What to do if the air conditioner leaks in an apartment?
The drain is clogged, unable to cope with the diversion of liquid outside: the insects that are attracted to the water coolness in the hot period get into the drainage pipe. They stay there, settling inside the unit, preventing the condensate from flowing out properly;
- Drain hose gets clogged with debris, dirt, dust, animal hair, which get inside the split-system together with the drawn air stream. Over time, the remaining dirt accumulates inside the drain tube, the condensed moisture collects in the sump, and then pours over the edge to the outside;
- Bacterial contamination of tank, the whole drainage. If necessary maintenance is not performed properly, bacterial colonies, mold and fungus begin to grow in the unit. Microorganisms accumulate inside the system, mucus is formed, preventing the natural outflow. It is not only dangerous for the health of the tenants, but there are negative external manifestations: bad smell, water leaking from the air conditioner;
Incorrect placement of the diverter hose during installation. The hose must be placed on a slope so that the moisture can flow out under the action of gravitation. If you place it horizontally, with bends, cracks, etc.д., The condensate could not overcome the obstacles and would accumulate in the pan.
- The indoor unit is not installed horizontally as required by the installation instructions. Result: water flows from air conditioner into room;
- The water drainage system components were damaged during installation;
- bad expansion of copper pipes caused depressurization of the cooling loop. Freon is leaking and ice is forming on the evaporator. When the ice cover melts, it creates a volume of liquid for which the split unit drainage is not designed.
Using the air conditioning equipment in the cold period of the year at low temperatures. If split-system is not intended for work in a frosty weather, if there is no winter set for heating, the water in the outlet pipe outside will freeze. Ice plug will prevent the moisture from escaping to the outside.
How to remove the leak
The way of leak repair depends on the reason of breakage.
In this case, freezing of external part of the evaporator with further thawing of frost occurs when the system is off. Such problem is usually accompanied by atypical sound and insignificant blowing out of ice.
Damage to the drain line
Such damage most often occurs in the process of testing the system with poor quality of installation. Mechanical damage of the pipeline becomes the reason of malfunction. It must be replaced. soldering, taping and gluing is highly undesirable.
Clogged drainage pipe
If the outer tube is not equipped with a mesh, over time it becomes clogged with cobwebs, insect cocoons, dust or dirt. In the winter time there can be complete icing of the evaporator wall. To correct the situation it is necessary to clean the pipeline with a wire or vacuum cleaner, and in frosty weather you will have to gently beat frosting off.
No pressure regulator
Occurs most often in the winter when there is a significant pressure and temperature imbalance in the circuit of the entire system. The evaporator of the indoor unit is getting cooler, the condensate and frost are forming. When the temperature rises, the evaporator wall thaws and leaks. The only solution is to install a pressure regulator.
The use of pseudo-siphons
Often when installing equipment to prevent the penetration of unpleasant odors drain pipe is bent. This leads to malfunctions, so the deformed section will have to be replaced, and it is best to use the original siphons.
Installation of a drainage pipe without a slope
As mentioned, this error occurs when you try to install an air conditioner with a gravity outlet yourself. In this case, the indoor unit turns into a large reservoir of water and becomes extremely dangerous for people in the room. To eliminate such mistake it is necessary to dismantle the whole system and its complete reequipment.
In a situation if water outflow to the street is impossible on some reasons, there are installed conditioners with a drain pump, for example in the basement or underground structures. Such equipment can also leak.
Failure of the drain pump. condensate is not fully sucked in. Such equipment needs to be repaired or completely replaced.
In the case of an unintentional power outage or voltage drop in the network, sometimes there is a slight leak. Don’t worry. the problem is quickly solved when the power is restored.
The causes of water leakage from the outdoor unit
Low refrigerant level. The ice crust, formed on the tubes, melts and flows out through the technical slots of the outdoor unit.
How to remove. Refill the air conditioner with freon.
How to Fix a Leaking Aircon Unit. DIY Now
Evaporator contamination. Disturbance of heat giving by evaporator to the atmosphere because of contamination of its surface with dust, dirt, down and etc.п. leads to its freezing and “drop.
How to remove. Timely preventive and seasonal evaporator cleaning.
Lowering of pressure in the freon line in the period of decrease of outside temperature.
How to eliminate. To prevent the problem, install a condensing pressure regulator. Specialized air-conditioning equipment, such as in server rooms, is equipped with pressure regulators originally.
Why Is My Air Conditioner Leaking Water? AC Leaking Water Inside House
What to do if air conditioner is leaking
If liquid is flowing from split-system because of Freon shortage then it is possible to solve the problem only by addressing to the service. But some other malfunctions are real to eliminate with your own hands.
How to clean filters of the conditioner
If there is water dripping from the air conditioner inside, first of all you should check the condition of the filters. You have to take off a front panel of split-system and take out big nets, situated straight behind it.
The clogged filters are washed with cool water, dried and put back in. After that the problem with leaking of the device should disappear.
Filters of conditioner are not allowed to wash with hot water or dry with dryer as they can deform
How to eliminate float sticking
If the float in the special chamber is stuck due to the formation of a sticky substance, and water leaks, it is sufficient to return the element to the moving position. There are two ways to do it:
- Knock on the bottom of the air conditioner to cause vibration and unlock the element;
- Remove the float chamber, rinse it with water and put it back.
If the dried condensate with particles of dirt and dust in the compartment has accumulated a little, then most often the first method is enough.
Float chamber is inside the room block in the lower part
How to fix a broken capillary tube
The capillary tube of the air conditioner is located in the external unit of the device, so if water leaks because of it, then to get access to the part the module will have to be removed from the facade. If the element is not severely constricted, then simply correct its position so that there are no kinks.
But if the tube is made of PVC, it is better to replace it with copper with a diameter of 1/4 inch. In this case the probability of recurrence of the problem will be reduced, because the metal part is more resistant to bends and kinks.
The capillary tube is located under the heat exchanger-condenser in the outdoor unit
How to clean the drain
If the indoor unit of the air conditioner in the apartment leaks, you need to check and if necessary clean the drain tube. The case of split-system is disassembled in order to get the access to elements of the device and pour the chemical agent with nonaggressive composition, for example dish gel, into the hose.
After that it is necessary to flush the tube several times in a row with clean water until the foam stops coming out of it. Before putting a conditioner into operation leave it in a quiet condition for 24 hours for complete drying out.
When cleaning drainage it is necessary to pay special attention to the point of hose connection with water tray
How to replace the fan
If the air conditioner drips water into the room, the cause may be a defective fan. If it is rotating at low speed, the heat is less efficiently dissipated and the evaporator becomes covered in ice. The last one will thaw and water will flow by the drainage tray.
To fix the problem it is necessary to remove the fan, located on the radiator, and clean it from dust. If the blades even after that rotate with difficulty, it is better to replace the cooler for a new one.
Cracked blades or worn out bearings can lead to fan failure
How to fix the float chamber misalignment
Drainage tray of the conditioner in the indoor unit must be absolutely level, otherwise the float cannot move freely. If the room module is suspended crooked, you need to dismantle the device and fix it on the wall again, this time aligning the position with the level.
In some models of conditioners drain pump with float chamber can be moved outward
How to clean air conditioner drain by yourself?
In the indoor unit of the air conditioner, the drainage system, consisting of the drain pan and condensate drain pipe, is the most humid place, which also collects all the dust and dirt that gets inside the unit.
On the Internet you can find many recommendations on how to clean the drain pipe of the air conditioner with the help of a wire or cable. Such method allows quickly get rid of the plug, but the achieved result will not last long, and very soon your air conditioner will start to leak again. To clean the drain properly, you need to:
- De-energize the air conditioner by removing the power cord plug from the outlet;
- Remove the lid of the indoor unit;
- Remove the coarse filters, wash them well in water with a nonaggressive cleaning agent such as soap solution;
- Remove the main plastic from the indoor unit, usually you need to unscrew a few screws;
- Remove the drip tray located under the fan turbine by first disconnecting the drainage pipe and unscrewing the screws that hold it in place. In some models of air conditioners to disconnect the tray is quite difficult and to do this, you will have to study the manual or find the answer on the Internet;
- thoroughly rinse the tray and clean the condensate drain hole from dirt;
- blow out the drain pipe with a vacuum cleaner; if it is too clogged, remove it mechanically;
- disinfect the drainage system, drip tray and filters. You can do this with chlorhexidine, which is sold in every drugstore;
- Clean dust off the evaporator and fan turbine with a soft brush and vacuum cleaner.
After cleaning the drainage system, reassemble the air conditioner.
Causes of leaks
Drainage is clogged, can not cope with liquid drainage:
- Insects, attracted by the coolness of the water during the hot season, will enter the plumbing fixture. They stay there, settle inside the unit, preventing the normal outflow of condensation;
- Drainage hose gets clogged by the debris, dirt, dust, pet hair that gets inside the split-system together with the drawn air stream. Over time, remaining dirt accumulates inside the drain tube, condensable moisture collects in the sump and then pours over the edge to the outside;
- Bacterial contamination of tank, whole drainage. If necessary maintenance is not performed properly, bacterial colonies, mold, mildew and fungus begin to grow in the unit. Microorganisms accumulate inside the system, slime is formed, preventing the natural outflow. Besides the fact that it is dangerous for health of the tenants, there are negative external manifestations: unpleasant smell, water leaking from the conditioner;
- Incorrect placement of the diverter hose during installation. The hose must be installed on an incline to allow the moisture to drain out by gravity. If you place it horizontally, with bends, kinks, etc.д., The condensate can not overcome obstacles and will accumulate in the sump.
Improper, low-quality installation of split-system:
- Unit is not installed strictly horizontally as it is required by installation manual. Result: water leaks from the air conditioner into the room;
- the elements of the water drainage system were damaged during installation;
- Poor expansion of copper pipes caused depressurization of the cooling loop. Freon began to go out; on evaporator the ice was forming. During thawing of ice cover the volume of liquid is formed, for which the split-system drainage is not designed.
Using the air conditioning equipment in the cold period of the year at low temperatures. If split-system is not adjusted for work in frosty weather and winter set for heating is not installed, then water in outlet pipe outside will freeze. An ice plug will prevent the moisture from escaping.
What to do?
Let’s see how to remove malfunctions with your own hands:
- In the first case there is nothing difficult. you have to pour out the condensate accumulated there, and after it to put it back and the split-system will work normally. Of course, one should do this after turning it off and, desirably, after flushing. Watch out for condensate buildup to avoid leaks.
- If conditioner is leaking because of covering the heat-exchange part with ice, then make a thermal insulation, for example, using glass wool, so there will be no such reaction on temperature changes.
- In the event that the drain pump breaks and leaks, it should of course be repaired or replaced, but to do this you should contact an air conditioner specialist who will perform a proper level of repair and diagnosis.
- If the water drips because the hose is not placed correctly, then place it at the required slope.
- It is possible to improve a weak fastening of pipes, by strengthening the fastenings with nuts, and for firmness it is possible to treat with sealant. But do not clamp until the threads are broken.
- Always check the quantity of liquid, that it is not accumulated too much, and split-system is not leaking.
One more reason of breakage is a clogged drainage tube. On how to fix this malfunction with your own hands, told at
Thus, part of the causes of air conditioner’s leak can be eliminated by your own efforts. But in more complex cases, it is better, of course, to contact the professionals. For example, such a moment when the indoor unit itself is leaking. Here the reason, most likely, will be the presence of defects inside. chips, cracks. Of course, you can try to fill them with glue, but it is better to entrust the disassembly of the device to a specialist.
For exclusive owners
Sometimes a special pump is used to drain the water. Usually this is done when there is no possibility of laying drainage to the street. For example, if the room in which the air conditioner is installed is below ground level. in the basement.
In this case, a small pump is put on the drainage system, which from time to time pumps water out of it. Typical problems with the pump can be
- The float chamber is clogged;
- Away or oxidized contacts of the power supply;
- No contact between the sensor and the pump;
- The drain tube is pinched, torn off, or clogged;
- Pump burned out.
To find a solution to the problem, you need to check all of the above items.
When you can not do without a professional
Unfortunately, not all cases can be managed on their own. It happens, the water drips from the air conditioner inside the room due to the failure of the drain pump. Its repair or replacement requires specialized knowledge and special tools. Still one more variant: when the liquid excessively increases inside the contour itself, the pressure is too high and it breaks some subassemblies of air-conditioner. The unit itself can leak. This usually occurs due to hidden defects in the interior. cracks, deformations and chips. Self-made “soldering” with glue, maybe, will help, but not for a long time. And it can cause even more serious problems. And it means even more expensive repair.
According to the specialists, the most common reason of leakage is the fouling of one of the drainage elements. To avoid problems, professionals insist: Do not neglect prevention. At least in spring, when you are going to start the conditioner, which has wintered over. In addition to cleaning, the technician will check the settings and functionality of the most vulnerable units. Costs preventive maintenance is not that expensive: it can be afforded by anyone who can afford to install a split system.
One more important recommendation: not to move conditioner by yourself. During repairs, many people decide to move the unit higher/lower/left/right, and think you don’t need a handyman to do it. However, such amateurism leads to a change in the angle of inclination of the drain pipe (at least) and leakage of condensate on freshly renovated walls.
Another good advice: keep an eye on the work on the outside insulation if you ordered the external cladding to the mountaineer-climbers. There are many cases when zealous workers can putty a drainage hole or bend up a drainage pipe. And you need to watch and when they insulate the apartment below you: if the neighbors are annoyed by the sound of droplets from your air conditioner, they can ask the climber to eliminate the source of sound.
And most importantly, do not skimp on the installation. When buying an air conditioner, look at the average price that your region asks for its installation. Stop at the average cost: if someone offers a service at a very low price, it should cause suspicion. If you are tempted by a tempting offer you will have a real headache instead of relaxing in the cool. It can be incorrectly punched hole, drainage pipe. bent, deformed or cracked because of the poor quality of the original material. It happens that the valving is imperfectly made and it results in freon leakage and freezing of the heat exchanger. It is not uncommon for poor-quality insulation of the freon circuit. And all this causes drips inside the apartment. As experts say, a cheap installation is too expensive to accept.
Block: 14/14 | Number of characters: 2831
Number of blocks: 23 | Total number of characters: 39654 Number of used donors: 7 Information on each donor: