Causes of damage to the heating element
The electric heater is a tube (there are different shapes), inside which is a spiral and dielectric.
There are two possible breakdowns of the electric heater of the washing machine:
- Internal. failure of the coil or dielectric. The heating element coil in the process of working of the washing machine now heats up, then cools down, so over time it simply loses its properties. The dielectric can start to let the current to the body of the machine.
- External. limescale. Unfortunately, the quality of tap water in the homes of many Russians leaves much to be desired. Even the installation of a special water filter does not always save the heating element from the accumulation of impurities on its surface hard water.
The manufacturers of washing machines recommend preventing damage to the heating element. to periodically clean it with special descaler.
Every housewife knows a popular method of cleaning the heating element. Powder collector poured citric acid, you need to run a long washing cycle without laundry at the highest temperature.
Changing the heating element in the washing machine
What progress has been made! Just repaired the refrigerator over the phone. My refrigerator was rattling. Threw the job on YouDo.
The repairman responded and wrote that there are several reasons for the noise. We should talk. Called. Asked a few questions. Asked to send a video with the noise. Then he said: “Move the fridge, there’s a plastic tray over the compressor, there are tubes in it. # These tubes are rattling.”Pulled it aside, bent the tubes away from each other, and there was silence. We’re so happy to be here
- Replacement of the heating element in the washing machine. masters on YouDo;
- 10036 experienced specialists are ready to perform the service;
- You set the price of the job in the category “Replacement of the heating element in the washing machine.
How to replace the front heater?
The heating element is replaced, it remains to check its work.
How to replace the heating element in the LG washing machine
Replacement of the heating element in the LG washing machine is required if the water during washing remains cold ? With basic skills with tools, you can replace the coil yourself, in other cases, it is worth contacting professionals.
How to Replace the Heater in a Samsung Washing Machine with Your Hands
The heating system of the washing machine consists of a temperature sensor, a tubular electric heater (TEN) and contacts that connect it to the electronic unit. Samsung appliances have good reliability indicators, but are not protected from wear and burnout heater during long and frequent use. Knowing the signs of failure, the order of disassembly and the right parameters of the part, the replacement of the heating element in a Samsung washing machine can be done independently.
Signs of failure
Functionality of parts and components in the washing machine is controlled by the automatic control. If the error code corresponding to the absence of water heating appears on the display, it means that there is a problem with the heating element. Signs of defects are:
- Lack of heating when running a program that provides for washing at a temperature greater than 30 ° C. Error code appears on the display after filling the tank. The automatic gas burner control system stops executing the program. The machine operates in modes that do not require heating without any defects.
- Automatic unit switches off after turning on the heater. Indicates a short circuit in the power section of the heating element supply circuit. If the automatic gas burner control system has a self-diagnostic mode, the malfunction is detected immediately and the automatic unit does not switch off.
- Safety shutdown device triggering. Occurs if the current leakage is more than 10-15 mA depending on the RCD setting. Failure may not appear at self-diagnosis, but occurs after heating the element.
The exact cause of the breakage of the heating element is determined after disassembly.
Before you disassemble the washing machine, it is worth performing a series of simple but essential steps that will ensure the safety of your work.
Disconnect the washing machine from the electricity by pulling the plug from the socket
Shut off the water supply to the water intake hose. To do this, usually make a separate valve in the cabinet, where the pipes of the general water supply in the apartment.
Open the lid on the front bottom of the machine and drain the water from the drain pump filter. Each machine has a separate large unscrewable cover for this purpose.
Before this procedure, it is worth preparing in advance micro fibre cloths and a basin to collect water from the floor. To put any flat container under the filter cover, as a rule, it is not possible due to too low height of its (lower part of the cover) location.
After draining the water, remove the filter and clean it from any debris. You might find some buttons or coins in there. Look into the hole, illuminating it with a flashlight. If all is clear, place the filter back where it was before and in the correct position and screw the lid on firmly. Reinstall the front panel by pushing down on the tabs.
Now, carefully turn the machine with its back to the entrance of the bath (most have the machine installed there), if the bath is cramped. To make it easy to do this, put a cardboard under the legs beforehand. Find the screws of the back cover of the machine and check whether there is something in the way of its removal. Make a note of the screws that hold the lid in place. Others are best left untouched. Loosen these screws and remove the cover.
It is worth noting that we consider the classic location of the elements of the washing machine, where the main repair work is done from the back side. But there are some models that have other arrangements. Please refer to the user manual to learn more about the construction of the appliance.
Do-it-yourself repair instructions
The procedure for replacing the heater of the washing machine is as follows:
- First determine which side the heater is located. Move the housing away from the wall and turn it toward you. If the back cover is large, it’s likely that the heater is wedged under the tank on the back side. This is less work. If the cover is medium-sized. through it you can get only to the belt of the washing machine, and the heater is clearly at the bottom, but at the front. You will have to completely disassemble the front panel, which will take more time than in the first case.
- Having determined the position of the heater, it is time to proceed to the disassembly of the case (see instructions for disassembling washing machines of different brands here). First disconnect the machine from the mains so you do not get an electric shock. In the case of the rear location of the heating element. disconnect water supply, drain hose, drain the remaining water from the machine (this can be done by lowering the drain pipe below the level of the location of the housing unit or using a special drainage filter).
- If the heater is behind the back cover. take it off.
- If behind the front. remove the lid from above, take out the tray in which you fill the detergents (it is fastened on self-tapping screws, secured with a latch. Carefully disconnect it as well). Pull the steel hoop off the gasket. It’s held by a spring. stretch it a bit. Next remove seal, door blocker (disconnect wires from blocker), remove front panel.
Slightly unscrew the nut (not to the end, but to the length of the thread), then, pushing the stud inward (this will pull the part out of the seat), unscrew the nut to the end. Lift the heating element with a screwdriver around the perimeter and slowly pull it away from the rubber. Do it by loosening it.
What to watch for when buying a new heating element?
Before you go to the nearest store to buy a new heating element, you will have to get acquainted with its design features.
Design features of the heater
All heating elements of washing machines have the same internal device, but differ slightly in external design. Today straight and curved forms are generally accepted.
Straight ones are the most common and used in the bulk of models of various popular brands.
Curved THENs look exactly the same as straight, but at a distance of about 50 millimeters from the outer bracket have a bend of 30 degrees.
The principle of operation of bent elements does not differ from their straight counterparts, and the basic resistance is within the range of 20-70 ohms.
Curved parts are made under the design requirements of certain types of washing machines from firms such as Ardo, some models of Ariston, Indesit and others.
By the way, the fault codes of Ariston and Indesit washing machines we have discussed in detail in the following articles:
Types of external coating
Generally, THENs have a metal surface with a protective anodized layer. It has a high temperature resistance, demonstrates good water resistance and protects the heating part from corrosive manifestations.
However, some brands, such as Samsung, additionally apply a ceramic layer to their products.
It is considered to be more durable and significantly reduces the possibility of scale formation as a result of using hard water.
All error codes of Samsung washing machines and troubleshooting, we have reviewed here.
Working power and resistance
The main distinguishing feature of the heating elements is the working power. In different models, it can be up to 2.2 kW. The higher the baseline, the faster the water in the washing machine drum is heated to the desired temperature.
The normal resistance of the appliance varies from 20 to 40 ohms. However, the part practically does not feel any short-term voltage fluctuations that occur in the network. This is due to the presence of inertia and the rather high resistance of the heating element.
Other important parameters
When selecting the heating element for the machine it is necessary to show maximum attention. This will help to purchase an element of the right parameters and quickly reanimate the washing machine for further full and productive work.
It is not a good idea to buy a used device. There is no guarantee that it will serve well for a long time. It is better to choose a new product and buy it not at the bazaar, but in a store or service center.
First of all you should pay close attention to the length of the heating element. It is measured from the edge of the metal flange to the very end point of the heating element.
It is acceptable that the new part is slightly larger or smaller than the spoiled “native”. However, the difference in size should not exceed 1.5 millimeters.
The power factor should also be taken into account. It is usually indicated on the flange part of the heating element. The difference between a damaged part and a new one should not be more than 150 W.
If this figure is significantly exceeded, the operating load on the entire machine will increase, if significantly underestimated. the water will take too long to heat up and the electricity consumption will increase.
The presence of the temperature sensor is another fundamental parameter. Some models of heating elements are not completed with this detail, and have only a hole for it.
This is explained by the fact that very often in the case of combustion of the old heating element, the sensor remains in a normal, functional state and can be fully used further.
Heaters with only a sensor hole cost less, so owners can save a little money by using a new heating element with an existing temperature sensor.
The shape of a new heater must be exactly the same as the old one. If a bent heating element failed, it is allowed to replace it with a similar one. These rules are also valid for direct heating elements.
It is advisable to try to find a new “native” model. If you have problems with search, it is acceptable to buy a universal variant, suitable for the parameters of existing household appliances.
How to replace a Hotpoint washing machine heating element.
In terms of the material from which the washing tank is made, you need an absolute match. Parts fitted under the plastic tank are fitted with a robust rubber gasket.
In terms of basic width, it can be long or short, depending on the format of the heater itself.
There is a special shoulder in the flange area on the gaskets for the heating elements under the metal tank. It provides a clearer fixing of the part in the compartment.
Terminals and fasteners of the new product should be the same as the burned out. If they are located a little differently, there will be difficulties with connection to the wires and will necessarily require additional sealing of the place of installation.
Only then will the machine work properly again and perform the tasks programmed by the user correctly.
Heating element material can be any, as well as the external coating. There are no strict requirements for these parameters, and any deviations from the basic indicators are allowed, since the washing machine does not affect the operation in any way.