Mobile floor air conditioner installation with one’s own hands
To create a good microclimate in the home or office, there are different devices. Among the air conditioners should be noted compact mobile. These floor models quickly conquered the market. And all because the scope of their use is somewhat larger than usual, from VIP rooms to indoor awnings. Their summer rentals are in great demand. It’s not just the price, it’s mostly the mobility.
Portable conditioners are divided into two kinds:
- With a closed cycle. evaporative condensing models in which the refrigerant circulates through a closed circuit. They are shaped like a pedestal.
- with open cycle. floor air conditioners of evaporative type with phase transition.
Cooling of the air in such models takes place due to evaporation of the refrigerant in the open space. They are installed according to the principle: bought, brought and plugged in. Place such models against the wall. They are somewhat similar to a suitcase. Equipped with wheels and a handle for mobility.
One can meet conditioners of the cassette version, which are mounted in a false ceiling. In this case, it is difficult to call them mobile. After all, mobility is the ease of installing a mobile air conditioner with their own hands, without the need for any additional work. All you need to do is to plug them into a socket.
And now let’s consider in detail each model.
What to pay attention to when choosing a mobile air conditioner
Floor-type conditioners are less popular than wall-mounted models, but they still create a worthy competition and have many advantages.
Manufacturers produce mobile floor air conditioners of different models. While choosing the climatic equipment you should pay your attention to several important criteria.
- Optimal productivity and capacity of the device taking into account the square of the premise. For example, for a room of 25 m 2, a model with a capacity of 1-1.5 W.
- Energy efficiency class. The maximum possible. A, but if the owner wants to save costs on the operation of the device, it is better to choose a model of class A.
- Operating principle. linear or inverter type. Linear models work with pauses, automatically shut off when the temperature reaches the set temperature value, and when the temperature deviates a few degrees from the set parameters they start the operation mode again and work at full power. The inverter conditioners quickly reach the set temperature, but do not turn off, but go to a lower capacity mode, always keeping the necessary temperature in a room according to the set value.
- Control System. Many devices are equipped with the remote control to control the modes, which is convenient for the owner. Otherwise, you will have to use the control panel on top of the cabinet to set commands.
- Options. The air conditioner can both cool and heat the air in the cool season. Humidification, ionization and drying can also be useful.
- Enclosure Size. Determine in advance where the unit will be installed and calculate the optimum size of the unit. The monoblock of a floor standing air conditioner must not be close to other types of equipment or furniture.
In spite of the big choice of mobile conditioners, all of them are divided into three main groups. with duct, without duct and floor-standing portable split-systems.
- Mobile conditioners with a duct have in their equipment a corrugated tube of big diameter which should be conducted out into the street. Hot air will be expelled through it. It is recommended to install such models near the window.
- Conditioners without a duct can be installed in any place. However during operation of such conditioner it is recommended to air a room regularly by opening windows for free penetration of air.
- Portable split-systems consist of two compact monoblocks, connected to each other by a flexible hose, through which the refrigerant flows. On the principle of work they do not differ from the wall-split-systems, but unlike the latter they should be installed on the floor.
Also there are mobile conditioners with two air conductors, which are equipped with two tubes: one for air ejection and the second one for taking fresh air from the street. The buyer should decide beforehand which variant suits him the best.
How to install an air conditioner on a balcony? Install the unit inside or outside?
Hello. I want to install conditioner at home. I consulted my neighbors, who already have one. They suggested me to install the outdoor unit on the balcony. it would be cheaper to install, no need to call a truck lift. I heard that the installation on the balcony is prohibited. Do you have any advice on the right way to do this??
Before to answer your question I would like to clarify the main principles of work of domestic conditioner.
A traditional home air conditioner consists of two main units. the indoor unit (evaporator), which absorbs and removes heat from the room, returning the cooled air, and the outdoor unit (condenser), which releases the absorbed heat to the outside. The heat-exchange process is fulfilled by the exchange route between both blocks, as a rule it is copper pipes, filled with liquid with high heat-absorbing characteristics, freon is used more often.
If we take into consideration the process of cooling of premise, which is used much more often in summer period, the more difference between temperature in premise and temperature, ordered by you by control panel of air conditioner, the more heat will be emitted from outside split unit, and that means that heating of unit itself will be stronger.
You should always remember about it when installing outside unit inside balcony or loggia room. If your balcony is glazed then the heat accumulation will become excessive, the temperature inside will rise up to the level of steam room in a bathhouse, and the device, having its protection degree against overheat, will simply switch off.
The situation is easier if the balcony is not glazed. will meet all the requirements of the device on the heat exchange with open access to the outside environment, but sooner or later you will in any case, think about glazing a balcony or its repair, then the reinstallation of the outside unit will incur additional financial and time costs. That is why in spite of the convenience of installation, and consequently. its cheapening at the moment of installation, it is always better to mount the outside unit to the outside wall of the house.
In practice there are cases where the installation of the unit on the outer wall of the building is not possible for some reason, often it is forbidden by the managing companies. the facade of your building may face a busy avenue, be covered with expensive materials or your house may be of historical value to the city. In such cases it is recommended to install the block into the insertion of balcony parapet or from its outer side. In this case you should remember that air conditioner unit is rather weighty device, so it is necessary to control the installation of additional reinforcing armature.
Pros and cons of an apartment without a balcony
When deciding if it is worth buying an apartment without a balcony, one should decide how much this part of space is necessary in the apartment and what are more advantages or disadvantages of such purchase.
What do not suit tenants who bought an apartment without a balcony?
- Lack of storage space for seasonal items: skis, bikes, winter tires and other unnecessary junk.
- Drying laundry is best done outdoors. can’t argue with that. No modern dryers and air conditioners will give the laundry frosty fresh air.
- Lack of opportunities to expand the area, add a couple of useful meters. another disadvantage of apartments without a balcony. The Cabinet for reading, a winter garden and a simple smoking room can’t be organized.
- You have to go down into the yard to get some fresh air. Especially acute feel this problem the mothers of children who could take the stroller on the balcony.
- When selling an apartment without a balcony will cost less.
What are the advantages of an apartment without a balcony?? There are far fewer than disadvantages, but they are there. They say that without a balcony in the room is warmer and the light penetrates into the room better. But the main advantage is in the cost of such housing: most likely, the balcony will not be included in the total area of the apartment, and it will cost less, unless we are talking about a modern new building with bay windows.
As you can see, the inconvenience of not having a balcony is much more, so, despite the trendy European construction trends, most Russian developers continue to implement projects with balconies or loggias.
Choosing the place for the outdoor unit
The place for the outdoor unit must follow certain rules.
The following installation conditions exist for balconies:
Advice! It is better to place the outdoor unit on the non-sunny side of the building.
- The neighbors must not suffer from the noise of the fan;
- The wind should not blow the fan in;
- It is not recommended to install the unit near trees, because during the fall of leaves the ventilation slots can be clogged;
Cheap & Best 1 TON Portable Air Conditioner A/C of Summer 2022- Review for High Cooling Test | LLOYD
- Specific requirements for condensate drainage. The collected moisture must not get on the facade of the house. If there is no possibility of drainage to the sewerage system, a special vessel is used, which is periodically emptied.
The stages of installation of air conditioner on the balcony / staircase
Installation of split-system on balconies and loggias is performed step by step according to the generally accepted rules with the use of special tools.
Installation of the external unit on the balcony:
How to install portable air conditioner in sliding windows
- At the chosen place the marking of the fixing place of the unit is made.
- Fixing of plugs.
- A line for the power supply trimmer is prepared.
- The installation box is fixed.
- Then you need to install the indoor unit, after which you can proceed to the installation of the outdoor module. It is installed on special heavy-duty brackets and fixed with wall plugs.
- At the following stage the connecting line, connection of an electric cable and laying of a drainage hose are made.
When the climate control equipment is installed, it is necessary to vacuumize the system with evacuation of air from the pipeline and to check hermeticity. Before the test run of the air conditioner you make settings. Efficiency of work of the equipment is checked in different modes.
How to avoid mistakes
Many buyers of climatic devices, wishing to save a budget, realize installation of blocks by themselves. Such experience often has negative consequences.
The main mistakes of installation of air conditioner on the balcony:
- Improperly chosen place for block fixation.
- An outer block is installed without preliminary measurements, and as a result the construction is in uneven position, when the condensate flows not into the drainage pipe but onto the balcony floor. Also noise and vibration of the unit during operation can intensify.
- Poorly connected pipes to the units, which leads to a leakage of freon.
- The wrong diameter of pipes is smaller than necessary and the resulting pressure level is insufficient. This leads to poor air conditioner performance and can cause a rapid failure of the compressor.
- The absence of distance between a box and the wall and it leads to overheating of the unit.
Any mistakes made at installation, decrease the efficiency of the system, lead to malfunction and fast breakdowns of the equipment.
It is better to entrust all works on installation of split-system blocks on balconies and loggias to experienced specialists from the service center.
When installation is justified?
Indeed, in some cases installation of an outside unit on a balcony is permitted due to prohibition of the managing company on installation of air-conditioning equipment on the building facades or if the building represents historical, artistic or any other city value. But many owners, in order to save money on the length of the freon line and installation, install air conditioning inside the balcony, not realizing the consequences it can lead to.
https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=3yvEPCYaRwQ Advantages of installation of the external unit of the split system on the balcony
- Easy installation. Installers will appreciate the convenience of working on a solid base, possibly reducing the price of the unit installation.
- Internal block of split-system is under “protection”, that is why it is less exposed to atmospheric precipitations. One can not spend money for purchase and installation of a canopy.
- The conditioner will not be suddenly blown off by a sudden chunk of ice from the roof. There are no Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
- Good access for service of equipment, cleaning from dust and so on.д.
- The minimum length of the line will greatly facilitate the launch of the entire system and reduce the amount of drainage.
In general, one should not have problems with installation of air conditioner on a loggia or on a not glazed balcony. All requirements for the operation of this climatic equipment for heat exchange with open access to the outside environment will be met. Disadvantages of such installation
- The main disadvantage of such installation is that the balcony must not be glazed. Taking into consideration the technical requirements and safety rules, three window sashes should be opened on the glazed balcony during operation of a conditioner, and one of them should be opposite to the condensing module.
- At a decision to install an outside unit of an air conditioner on a balcony, you should be ready for organization of a forced outlet of heated air and increase of power of your air conditioner. The point is that in calculating the power, most likely, did not take into account the heat fluxes that will affect the served room through the glass into the room. And these factors will significantly increase the cost of the whole project.
- The outer block of an air conditioner on a glazed balcony will heat up to 45° C rather quickly, and then the automatic system will shut it down due to overheating.
- Outdoor unit with a system of brackets. it is quite a big structure, which will take up a lot of space.
- A working air conditioner is quite a noisy technique. The noise of the motor can even be heard in the room.
Even if your balcony is not glazed, sooner or later this question will arise before the owners of the housing, and the transfer of the condensing unit will entail more substantial expenses.
Installation of a mobile air conditioner
The installation of a mobile conditioner in an apartment will not take much time and does not demand any special knowledge from the owner. Since outwardly such climatic equipment most of all looks like a small box on wheels, it is enough to install it on a flat floor surface, to take outdoors the corrugated duct coming with the device complete, which is designed for heat rejection and connect the device to the household power grid. All, you can enjoy the coolness in summer, and in a cold season the same device can operate as a heat fan, heating the air in the house.
Important! While installing it is necessary to take into account that mobile conditioner can be installed not closer than 30 or better than 50 cm. from walls. Besides, when installing this climatic equipment it is necessary to make sure that the air intake grilles are not cluttered up with furniture or interior items.
In fact most of our readers are more interested in the question, not how to install mobile conditioner, because all this is described in detail in the instruction to the device, but where we can take the notorious hose for the discharge of warm air. The specialists of our company will try to answer this question in this publication.
The complete set of the closed-cycle conditioner includes two corrugated hoses with sockets. This point requires a separate explanation.
Let’s have a closer look at the new, just turned on stationary. At first it “flails”, or continuously with short breaks to cool the compressor if there is an asynchronous motor, or at full power if the motor of high frequency with power from an inverter. Then it gradually calms down and starts to turn on by the degree of heating of the room. Why is that?
The evaporator, as it cools down, draws in more and more chilled air, t.к. only the cold cycle is in the room, and the hot cycle is all outside. But in a mobile, the cold and hot circuits are all in one housing! That’s how to separate them and need a thick bulky corrugation.
Consumers often neglect this circumstance, and just take the hot corrugation out the window, see the “hot corrugation”. Fig. below. And they find out that “the condenser burns like mad but cools like a full-blown brake”. Why? Yes, because instead of the expelled hot technical air warm outdoor air keeps coming into the room and the whole system can’t get to quasi-stationary mode, as it is described above.
Incorrect installation of mobile air conditioner
Then the “condo” is taken out on a balcony and made to blow the coolness in its open door or one of the ducts is adapted to the window of cold air and put in a window sash, plugging the slots with whatever it is. It’s getting cooler in the room, but it’s still “eating like crazy”. Because the cold cycle is broken between the two rooms, on the balcony, the intake and exhaust of technical air is partially mixed and the room can not cool down to an optimum. In general, it’s like driving a stationary with the windows wide open.
The correct installation of the mobile closed loop is shown on the trail. rice. By the way, in full accordance with the recommendations of manufacturers. But to do this, you have to modify the window opening, which means SMR, which is not to the taste of many. By the way, if we are going to make an upgrade, it would be better to have the intake and outlet of techno-air vertically and farther away from each other, as the scheme in fig. right. Then mixing of streams will be excluded at any external conditions.
Correct installation of mobile conditioner (at the left) and optimal location of ducts of techno-air in window opening (at the right)
Let’s bring ourselves to mind
But here with time we discover the unpleasant circumstance: “conditioner” is feeding more and more, but it is cooling more and more lazily. Revision of the system reveals the cause at once: A condenser radiator clogged with dust. We take the air from outside! And the radiator, for the sake of compactness, make with a minimum margin on its total area.
Self-made filter made of sintepon does not solve the problem: it clogs instantly, and the counter in its place in front of “gives gas”. Not much, but it burns up a lot in a month. And you need to buy sintepon; after washing it goes to the rag.
The way out was simple, but it is necessary to lay out about 2 thousand more. This is if the external radiator (see Fig. Fig.) new. On the car flea market you can buy used car cheaper.
Mobile conditioner with an additional radiator
The radiator, as you have already understood, is automobile. From any bad microcart. “Oka”, “Tavria”. It is connected to the regular sockets on the bar in a window aperture by pieces of alumina wire of the same diameter as the complete one. Outlet pipe of radiator 6 must be above air inlet 3 to have condensate flowing into the conditioner’s sump.
The fan. regular, 12 V. It is possible to buy a household one, if you have a punctured radiator in a garage trash. Holes, of course, need to be sealed. If you buy a domestic fan in the absence of staff, but you need to choose with sickle-shaped blades and disk ratio of 0.25-0.7 (see “Installing a mobile air conditioner in an apartment”). Fig. below); such will give a stream of air of the necessary density.
Note 7: propeller’s disk ratio is the ratio of its blades surface area to the swept disk area.
Household fan to an additional radiator
Fan power. 20 Watt per 1 kW of heat power of air conditioner. Whether it blows air or draws air, does not matter. Automotive ones work on the exhaust to use the speed pressure. Purchased domestic, of course, must work on blowing; on hood need other configuration and profile of blades.
With such modification a mobile “condenser” will be equal to a stationary one with the same thermal capacity. the degree of fouling of additional radiator is visible at once; cleaning is brushing dust off with brush and that’s all. Without disassembling the “condenser” and even without turning it off. In 3-5 minutes. nothing will happen to it after the fan stopping.
Work, of course, will have to, and buy something else. But compared to the cost of the stationary, including overhead SMR, it is nothing. And it will cool the same way, for no more than 15k Including the extra costs.
About the noise
If to rummage around of the noisy “conditioner” with a measuring microphone and a pso phometer (a device for measuring parameters of sound), it will be found out that the main sources of noise are nozzles of the hot contour. Which should be, because it is the compressor that makes the most noise. If you take them outside, as the manufacturers recommend and as described above, the noise of the “conditioner” is no louder than a kitchen hood.
Open cycle air conditioner above is not called an office air conditioner for nothing. It is in offices already created conditions in which it will really cool, good and very cheap. How can he do that??
The heat of vaporization of water is 2256 kJ/kg. That’s a lot, and a very small amount of water evaporation can cool a huge volume of air; its heat capacity is 0.8382 kJ/(kgK). Т.е. One gramme of evaporated water will cool down by one degree more than 2.5 litres of air, and its relative humidity will remain within the optimal range in terms of medicine. Why then do they write about closed air conditioners with the slogan: “Don’t let yourself be fooled?”