the pipe from view, but you must not close it at all. е. It is not allowed to use a blind box of drywall for decor. This not only makes it difficult to maintain, but also simply dangerous: when leaking in a closed space, the gas more easily accumulates and can explode.
The safest way to beautifully decorate a gas pipe is to paint it. It is not only allowed, it is necessary: painting protects the metal from corrosion and prolongs the service life of the pipeline.
Hiding the pipes behind furniture fronts
This option is suitable for concealing vertical and horizontal sections, and even gas equipment (meters, columns). If you are renovating in the kitchen, you can immediately order a raised cabinet of a certain size. Existing furniture fronts can also be retrofitted.
It is enough to make holes for the pipes on the back, bottom and top wall. The space of the cabinet, which will hide the gas line, can be used to place kitchen utensils, but the prerequisite is sufficient ventilation, so in the most inconspicuous places you can create several openings (the main thing is not to close them later with cans and pots), or install a lattice screen. The vertical section of the pipes can be hidden in a cabinet, the horizontal. in an ordinary cabinet. The main thing is to provide quick access to utilities.
It is not necessary to match the wall color, you can think of more original solutions. I would like to point out that. fascinating and creative process. You just need to use your imagination or be inspired by other works. And your hateful pipe will turn into a stunning art object. Remember to paint with a special paint. This will help the surface to glue more evenly and look neater.
Painting in the same color as the wall.
Monochrome painting in contrast to the wall.
You will need a special film for decoupage (you can buy it in a craft store) or ordinary napkins with a matching pattern. The surface of the pipe must be cleaned beforehand. Then apply glue and place the cloth on top. Then apply the second layer of glue on top of the cloth to soak up enough of the glue. Last step. Lacquer fixation.
If you paint beautifully, you can pre-paint the pipe with decorative patterns or ornaments. This will make your interior very unique.
Requirements for covering a gas pipe
Today, before making any changes in the layout of the premises and the location of communications, it is necessary to obtain the appropriate permits. What do the regulations state about the closure of the gas pipe? Immediately say that the advice such as hiding everything in a plasterboard box, you can immediately discard, as the gas inspector, seeing all this, you immediately make everything dismantle, and the risk of running into a fine is not small. That is why when choosing a method of masking you should be guided by the following requirements, and then no one will be able to tell you anything:
- The most important requirement is free access to the gas pipe. Imagine a situation where there is a gas leak and the repair service has no way to get to the pipe hidden by careless owners. Depending on the consequences, the person may incur serious penalties, up to and including criminal. Needless to say, people’s lives and health may depend on it.
- The second important requirement. you can not close the pipes tightly, because in the case of a gas leak, it will lead to its accumulation and concentration in one place, which is also fraught with serious consequences. And the gas leakage in this case will be problematic to feel, because it practically will not enter the main room.
Advice! You can use lightweight decorative structures, which ventilate and, if necessary, can be easily dismantled. However, here we can reason ambiguously. the inspector may not agree with the decision of the owners, so before installing it is still better to consult with a specialist.
- The gas supply pipe must never be moved. Such an operation can only be carried out by qualified employees of the gas station, and only with permission from their office.
- All gas pipes should be painted, as layers of this coating reliably protect the metal from corrosion, which over time can destroy the pipes. So before you hide anything, you need to show some painting skills.
- When masking pipes, they are not allowed to be deformed. They are handled very carefully, as even a microscopic crack can cause a serious accident. For the same reason it is not allowed to put any static loads on the gas pipe. hang something, put foreign objects, and even stick magnets.
Gas is a highly explosive substance, so this zealous approach to complying with equipment safety standards is understandable without further ado. Before you do anything, think twice about the possible consequences. Safety is always above any aesthetic considerations.
According to the regulations gas inspectors need free access to all elements of the gas infrastructure, so you can not sew up the pipe completely, it threatens not only fines and persecution of inspectors, but also an explosion in case of a leakage.
So that the element does not attract unnecessary attention, paint it in the color of the walls, tiles or wallpaper. so the unwanted pipe will cease to be conspicuous.
For painting, acrylic or oil paint is used, as well as nitro enamel. The procedure is as follows:
- shut off the gas;
- clean the surface;
- After waiting for the first coat to dry, apply the paint again.
How to hide a gas pipe in the kitchen various legal options
Most owners of houses and communal apartments want to give their kitchens an aesthetic appearance in accordance with the chosen design style or their taste. However, this is often hindered by gas lines, and users have to solve the problem of how to hide the gas pipe in the kitchen.
Gas piping is usually installed along with meters, stopcock, which take up some space and worsen the appearance of the premises. Often from the gas pipe comes a flexible gas line of a different color, which is also desirable to hide. The task of concealing the gas pipeline, fittings and instruments is complicated by the fact that they must be accessible. Therefore, the owners have to resort to various tricks to achieve their goal.
The variants of masking
The gas pipe can be turned into a design element, you can disguise it with furniture or other fixtures or hide it under the panels. There are a lot of variations.
The easiest way is to paint the gas line. The following techniques are used:
- Painting in the color of the wall. choose a tone-on-tone paint. Visually, the gas line and the wall are perceived as one unit.
- Contrasting painting. in some styles, such as kitsch, boho, avant-garde, communication lines are painted in bright colors, matching the shade of the kitchen furniture or curtains. In this case, the pipe serves as an additional decorative element. In the kitchen in the loft or high-tech style, the gas pipes are painted in metallic.
- Painting. a certain ornament is reproduced on the pipes. geometric, vegetable, ethnic. The pattern on the tablecloths or curtains can be repeated. Sometimes the pipe is given a likeness of a birch trunk, bamboo.
Special films or cloths are used instead of paint.
Use any paint for interior work: oil, acrylic, nitro enamel. The choice is made taking into account the operating conditions of the room. To apply it, you can use a brush or roller, but home masters advise to use a spray can with paint.
Close the gas pipe in the kitchen can be also with the help of the following materials:
- If the walls in the kitchen are wallpapered, their fragments can also be used to paste the pipe. Using regular glue.
- Gas pipe wrapped with thick ropes to play with the likeness of a palm trunk. To make such a finish more attractive, the “tree” is supplemented with artificial citrus fruits, flowers.
- Artificial climbing plants, like a flowering vines, also serve as a good decoration. The liana is wrapped around the pipe and secured with clamps.
- An unusual and rather labor-intensive method is a mosaic, stone or glass. Such decor looks very effective.
Employees of gas services to such methods of disguise ambiguously treat.
If the gas pipe runs through the apron, parallel to the work surfaces of the tables, it can be camouflaged with the railing. Nothing can be attached to the tube itself, but it can be hidden behind the railing mounted on brackets. Put ordinary hooks on the rail and hang utensils and dishes.
The railing system is mounted just below the gas line. Choose a brightly colored railing. chrome, imitation bronze or brass. Bright color draws attention, the pipe looks like a part of the system.
Gas pipes can be hidden behind the kitchen unit. If the tube is high enough, you can install a shelf at a small distance under it. When it is filled with dishes and appliances, the gas line will not be visible.
The gas pipe can be mounted in a row of hinged cabinets. For this purpose, a groove is made in the back and sides and cabinets are fixed so that the pipe lies in its intended place. It is important that access to the pipe remains free, and at least some air circulation in the cabinet.
Vertically arranged fragments, together with meters, sensors and columns are hidden in specially made for this purpose false cabinets. They exactly follow the design of working kitchen furniture and will form a single unit with it. This leaves the lower part of the cabinet free and can be used to accommodate equipment. The requirement is the same as when masking the horizontal sections of the line: the pipes must remain freely accessible.
The most effective and suitable for all conditions method of decorating the gas pipe. hide it in a plasterboard box. It is mounted in the usual way: a metal frame is attached to the wall and covered with gypsum plasterboard. For the kitchen, you need to take water-resistant drywall.
Tying into gas pipe
When installing the 2 requirements are met:
- part of the box must be removable, because the gas pipeline is kept free access;
- In the box installed lattices or areas with peorized surface to prevent the accumulation of gas in the case of a leak.
The advantage of such a construction is the possibility of giving it any configuration. If you want to close the pipes and counter, build a semblance of a cabinet, close all the devices in a false cabinet, pipes are embedded in a voluminous multi-level wall and ceiling structures.
There is another solution. Instead of a rather bulky plasterboard boxes, the gas line can be sewn with lighter panels of any suitable material:
- Profiled polycarbonate. wooden bars are attached along the pipe on both sides and the U-shaped panel is fixed on them. The material can be any color, cladding can include solid and peorized sections.
- Cardboard sleeve. the tube is not heated, so you can use for its lining flammable materials, like decorative cardboard.
- Wood materials. peorized plywood, laminated veneer, natural wood. Any material is suitable for trimming boxes. A very interesting variant is when a bamboo trunk or its imitation is used. This solution is suitable for the kitchen in the style of eco.
- Panels of frosted or transparent plastic, frosted glass. the decor is very unusual and effective. But this is only possible in the interior in the loft, high-tech, techno style.
The advantage of such cladding compared with plasterboard box is a smaller area. Panel box is much smaller.
The gas pipeline, including fragments in the apartment, is the property of the management company. On this basis, to make any changes, cut fragments, shorten and lengthen the pipes has the right only the actual owner. The landlords’ or tenants’ authority is limited to writing a petition and doing minor preparatory work without interfering with the system.
To have the right to shorten the pipe, the customer must meet the following requirements:
- have a certificate of ownership of the apartment;
- be a tenant, provided that there is an agreement in which the possibility of making changes in communications is spelled out;
- Have no debts for utilities.
All this must be confirmed by documentation.
There are more stringent requirements for the contractor:
- license to carry out manipulations with the gas economy;
- profile education, confirmed by a certificate, diploma or certificate;
- Documentation of the intervention in the system and the changes made;
- The use of control and measuring equipment;
- availability of production instructions for gas hazardous works;
- A work record book and official employment.
This list is due to the high responsibility of the master for carrying out explosive works. Therefore, it is prohibited by law to carry out the shortening of gas pipes in the kitchen by hiring random people by advertisement. It is necessary to apply to the legally empowered professionals.
Masking pipes with their own hands
Installing a special box allows you to give an aesthetic appearance of the kitchen and does not require significant financial costs. This simple method can hide not only the pipes, but also the chimney and the equipment included in the gas supply system: the gas meter and boiler.
The main advantages of this method include:
In addition to tangible advantages, there are also a number of disadvantages in this option of masking the elements of the gas supply system:
- The box will take up some of the free space, so it is not desirable to install it in the kitchen of small area;
- Access to the gas line is obstructed, which is a violation of basic safety rules;
- When repairing the gas system will need to perform a complete replacement of the box.
The necessary tools and materials
To make the box, you need to prepare a set of tools in advance, consisting of:
As a basic material you can use gypsum board, plastic panels, plywood or chipboard, metal profiles, as well as fasteners. self-tapping screws or screws.
The course of work
The process of making a gypsum plasterboard box consists of several steps.
- calculation and layout of the structure. The box being installed must completely cover the gas supply lines and equipment, and it must also allow unhindered access to them. Therefore, the calculation must be performed so that inside the construction was free enough space for access to any component of the system;
- Installation of metal profiles. Profile should be cut into segments of the required length and fastened to the walls with self-tapping screws;
- fixing of gypsum plasterboard. Sheets of plasterboard cut with metal scissors into billets of the required size, which are attached to the profiled strips with self-tapping screws or screws;
- Elimination of chips and gaps with assembly foam;
- finishing works. Drywall can be puttied and painted or decorate in decoupage style, which consists in gluing the surface of the box with special filmic cloths. For the pasting of the construction you can also use any textile or glossy paper, followed by a varnish coating.