What to do if there is ice on the rear wall of the fridge compartment?
Make sure that the freezing mode is not set to the maximum in the fridge. Temperatures inside and outside of the fridge are not connected in any way, therefore it is not recommended to switch on the strongest mode of freezing. it will give unnecessary loading to the motor.
This is an absolutely normal refrigerator operation with the freezing compartment drip defrosting system. In this case, there is nothing to worry about.
Do not put into the fridge interior not cooled down to the room temperature and not covered with the lid. They will condense on the back wall of the refrigerator as they evaporate. When there is too much condensable moisture, the refrigerator does not have time to defrost, resulting in icing.
If you do not find problems described above, it means. There is a malfunction inside the refrigerator. The causes may be as follows:
Fridge compartment freezes too much. The refrigerator motor is turned on frequently, running with short rest breaks. Frost forms evenly on the rear wall of the fridge compartment.
Thermostat or air thermostat has failed. The faulty temperature sensor erroneously signals that it is not cold enough in the refrigerating chamber and the motor therefore runs more frequently to reduce the allegedly high temperature. The back wall of the refrigerator does not have time to thaw, and ice forms on it.
Fridge motor is running continuously. Ice sets irregularly, often in the corner of the fridge compartment. Fridge stops freezing after defrosting.
Freon is leaking. As a result of leakage the fridge motor starts working without a break “trying” to compensate the lack of freon. Frost forming as a result.
It is necessary to eliminate the leak and recharge the system with freon or replace the evaporator.
The cooling chamber does not cool well and the unit motor continues to run without shutting down. There is a snow “furrow” on the rear wall of the refrigerator and the compressor of the unit is very hot.
There is a partial blockage in the capillary pipe and this causes problems with the circulation of freon.
It is required to clean the system, recharge it with freon, as well as check the oil and if necessary. change it.
Rear wall of the refrigerating chamber is frosted evenly. Fridge motor hardly shuts down trying to lower the temperature inside the fridge compartment.
The rubber door seal is worn out, which causes the warm air to get inside the refrigerator. The evaporator, due to the continuous operation of the motor, does not have time to thaw and the rear wall of the refrigerating chamber is covered with ice.
Sealing rubber must be replaced.
There is a thick layer of ice and snow on the rear wall of the fridge in a certain place.
The insulation of the refrigerator freezes. This is caused by the insulation of the refrigerator being damaged by condensation.
It is necessary to cut out the frozen section of insulation and replace it with a new one.
The refrigerating compartment of the single-compressor refrigerator overfreezes, ice has formed on the back wall of the refrigerating chamber. The temperature in the freezing chamber is higher than the preset value.
The solenoid valve for switching the cooling between the chambers is defective. Due to the breakage, the valve “gets stuck” in the cooling mode of both compartments and as a result, the freezing chamber overfreezes.
The electromagnetic valve should be replaced.
When ordering any kind of repair service through the website
By clicking “Call Master” you agree to the processing of your personal data and confirm that you are of the age of majority according to the following terms
The appearance of ice and snow on the rear wall of the refrigerating chamber is one of the most common faults. It is most common in units with a drip defrosting system of the refrigerator compartment. As you know, any malfunction of the refrigerator brings its own changes in its operation and breaks the usual mode of food storage. Thus, the foods that are surrounded by ice and snow are likely to turn into ice cubes by themselves and after defrosting they will get unpleasant look. Besides, the frozen snow “coat” can start to thaw and the refrigerator can leak.
Meanwhile, defrosting or “chipping” the ice is not the solution if the frost has formed due to a malfunction of one of the units. It is most likely that after some time the “coat” will grow again. So, what should be done, if the ice is freezing on the back wall of the refrigerator?
First of all, it is necessary to define the reason of this phenomenon and find out if something is really broken in the fridge, because the back wall of the fridge could be covered with snow due to the other reasons, not connected with the unit turning out of the system.
Faults that cause ice freezing on the rear wall
Even a thin layer of frost can testify that your fridge requires repair. If the coat occurs constantly, this is a reason to call a master for diagnostics.
Reasons why the snow is freezing on the fridge wall:
- Worn out seal. If the rubber band on the door is loose, cracked or does not fit properly, warm air enters the fridge compartment. The problem can be solved by replacing or repairing the gasket.
- Blockages in the capillary system. In this malfunction, freon cannot circulate freely through the tube and cool the air evenly. Because of this, the compressor has to work more intensively and rarely shuts down. An additional sign indicating this problem is that the refrigerator case is heating up on the outside.
- Refrigerant leaks. Freon escapes from the system if it is damaged or clogged. The tube is often corroded and cracks appear at these places through which the freon escapes. In this case, ice does not cover the whole rear panel in a single coat. Snow deposits appear in certain places, exactly where the refrigerant is leaking.
- Thermostat failure. This part is responsible for maintaining the set temperature in the chamber. When it fails, the compressor receives no temperature change signals. Motor stops working or shuts down. It causes excessive freezing, with frost forming not only on the walls, but also on the food.
- Failure of magnetic valve in single-compressor refrigerators. This part is responsible for the even distribution of frost in the two compartments. When it breaks, it blows cold air into the main compartment and not into the freezer. Because of this, a snow coat appears on the back wall of the freezer on the freezer side, while in the freezer compartment, on the contrary, it gets warmer.
These are the basic reasons why the refrigerator gets covered with snow and ice inside. But the reason can also serve other malfunctions. Only a master can determine the exact cause.
What to do if it freezes
Some Samsung refrigerator buyers complain that because of the ice in the freezer they have to defrost the fridge more often. Why the ice in the freezer, and especially in a fridge with the No Frost system and by such a well-known manufacturer, forms in the freezing compartment?? This should not be the case and indicates that the unit is malfunctioning. From the statistics of repairs it is known that the main reason of ice formation in the freezing compartment of Samsung refrigerators is often the over-freezing of the drainage tube.
For trouble-free operation of the freezing chamber it is better to have a fridge with 2 compressors. Together with the separate evaporators, they form two autonomous circulation systems that significantly increase the reliability of cold generation in the freezer compartment.
Refrigerator itself inside
The main causes of ice freezing in the refrigerator compartment:
- Partial freon leak. In the normal aggregate state, freon is a gas that can evaporate through the micro-cracks that are formed in the hermetic system of the refrigerant. This results in the fact that the motor-compressor, which does not have enough freon to operate the two compartments of the refrigerator, is only able to maintain the required temperature in the freezing compartment.
- Thermostat failure. Often accompanied by continuous operation of the compressor, to which the faulty device “reports” the wrong data about the temperature in the refrigerating cabinet.
- Solenoid valve malfunction. In models with one compressor, the function of distributing it alternately to the freezing and refrigerating chambers is performed by the electromagnetic valve, which can sometimes become jammed. In this case, the compressor cools only the refrigerating capacity of the unit, leaving the freezer without cold. This is often seen in Ariston refrigerators.
- Overloading of the refrigerating chamber with foods. Each unit and volume of food that is placed for storage in the refrigerator requires it to work on cooling it. If there is too much food, then for the compressor to cool them is a big load, which it tries to cope with without shutting down to the limits of its ability.
- Frosting of the insulation. Failure to seal the insulating layer of the enclosure can cause ice to freeze in the refrigerator. Troubleshooting requires certain skills
Back or side wall of the fridge
Some of the buyers face with frosting of the back wall of refrigerators of “Atlant” and “Indesit” brands. They’re not alone in this, though. I met and expensive LG models, which also were not without faults in this respect. Apparently the problem is not so much with the manufacturer, but with the laws of physics, which no one cancelled yet.
Freezing of snow and ice on the back wall of the refrigerator can be caused by the following reasons:
- Breakage of the defrost sensor. No question, you need to replace it.
- Refrigerant leakage. Causes the compressor to run non-stop. The place of leakage should be found and the refrigerant should be added.
refrigerator suction pipe ice reason/problem|refrigerator slow cooling problem in english
- Compressor. malfunction or improper operation.
- Refrigerant circulation capillary clogged. Blowing “nozzles” in the workshop.
- Door problem. A door that does not close tightly, letting heat in, forces the compressor to exert extra effort to cool the food.
If you treat your fridge with care, follow the recommendations of the specialists and all the rules of operation, the fridge will not be in danger of ice age.
Causes of ice and snow formation not caused by fridge malfunction
The cooling mode is set correctly but the fridge and/or freezer compartment is still covered with ice? Unfortunately, we have to note the following failure.
Defects that need to be repaired
When it is necessary to defrost the fridge compartment too often, but the seal is intact, all the rules of operation are followed, and the mode is set correctly, then you should think about whether the unit itself is in good working order. As the freeze-up is a consequence of breakdown of one of its mechanisms.
The table below shows the most common malfunctions.
This breakdown is peculiar for refrigerating cabinets with the simplest device.
In no-frost, freeze-thaw and drip-freeze devices the water starts to accumulate in the middle or under the fridge.
It is necessary to clean the drainage by your own hands or to invite a specialist.
Damaged parts of the defrost system need to be replaced.
It is necessary to eliminate the leakage and recharge the unit with the refrigerant. If there is a leak in the evaporator you need to replace it.
You have to clean the pipes and fill the refrigerator with freon.
Replace the solenoid valve.
If a problem is detected, first defrost the refrigerator. If the ice on the back wall of the device freezes again, it confirms its failure. If after self-checking again appears ice, then the help of a specialist is required. It will make diagnostics, will find the reason of a failure in system and will carry out qualitative repair.
Methods of elimination of freezing
Regardless of what kind of breakdown happened to the refrigeration equipment, the problem can be eliminated independently, following the algorithm:
- Check the location of storage containers, the temperature of food in the chamber, the presence of lids on liquids. If you have eliminated all the defects, and the coat continues to increase, go to the next point.
- Defrost the unit in the natural conditions, perform hygienic cleaning, blow out the drainage system.
- The product should be used as usual and checked thoroughly before plugging in:
- settings of the temperature sensors;
- The integrity of the rubber seal;
- tightness of the door;
- adjustment of the feet on the body of the equipment;
- location of the appliance.
Warning! Locating in close proximity to heating appliances, heating systems and direct sunlight greatly reduces the functionality of the refrigerator.
- In case of repeated formation of snow crust, unstable operation of the compressor, temperature rise inside the chamber, you should suspect a serious breakdown and call a specialist.
Why does the fridge freeze. the main signs and causes
Water leaks from the freezer in the fridge no-frost. Heavy frost and unfrozen water inside the freezer compartment.
Seal is worn out. Warm air enters the fridge to compensate for the excessive heat. Your refrigerator is freezing harder than it should. As a result, a “coat” is formed on the walls, and the products overfreeze. Rubber seal needs to be replaced.
The fridge chamber is overfreezing but the freezing chamber is warm. Thus the engine operates very actively, with short pauses.
The capillary system in the refrigerating chamber is clogged. The engine can not pump freon through the system because of the appearance of “clots” (usually they arise from burning machine oil). It is necessary to clean the system, recharge the fridge with freon and check the oil.
Externally, everything is fine, but the refrigerator overfreezes (for electromechanical refrigerators).
The thermostat could malfunction. Refrigerator “brain” does not receive a signal that the set temperature has been reached and continues to freeze. The thermostat (thermostat) in the refrigerator compartment needs to be replaced.
Outwardly everything is all right, but the refrigerator overfreezes (for refrigerators with electronic control).
Refrigerator Freezing Food, Easy Repair, Save Money
Air sensor may be broken. Refrigerator does not receive a signal that the compartment is cold enough and continues to freeze. The air sensor of the refrigerating chamber needs to be replaced.
Single-compressor refrigerator overfreezes food in main compartment and temperature in freezer is higher than preset value.
Most likely, the switching valve is broken. It often “sticks” in the “refrigerator and freezer cooling” position when malfunctioning. As a result, it is too cold in the fridge compartment and too warm in the freezer compartment. The valve needs to be replaced.
When ordering any repair services through the website
By pressing the “Call Master” button, you agree to the processing of personal data and confirm your age in accordance with the terms of
What are the chances of getting rid of ice in the camera?
Any malfunction can be eliminated if you understand what to do. Only an experienced master is able to determine the reason of the appearance of the ice crust and eliminate it efficiently. Such specialists work at “Frostrem” company. The level of professionalism of our masters to repair refrigerators in St. Petersburg allows you to guarantee the quality of services provided, so you can be sure you will get expert help from these professionals in their field!
If there is a small leak but the fridge freezes, it will not affect the products. However, it is not worth postponing the search for a malfunction and its elimination. Constant ingress of moisture on the working parts of a household appliance can cause larger breakdowns.
If you can not fix the equipment failure yourself, masters are advised to contact the service center.
In this case, there are a few rules of operation to help avoid breakdowns:
- Not leaving the door open. Some people leave the refrigerator door open to remove any unpleasant odors from the refrigerator compartment. If this is done once, it will not cause much damage to the appliance. However, frequent airing or poorly closing the door causes the formation of ice on the walls and damage to the main parts of the appliance.
- In order to prevent clogging of the drain hole in the refrigerating chamber, one should be very attentive when placing the foods on the shelves. Keep food close to the back wall. Otherwise, pieces of food could fall into the drain hole and cause a clog.
- It is not recommended to put liquids in containers without lids in the chamber. For example, pots of soup, open bottles of juice or milk evaporate liquids and leave them on the walls of the refrigerator as frost or ice.
- When defrosting, some people try to speed up the process, so they scrape off pieces of ice with a knife or other sharp objects. It is categorically not recommended to do so, t.к. You can damage parts of your refrigerator and it will soon leak.
- Dust that accumulates on the back of a household appliance can cause failure of major parts, so you need to regularly remove contaminants.
If you follow these simple recommendations, you can protect your household appliance not only from leaks, but also from many other failures. As a result the refrigerator Atlant, Indesit or any other refrigerator can serve for a longer period of time.