Installation of heating radiators with their own hands: in a house or apartment, banding schemes
To make an independent installation of heating radiators, you first need to understand the peculiarities of installation of different types of batteries (aluminum, steel, bimetallic, etc.).д.), determine what tools and materials we will need, learn the rules of attachment, tying schemes and other aspects of this seemingly simple matter.
How to take into account all the nuances of the installation of radiators of certain models and avoid mistakes. about all of this we will talk below.
Installation of heating batteries is a very responsible task for builders. Its successful solution depends on many factors, ranging from the type of heating system, thermal calculation of the premises of the building and ending with the right choice of type of batteries and their connection schemes.
There are many options for installing heating radiators.
It depends on the type of piping with a coolant, on the strapping of the heating devices and even on the material of the envelope structures.
Modern market of heating equipment in Russia is filled with a wide range of radiators of different classes, designs, sizes. In each case, whether it is the replacement of old batteries or connection of radiators in a new building, install devices must strictly follow the instructions, developed on the basis of regulatory documentation. SNiP. With some skills to properly install the heating system of an apartment or private home with your own hands is quite possible to the homeowner.
What radiators are better to put in the apartment: cast iron, steel, aluminum or bimetallic??
Let’s understand, what radiators are better to put in the apartment with central heating system
Anyone who starts a major repair or dreams to improve the efficiency of heating in your apartment, usually attempts to completely replace the heating devices. The modern market is rich in offers, so the question arises reasonably. what radiators are better to put in the apartment??
What to give preference to: the old proven cast iron radiators or the new steel, aluminum and bimetal devices? You can get the answer only by comparing technical characteristics of these heating units and compare them with the parameters of the central heating system, through which most apartments in Russia are heated.
Features of the central heating system functioning
Requirements for radiators are formed by operating heating system. As a rule, most of the apartments in Russia are served by the central heating systems. Therefore it is necessary to choose the devices, the specifications of which are identical to the parameters of their work.
- A central system is a complex of equipment working in a closed circle. The central heating unit produces heat, which is then transported through branch lines. To ensure transportation, forced circulation is used. The pumps create the pressure that helps to bring the heat carrier to each apartment. Its performance varies everywhere, but experts note that on average, heating devices must be able to withstand pressure of 16 atmospheres.
- When choosing radiators, you must take into account that the pressure of the heat transfer fluid is not constant. It can fall or rise considerably forming dangerous water hammer. Therefore, the material from which the radiators are made, must be strong and reliable.
- Any radiator must operate under conditions of frequent filling and draining of the system.
- Breaches in the mothballing of the central heating system during the summer periods are not uncommon. They should not become a cause of failure of radiators.
- And one more important fact. Given the percentage of wear and tear of the existing equipment, you can not discount the poor quality of the coolant. There are special technical impurities, debris and rust in the hot water supplied by the central system for heating apartments. The former reduce heat loss during transport of the coolant. And the second quickly clogs the risers and the inner body of the radiators. Heating devices must also cope with this difficult task.
- It is also useful to take into account the peculiarities of the piping in apartments and the materials of which it is made. As a rule, most engineering accidents occur due to poor compatibility of metals and materials by which the selected batteries are connected.
What types of radiators exist today?
Once the peculiarities of the functioning of domestic systems have been formulated, you can proceed to the study of the existing range of heating devices.
Each type has its own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. But only technical characteristics can condition their use. Therefore, let us dwell on their description.
Technical parameters of cast iron heaters
Until recently, cast iron radiators were the only products that allow you to organize water heating in apartments. Every city dweller is familiar with these heating devices.
This Battery Claims It can Store Energy in RUST!
over, they were once developed by designers specifically for central heating systems.
Therefore, according to their technical characteristics, cast iron options are fully suitable for operation in the designated mode.
Their test pressure is 18 atmospheres. Cast iron. nondescript material, which has a large heat capacity, high inertness and works perfectly in combination with any pipes. It is the least exposed to corrosion and does not react in any way to changes in pH of the heat-carrier, that is why cast-iron radiators are often installed where the pH is 7-9 units.
Note! The design of cast iron batteries allows the use of any number of sections. In the event of need to repair the battery can be removed, dismantled, clean the inner body, it is easy to add or remove sections.
The long service life of cast iron radiators is their most important advantage. The inner walls are not covered with rust because a special black sediment is formed on them when interacting with water.
It does not allow the oxygen present in the hot water to manifest its destructive effect. There are no oxidation processes, so the metal does not suffer.
It breaks down, of course, but very slowly.
On the outside, such devices are usually covered with resistant paint compositions that prevent surface deterioration. Thus, the cast-iron radiator is so far the only long-life radiator capable of serving faithfully for many years.
As a rule, cast iron radiators do not bubble, there are no gas formation processes in them, and therefore it is rarely necessary to bleed air when using a heating device.
Ease of maintenance, reliability, durability. the main parameters that encourage many consumers still choose these heaters for the installation of the heating system in the apartment despite their disadvantages.
Designate them all the same. Why cast iron radiators have become “persecuted”? That is why their appearance does not fit very well into the decor of modern interiors. The devices look very bulky and have a lot of weight.
This makes installation difficult and forces the use of heavy-duty mounts, which cannot be installed everywhere. The disadvantages should also include the inertness of the metal. Cast iron radiators heat up very slowly, but they do not cool down for a long time.
With the instability of the central system and frequent shutdowns, this disadvantage becomes a positive quality.
As an alternative to cast iron models, aluminum and steel batteries have appeared on the market relatively recently. Can they be used where there is a central heating system?
How much does it cost
per unit, the price depends on the margin of resellers and the region.
On the domestic market cast iron radiators from foreign manufacturers (Italy, Czech Republic, Spain, Turkey) are also available. Such devices differ from domestic ones in different indicators. For example, the capacity of a section of the Czech battery Termo is almost twice less. 800 milliliters, while in the domestic MS 140 contains 1.4 liters of water.
Nostalgia radiator (retro) in the interior
The price of one section of foreign cast iron radiators in rubles is as follows:
- Brand Kiran 92/500. from 335;
- Manufacturer Viadrus termo 500/95. not less than 450;
- Firm Nostalgia (retro) 500/180. from 2120;
- Demrad brand 350. not less than 400 per section.
Differences between cast iron and aluminum batteries
The central heating network can hardly be called a favorable environment that suits any type of metal. On the contrary, the coolant in it is often not only aggressive, as it is highly acidic and corrosive, but also highly contaminated. For this reason, some types of radiators are not recommended for installation in apartment buildings with a central heating method.
Replacement of cast iron batteries with aluminum analogues in apartment buildings is not the best option for upgrading the heating system. There is a simple explanation, which is best conveyed by comparing the technical indicators of these two metals.
|Type||Design||Type of connection||Volume||Corrosion resistance||Working pressure||Building height||Guarantee||Heat output|
|cast iron||sections||side||old:1.5 l new: 0.8л||high||9-12 atm.||5 floors||10-30 years||110 W|
|aluminum||sections||lateral||0.2-0.27л||low||15-18atm.||5-9 stories||10 years||140-180 W|
Therefore, the question of how to replace a cast-iron battery with an aluminum model in an apartment building should not even be asked. They are not an alternative to each other. Here to change the cast iron to aluminum in a private home. this is a great opportunity for a little money to significantly increase the heat output of the heater, thereby reducing the cost of heating.
How to determine the number of sections
Manufacturers-producers, specialists in the field of heating equipment offer to calculate the number of sections, using precise algorithms, which are already based on the quality of the material, and territorial features of the premises.
But there is a more simplified formula, using which you can quickly, accurately and correctly calculate the required number.
Pay attention! To determine the number of sections for a cast iron battery, you need to multiply the value of the room area by 100, and the result, which turned out to divide by the power used by the section, measured in watts.
Experts advise to adhere to such rules:
- If the result has a fractional value, round it up. Rounding must be done upwards. Such a technique will compensate for the lack of heat in the room;
- In a room with windows, it is necessary to divide the number of received sections by two radiators. This solution will extend the life of the heating system, which contributes to the effective blocking of cold air coming from the window;
- For rooms with high ceilings and two outside walls, it is advisable to add a couple more sections to the received number for reliability and prevention of heat loss.
The most crucial moment in the installation of the radiator is the preparatory measures. How well the radiator is dismantled and what tools are available depends on the outcome of the replacement procedure.
Choosing the radiators
The first thing to do is to decide which radiator will be installed instead of the old one. The choice is made on the basis of:
- The pressure indicator in the heating system;
- The chemical composition of the heat transfer medium;
- level of heat dissipation;
- heating time and t. д.
Improved models of cast iron batteries are particularly popular in recent years. Buyers appreciate the value-for-money ratio of the appliance. But the choice can be made between steel, aluminum and biometric radiators.
Necessary tools and supplies
Heating radiators installation is made in several stages. For each will need the following tools:
- Two wrenches: wrench and adjustable;
- Machine for cutting metal pipes;
- Clupp for threading or die with a holder of the desired circumference;
- Welding for polypropylene pipes;
- Scissors or a hacksaw for cutting polypropylene pipes;
- Level, pencil, ruler;
- Plumbing linen;
- Material for sealing joints;
- Cement mortar.
From the components in the process of installing the radiator will need:
- heating radiator itself;
- ball cocks;
- brackets to hang the radiator;
- Meyevsky cocks to bleed air;
- pipes: can be made of plastic, polypropylene or steel;
- Accessories for installing pipes. tees, adapters, elbows and fittings.
Dismantling of old batteries
The procedure for removing the defective radiator depends on the plan of further works. If you only need to replace the radiator, then twist the threads from the battery or resort to a grinder if the threaded connections are knocked down and do not function.
In the case where along with the heater you need to replace the heating pipe, then cut the entire structure. The procedure is performed at a distance of 15-20 cm from the flooring and the ceiling.
Transferring the markings on the wall
Prepare the base by transferring the markings on the wall. To do this:
- Outline with a pencil the place where you plan to place the battery.
- Make a hole for the holding brackets.
- Take a level and check the evenness of all lines.
5V Single Cell Aluminium-Air Salt Water Battery
In the last step you can glue foil (or other foilized material) to the wall over the entire area of the radiator. This increases the heat output of the battery.
Tools and necessary accessories for installing radiators
If it is decided to make a decision to replace the batteries yourself, it is necessary to prepare some tools and additional component parts, with the help of which the installation of radiators in the heating system is made.
Of the tools you will need:
Tools for installing heating radiators
Clupp. a special tool for threading pipes of various diameters
Of the accessories required to purchase:
Prepare elements to connect the new radiator with the pipes
Assemble fittings together, connect the euro nut with a nut radiator, in the joints use tape or fum-tape.
Assemble the second set of elements in the same way (note that in the first case, the tee will look down, in the second. up) and twist everything with the pipes.
Fixing the radiators to the wall
If instead of the old heavy “accordion” to install a new cast-iron radiator heating with their own hands, these hands should be at least four. Although the new generation of batteries in this metal is half the weight of older models, a section weighing 4-5 pounds requires effort and care in handling. Cast iron has always been famous for its fragility, so neither drop nor hit these products should not.
The most important part of the work is fixing cast iron heating radiators to the wall. This will require:
- Determine in advance where the batteries will be located.
- Mark on the wall with a pencil where to mount the brackets.
- Drill holes in the marked locations and insert the dowels.
- Screw fixtures into the prepared dowels and secure it all with sealant or cement mortar.
There must be no deviations in the position of two or more brackets. During the entire period of work it is necessary to check their uniformity with a construction level, and only after it has shown the norm, finally fix the fasteners.