How to thread a twin needle?
If the machine performs a zigzag stitch, it may have a twin needle. In this case, the thread will be threaded in the needles just as if it was done with a single needle, the only difference is that you need an additional. the second. spool. Both threads must pass through the same upper thread tension.
Instructions on how to thread two needles into the machine:
- The twin needle is installed on the same principle as a regular needle. The spike of the needle should point away from yourself, and the round side of the needle bulb itself should point toward you.
- Pass the thread from both spools through all thread guides, not forgetting the upper thread tensioner. It should be so that the lowest thread guides will separate them.
- The left thread must be threaded into the needle on the left and the right thread into the needle on the right. If the machine has one thread guide, then the left thread must be passed through the thread guide and the right thread next to it, tucking it under the eye of the needle.
Using a double needle is not difficult, the main thing. both upper thread tucked correctly, as well as to loosen their tension (in the bobbin itself). The lower thread will be used when sewing at the same time as the upper thread, thereby forming a zigzag, so it is necessary to loosen the tension.
The twin needle makes it easier to sew double finishing stitches on a machine, and you can also sew a decorative finishing stitch with just one double needle stitch.
Sewing machine stitch quality and other problems
To understand how well the thread was threaded, you need to check the quality of the stitch on any scrap of fabric. In case the sewing machine loops, you can see clumps of threads at the bottom, and not everything is smooth on top, too, then it is recommended to again carefully study the instructions for use of the device. If the thread breaks, there may be several reasons. The most obvious is incorrect needle position or jammed thread. The problem can be solved by installing the needle exactly according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. The cause of the clamp is eliminated with sandpaper. Improperly selected needle can also cause thread breaks.
Possible mistakes in threading
Not only is it important to thread and start the machine correctly, but it is also important to avoid mistakes that can make sewing worse. Although the algorithm for mounting the upper and lower threads is simple, but some shortcomings can worsen the operation of the device.
What to watch out for when assembling yarn:
What Kind of Sewing Thread Should I Use?
- After assembling the thread, you should always use a test piece of fabric to check the operation of the mechanism. Too much or too little tension in the material can distort the shape and size of the seam.
- The material can be poorly fixed hook, which is responsible for the tension of the thread.
- The yarn can turn over or twist. To solve this problem, it is important to properly adjust the tension of the material that is secured to the bobbin.
- Incorrect threads at the bottom and top of the mechanism. If yarns of different texture and density are put on, the stitch will be uneven and slightly deformed.
Problems in the thread installation process
You can add a few more points, which will reveal the main problems, but they are quite elementary and can easily be found in the process of assembling the yarn.
Depending on the model and “age” of the sewing machine a more detailed principle of threading is determined. In general, the procedure is carried out in several stages: installation of the material in the upper part of the device, the bottom and laying the threads. Threading the thread according to the route will not leave a problem. all stages in modern models are almost completely automated. The older models are more complicated in terms of automation, but they are easy to “tame”.
A full process of work on the sewing machine, regardless of experience with this device, impossible without its correct settings, which are done manually. So, consider in this material detailed diagrams of how to correctly thread a sewing machine.
If the machine is not sewing properly, the thread is ripping or sagging, make sure you have not made any of the following mistakes.
- The thickness of the needle and the size of the hole (eyelet) do not match the stiffness and thickness of the layers of fabric to be sewn.
- You missed the tensioner, thread guides or did not pull it through or threading in the correct order.
- You are trying to sew without upper or lower thread.
- The machine is de-energized. You didn’t plug it in.
- You have wound too much thread onto the bobbin, making it difficult to rotate the first thread.
- The upper thread is equal (or less) than the lower thread.
- You are using threads that are too coarse. for example, pure cotton rather than synthetic (or semi-synthetic).
- You have selected the wrong type of stitch, unacceptable at this stage and for the fabric being sewn.
- Upper thread tensioner too loose or too tight.
- The bobbin and bobbin case have been visibly damaged over the years or by careless storage. The bobbin has chipped or scored.
- The machine has not been relubricated in time. It rotates with a noticeable force, overcoming it. It has caused a significant drop in speed. The machine is sewing jerks, constantly changing the number of stitches per second (and minute), that is, its performance, speed is questionable.
- Clogged, worn upper thread tensioner.
- Thread reels have been sitting for several years and have lost their characteristics: strength, elasticity, smoothness.
Other signs. such as sagging loops in the stitches. may also indicate the presence of errors. The reason is that the upper and lower thread tensioners are not carefully adjusted. Ideally it should be the same.
How to thread a sewing machine without the hassle
If you are reading this article you probably bought a sewing machine and are wondering how to tuck the thread into the sewing machine. Do not get upset in vain, today I will teach you how to do it step by step, as well as give a useful tip that only experienced seamstresses know, and it will make this process in one two three.
In fact, how you tuck in your sewing machine will determine how well it will sew in the future. Even the coolest super modern machine will loop and miss stitches, if not properly tucked in her threads. So treat this process with the utmost responsibility and care.
How to tuck the thread into the sewing machine helper from leomax
Every once in a while you need to hem something small: new pants, curtains, a seam that has come undone. Take the work to a master atelier, because you do not have a machine? Or you can darn it later, because it’s a chore to get your trusty helper out of the closet? The solution could be much easier. In this review of the mini manual sewing machine we’ll tell you how it will be useful for experienced seamstresses and beginners.
You’re a beginner?
Maybe the last time you sewed in high school was in shop class. Or you’ve never touched a sewing machine at all. But somewhere in the back of your mind you feel like trying. And believe you can do it. Here’s some good advice: a professional machine is expensive. Start with a mini sewing machine!
You are an experienced craftsman?
If you don’t have a spacious work area at home, you probably have to clean up your machine after sewing. If you need something for a quick stitch, you either have to take it back, or, as is most often the case, put it off for later. We know many craftsmen, and they often say that sometimes it’s easier for them to darn something with their hands than to take the machine out for 2 minutes of work.
Watch a short video to understand how to use a manual mini sewing machine, and how easy it is.
Included with the machine is a detailed instruction manual in Russian. As well as all the necessary kit:
Hand sewing mini sewing machine can sew both thick and delicate fabrics. Of course, you shouldn’t experiment with expensive silk on it or try to punch a thick fur coat with this baby. But it will handle most popular fabrics by 5. Tight jeans, cotton, velvet, satin, synthetics. it can do it all.
Learn more about the mini sewing machine and read customer reviews at this link.
On correctly threaded in the sewing machine thread depend on the quality of future items and the speed of sewing. Incorrect threading can lead to needle breakage and cause more serious problems with the machine. An obligatory action for all masters should be paid special attention during the initial phase of training and acquaintance with the new mechanism. This will help in the future to change threads quickly and accurately the first time.
Conscientiously study the manual that comes with the sewing machine. Reliable manufacturers are interested in the long life of their machines. That’s why detailed diagrams, descriptions and recommendations for threading are attached. If you don’t have the instructions handy, don’t feel bad! We will tell you how to perform this important operation.
For regular stitching
The threading principle is about the same for all standard machines.
First, you need to check the spool, so that it moves well and does not get stuck anywhere. The thread must travel from the thread tensioner to the thread puller and then into the hole of the needle.
Between these elements there are special thread guides. These can be small hooks or springs. They are designed to guide the thread in the right direction so that it is less likely to snag as it travels.
Algorithm of action
- Let’s proceed with the insertion of the upper thread. It must pass through the thread guide and into the bobbin threader between the two plates.
- Then pull it up so that you hear a little click. This is because there is a compensating spring inside the thread tensioner.
- Then pass the thread through the thread tensioner (upper lever).
- After that, it passes through all the thread guides encountered along the way.
- For convenience, lift the needle up and insert the thread from the front to the back. It is necessary to leave the loose end with a length of about 5 cm. It is best to place it so that it is out of the way and behind the machine.
- Next, the lower thread should be threaded by disengaging the flywheel. First, the thread must be wound onto the bobbin, then put it into the bobbin case.
IMPORTANT! Make sure that the machine is de-energized while you are doing this.
- Before the bobbin is in the special device, unwind some thread.
- The cap is placed in the hook, making sure that the slit intersects with the finger of the bobbin. A characteristic noise should be heard. If all these points are correct, the cap will be completely fixed.
NOTE! The thread in the bobbin should rotate strictly clockwise.
Check that the thread is correctly threaded
Turn the flywheel to be sure everything is correct. After the needle is up and then down, a small loop should come out of the notch below the foot.
Next, both threads should be connected together and threaded back under the spatula. They should be behind the presser foot, and the top one should pass between the notch of the foot.
At the end of the threading, check the quality of the stitching. To do this, sew a small piece on a sample. If the thread breaks, adjustment is necessary. For example, tightening the thread tensioner.
IMPORTANT! When the presser foot is raised, the thread should pass through the eye of the needle easily and without obstruction.
To work with a twin needle
If you need a stitch that imitates the stitch of a flap stitch, then you need to choose a special double needle.
In this case do the threading as usual, but need an extra spool. Both threads need to be inserted into the thread tensioner at the top. Follow these steps.
- Change the regular needle for a double needle. It looks very unusual, and there may be some difficulties in getting to know it. But in practice it turns out to be much easier. Note that the beveled side of the needle should point away from yourself, and the rounded side should point toward the person.
- Pass both threads through all the thread guides along the way. As a result the lower thread guides should act as a divider.
- The left thread is tucked into the needle to the left, and the right thread should be inserted to the right. If the thread guide is singular, then through the thread guide spend the left thread and the right side by side, tucking it under the eye of the needle.
Older machines use their own threading methods, which are very different from newer machines.
Consider the principle of threading a machine Rzhev.
- Secure the spool of thread to the machine.
- Carefully pass the thread through the upper thread tensioner.
- Pull the thread through using a special spring to compensate. It looks like a hook.
- Then lower the thread down and thread it into the needle holder.
NOTE! Older machines have a special fork that throws the thread onto itself. This device is an alternative to the thread guide.
These products can be found only rarely. These include the Rzhev and Volga machines.
Insert the bobbin into the hook
Easy movement open the cover of the hook and insert the bobbin into the hook, the thread on the bobbin free end should lie on the left side and be directed towards you.
The hook has two grooves through which to pull the thread. First, pull the thread through the groove so that it faces itself:
And then pull it through the second groove, so that it lies away from yourself:
Close the lid of the hook, the bottom thread should be just sticking out from under the lid for now.
Watch this video on how to tuck the thread into the vertical hook:
Tips for caring for your sewing machine
Many people mistakenly believe that the sewing machine does not require special care, and that even in poor condition it will be able to perform its main function. to sew. This is not true. Your sewing machine will last much longer and sew much faster and quieter if you follow these simple maintenance rules.
- Periodically lubricate the inner parts of the special oil, which comes with the machine. The frequency of this procedure is once every six months.
- Choose your thread and needle wisely. Make sure the needle fits the type of fabric you are working with.
- Clean the inner workings of the machine with a special brush.
It is worth bearing in mind that when working with fabric types such as knitwear, fur and wool, the above procedures should be carried out a little more often than usual.
How to properly tuck the thread into a standard sewing machine
It is not difficult to figure out how to insert thread into a sewing machine, if the work will be carried out on a modern fixture of electric or electromechanical type.
Example of threading in Minerva
The most popular at the moment firm is Minerva. There are many models, which differ in complexity of arrangement, functional moments, the number of operations. But between them there is one thing in common. the principle of threading.
Pay attention! Another popular company is Veritas. The principle of threading is completely identical to Minerva.
The advantage of modern sewing devices is the presence of the electric principle of operation, so the procedure of winding the bobbin and further. The standard threading pattern can be used in other similar models of modern production.
Installing the bobbin
The most important step is exactly the charging of the bobbin. The principle of winding the thread and fixing the element (using the example of the Minerva) is as follows:
Construction of the mechanism for fixing the bobbin
- Remove the removable work table. To do this, the plastic plate must be moved to the left and completely removed. On a particular model, the principle of removing the table may vary.
- There is a plastic door in the housing. Open the compartment. Behind it you can see the bobbin mechanism, which must be removed. Raise the needle with the thumbwheel beforehand. To do this, simply pull the “set pin” towards yourself.
- Pull the bobbin itself out of the mechanism. Set the fixture on the upper pin. Pull the “yarn” from the spool to the bobbin, using special windings to hold it in place. Insert the thread through the hole in the bobbin to lock it in place.
- Press the pedal, pre-setting the mode “Idle”. The bobbin will automatically wind the thread. You can use the flywheel, but this principle of winding will be long, because it is made manually.
You will be interested in the construction of the pattern and sewing the headband with your own hands
Fixing and filling the bobbin
Correctly install the bobbin into the mechanism and the machine. Insert the fixture into the mechanism so that the thread is located clockwise with respect to the slit. Then the bobbin element is placed in place, while holding the “working finger”. On most machines, the principle of installation of the bobbin is made in accordance with the following mechanism.
Threading the upper thread
The sewing mechanism of any model of device is designed so that the work involves 2 threads. the upper and lower. It is easier to place the upper thread. Algorithm of arrangement:
- Fix the bobbin on the special pin.
- Pull out the thread, using the cues, pull the thread through the fasteners on the body of the device.
- Be sure to pass the thread through the fasteners that are responsible for the force of thread tension and the hole responsible for compensation spring.
- Insert the yarn into the yarn guide at the end of the foot.
- Next, pass it through the guiding hook and only then pass it through the eye of the needle.
Principle of upper threading At this stage, the upper threading mechanism is complete. Yarn can be inserted into the needle by hand, aiming at the eye of the needle, or you can use the automatic needle threader. a special mechanism for inserting the sewing material into the eye of the needle. Located on the left side of the foot and is adjusted with a lever.
Threading the bobbin thread
After installing the bobbin mechanism, the yarn is put to work. The main thing is to insert the bobbin correctly and position the sewing mechanism in it. The next step is pulling the thread up under the presser foot.
Threading the lower thread
Turn the machine off and use the side wheel to lower the needle. Hold the tip of the thread in the eye of the needle. Making one scroll of the upper yarn catches the lower yarn. By pulling up the top tip, you can pull the material that comes out of the bobbin.
Checking for proper threading
The correct version of the yarn is checked in several steps. First, the arrangement of the threads. Bottom one should lie under the spatula and the top one should be between the teeth of the spatula.
Still filling check the quality of the stitching. Need to take a small piece of fabric. Sew with several types of stitching textiles. If the thread breaks or passes difficult, then you need to adjust the fastener, which is responsible for the tension of the material.
Checking the quality of the thread that has been threaded
It’s easy enough to check, it doesn’t take long, and it gives full information about the settings of the machine.
You will be interested in How and from what fabric to sew tack: simple patterns