Causes of ice and snow
Snow in the refrigerator or freezer compartment is often formed for reasons unrelated to appliance malfunction. These include:
- Incorrect mode selection. Setting the intensive frost function in summer time leads to the formation of the thick snow coat. Check that the regulator is set correctly. Some users believe that the more the fridge freezes, the longer the freshness of food will be preserved. This is not the case, because turning on the intensive mode increases the load on the compressor and puts the refrigerator out of operation.
- Drip system functions properly. In such refrigerators, frost occasionally forms and thaws on the back wall.
- Improper operation. Ice is formed by placing hot foods and liquids in open containers. Evaporating moisture settles on the walls. When the compressor is running, the droplets freeze, while the motor is resting, the water melts and is drained out through the drainage hole. If there is a lot of condensation, the snow coat persists for a long time.
- Contamination of the defrost system. Drain holes clogged with food remains, mold and dust. Regular cleaning of the fridge helps to avoid the damages. And preventive cleaning of the drain (once a month), with a cotton swab.
- Overloading of the freezer with food. If the workpieces are compacted very tightly, the motor has to work for a long time to reach sub-zero temperature, because of this, frost and ice can appear in the upper chamber. In this case you don’t have to worry, as soon as the freezing cycle is over everything will defrost.
Overview of the main problems and tips for fixing them
If there is ice in the refrigerator, then before you throw your hands up in your head and sound the alarm, check the position of the knob of the thermostat. Maybe you overheatedly set it to full or super-freezing mode. If it is confirmed, turn the regulator to the position corresponding to the minimum or middle temperature of freezing. Observe for a couple of days how the refrigerator operates and whether it continues to generate excessive cold. If the position of the regulator is on the minimum, but the refrigerator still “freezes the soul”, it certainly indicates the presence of technical problems. As a rule, they require a master from the service, because they cannot be repaired at home.
In the best case, if you are lucky, the master will fix the breakage at once in your presence. But, often, the refrigerator will have to be taken to a workshop. However, there are certain malfunctions that you will be able to fix. The same applies to the elementary rules of operation, which are recommended by the manufacturers of refrigeration equipment.
Things that can’t be fixed by yourself at home:
- Freon leakage. it is necessary to have special equipment and skills, at that it is possible to charge freon at home with the participation of service master who should, first of all, find and eliminate the crack through which the refrigerant has escaped
- Evaporator malfunction. may be repaired or replaced
- Thermostat, air thermostat, heating element or solenoid valve malfunction. to be repaired or replaced with new
- Compressor malfunction. repair or replacement. It is worth mentioning that the compressor is nearly the most expensive element of the refrigerator mechanics, and its repair or replacement can cost one third or even half of the cost of the refrigerator. What to do in this case is up to you. Sometimes it’s easier to buy a new refrigerator
What you can do with your own hands at home:
- Find the right place to install your refrigerator, away from heaters, stoves, and direct sunlight
- Do not open the refrigerator unnecessarily and do not leave the doors open for a long time
- Thaw and wash your fridge-freezer with a manual defrosting system on a regular basis
- The door adjustment for the refrigerator tight closing
- The door gasket wear and tear can cause the door not to close properly and warm air to get in and as a result, freezing in the refrigerator compartment
Why the ice appears in the freezing chamber of Samsung No Frost fridge
Samsung household refrigeration equipment intended for the storage of food is equipped with special systems that prevent the formation of ice on the surfaces. If the Samsung No Frost refrigerator ice and frost forms in the freezer compartment, then further use of the product leads to damage to components and costly repairs.
When it is normal
In drip-type refrigerators, the freezer compartment is periodically covered with ice; the same applies to the rear surface of the main compartment. Other causes of this phenomenon, not related to malfunctions, are considered:
- Incorrect mode selection. If there is ice in the refrigerator all the time, it is worth checking the position of the temperature regulator. Selecting the intensive mode in summer time leads to incorrect operation of the compressor.
- Improperly loading the food. Ice forms on the freezer wall when storing liquids in open containers. Part of the water from juices, soups and milk evaporates during air circulation and forms condensate. Droplets freeze while the motor is running. When the compressor is resting, the ice thaws and the water is drained out through the drain hole. If the moisture content increases, the appliance will not function properly.
If the device is operated correctly or the chamber of the Know Frost refrigerator is covered with ice, it is necessary to engage in troubleshooting.
Causes not related to malfunction
First, find out the cause of the problem and find out if your refrigerator is broken.
The list of omissions that you can fix yourself:
IMPORTANT ! Detecting ice that is freezing on the back wall or in the freezer of the unit, you should not chop and unscrew it with a knife. There is no need to tear it off with your hands either. The walls of the device are thin, easy to damage, and expensive to repair.
Violation of operating rules
The appearance of frost or ice is not always associated with the failure of the device. Sometimes it is enough to carefully read the instruction manual and follow the rules prescribed in it.
Freezing of the refrigerating compartment panels, or “furring” of the freezer of such appliances as “Indesit” (“Stinol”), “Atlant”, “Biryusa” without system of dry freezing, not always can mean some malfunction. They simply need to be defrosted systematically: in summer once every 2 to 3 weeks, in winter once every 2 months. Density of defrosting is directly connected with the intensity of use. The more often the door is opened, the shorter the defrost intervals are.
WARNING! In the refrigerators with drip system it is necessary to defrost the freezing chamber manually. There is nothing automated.
If the frost on the evaporator starts to freeze and spread. defrosting is necessary.
You should not fill the device with food right away, at first it has to work idle (about half an hour). This makes it easier for it to reach its operating temperature. This is most critical in the summertime.
The Ariston, Bosch, Liebherr, Nord, Electrolux, Snaige and other brands that are equipped with the No Frost system should not be defrosted. They have a fan blowing dry air, which prevents ice from freezing on the back wall of the cabinet and in the freezer compartment. In such units, the formation of 2-3 mm of frost is not worthy of attention. Most likely the temperature is too low or the door is opened frequently and the condensate has time to freeze.
Top tips for dealing with water on the back wall of your fridge
IMPORTANT ! Hot and uncovered (especially liquids) food should not be placed in the refrigerator. Thermal sensor instantly reacts to a sudden temperature rise and sends a signal to turn on the motor. At the same time, it will take longer than normal for the compressor to run. The result will be frost damage. The same reaction is caused by overloading the refrigeration cabinet.
Failure to observe the temperature mode
Cooling mode at maximum. Many people believe that the higher the temperature in the room, the lower the temperature should be set inside the appliance. This opinion is wrong!
Superfreezing on. Some units have an automatic shutdown of this mode. If not, you should remember to turn it off yourself. In such, almost continuous, mode the unit freezes much, and can cause freezing of ice and frost on the rear wall of the device.
TIP! The cold in the refrigerator is in no way related to the room temperature. When it is very hot, the thermostat setting must not be turned all the way up!
Loss of airtightness
In case when not only the rear panel but also the side panels start to freeze, these are the signs of depressurization of the device. This means that the rubber seal has lost its original properties. If it is torn or cracked, replace it.
Causes not related to malfunctions
If the refrigerator is not operated properly, the walls of the chambers can also freeze or be covered with snow.
There may be several reasons for improper operation:
- The freezer is clogged up to the point of failure. Water drips and freezes.
- Open containers with liquid.
- Incorrect temperature control. If food begins to freeze, the temperature must be raised.
- The refrigerator doors open frequently. Constant warm air entering keeps food from cooling properly.
Causes of icing on an undamaged refrigerator
To make sure that the appliance is working properly, you must eliminate the possibility of improper operation. Besides the individual peculiarities of each model, there are general rules for each appliance. Snow on the back wall of the refrigerator is often a manifestation of irregularities on the part of the user.
Violation of the rules of operation
Mistakes in the use of freezing devices improper storage of products. Three common violations:
- Impatience of housewives, which leads to the fact that not cooled food ends up in the chamber. Ice frost on the back wall as a consequence.
- Liquid that is not covered gets inside and then circulates and turns into hoarfrost.
- Overloading the freezer causes the formation of drips and later frost in the top of the refrigerator.
Thus, it is recommended that only cooled food in an airtight package be placed in the chamber.
Failure to observe the temperature regime
Another reason for condensation is the setting error.
According to the stereotype, the super-freezing mode allows better preservation of food in summer. This is not the case. When unfrozen food loses its healthy properties.
Selecting too intensive a mode overloads the appliance, especially in the summertime. This approach will cause more damage than freezing.
Loss of sealing
If the doors are opened frequently or are loose together, there is a loss of airtightness.
When warm air enters the chamber on a regular basis, it is disturbed. The appliance constantly has to work to lower the temperature.
If no abnormalities in the use of the appliance have been observed, the need for repair is obvious.
When the evaporation from food stored in the chamber works properly, condensation freezes when the motor is running and then melts. When the compressor shuts off, liquid drains out into the collection tray.
Frost appears and disappears on the back of the appliance when it is working properly. This should not be a concern, because it is the norm. But a steady and growing crust of ice should be a real cause for concern. Masters of repair of refrigeration equipment say that the problem occurs for two reasons: improper use of equipment and breakdown.
Sometimes the appearance of ice is not due to a broken refrigerator, other causes are possible.
Quite often the formation of ice on the walls is caused by improper use of the fridge.
To avoid this, do not put hot foods and drinks in it. Because of them, a lot of moisture appears in the chamber and ice is formed.
Failure to observe the temperature regime
The problem is usually caused by keeping the cooling system on high during a warm period. It is not a good idea to do this: the temperature inside the refrigerator is independent of how hot it is in the room.
Important! We should not switch on the super-freezing function for a long time: in this case the motor works at full power, and this can lead to its rapid wear and tear.
If refrigerator door is opened too often or does not fit fully into the cabinet, it can lose its seal.
When air from outside often gets inside the chamber, it leads to malfunctioning of the. Also it is impossible to leave the door of the device open for a long time.
Ice can freeze if the rubber band on the door does not stick all the way to the cabinet