Is it worth it to do the replacement yourself?
Water heating equipment has a fairly simple design and works on the elementary principle. Therefore, every home handyman will be able to cope with the replacement of the heating element on their own, without calling a specialist.
The main disadvantage of hiring a professional is the high cost of repair. Often this figure can be as high as 60 and this is only for the work, not including the cost of parts. Therefore, by spending a little of your own time, you can save a significant amount of money.
If the heater is still under warranty, it is necessary to contact the service center. In this case, the repair will be free of charge if the user has followed the rules of operation
Starting the water heater
Before full operation of the unit it is necessary to test the performed work. First you need to reinstall the taps, connect the equipment to the water supply. Then fill the tank with cold water. At the same “hot” tap must be left open to expel air from the closed space of the tank. When the liquid begins to flow, the valve can be closed. If flushing the walls has not been performed, it is better to pass some water for cleaning.
To monitor at this stage first of all it is necessary to monitor the leaks. It will take about an hour. Here you need to wait for the condensate to evaporate, which in any case appears. If there are no leaks, you can do a test run of the boiler. Absence of failures in the usual operation indicates the quality of the repair. The heater can be used as usual.
Features of replacement of the heating element in the water heater Ariston
Structurally, the water heaters of this manufacturer are similar to their counterparts. Therefore, the replacement of the water heater is also similar. But there is a difference. an oval flange.
This feature affects the nature of the electric heater removal. Flange is shaped like a funnel, installed inside the tank. On the outside there is a clamping strip that holds the flange.
- Unscrew the nut that fastens the flange (it is fastened with only one nut).
- Remove the clamping strip.
- Push flange with heater inside the tank.
- Inside by hand invert the heater so that the flange is at the top.
- Tilt and pull out the heating element.
Cum se scoate rezistenta de la boiler ARISTON Tutorial
Further the process of replacement of the electric heater Ariston goes the same way as in the Thermex water heaters.
Prevention as a way to avoid problems
Not only homeowners provide themselves with autonomous hot water. and more residents of apartment buildings prefer to install flow-through or storage water heaters. The reasons for such unconditional popularity of 2. interruptions with hot water, especially in the off-season, and the high cost of hot water supply.
For several years popular Italian boilers Ariston. They are of high quality, reliability, long service life if used properly. Nothing has been invented eternal yet, and therefore the repair is sometimes necessary to do yourself.
And although the water heater. a fairly complex device, its regular cleaning and maintenance can be done on their own for just a couple of hours. The main thing before you start the actual work, understand not only how the equipment works, but also how to disassemble it correctly.
The most important thing is to drain completely the water from the boiler. On the bottom there are 2 spigots, one of them feeds water into the boiler, the second. drains.
Even after the water is completely drained, some of it remains at the bottom of the tank, so before you open the lid, put a bowl for the rest.
Since a quality drain is the key to the successful outcome of the entire operation, let’s dwell on it in more detail.
The procedure depends on the characteristics of a particular model. with a trigger, tee or through a check valve.
- The most fastidious model is the one that has a built-in T-piece between the pipe and valve. It will have to be unscrewed with an adjustable wrench and drain all the water.
- on those models where there is no tee, but there is a trigger. a jumper on the return valve. It can be bent and locked and then wait for the water to drain out. This process usually takes 1.5-2 hours.
- the easiest and therefore most effective way is to unscrew the check valve counterclockwise. Before you do this, connect the hose to the water outlet pipe and drain.
If at any manipulation water from the return does not flow, open the hot water faucet to create the necessary air flow, and do not close it until the boiler is empty.
Attention! All work is carried out only after the water heater is disconnected from the mains!
How to Disassemble the Water Heater Properly?
For those who have no time to read, we have prepared a video instruction on how to disassemble the water heater Ariston. Here you will learn about installation, pipe connection, cleaning, etc.д.
- hose for water drainage, matching the diameter with the return pipe;
- anode for replacement;
- a special cleaner for the heating element, you can also use a concentrated solution of citric acid.
Once again, all work on the disassembly of the water heater is carried out only when it is completely de-energized.
Order of actions
- Remove the lid from the bottom of the boiler, unscrewing the screws along the perimeter.
- Drain the water as indicated earlier (it is easier and faster to drain through a socket).
- On the inner casing are a few screws, they should be unscrewed (do not forget to put a bowl, in the system is still about 15-20 liters of water).
- Over time, the bolts “bake” and they are very difficult to unscrew. If this happens even now, it is better to remove the boiler from the wall, lay it horizontally and then unscrew. By the way, the tightness of screws indicates a quality assembly.
- Pull out the electrical unit very carefully. But so that the rubber gasket remains intact. it is very easy to tear or deform it. At this stage it is advisable to take photos of everything you do. Then you have to assemble in reverse order and then your photos will be very useful.
- If necessary, replace the anode with a new one, and soak the heating element in citric acid solution. Minimal time is 24 hours. After 24 hours, take any object with a narrow end and carefully remove the scale from the heating element. All this should be done only if the cause of the breakdown is a burned out heating element or the need to replace the magnesium anode. On how to find out what it is that prevents the unit from working. further on.
- Using a cleaning solution, treat the electrical enclosure of the boiler. Scale can be removed with a dry hard sponge.
How to determine if the heating element and/or anode is faulty
- The device does not heat water. if you make sure that the socket is serviceable and there is electricity. the fault is in the heating element.
- Water heats very slowly. you need to replace the magnesium anode.
- A distinct but muffled hiss is heard during operation. excessive limescale and deposits on the heating element.
How to properly clean the FEN from scale. video specialist:
How to Disassemble the Ariston?
The peculiarity of water heaters of firm Ariston consists in presence of a flange of the oval form.
- Disconnect the boiler from the network;
- drain the water through the return port;
- Remove the cover from the bottom of the unit;
- Pull out the thermostat carefully so as not to damage the gasket;
- Access to the oval flange.
Before starting to pull out the flange, it is necessary to unscrew the nuts on the bar, remove it, pull outward the heating element with a twisting motion and only after that remove the flange. You can’t do it any other way.
In order to replace and properly install the flange, photograph its position in the neck of the water heater in advance. Otherwise water will leak all the time.
Types and arrangement
Water heats up to 60 degrees in 70 minutes. The only wet heater must operate at 220 V voltage at water pressure up to 8 bar. Gas boiler for 200 liters of flow type Marco Polo Gi7S 11L FFI is a worthy competitor to the above electric devices. Here are its main parameters:
- The total power of 22 kW;
- heating water 75 degrees;
- fluid pressure from 0.6 to 8 bar;
- The amount of moisture heated per minute up to 11 liters.
It is noteworthy that this model illustrates the clearly impressive features that have other. already electric. devices from the Italian manufacturer, belonging to the high price class. Provides reliable protection against overheating and automatic diagnosis of problems in the device. The system is able to regulate its power smoothly, change the intensity of water flow and its temperature. It is possible to supply the programmed amount of water. Open heating elements, including those in the tank capacity of 15 liters, can heat water faster and are relatively inexpensive.
Tips for disassembling the construction and cleaning the wet heating element
Before you start cleaning the boiler, the device must be dismantled by pulling out the heating element. To do this, first remove the decorative plate that covers the contacts and the place where the element is fixed. It can be screwed down or fixed with clips. Having reached the internal elements, it is recommended to photograph them, so as not to have problems with the subsequent restoration of the system.
Disconnect all contacts, and then remove the heating element. If the device has not been descaled for a long time, act very carefully. The accumulated dirt can not easily remove the heating element. It is not necessary to pull it, it is better to try to gently unclog the deposit.
Tip: When you get to the inside of the structure, it is recommended to assess the condition of the magnesium anode. If it is very thin, it should be replaced without waiting for the element to fail.
In most cases, layers of limescale are collected on the tubular part, and inside the tank it is not so much. It is enough to let the water flow to wash out of the boiler itself all unnecessary. If we can not clean the boiler in such a way, we will have to work with our hands. The main thing is not to try to facilitate the process by using aggressive abrasives. Only tried and tested safe means should be used.
To clean the layer of scale from the heating element itself, it is necessary to perform the following manipulations:
- Remove most of the dirt mechanically, using a knife or something similar.
- Next, in a tall glass made from a plastic bottle (just cut off the neck) dilute citric acid. For 2 standard sachets of powder about 2 liters of warm water.
- Place the heating element in this construction for at least 24 hours. This time will be enough for all the dirt to come off, and the heating element returned to its original appearance.
Recommended: 7 ways to hide the pipes in the bathroom
After these manipulations, you can assemble the boiler, test it and subject it to further operation.
How to disassemble the water heater Ariston
Using any water heater, and Ariston in this case is no exception, it is necessary to carry out regular descaling. In order to ensure that the unit does not fail in advance, it is recommended that once every six months to clean, and once every year or two to replace the magnesium anode. All this can be done with your own hands and it was previously described in the article Why and for what you need a magnesium anode in a water heater. But before you start to carry out cleaning measures, it is worth knowing how to disassemble the water heater Ariston.
These are the minimum preventive measures that you can do at home with your own hands and without the use of special equipment. Of course, when the heater fails, the temperature sensor or other serious problems arise, you should not take the risk and it is better to turn to professionals. Otherwise, everything depends only on you.
How to drain the water from the boiler: instructions
Disassembling and cleaning the electric tank. the work is not complicated, but the device itself is heavy. Therefore, it is better to remove it with another person, who will help and support the device during disassembly. Here are the instructions on how to drain the water from the boiler:
- Disconnect the device from the power grid, take the plug out of the socket.
- Disconnect the cold water hose from the water pipe and lower it into any container (basin, bathtub and so on). The tube that supplies hot water can not be touched.
- That hose that you removed, put it on the safety valve. Put the free part of the hose down into the tank.
- Open the taps of the device, and release the check valve safety.
- Open the hot water taps in the bathroom and kitchen. At first you will hear a sound as if the tank is drawing in air, and then there will be an ejection of the liquid that was in the device. That’s what you need to lower the hose into the pail.
- After all the liquid is out, blow air into the cold water hose. If there is no bubbling, you can continue on.
Recommended: Choosing the ironing board for the steam generator
Now unscrew the hose that supplies hot water to the faucet. Remove the water heater from its place and place it on the floor upside down with the taps. Move on to the next step of disassembly.
Typical water heater connection mistakes
Even if this is not your first time installing a boiler, read the installation instructions and remind yourself of the basic requirements and connection principles!