Kettle smells of plastic, what to do. get rid of the defect or throw away?
It happens that from the electric kettle emits an unpleasant smell of plastic. I don’t want to use it, because the water tastes funny.
- There is still some residual process oil in the kettle. If it is present, it means that the device was manufactured responsibly. Process liquid smells like plastic.
- Electric kettle, even one that is made of stainless steel, can have a specific aroma if it has been lying in an airtight package for a long time. After the appliance has stood in the air for a while, the smell should disappear.
- In the manufacture used plasticizers. substances that are added to make the body material stronger. Iron or ceramic product can also contain them in the presence of polymer elements.
- The source of the smell, a little like cinders, can well be a cheap dye.
Why the kettle smells like plastic
A new product quite often has a slight smell of plastic. This is quite normal and usually disappears on its own after a couple of days. If the water strongly reeks of plastic, perhaps the purchase should be returned to the store.
The reasons for the strong smell are due to the poor quality of plastic, which manufacturers often use to make various kinds of appliances and utensils. A pungent chemical odor indicates that the plastic emits toxins that are hazardous to health.
A new kettle can stink of plastic for these reasons:
- Residues of technical oil, which is used in the manufacture of plastic products, remain on its walls.
- Along with the kettle in a sealed bag was placed a product with a strong chemical fragrance.
- In the composition of the plastic added special substances that can prolong its life.
- Manufacturers used a cheap dye for plastic.
Plastic odor severely damages the quality of drinks. However, it is usually easy to get rid of this unpleasant appliance quality. It is enough to use only a few tips from experienced hostesses.
How to remove the smell from a new electric kettle
Almost all new kettles reek of plastic, and such an odor must be got rid of immediately. There are many effective methods how you can remove the smell of plastic in a new electric kettle.
For such purposes, it is not recommended to use household chemicals. Harmful ingredients in them can remain on the walls of the device and be absorbed into the body of the device. And this means that the liquid poured for boiling will constantly absorb harmful structures. This will lead to unpredictable consequences. Allergies, intestinal disorders, skin rashes are possible. So use only proven methods, from which you can not expect any tricks.
Such methods include folk remedies. They will rid the kettle of plastic odor, and at the same time preserve the health of others. Housewives can offer many proven and effective methods, because the problem of odors has existed for a long time. Folk methods are being improved, new remedies are being selected, the properties of which many people do not even think about, the ratio of ingredients is being reviewed, new compositions are being tried. Thanks to the hard work of hostesses, you can choose those preparations that are always on hand and can bring results.
Boil the water several times
The method is used for a new electric kettle:
- Wash the inside of the kettle with any dish detergent. It is not bad to take a dish detergent for children’s accessories. They are free of dyes and acrid aroma;
- Fill the vessel with water and boil it;
- Drain the contents and pour fresh water;
- Boil it again.
Repeat the boiling and changing the liquid at least twice. The plastic smell will disappear. Only after this simple procedure, boil the water in the kettle to use.
Important! An electric kettle made of quality plastic will acquire a pleasant smell of freshness and cleanliness after only three boilings.
- Pour a full kettle of water;
- Sprinkle 4-5 bags of citric acid;
- turn on the electric kettle; boil the contents;
- Leave it filled for 12 hours;
- After a while, bring the infused composition to a boil again;
- Drain the lemon mixture and rinse the kettle.
Instead of citric acid packets, you can add the juice of 4 freshly squeezed lemons to the water. The remaining steps are performed in the same way as in the previous case.
Warning! Lemon peel is as good as lemon in the fight against plastic odor. Do not throw the peel away, but use it as needed.
- Take several lemons and peel the skin of each.
- Fill the second part of the appliance with zest.
- Fill to the top with water. Boil the mixture.
- Turn off the appliance, and infuse the composition for 12 hours.
- Then boil the mixture again.
- Drain the remaining liquid, remove the skins and thoroughly wash the appliance.
The powder is indispensable in the home. It can be used for any cleansing work. Soda is also used to remove odor from the kettle. The procedure is uncomplicated, but effective:
- Fill the appliance with water.
- Add 3 tbsp. л. soda.
- Boil the mixture.
- Wait half an hour.
- Boil the water which has cooled down again.
- Drain the water. Run the kettle under running water.
Algorithm of combating the aroma of plastic vinegar:
- Pour water into the kettle.
- Add half a cup of 9% vinegar and 2 tbsp. л. Essences.
- Heat it until it is almost boiling so water does not splash from the spout.
- Turn off the appliance, wait a moment, then turn it on again.
- Repeat the procedure several times.
- Rinse well under the faucet.
Load the leaves into the appliance, add water and bring to the boil. Cool and boil again. Then drain the water and wash the appliance.
After the water is boiled with the bay leaf, spice particles remain on the kettle filter. Wash the kettle thoroughly and leave it with the lid open to allow the aroma of the laurel to evaporate.
Some hostesses use original methods, about which we should tell. Everyone has drank Sprite soda water, but had no idea it was used in the home to clean dishes. Someone tried to clean the kettle of extraneous flavors, and the method caught on among the population. Fill the kettle with the drink and bring it to a boil. Repeat the boiling process three times. Drain the water into the sink, and rinse the kettle well with clean water.
Another rare method of cleaning the electric kettle from the smell of plastic is the use of sauerkraut. Fill one third of the kettle with cabbage and top up with water. Bring to a boil, turn off for 3 hours. Remove the cabbage, drain the brine and wash the appliance thoroughly.
Having tried one of the methods, everyone will agree that removing the smell of plastic from the kettle is not a difficult task at all. But only if the device is made of quality materials. Otherwise, the purchased electric kettle should be urgently replaced.
How to get rid of with the help of special compounds
Get rid of the unpleasant smell can be done not only with the help of folk remedies, which, incidentally, some people do not trust, but also with the help of special household substances. Now in stores you can easily find effective powders and gels from different manufacturers.
The German company Topper offers its own solution to the problem. It is non-toxic, fragrance-free, gentle on materials, and the reputation of the German quality has long been on everyone’s lips.
add 100 milliliters of detergent;
Pour everything into the sink and rinse the kettle thoroughly
How to clean Electric kettle | ever best method in Urdu/Hindi
Agent from the German manufacturer is designed for coffee makers and teapots, to remove traces of scale from the inner surfaces. Made on the basis of citric acid and HPAV. Magic Power for teapots is an environmentally friendly, biodegradable and odorless agent. It has a liquid form.
Drain the solution and wash well the inside of the kettle;
Pour clean water into it and bring it to the boil;
How to clean an electric kettle
An economical tool designed to wash coffee makers and kettles from scale and preventive cleaning of the inside of the devices. Easy to use:
After 5 minutes, pour 150 ml of detergent.
Pour and thoroughly rinse the inside of the appliance.
Causes of unpleasant odor in the electric kettle
A newly purchased kettle may emit an unpleasant odor from the used materials and auxiliary substances that were used during the production or packaging of the product. In most cases, you can get rid of them quickly enough by boiling water 2-3 times.
The following factors can be attributed to the occurrence of unpleasant odors in electric kettles:
- the use of cheap plastics and dyes that were used to create plastic;
- The use of paint that has not had time to fully weathered from the painted parts (if they are present on the finished product);
- the residue of the technical substances that were used in production;
- The materials in which the product traveled and was stored.
Tip! If a chemical odor is strongly felt before buying an electric kettle, it is better to put it aside and buy another device. Such a purchase will be a short-lived acquisition, as immediately openly hints at the low-quality composition of components. And the cheapness of the device will result in the replacement of the device.
During operation, the smell in the kettle can appear due to several reasons. Some of the most common include:
- Problems with poured water. Causes can be inadequate filters or poorly purified water coming from the water supply.
- Stale water. The problem occurs if the water tank has not been washed for a long time or the liquid has been in it for several days.
- Odor-causing substances or objects inside or on the outside of the kettle. For example, on the heating element.
Ways to eliminate plastic odor
It is not difficult to solve the question of how to get rid of the manufacturing smell of plastic in the kettle. It is enough to rinse the kettle with cold water and leave it open for 2-3 days. After that, you should boil the water in the kettle, which should preferably be drained afterwards. The kettle is completely ready for use. Even easier to remove traces of technological oil. The kettle is rinsed with hot water, after which it is necessary to boil water in it, which is not reused.
If such manipulations did not help, you can use folk methods to eliminate the unpleasant aromas of new kitchen appliances.
Lemon or citric acid
For a single cleaning you will need 2 sachets of citric acid or 2-3 lemons, which should be pre-cut into small slices. Lemon must be dropped into a kettle filled to the top with water and boiled. After this, the contents of the kettle should be left for 12 hours, re-boiled, drained and rinsed the kitchen appliance from the inside with cool water.
This method is simple and reliable, but has certain contraindications. Acid can corrode some plastic parts and leave stains on metal elements. As a rule, this applies to cheap kitchen appliances that use low-quality components.
Important: Do not increase the dose of acid, hoping to get rid of the unpleasant flavor faster. A high concentration of lemon juice can cause tangible damage to the best and most expensive appliances.
The bay leaf is also an excellent helper in the fight against unpleasant odor. The principle of action is almost identical to the previous option:
- 10-15 bay leaves dip into the kettle;
- Pour water to the maximum;
- boil water;
- leave the water with the bay leaf for 2-3 hours;
- Boil the decoction again and leave it again for 2 hours;
- Drain the liquid;
- Rinse the inside with cool water.
Baking soda and vinegar for odor
What to do if the electric kettle smells of plastic, but you do not have at hand a bay leaf or lemons? Vinegar or common baking soda will help.
For 2 liters of water you will need 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda. Fill kettle to the top and boil. Let the solution sit for 2-3 hours and boil it again. Then the water must be drained and the kettle thoroughly rinsed.
Vinegar solution is not boiled, but just bring the water temperature to about 80-90 ° C. Let the solution cool down and then repeat the procedure 2-3 times. This recipe uses both vinegar (2 tablespoons) and table vinegar (100-150 ml). Calculations are for a 2 to 3 liter kettle.
There are several exotic ways to remove the persistent smell of plastic from the kettle. Among them is the use of carbonated beverages. Sprite” and “Coca-Cola” are the most popular. They include citric acid and other ingredients that can fight problems such as limescale, dirt and unpleasant aroma. The recipe is extremely simple. the kettle must be filled to the top with a drink and boiled. After cooling, the procedure is repeated 1-2 times more. After cleaning, the kettle is rinsed with running water.
Despite dubious predictions, sugar can also help with the problem of unpleasant odor from a new kettle. In this case, prepare a sweet solution, you should add 70-100 gr. sugars. Boil the water once, let it cool and drain it. Among the unpleasant moments of such a procedure. traces of burnt sugar on the coil or the walls of the kettle, which is difficult to remove with a light rinse.
There are several other popular techniques on how to remove the smell of plastic in a new kettle. The most daring can try surfactants with. In most cases they promise a good effect, but require a more thorough and prolonged rinsing. Brine from sauerkraut is rich in acid, which means that it is easy to get rid of any flavors except your own. Brine is also recommended to boil in the kettle, which will provide an unpleasant stench directly during the procedure, will hang in the air for a long time after its completion and with great difficulty can be removed already from the kettle.
The simplest recommended remedy is considered activated charcoal, which does not require boiling or other manipulation. You just have to put it on the bottom, after which the kettle should be closed tightly, covered with a towel or plastic wrap. After 24 hours remove the activated carbon and rinse the kettle.
How to fight the smell of plastic
If the new kettle smells of plastic, then use the tried and tested methods to remove it:
- Take the juice of 3-4 lemons and pour it into the kettle. Fill the kettle to the brim with water and boil it. Let the liquid remain in it for 24 hours, then boil it again. If it still smells of plastic, repeat the procedure several times.
- You can also use lemon zest. Fill the kettle to half of its volume with it. Pour clean water and bring to a boil. If the unpleasant odor does not disappear, then repeat everything again.
- You can take 2 tablespoons of 9% acetic acid solution, or 100 grams of table vinegar, fill the kettle with water and bring it to a boil. After this cleaning it will no longer smell like plastic. After the procedure, the electric kettle must be rinsed well, so that vinegar does not get into the drinks to be prepared.
- Take 3 tablespoons of baking soda, dissolve it in water, pour it into the kettle and boil it. If the smell does not disappear, this procedure should be repeated several times. The “plastic” smell should disappear.
You can use these methods to get rid of the smell of plastic. If the electric kettle also smells of plastic, it means that non-food plastic was used for producing the equipment, and it should be returned to the store or thrown away. Using such an electric kettle is bad for your health!
Recommendations for care
Odor in the new kettle is a common occurrence for products that have not been in use. It is impossible to determine whether it will disappear, so it is important at the stage of selecting equipment to find a product without flaws. Although it is difficult to do, it is still possible to minimize the risks.
The first thing to do is to refuse from the questionably cheap equipment. It is made of low-quality plastic, and therefore you will have to immediately worry about how to remove the smell of plastic from the kettle. Experts believe that it is better to choose equipment made of stainless steel. The material does not affect the taste of the water, it is durable and resistant. Additionally, a stainless steel housing has a better tolerance to heat and cleaning agents.
No matter how good the quality of the kettle is, it needs careful care. Its characteristics depend on the material from which the product is made. Stainless material, glass and plastic need different approaches. The kettle needs to be cleaned regularly from the inside, descaled, aired and rinsed.
Today it is impossible to imagine a kitchen or office without an electric kettle, so the problem of unpleasant smell is familiar to many. People remove it in different ways, each of them good in its own way. Folk remedies are preferred, as they are the safest.
Proper care of the product will prevent the occurrence of extraneous odors and various contaminants
To avoid unpleasant odors, it is better to choose a stainless steel product