How to move the towel rail to another wall: water and electric
When repairing the bathroom, often the room is redesigned. We have to move the towel dryer to another wall. The electric device is the easiest to move, but there are problems with the device, connected to the heating or hot water tap, which can be solved with experience and knowledge, or by seeking help from professionals.
How to prepare for the work of replacing or transferring the towel rail in the bathroom to another wall
To begin with, it is worth preparing tools:
It is desirable to prepare screwdrivers, a tape measure, a marker, fixing brackets.
A convenient place to install a towel dryer
It is worth to choose the right place for installation, as mentioned earlier it is best to install a towel radiator over the washing machine, about one hundred and twenty centimeters, and a sufficient distance from the pipeline.
After determining the place of installation it is worth marking it with a marker. It is desirable that near the place of installation was a power source (outlet). But if it is not available, we will have to lay a separate wire for our device.
There are two ways to lay a new socket:
- In the case of a complete bathroom renovation reliable option would be to run the wire under the facing.
- You can also run the wire directly through the lining, but it won’t be as safe. The first option, although more difficult and more time-consuming, will be much more reliable than the second.
After that you need to remove the device from its original location.
Make new holes in the marked place, for the mounting system of the device. All that remains to be done is to install the mounting system and put the device on it. After that do the finishing work.
We suggest watching an interesting video about installing a new towel rail:
General recommendations and rules
When installing the towel radiator, the standards described in the SNIP regulations are taken into account:
- The top bar of the heater is located at a height that can be reached by an adult’s hand. It is recommended to place heater sections at heights from 900 to 1700 mm (the value of the bottom threshold depends on the configuration of the product).
- If a U-shaped element is mounted, the lower bend must be at least 1100 mm above the floor covering.
- When installing an M-configuration heater, the distance from the floor to the lower section should not be less than 900 mm.
- The metal body of the heat exchanger, made of steel, must be able to withstand a pressure of at least 7.5 atm. The water pressure in the mains depends on the floor level of the building and the distance from the house to the pumping station or boiler room. It should be taken into account that at night the pressure increases because of the reduced flow of water by tenants.
- When selecting a towel dryer, the size of the bathroom is taken into account. Rooms with reduced dimensions require a heater with smaller dimensions (e.g. U- or S-shaped models). The diameter of the heating element should match the dimensions of water supply lines.
- It is recommended to provide a clearance between the lines and the wall within the range of 35 to 55 mm. The supply pipeline is arranged at an inclination of 2-3 °, which provides automatic removal of air or steam plugs.
Practical hints and tips
In order to carry out the transfer of a towel dryer in the bathroom according to all the rules and to obtain a good long-lasting result, you should follow some rules.
For private houses with an autonomous water supply are suitable brass models, which are designed for more gentle use. It is undesirable to install a towel radiator on the wall, bordering the living room.
It is not recommended to use a threaded connection in conjunction with a welded riser. It is also undesirable to use a threaded connection in places that are difficult to access for maintenance, such as behind decorative trim.
For correct operation of the towel dryer, during installation, provide a slight slope of the supply pipe in the direction of the hot water flow. It will help to avoid the formation of air s.
The distance from the wall to the middle of the supply pipe should be 3.5-5.5 cm
Transferring a towel dryer to another wall: permits and approvals
Starting to repair the bathroom, many people wonder if it is possible to dismantle the towel radiator and how to do it. It is impossible to answer unequivocally, because everyone should decide for himself whether he needs this device. Many consider it a necessary attribute, which should be in every room, others do not see any significance in it. Before you remove the towel radiator, it is necessary to understand what it is for, what function it performs.
Transferring a water towel rail, what difficulties arise
In the first place there can be legal problems with the permission to transfer, in the second, when transferring a water device, there can be problems with the load of a new design on the water system of the house.
All other difficulties are not serious in comparison with the first two.
Before starting the transfer, it is imperative to disconnect the supply riser. Doing it yourself is not recommended, it is better to trust a professional plumber.
Usually water devices do not have a system for regulating heat, but you can install a ball valve on it, which will allow you to regulate the heating of the installation.
First of all, you should always find out whether the transfer is allowed in the house. If not, you must agree it with the relevant authorities.
If you have carried out the transfer of the installation and did not agree with the housing inspection, you will be held administratively liable. The case may go to court, and you will have to be punished or get away with a fine of a tidy sum.
Look at the video, an interesting and safe option for connecting a towel dryer:
Standards for the transfer of the towel radiator
Transferring the device to another wall as a violation of the housing will not be assessed by the Inspectorate, as the design is not specified in the plans of BTI and changing its position will not affect the configuration of the room planning.
Often there are other problems with the transfer, because the device belongs to the common property, and will require collecting signatures for permission to transfer, from all residents of the house.
But the device is not listed in the plans of the BTI, and it works for each apartment separately.
At the same time, the water towel rail is plugged into the heating or hot water system at home, and if not connected properly, it can affect its work. All three points will need to be taken into account when carrying out repairs.
In order to properly carry the device will need to comply with some technical conditions.
the device should be seamless and have protection against hydro-impact loads
Relocating Washing Machine & Dryer Part 1
It is desirable to carry out the transfer to a minimum distance from the previous location
Take care of the presence of a convenient socket to connect the device
Do not forget the standards specified in SNiP:
- Towel dryer ladder type is mounted in such a way that an adult can reach the upper rung;
- U-shaped is mounted no lower than 110 cm from the floor.
- M-shaped is placed at a height of at least 90 centimeters;
- The average mounting height is between 90 and 170 centimeters, for comfortable human use.
The water type model
The mechanism of the transfer of the water towel dryer is more complicated. Nevertheless, it is possible to do the job yourself.
Construction features of the water model
The dryer of this type consists of elements:
- On top of the device there is a Mayevsky valve. Its purpose in draining the air;
- There is a plug. a special plug;
- water is supplied through the supply system;
- Water is shut off by the valves specifically built into the device. If they are not available you need to install them yourself;
- Fixing elements. brackets.
Work of dryer is carried out in some cases from heating system, in other variant from water supply of hot water. The second option is more preferable:
- The heating season is short. Heating functions for a maximum of 6 months.
- When a dryer breakdown or leak is detected, the water supply to the coil must be shut off immediately. With plumbing, this can be done quickly. It will be difficult to do so with a heating system.
- Plumbing water has fewer impurities than heating system fluid. In addition, the water in the heating system stagnates and becomes even more clogged.
Before you move the towel dryer to another wall, ask the housing authorities for permission. You must not commence work without first obtaining an agreement. Before starting work, a specialist from the housing department is summoned, who will shut off the water supply to the entire riser. After all, the liquid must be drained completely.
Requirements for the choice of a new model
The new model of the towel radiator must meet the requirements:
- The new model is selected according to the pressure level in the water system of the apartment.
- The model varies in size in direct proportion to the size of the room. In a large bathroom. a large towel dryer is installed.
- The model is chosen taking into account the diameter of the outlet pipe. The figure must match the diameter of the inlet hole of the riser pipes.
- It is recommended to choose a seamless model.
Is the removal of the towel rail redevelopment
Unfortunately, at the moment there is no clear understanding of the question about the transfer of the towel dryer to another wall. In general, experts consider in practice two main options for resolving the issue:
- Transfer of the construction without remodeling the bathroom. We are talking about the installation of a towel rail in a new place. By the way, the installation process is carried out by the management company at the request of the tenant, who will only need to receive a certificate that the organization has carried out the transfer of the heating element by its own efforts.
- Transfer of the construction during the repair and redevelopment in the bathroom. If the transfer of the towel dryer occurs in conjunction with other actions (design updates and redevelopment of the bathroom), information about the transfer of the structure should be specified in the project documentation. After the final bathroom design is created, the documentation is submitted for approval to the housing inspectorate.
Attention! You can place the towel dryer on any walls except those that are common to you and your neighbors.
So, we conclude that coordination is necessary only if you carry out repairs with redevelopment. In other cases, however, you won’t need a sketch or design for relocating the heating structure.
But nevertheless specialists advise to notify the Building Administration about their decision, as in some cases (for example in very old buildings) the position of all heating installations, including towel dryers, is fixed in the project of the house.