Installing the induction hob by yourself: Features and safety
Built-in kitchen appliances are only becoming more popular every year, because thanks to such a compact arrangement of interior objects a lot of free space is freed up. Every housewife wants her kitchen to be as comfortable and spacious as possible. The use of modern appliances with the latest technology often raises questions related to their compatibility in close proximity. That’s why many people wonder if it is possible to install an induction cooktop directly above the oven. Today we will try to find out whether such a neighborhood is really dangerous, how is the installation process of these devices.
The main thing the owner of an induction cooktop must understand is that the device consumes a lot of power. For safe transport of power it is necessary to correctly calculate the parameters of the cable. The device should only be connected through a separate line for the trimmer. It is conducted from the common switchboard of the apartment or from the electric meter.
The use of conventional household outlets to connect the hob is not allowed. Line for the power trimmer carried copper three-core cable. This may be a modern wire VVGng-Ls (does not support combustion, low-smoke) or conventional NYM. But the main parameter that is calculated for the power line is the cross section.
According to existing standards, 6 kV cable is used for connecting induction cookers. mm. This is a solid core wire. This cable characteristic describes the ideal case. The wire can withstand any, within the average parameters of stoves, the load for a long time, without overheating.
There are enough online calculators on the Internet, which allow you to calculate the parameters of the cable according to the power of the connected device. Use these tools is useful when the stove is installed, as they say, once and for all, without the possibility of replacing it with a more powerful. Or if you want to save some money, you can choose the optimal parameters of the power line for a particular device.
Approximate values of cross-sections are as follows:
- units up to 3.5 kW will require a cable with a cross section of 2.5 kV.mm;
- for stoves up to 5.6 kW will be suitable wire section of 4 kV.mm;
- power up to 7.2 kW requires 6 kV cable.mm.
If the furnace consumes 40A and above (the data is listed in the data sheet to the device), to connect it will need a wire with a cross section of 10 kV. mm and above.
But what to do those who do not have the opportunity to lay a separate line for trimmer power to the panel? That is, you can not put a hole in the wall or otherwise run the cable? In this case, you will have to connect the furnace to the normal network of the apartment. It is important to find out what power it can handle.
To ensure safe operation of the panel, you will have to accept the fact that it will not operate at full power. Most modern devices have the ability to adjust the modes. Connection is made in accordance with the following rules:
- In the switchboard is installed automatic circuit breaker, which corresponds to the allowable current (power) wiring, not the panel;
- The panel is programmed so that its maximum currents are not exceeded, or the mode is blocked inclusion of several burners simultaneously.
Another rule that is recommended to follow when laying the line and connecting the oven is simple: you do not need to lay too much stock. This means that for an oven up to 3.5 kW it is not necessary to lay a 6 kV wire.mm. It may simply not fit into the terminals of the panel.
The preparatory step is very important when installing the panel. On the correctness of calculations, according to which is performed mortise, depends on the safety of the kitchen set and the appearance of the room as a whole. Error of even 1 cm can cause damage to the countertop.
It is advisable to refer to the measurements prescribed by the manufacturer in the instructions.
The dimensions of most panels are the same. 55-57 cm. It is necessary to pay attention to the size of the hole for the installation of equipment. To take certain measurements will need a tape measure. The panel is turned upside down. Then the length and width of the equipment on the inner edge is measured.
It is worth noting that the instructions indicate the minimum indentation from the edge of the countertop. It is not recommended to reduce it, but you can increase it. Failure to follow this rule may lead to a broken surface.
Before you cut the recess, you need to make sure that the necessary distances between the stove and the surrounding objects have been respected. These figures are usually prescribed in the worksheet.
How to properly cut out a place in the countertop for the stove
Be sure to follow the exact parameters of the panel itself, for this you can use the template supplied with the instructions. It is necessary to take a large angle to depict a rectangle on the desktop.
The first thing to take care of is an electrical outlet 220 volts, which will be used for the built-in hob.
To make the holes, find a saw with an appropriate blade. By means of a peorator, a drill is required first to drill small holes along all corners of the rectangle.
The process takes approx. 10 minutes. How to cut the worktop correctly for the hob.
The choice of the location and the installation must be done before assembling the furniture.
- Determine the contour of the hob.
- Place the installation on a part of the table.
- Draw the middle on the prepared flat surface, mark the line for the mortise trimmer.
- Place spacers underneath for an accurate result.
- Leave 5 cm between the hob and the worktop.
- Create the start holes.
- Make cuts along the lines (jigsaw work).
- Position the hob in the marked hole.
- Secure with self-tapping screws, connect.
- Check and observe the results.
In addition to the hob, the cooking suite includes an oven. Thus, having studied the instructions and the rules, everyone can cope with the task before him.
When to remove the built-in hob
Built-in hob is usually removed in the following cases:
- The gas burner does not burn or the flame is weak. the cause is insufficient oxygen supply or too much carbon. It is eliminated by disassembling the burner unit, the air ducts are cleaned, which provide the flame with a sufficient flow of oxygen;
Disassembling and cleaning the gas appliance
The disassembly of the built-in hob is not very difficult. In the case of a gas cooker design without the involvement of qualified personnel is extremely difficult, because must comply with all safety measures SNIP, PPB and electrical safety regulations.
Connection steps of the gas stove hob
The equipment installation process takes no more than an hour, most of the time is spent on preparatory work and calling a master for the conclusion.
The use of an electric stove or the ignition function requires a connection to an electric supply. It is necessary to install a separate socket connected to the circuit breaker on the switchboard
Wiring is made, taking into account the recommendations of the manufacturer. If you need to connect two appliances, you will also need two flexible leads. separately for the panel and the oven. Tapping carried out by employees of the gas service
To install the panel on the countertop cut a hole. To simplify installation work, you can order a countertop with a hole to the specified dimensions. If you plan to install the oven, you must also prepare the cabinet
Independently carry out checks for leaks and put the gas equipment into operation is not recommended. There is a procedure for calling a specialist, which can not be violated. The inspection results in a permit to use
Behind each step is a lot of preparatory activities: the purchase of gas equipment and related materials, coordinating the time to call a specialist, preparing the kitchen modules for the insertion of appliances. Consider each step separately to prevent possible mistakes.
Installing an Induction Cooktop
Step 1. Prepare your equipment and tools
We advise to buy the hob in advance. If this is not possible, you need to know the exact dimensions. Usually all 4-burner models comply with the standard 5060 cm (/- 2 cm), 3- and 2-burner, respectively, less in width.
The installation requires a kitchen cabinet with a minimum working width of 60 cm, leaving at least 5 cm of countertop at the edges of the panel for stability and durability
In addition to the gas equipment will need to buy the following materials:
The fasteners for mounting are usually supplied with the unit, so you do not need to buy them.
If you decide to firmly fix the hob on the countertop, a sealant will also come in handy. a universal compound for any kind of material: stone, wood, metal
From the tools you will need a standard set, which usually has every home handyman: a pair of gas wrenches, screwdriver, pliers. If cutting of metal pipe is required, it is the responsibility of service organization representatives. do not perform any operations with the gas supply pipe yourself.
Step 2. cutting a hole in the worktop
Knowing the exact dimensions of the hob, you can make a hole in the countertop beforehand. Of course, in a factory they would do it more professionally, because it is very important to cut a neat rectangle with right angles and even sides.
If you adjust the length and width of the hole “to size” and align the edges perfectly, the hob will stand firmly and without the use of sealant
The help of furniture workers will come in handy when the tabletop is not made of particleboard, fiberboard or wood, but of a more durable material. artificial stone.
If you have decided to make the hole yourself, you must use a light and efficient tool, for example a jigsaw.
- Specify again the size of the panel, study the scheme of installation.
- Make a marking on the countertop with the recommended distance from the wall.
- Put a paper adhesive tape around the perimeter and use a pencil or marker to draw the outline of the piece that needs to be removed.
- Use the jigsaw to cut a hole. It is recommended to make the near cuts first, then near the wall, and lastly the side cuts.
- Remove the cut out piece of the worktop.
- If you have the panel on hand, make a “fitting” right away.
If the countertop material is crumbling at the cutting points, you can treat the edges with any adhesive, but first you need to sand and vacuum. Sanitary silicone is used for particleboard. it additionally protects the edges from moisture.
Silicone sealant forms a film that will eventually separate from the particleboard, so many people use waterproof (index 3D) PVA glue
You can also use thermofoil or a reflector of aluminum tape to prevent the impact on the countertop of high temperature.
Step 3. connecting the panel to electricity
Modern hobs are equipped with an electrical ignition function, so you must install a socket for power.
Often, along with a gas cooktop set electric oven. To connect an appliance up to 3.5 kW you will need:
- three-core cable Vvg-p 2,5 mm;
- socket for 16 A with grounding;
- If the kit does not include a connecting wire. cable pvs 32,5 mm and plug.
Higher wattage ovens require a 3.5 mm cable and a 40 A socket.
By the standards, the height of the socket. no higher than 90 cm, while it must not be at the same level with the cooktop.
The socket is mounted on the wall below the worktop, and if the oven has a blank wall, a free access opening must be cut out
For protection in the electrical switchboard install a separate RCD or a difautomatic device. separately on the fishing line for the gas equipment trimmer for cooking.
Install 36″ Bosch NGM5654UC Cook Top On Granite
Installing the socket is done in a standard way: first of all fix mounting box in the wall, then connect the terminals, then fix the decorative panel on top. Read more about installing outlets for electric stoves in this material.
- the manufacturer recommends using the services of a professional electrician;
- on the underside of the appliance there is a plate with the technical specifications for the electrical system, from which no deviations may be made;
- the electric cable must not be twisted, crimped, laid near sharp corners;
- After installation work, it is necessary to insulate all conductive elements and protect against accidental contact.
Making the markings
The task of the installer is to place the panel strictly over the cabinet, taking into account that there is no margin in width.
There are only two ways to make the markings:
For the domestic method does not require the use of special tools, the work is done “by eye”. The panel is placed in the center of the countertop and circled with a construction pencil. This method is not safe, there is a risk of damaging the kitchen unit.
The second option is suitable for patient assemblers, it takes a sufficient amount of time to perform the calculations. This method minimizes the risk of error.
- The process begins by drawing the inner boundaries of the countertop, above which the hob is to be positioned. On the countertop, lines are drawn to form a rectangle;
- Next, the center point of the existing rectangle is calculated. From it you should draw a system of coordinates. A cross is marked, one of its lines for the trimmer should run parallel from the front edge of the tabletop, and the second perpendicular to the same base as the first;
- The coordinate system obtained is used to measure the size of the part to be cut in. Here you need to carefully measure the panel itself, taking into account a small margin, it will allow to carry out the installation strictly in the center;
- After the dimensions, it is required to draw lines, there are four of them. The result is an even rectangular shape, the tabletop is prepared to properly cut out the seating.
Calculations are made, the place for cutting is marked, then we move on to the next stage, no less interesting.
Step by step instruction for installation
A 220V socket is required to install the electrical recessed appliances. It is desirable to make its installation in advance and choose the most suitable location before installing the headset. The electrical socket must be positioned lower than the built-in appliance. Following this rule prevents splashes of water and grease from getting on it during cooking.
To build in a new furniture set, you will need a set of tools to make holes in the body and the countertop:
- electric jigsaw;
- construction knife;
- tape measure;
- Screwdriver set;
- gas wrench;
- Use pliers;
- After positioning the hob on the worktop, check that all the fasteners are in place.
Fixing elements are included, they are attached according to the instructions. Attachment to the worktop is carried out after preparing the holes. Fixing the hob is made in the following sequence:
- Lay the gasket.
- Install the hob, it should rest on the countertop.
- Tighten the fastening strips at the bottom.
- Cut off the projecting parts of the sealant with a knife.
Preparing the hob for installation
The hob before installation should be unpacked and check the availability of all fasteners. The electric panel can be plugged in to check its performance.
Marking the countertop and cutting the hole
On the worktop, a cut-out must be made to suit the installation position of the appliance. detailed instructions are included by the manufacturer. It is recommended to make a layout of cardboard, if it is not included.
- Layout is placed on the surface of the table and outlined with a pencil. 1-2 mm between the boarding part and the edge of the table. the gap that must be respected.
- For a thorough marking it is necessary to prepare a pencil and a ruler. If the table top is made of pressed sawdust and the top layer is decorated with artificial stone, it is not recommended to cut a hole closer than 5 cm to the edges in the table top. Otherwise, the thin sections will quickly deteriorate.
- Drill a hole in the corners of the marked area using a drill. The 8-10 mm drill bit is suitable. The tool should be kept perpendicular to the surface during work.
- It is recommended to install an electric jigsaw nozzle designed for wood. Thanks to the fine teeth the cut will be obtained without chipping. The tool blade is inserted into the prepared hole and sawed along the line of the marking. The jigsaw must be pressed firmly against the surface.
- Then the built-in appliance is tested. It must fit into the prepared hole without difficulty, a small gap must be allowed. If the hole is not big enough, the edges should be trimmed to the proper size.
- The ends of the hole should be protected from exposure to moisture. Therefore, at the preparatory stage, the walls of the kerf are lubricated with sealant. To complement the protection, it is recommended to cover the ends with heat reflective adhesive tape or foil. Then the sealant supplied in the set is glued.
Installing the hob
To attach the hob to the countertop, it is carefully inserted into the prepared hole, and the junction is lubricated with silicone sealant. Do not force the recessed appliance into the surface until the edges are flush with the table surface.
Exercise care when installing the appliance, particularly if it is made of glass. Particular attention should be paid to the flatness of the countertop. Otherwise, if heavy objects are placed on the surface, cracks form.
The final step of installation works. fixing the panel with the help of special complete clips. Clamps are attached at the bottom, thus securing the cabinet. Sealant that has leaked out must be removed. If there is a plan to install an oven nearby, it is necessary to put an insulating layer between the devices. The gap between them should be at least ten centimeters.
Connecting the panel
Devices can be gas and electric, so there are different ways to install them.
Connecting a gas cooktop
Before installing the furniture, a flexible hose is connected to the gas pipe. It is not recommended to connect the bellows hose directly to the gas valve. They are connected by means of plumbing fittings or connectors.
- Before connecting the gas hose, a string of twisted linen is wound around the threads of the nozzle. Wrapping is made in a clockwise direction.
- After winding, the linen thread is lubricated with a special paste for gas equipment.
- Next, the flexible gas inlet nut is screwed on, and it must be tightened using a gas spanner. The element is screwed to the stop, but without excessive force. A gasket is inserted inside.
Choosing a place to install
As for the preparation of the installation site, you need to think in advance where to put the oven. Often use the classic location of the device, when the oven is under the stove. But these days you can break the standards and use the rule based on the ergonomic arrangement of furniture and ease of use of appliances. On this basis, the oven can be placed above the countertop. As a result, the kitchen will comply with the new popular trend, and control the process of cooking will be much easier.
If the house has no problems with electricity, you can do without grounding, but in some buildings it is obligatory.
At the end of a few more recommendations from the masters:
How to properly verify that the technique works
And the final stage of installing any oven is to check its work and the first startup. You just need to connect the oven according to the instructions and make sure that everything works. The appliance must be started up at full power. On the sensor indicate the temperature and wait for the factory grease from the inside of the oven to burn. Most likely, there will be smoke. There is no need to be afraid, it often happens at the first start-up. The oven is ready to use.