What to choose a mixer or a blender?
The main difference between these devices is the different functions:
- The purpose of the blender is to chop food with the blades, while the purpose of the mixer is to whip with the whisk, and to knead dough with the hook. A blender can’t make cream soups, baby food, smoothies and shakes, or chop nuts. A blender can’t turn whipped cream into a creamy foam or make yeast dough.
But since the immersion blender always has an additional attachment in the form of a whisk and sometimes even a hook for kneading dough, the question arises. can the blender replace the mixer? Yes, but only partly.
- The thing is that the blender is comparable in its capabilities only with a hand mixer, but not with a stationary one. After all, only a stationary device can quickly and efficiently knead thick and dense dough, say, for pies and dumplings. Neither a blender nor a hand mixer will do the job.
But with such non-trivial tasks like whipping eggs or pancake batter, the blender copes almost as well as a hand mixer (but the mixer is still more effective and comfortable for prolonged work). If you like the idea of 3-in-1 devices, we advise you to choose either an immersion blender with a power of 500 watts or more, or as powerful as possible, a blender-blender that looks like a blender, but has a chopper attachment. Learn other nuances of choosing a blender can be found in our step-by-step guide (see material: Guide to choosing a blender immersion and stationary type). And this video will help you not only to understand the difference between two similar devices, but also to choose a blender for your kitchen.
What mixer is better to buy for the house: review of manufacturers
What is the best mixer to buy for home, when there are many models and brands? They all differ from each other in design, types, construction, equipment. We have collected the rating of brands-manufacturers of really high quality mixers in different price categories.
This is a German company, which is characterized by reliability and durability. The devices necessarily have an economical class of energy consumption. Kitchen appliances from Bosch are quite functional, well held in the hand and equipped with several attachments. A great option for frequent bakers.
It is a brand new company that was founded in 2011. Kitfort company devices were designed in Russia, but production of kitchen equipment is carried out in factories in China and Taiwan. All mixers are stationary. Available in various colors. The devices are reasonably priced and excellent for mixing dough.
It is an international holding with Russian roots, which produces small household appliances, water heaters and cookware. Mixers have good power, combine high quality and a nice price. Excellent for household tasks. These appliances whip the mixture quickly and the whisk attachments are well rinsed.
Devices from this brand attract customers by their reasonable price, functionality and modern design. Blenders from Scarlett are very popular not only among Russian housewives. Devices are highly rated in other countries. They are divided into stationary and manual.
These two popular devices are often confused, because they perform similar tasks and are often sold as a set. You only need to change the accessory and you have a totally different device in your hands. But there is a fundamental difference. A mixer and a blender perform different tasks. The blender chops the product with the blades, mixing it into a puree, and the mixer. whips with the whisk. In other words, you can’t make soup with a mixer, and you can’t whip whites or cream, or knead dough with a blender.
Pros and cons of different types of appliances
Like any other household appliances, planetary-type mixers have advantages and disadvantages. Advantages include:
- Ease of use. Universal device turns the usual cooking of different dishes into a pleasant activity in the kitchen. Knead the dough without having to hold the appliance in place, so you can get on with other work. Once the program is set, the machine does everything by itself.
- Faster cooking than a conventional mixer.
- Several kinds of nozzles for whipping and kneading.
- Beautiful design. the technique fits into modern kitchen interiors.
What is a planetary mixer
This electric device is designed to mix products of any viscosity. Indispensable in bakeries, loaf bakeries and in the home kitchen.
It works like any other mixer: it mixes the ingredients with the whisk.
But it has a special feature: the tool rotates around the bowl and around its axis at the same time, but in the opposite direction. It mixes more thoroughly this way.
Spiral Mixer vs Planetary Mixer Difference | which mixer is Suitable for Bakery Business 2022
Hence the name “planetary”, as the mixer moves similar to the movement of the planet, as if drawing circles inside the bowl. The special shape of the working mechanism results in a homogeneous mass without lumps and bubbles. This result is obtained not only thanks to the whisk, but also special attachments: a hook for dough, a spatula for mixing.
The planetary blender is capable of helping with these types of kitchen work:
- Kneading thick or liquid dough;
- Preparing a variety of mousses;
- Whipping cream and pastry creams;
- preparation of minced meat;
- Making sauces;
- Whipping protein foam.
Classification of planetary mixers
Originally, the planetary mixer with a bowl was used to work with large amounts of products only in industrial confectioneries and catering. But after some time on the market of kitchen appliances came more compact models that combine high power and small size.
So, here’s what kind of devices there are:
- Industrial. The devices are designed for mixing large amounts of food. The size of the bowl sometimes reaches 150 liters. Requires special skills to use the appliance. Usually an industrial device is placed on the floor and fixed with special holders.
- Semi-industrial. The bowl volume of these units is up to 15 liters. You also need special skills to use. These mixers are placed both on the floor and on the table. They are used in cafes, bars, restaurants, small pastry shops. The device works fast, but it uses a lot of energy.
- Domestic Stand Mixers. Only for use in the home kitchen. They have a small bowl volume. up to 8 liters, which is quite enough for family use. No need for any skills to operate the machine, it is easy to operate. Put the planetary mixer for the home on the table.
What is the device
Planetary mixer. a stationary device, installed on a flat, stable surface of the kitchen countertop or table.
The appliance consists of a bowl, also called a bowl, of an oval or cylindrical shape. Also, the device consists of a mixing nozzle and the mechanism that sets it in motion. The volume of the bowl of the home mixer. from 3 to 8 liters. Maximum power. 2200 watts.
The equipment of the unit may be different, depending on the manufacturers. Some attachments are included in the set and this is reflected in the cost. Others sell them as an add-on.
Be sure to have the following attachments in the kit: whisk for beating eggs, liquid dough, mousse, hook for kneading thick dough, spatula for puree, sugar glaze.
Interesting. Many manufacturers include in the standard set and a juice nozzle, which is able to crush fruits and vegetables and squeeze the juice out of them.
Features of the planetary mixer
Unlike other models of mixers, the planetary mixer has a number of features.
The nozzle rotates not only around the circumference of the bowl, but also around its own axis. This allows you to achieve a perfect mixing of ingredients. You can even knead stiff dough and mashed potatoes. And the whipped egg foam is twice as big and dense as with any other mixer.
On the body there is a display that sets the mode, speed and time for which the mixer should work. At the end of the work the mixer will “let you know” by giving a signal.
The material of bowl
The determining role in the cost is played by the material from which the bowl of the planetary mixer is made. The most affordable models have a plastic bowl; their more expensive models have stainless steel or glass bowls.
Let’s consider them in more detail:
- Stainless steel. Models with a bowl made of this material are most common on sale. It’s all about the unique properties of stainless steel: inertness, resistance to acids, durability, ease of care, resistance to damage and high temperatures.
- Plastic. Plastic bowls are durable, reduce the final cost of the mixer, but have a number of drawbacks: over time they change color and absorb odors, become deformed with prolonged use, are easily damaged.
- Glass. Bowls made of this material are durable, easy to clean. They are resistant to damage during the mixing process. These models look stylish and are able to add a highlight to your kitchen interior. The main disadvantages are the high weight, the brittleness of the material and the high cost of a new bowl when replacing.
What to choose: a Standard or a Planetary Mixer
Planetary mixers get their name because their system is very similar to the rotation and translational motion of the Earth around the Sun, as the stopper rotates around itself, simultaneously rotating the bowl.
This mixer model is a more advanced version of conventional mixers, as it is more powerful, has more accessories and provides a more homogeneous result when kneading dough.
All planetary mixers have at least three types of beaters: one for light dough, one for medium and one for heavy dough.
How a planetary mixer differs from a stationary mixer
Much more convenient to work with than with a stationary mixer. But they too come in different versions, simple or with planetary stirring. Let’s consider which mixer is better to buy: a planetary or a stationary mixer, what they are similar to and what is the difference.
Vote which mixer is best to buy for the home
What is a planetary mixer
The planetary mixer looks like a stationary mixer. It also has a body, a base and a bowl for holding the food. The main difference is the movement pattern of the nozzles. The principle of the planetary mixer is rooted in its name. As the planets revolve around the sun and simultaneously around their axis, so do the nozzles of the device rotate around the axis and at the same time pass in a circle the bowl of products. This allows you to mix ingredients, knead dough or perform other operations quickly and evenly.
Features of a stationary mixer
The stationary mixer model comes with a bowl and a special stand to help hold the mixer in use. This allows you to make your hands free and do other work in the kitchen.
With some devices, not only the nozzles but also the base rotate. this allows the best uniform mixing of components. In the most advanced models, the rotational motion can be performed in a circle as well as in a set line.
1 or 2 handpieces are usually included with the stationary models. Due to the expanded capabilities, this household appliance has an increased cost, compared to the others.
Before you opt for such a mixer, it is worth carefully examining its pros and cons. The benefits of using the following:
- Quite high power;
- The ability to wash the parts of the mixer under running water;
- high-quality nozzles made of high-strength metal to withstand maximum loads.
- The blender has a large size, which means that additional storage space is required;
- higher cost compared to hand mixers.