The refrigerator is heating on the sides, why and what to do?
Many people are familiar with this problem not by hearsay. When suddenly it is discovered that the refrigerator is very hot and its wall is hot, a real panic begins. In fact, there is no need to worry in advance. It’s easy to tell if there’s a breakdown or if the unit is in normal working order.
Before answering this question, it is necessary to understand how exactly our indispensable kitchen helper works. The back wall of some models of refrigerators is equipped with a special grid, which is called a condenser. When the engine is running, it gets hot, and after it cools down. Many modern refrigerators do not have such a grid. Or precisely, it simply cannot be seen because it is located not outside but in the inner walls. Because of this design feature, the unit becomes warm on its sides. This innovation not only improves the appearance of modern appliances, but also helps them operate more efficiently and for longer periods of time.
The freezer is by definition at minus temperatures. Frosty air comes out of it in places where the door is against the cabinet when the refrigerator is opened. In cases where the sealing rubber is deformed, this happens all the time.
Condensation forms on the walls during the hot season when the room temperature is high. Mould and fungal growth can form on the seals after a short period of time under these conditions. The body of the refrigerator will begin to rust. To prevent all of this from happening, there are condenser tubes in the walls of the unit. These help prevent moisture from evaporating in time.
Please note! The norm is considered when the walls are heated only when the appliances are in operation. If the refrigerator is still hot after the motor has stopped, it is necessary to contact the master.
The most common reasons why a refrigerator heats up can be presented as the following list:
- The refrigerator is working in intensive mode, the option of fast freezing is on. The compressor in these cases runs continuously, so the walls simply do not have time to cool. As soon as a mode shutdown occurs, their temperature will drop.
- The unit is in a room where the temperature is too high. To avoid overheating, you should ventilate the room more often during the hot season. You should also avoid direct sunlight on the refrigerator. It is better not to place the unit near a window that cannot be closed during the day. Heating appliances are no less of a neighbourhood evil for the refrigerator.
- Obstructed or completely absent air exchange. The operation manual of any refrigerator model specifies the distance between it and the wall, which is necessary for the effective functioning of the equipment. Despite the fact that it is often difficult to comply with these recommendations (small apartments dictate their own conditions), it is still better to adhere to them. Otherwise the refrigerator will systematically overheat and very soon you will face the day when you will have to call for specialists.
- Too much food in the refrigerator and opening it frequently. This increases the heat exchange, forming a “wall” of warm air.
- Placing uncooked food on the refrigerator shelves also causes the temperature to rise.
Samsung refrigerator has hot walls
The modern Samsung refrigerator models also lack a grid at the back. It is located on the sides and securely hidden under the sheets of metal. Accordingly, when the heat is removed from the chambers, the unit is heated on both sides. This happens most often after plugging in new appliances, after stacking food, or after freezing.
The compressor lowers the temperature in the chambers, so it works for some time without stopping. After the compartments have cooled down, the grid will begin to cool.
Should the compressor be hot?
As with most electrical appliances, there is a certain “operating temperature” for the compressor. Depending on the model and design, it can be from 60 to 90 degrees Celsius, but no more. Taking into account this fact, we can conclude that the compressor should really be hot when working, and sometimes even heats up to quite high temperatures. However, if it “heats up” to a temperature of over 90, it is an obvious sign of malfunction.
Important! In addition to overheating, a variety of factors can indicate that the compressor is malfunctioning, such as light electrical discharges when touching the surface of the appliance, insufficient cooling of the compartments, or ice crusts forming on the compartment walls.
If a working refrigerator began to exhibit similar symptoms. this is a reason to contact the repair company or the place of purchase for warranty service. It is worth noting that repairs under the warranty most often do not cover appliances that have mechanical damage, so you should be especially careful when operating the appliance during the warranty period.
Refrigerator is heating but not freezing
Both functioning and nonfunctional refrigerators heat up the motor. You don’t have to sound the alarm as long as the right temperature is maintained in the chambers. If the products disappear or, on the contrary, are overfrozen, or the sensors beep, and the alarm indicators go off. it is worth paying attention and listening to the refrigerator’s operation.
If the motor warms up, but does not freeze, there can be several reasons:
samsung fridge not cooling but light is on | compressor very hot | repair in hindi service | aasan
- Refrigerant leakage;
- Capillary system or filter-drier is clogged;
- Breakdown of the temperature sensor;
- The violation of heat output from the walls in rooms with high values of humidity and temperature.
If the circuit starts to bleed gas, the compressor works without interruption, constantly compressing air. Naturally, in this situation the answer to a question why the refrigerator compressor becomes warm very strongly is obvious. In this case, the motor is so hot that when you touch it you can get burnt, it gives its heat into the room. The evaporator becomes warm. Here is the answer to the question: why the refrigerator does not freeze, but its work can replace a full heating radiator. Of course, this is a joke. To use a refrigerator in such quality, at least, would be strange. If you need heating of the premise, it is possible to consider a variant with the conditioner working in a cooling and heating mode as an alternative.
If you can’t get the motor to start, it’s the compressor that’s causing it. Most likely the windings are short-circuited or there is a short circuit. As a result, the motor is warm, but it won’t start. At the same time you can hear the clicks of starting protection relay. In fact, in this condition, the refrigerator does not work at all. It will be necessary to replace the node, which, however, is connected with serious monetary expenses.
If a clog occurs in the capillary tube, the freezing chamber will become warm. Sign of malfunction. only first knee of condenser grid warms up and the other part of assembly is cold.
Electronics failure or breakage of temperature sensor can stop compressor from starting. In both cases, the unit will not receive a start command:
- Broken ECU does not give control signal;
- Broken temperature sensor incorrectly informs ECU that temperature in the chambers is normal, accordingly ECU does not give signal.
Causes that are not breakdowns, but cause the temperature in the chambers to rise:
- There is a lot of food loaded into the refrigerator at once.
- Pots of hot liquids are placed in the chambers.
- Refrigerator has not been defrosted in a long time.
- Fridge door opens too often.
There is no need to put hot food in the fridge
Of course, all of the above are not allowed if the goal is to extend the life of the refrigerator.
What to do if compressor overheats
If the refrigerator compressor is hot, but the device continues to work, it is necessary to check all elements.
- Measure the temperature in the refrigerator and freezer.
- Inspect the blower. It is difficult to get to it, because the device is covered with a protective casing filled with oil. The design of most units is the same. The main parts are the starter relay and the electric motor. The main sign of a faulty motor is a damaged winding. To check the relay, you must inspect the terminals, having previously removed it from its place.
- Often the refrigerator does not work normally because of damage to the power cable. Inspect the wire and plug carefully. Faulty cable is the easiest malfunction of the unit.
- You need to check the resistance. For this purpose, a section without enamel is selected on the housing. A multimeter should be attached. If there is no suitable place, you will have to scrape the paint from the housing. No readings should appear on the multimeter screen. If the appliance transmits any data, then the refrigerator may be electrocuted.
- Checking the Power Supply. You need a multimeter and a working relay for this. A 140 watt motor produces 1.3 ampere of current. This parameter ratio does not change when you change the power of the appliance.
- Check that the distance between the grid and the wall is 15 cm.
- You can adjust the height of the legs to level the refrigerator to the floor pull the food out of all the chambers. Follow the rules of food placement when loading.
- Check the quality of the temperature sensor with a multimeter.
If these tips don’t work, you’ll have to install a new compressor.
- Remove all food, shelves and storage containers from the chambers. The appliance is turned off and unfolded. The compressor in the refrigerator is in a dedicated recess at the bottom. Lift the part, unbend the pipes that conduct the refrigerant. Then the motor is moved forward. This procedure requires some care.
- The filling pipe is broken to evacuate all the Freon from the system. The broken edge of the pipe is squeezed and the blower is started up for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the refrigerant to flow into the condenser.
- Then a piercing valve is installed on the dryer. The hose from it goes to the cylinder. The valve is opened and all the Freon is drained out of the system.
- In place of the broken off tube, put 0.6 mm thick copper pad, 6 cm long. A tight connection is created using a blowtorch.
- All pipes are removed from the motor, cleaned and sealed with plugs.
- The new compressor is prepared for installation. The plugs are removed and all the pipes are connected to the cooling system. A filter drier is fitted to the condenser and then a capillary tube is inserted. All joints are soldered. There must not be any indentations or protrusions at the joints.
After installation, your refrigerator should be started up and checked for proper operation.
Important! Mistakes made during installation of a new compressor lead to leakage of fusion. It affects the performance of the appliance. Therefore, self-replacement is not recommended.
The rear wall (condenser) of the fridge is getting warm. Questions and answers.
Many people worry about the grid on the back of the refrigerator getting hot. Why is this grate getting hot and is it normal?? Can there be any problems associated with its heating? Is it necessary to clean the fridge rear wall?
The grid in question is called. condenser. The condenser plays an important role in the operation of the cooling unit. It’s what makes the heat transfer process happen. This part of the refrigerator is a coil of tubes through which the refrigerant flows. Can be attached mainly to the back of the refrigerator, but can also be concealed in the side walls of the foamed part of the refrigerator or underneath. Some models of refrigerators have an additional fan to maintain a normal condenser temperature. When the motor-compressor of the refrigerating unit is running, the condenser heats up, and when the refrigerator is switched off by the temperature, the condenser cools down. Therefore, to be frightened by the heating of the grid on the rear wall of the refrigerator. It is not necessary, this is a normal refrigerator operation process. The heating of the condenser affects only the serviceability of the refrigerator unit itself.
Dust accumulation on the condenser grill affects the refrigerator performance. It is required to periodically clean the refrigerator (if it is possible), depending on the dustiness of the room.Can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and brush, or with a damp cloth. Before cleaning, it is advisable to disconnect the refrigerator from the power supply. networks. Do not try to turn the thermostat dial to its maximum setting for a long period of time, as this will cause an additional load and consequently an excessive increase in temperature of the condenser. In this case, the heat exchange will worsen, resulting in higher temperatures in the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Clean the condenser carefully, taking care not to damage the tubes of its coil. After cleaning, when putting your refrigerator back in place, leave a gap of about 5-6cm between the wall. to ensure good air circulation.
The temperature of the room where your refrigerator or freezer is located is an important point. If the temperature in the room exceeds 29C, the load on the condenser motor and the condenser temperature will increase, making the heat transfer more difficult.
Fridge compressor heat up too much fridge not cooling what’s Problem How repair learn tips Tricks
Do not place your refrigerator near heaters (stoves, ovens, radiators and other heat sources) as this reduces the cooling capacity.
If direct sunlight falls on your refrigerator for an extended period of time, it is advisable to shade it with a curtain or drape for normal heat transfer of the condenser.
What to pay attention to
Worry in case of abnormal heating of the unit. There are a lot of reasons and “symptoms” are various. For example, hot back grill of the refrigerator can be in case of excessive formation of frost inside the freezer, in case of loss of tightness of sealing gaskets or absence of normal heat exchange of condenser with ambient air.
There should be not less than 5 cm distance between the condenser grill and the wall for the free air flow. A thick layer of accumulated dust, which is a good insulator, can also interfere with the heat exchange.
The bottom of the fridge is getting warm because of the compressor heating. In the normal operating condition of the household unit, it has a low temperature, but in some cases it begins to overheat. As a result are observed:
The compressor in the refrigerator gets very hot when it has to work for a long time without turning off. There are several such variants:
Pay attention! When the back grill of the refrigerator does not warm up, then there are more reasons to worry, because the consequences can be much more serious. This can be caused either by the lack of refrigerant or by the breakdown of the compressor. These malfunctions cannot be eliminated by your own efforts.
Refrigeration equipment heats, not freezes
The motor heats up in both serviceable and malfunctioning refrigerators. You need only begin to worry when the temperature in the chambers begins to rise or fall, that is. the food is spoiled or over-freeze. When the engine heats up and does not freeze, the provoking factors can be the following:
- Refrigerant leakage;
- Faulty temperature sensor;
- Dehumidifier-filter or capillary system clogging;
- Heat dissipation disturbance from the walls of the room with high temperature and humidity indices.
When the circuit is vented, the compressor operates continuously, without interruption, compressing the air. In this situation, it is not surprising that the compressor becomes very hot. The engine is so hot, if you touch it, you can get burned. Evaporator is picking up temperature and is also getting hot.
When the engine does not start. it is necessary to look for the cause in the compressor. often, an inter-turn fault or short circuit occurs. The result is the motor heats up and the starting protection relay “clicks” are heard and activates.
Warning! To fix the problem, the unit must be replaced, which is expensive.
When the capillary is clogged, the freezer will get hot. The symptom of breakage is that only the first knee of the condenser grill is heating up, while the rest of the assembly is at normal temperature (cool). Breakage of the thermostatic regulating sensor or breakage of electronics also can stop start of the compressor, in these cases knot doesn’t receive a start command. So, a broken ECU doesn’t send a control signal, and the temperature sensor erroneously tells the ECU that the temperature in the chambers is normal, which causes the ECU to not signal.
There are reasons that are not faults in the refrigerating equipment operation, but can cause increase of temperature in the chambers. Such factors include the following:
- There is an excessive amount of food in the refrigerator;
- containers with hot contents have been placed in the refrigerator;
- The doors are opened excessively often;
- The refrigerator has not been defrosted for a long time.
These are the violations of the standards of refrigerator operation that gradually lead to the accelerated wear and tear of the domestic appliances.
Prevention of malfunctions of the refrigerator motor-compressor
Components of the refrigerator compressor are divided into two groups. these are electrical (electromagnetic) and mechanical parts, which interact when the unit works. A starter relay is responsible for the safe starting of the system that smoothes the currents at the start of the motor. If the compressor starter relay winding is defective, then it does not work, does not send the current to the motor winding, and the refrigerator does not start. The proper operation, attentive attitude to the appliance, timely call of a specialist for repair can prevent this damage.
If you paid attention to the characteristic sign. the refrigerator compressor switches on and immediately shuts down, then keep in mind that it will not go away by itself. The reason of breakage can be a damaged relay, bearings wear and tear leading to motor jamming, emergency reset when the motor overheats. The most modern models of refrigerators can use the inverter principle of motor control, when the special block changes the current frequency. These are very complicated circuits, in which the price of compressor with motor and inverter is the highest among the analogues. The cost of replacing such a unit is almost two-thirds of the price of the entire refrigerator.
Watch the sounds and periods of operation of the unit. line circuit of compressor motor with starting relay is sensitive to voltage fluctuations in the network, use a voltage regulator.