Circulation pumps: types of faults and how to repair them with your own hands
Most of the modern circulating pumps practically do not require maintenance. Repair of such devices requires extra attention and understanding of structural part of equipment. It is recommended that repairs to the equipment be entrusted to qualified personnel experienced in working with circulation pumps of various types and manufacturers.
Quite often there are interruptions and defects during the operation of the circulating pump. Which should be eliminated as quickly as possible. There are some characteristic signs of malfunction which help to quickly identify the nature of the fault, and return the equipment into operation in the shortest possible time. In this article we will consider the types of malfunctions of pumping equipment, as well as ways of self-repair.
Heat loss does not match the boiler capacity
Constant operation of the boiler can be associated with insufficient capacity of the device. The heat carrier, passing through the pipes, returns, and by this time, the water has not had time to heat due to insufficient power. Therefore, the gas boiler does not turn off. The power of the boiler is selected based on a number of key parameters:
- the area of heated rooms and the number of floors of the building;
- peculiarities of the climate of the region;
- Materials of the house, quality of heat insulating materials, quality of the seams, insulation of windows, number of chambers of window profiles etc.д.
- The number and volume of all heating devices and pipe circuits installed in the system, additional buffer tanks, separators;
- temperature level which must be maintained.
To calculate the boiler power it is better to entrust the calculation to a professional or use special formulas or online calculators that allow you to accurately determine the main characteristics of the boiler with all parameters.
Often a simple formula is used for power calculation, which is defined as 1 kilowatt of power per 10 square meters of heated space. м. heated space. Several correction factors are used, taking into account climatic conditions, the degree of thermal insulation of the house and other parameters. In addition to choosing the boiler itself, it is important to properly select the other components of the system, the pipes with an appropriate cross section to ensure the necessary carrying capacity.
The operating principle of the circulation pump equipment is based on creating a continuous circulation of fluid in the system without changing the pressure indicator
Circulation pump is a device that works in a closed heating system and performs the movement of water in the pipeline. The unit maintains a certain temperature of the coolant in the system. The device does not compensate for the loss of coolant and does not fill the system. The system is filled by a special pump or a certain pressure in the pipes.
The operating principle of the circulating pump equipment is based on creating a continuous circulation of fluid in the system without changing the pressure indicator. Since after installation the device operates continuously, the main requirements to such pumps are low noise level during operation, economical energy consumption, reliability, durability and ease of use.
Important: circulating pumps are compact devices, which do not take much space and do not create noise at work. The scope of use of circulating units for heating systems is quite extensive
Run Away Furnace, The heat wont turn off and how I fixed it.
The scope of use of circulating units for heating systems is quite extensive. They are installed:
Gas Furnace Won’t Turn On? Nothing Happening? 8 Reasons Why!
- in traditional radiator systems;
- In the arrangement of water underfloor heating;
- in geothermal systems;
- in the organization of hot water supply of cottages and summer houses.
Unlike forced circulation systems, this pumping equipment does not need pipes with an increased diameter. In addition, the device has the following advantages:
- rapid heating of the room;
- The boiler can be installed in any suitable location;
- loss of coolant and airlocks are minimized;
- The thermostat provides automatic temperature control;
- Electricity costs are reduced through the use of auto-regulation of the rotor speed;
- because the heating devices are constantly supplied with liquid, their service life is prolonged.
Preparing equipment for the heating season
it is necessary to prepare in advance the equipment for the heating season
In order not to be engaged in repair of heating circulating pump in winter it is necessary to check its working order before the onset of cold weather.
- The connection of the pump equipment to the piping must be correct. Install the device in a place where the possibility of air s is minimized (ideally. in front of the boiler).
- Check if the gasket and connectors are greased. If they are dried out, the lubrication needs to be restored.
- Inspect the mesh filter. If the unit is blocked after continuous operation, clean it.
- Using a tester check that the heating equipment is properly connected to the network.
- Perform a test run of the unit before the heating season.
If the inlet to the gas boiler does not have a filter, then gradually in the heat exchangers accumulate deposits of salts of potassium and magnesium, which are deposited during heating. In this case the heat exchanger, when heated, cannot transfer enough heat to the fluid because it is obstructed by a thick layer of sediment. As the result the coolant does not get warm up to the required temperature and the gas boiler operates without stopping.
This problem can be solved by cleaning a clogged heat exchanger. The normal circuit is easy enough to dismantle and clean with special reagents.
Note! If you have a gas boiler with a bithermal heat exchanger you will not be able to clean it. This circuit, due to its complex design, clogs faster than a conventional one. You have to buy a new element and install it instead of the old one.
To avoid frequent descaling of the circuits, it is advisable to purchase and install a magnetic filter that will prevent the deposition of salts.
The circulation pump in the gas boiler Beretta Mynute DGT is constantly running.28C.S.I.
I have a problem with my boiler.The pump always works both in DHW mode and in the off position.It only shuts off when the plug is removed from the socket.Also, such a problem.When hot water is drawn in, the pump also works.And if you shut off the pump (remove the clamp), then the water begins to boil in the primary heat exchanger when you take hot water, steam comes through the air vent on the pump, the heat exchanger triceps.I understood that the pump cooled the water.What can it be?Maybe the three-way valve is not working?Previously, opened the hot water, the pump is off, the water does not boil, in the heat exchanger is not triche.These are the problems.PLEASE. THANK YOU.
The pump should not turn off when working on the water supply.! The pump should run for some time after you turn off the burner-run out time of the pump.If the time between turns on the burner is small pump may not have time to stop. In different boilers run down time of the pump from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. On some models this time can be adjusted.
MWS wrote: The pump should not turn off when working on hot water.!
agree with this 100%, especially the boiler with a secondary heat exchanger.
OLEG V. wrote: And if you shut off the pump (remove the clamp), then when you take the hot water.
You can easily destroy the boiler with these experiments.
OLEG V. wrote: I understand that the pump was cooling water.
The pump did not cool it, but ran it in a small circle of the boiler through two heat exchangers. primary and secondary, where in the secondary heat is transferred to the flowing water.
OLEG V. wrote: The pump operates continuously in DHW mode and in the off position.
Most likely a fault on the control board. Could be a relay sticking or triac control “break”.
OLEG V. wrote: Previously, opened the hot water, the pump is off, the water does not boil, the heat exchanger does not triching.
not a real situation. Maybe you just did not pay attention.
mws wrote: The pump must run for some time after the burner is turned off. the pump run-out time.
mws wrote: On some models this time can be adjusted.
On some boilers there is no coast down time and the pump always works, and on some (like mine on the “hare), these modes switch. That is, in the settings can be set to run the pump continuously. (And for some reason for the mode “winter” is and recommend it) According to what algorithm operates the pump in this boiler, I have not found. (I have neither time nor wish to study in detail the manual), it may be the same for the 3 modes of temperature regulation, or maybe not.
SZZY: looked for more. Your pump is controlled by a relay. probably stuck. If you have enough knowledge you can measure the control voltage on the relay. And (or) “test” with the pump disconnected from the board.
The main causes of pressure increase
Most often the reason why the pressure in the heating loop increases in a closed heating system, is the equipment failure due to which the figures jump up and then down sharply. But in addition to this, causes also include the following:
- Sudden increase of pressure of the heating medium due to the blocked shutoff valve. An increase in pressure in the system, followed by blockage of the boiler and stopping the system. To eliminate the problem it is necessary to check the valves for leakage, open the valves and cocks to relieve the pressure.
- The cause of the rise in head in the heating system may be a fouled dirt filter. On the surface of such filter particles of rust, debris, sand and slag accumulate. The pressure in the area between the boiler and the filter will eventually increase dramatically. To eliminate the cause, it is necessary to clean the filters regularly, at least 3-4 times a year. Also a good solution would be to replace conventional strainers with magnetic or flush filters. They cost more, but their service is much easier.
- The working pressure of the system may increase due to malfunction of the boiler automation. It is a factory defect, wrong settings of the system, breakage of the control board. All these problems require boiler repair, which can only be carried out by a master.
- Leaky make-up valve, i.e. water will constantly penetrate into the common circuit, causing a pressure jump. Repair is usually quite simple, you only need to replace the rubber gaskets. But if there is a defect it is necessary to replace the entire valve or equipment.
Why the pressure drops in a two-circuit or conventional boiler? This situation most often occurs when the expansion tank is broken or the air valve is skipped. To fix the problem you may need to repair or completely replace the tank.
The effectiveness of the proposed method
At a relatively low monetary cost, the installation of a water heater, an expander and a pump allows:
- save up to 25 thousand. liters of water per year if a family of four lives in the apartment,
- Use water of a comfortable temperature even in the case of simultaneous operation of multiple water intake points,
- Reduce the consumption of gas and electricity,
- Extend the life of the boiler.
Subscribe to our YouTube, group, Yandex Zen. There are a lot of useful and interesting content!
Frequency of turning on and off the burner gas heating boiler is a very variable and very individual, depending on many factors. The manufacturers guarantee the boiler to provide the specified temperature range regardless of whether the burner is on or off. The intensity of the combustion helps prevent overconsumption due to clocking.
Mode of operation of the gas boiler is chosen strictly according to the season and the required heating value in the room. To avoid very frequent switching on and off of the equipment you need to determine the correct installation location of the thermo regulator, stabilize the temperature intervals, as well as adjust the gas burner and solve the thermal capacity issue of the heating circuit.
Subscribe to the same on our YouTube, group, Yandex Zen. There is a lot of useful and interesting content!