Calculation of cable cross section for the water heater. Repair Tips
The most common and inexpensive wire to connect the boiler to a 220 volt network is copper, brand SHVVP section 2 x 2,5 mm. Such cross-section withstands loads up to 20 amps. With a 1.2 kW water heater, the current load is only 5.45 amperes. The wire in the corrugated self-extinguishing hose is fixed to the wall with “quick install” dowels with L-shaped studs. The diameter of dowels is 10 mm, the diameter of studs is 8 mm.
You can also lay the wire in a pre-assembled joint. You will need a fine-tipped saw or a grinder with a diamond wheel. Concrete slab joints can be used to ease the junction. Wire with a cross-section of 2 x 2.5 mm is laid from the place of the boiler installation to the automatic unit, and from it to the meter.
Before you connect the boiler to the mains, be sure to turn off the electricity in the apartment or house. The wire that goes to the water heater is connected to the special terminals in the water heater with a Phillips screwdriver. Accumulation boiler is often equipped with a thermostat, so water heaters in this design more economical and reliable in operation.
Diagram for connecting the boiler to power supply.
EcoSmart Tankless Water Heaters Installation
After connecting the wire to the fuse or plugs do not need to turn on the power, because you still have to fill the gutting with plaster.
Now you can start commissioning work. Firstly fill the boiler tank with water from the cold water supply. open the ball valve after the tee fitting on the drain. Then immediately open the tap on the hot water line so that the air from the boiler will leave, making room for water. Also open the faucet or hot water faucet. in the kitchen or bathroom.
Once the reservoir is filled, water will come out of the mixer. you can close it. The boiler is full, the water in it creates little pressure, so wait 0.3-2 hours and check all connections for water leakage. If there are any drips at the joints, tighten the nuts on the fittings.
Selecting cables and automatic circuit breaker
When repairing in new apartments, the boiler is usually wired directly from the switchboard. If you want to connect the boiler to the old common wiring, which already has several outlets, make sure that it will withstand the capacity of the boiler.
In most cases, with a capacity of up to 3.5 kW, the wiring should be done 3-core copper cable VVGNG-Ls, cross section of at least 2.5 mm2.
A three-core cable is necessary to ensure a permanent connection to the ground.
Choose a two-pole automatic boiler connection. Rated current of the automatic unit 16A (enough for the boiler power to 3.5 kW).
How to Flush a Water Heater? | Flushing Will Probably Not Fix Your Problem
A circuit breaker with a rated current of 10A will do for a load of up to 2kW.
If you use it specifically for the heater, a 1.5 mm2 cross-section copper cable and a 10 amp circuit breaker will suffice. But I would increase the cross section to 2.5 mm2. And in both cases RCD or DIF. protection against electric shock. Good luck, and for the work involve a specialist.
All write of course literate and interesting about the load, the heating wire, etc., but none gramotey did not write that automatics are put to protect the wiring, but not as a consumer, because the wire section of 2.5 kv. mm automatic breaker should be set 25A, 1.5 respectively 16A, and t.д. RCD or DIF are put if the room “wet” 10 mA or 30 mA if the room “dry”. And the wire is already calculated on the load. Good luck!
What power automatic breaker put on the boiler?
Automatic water heater connection choose a two-pole. Rated current of the circuit breaker 16A (enough for a boiler power up to 3.5 kW). A circuit breaker with a rated current of 10A will do for a load of up to 2kW.
RCD (residual current device) is designed for automatic disconnection of an electrical device from the network after the differential current exceeds a certain value. RCD should be distinguished from overcurrent protection device (all known automatic fuse).
What cable to use for the boiler?
In most cases, with a capacity of up to 3.5kW, wiring should be done with a 3-core copper cable VVGNG-Ls, cross section of at least 2.5 mm2. A three-core cable is necessary to ensure a permanent connection to the ground. Choose a two-pole automatic boiler connection.
- Install a socket at a distance of 50-80 cm from the floor and the water heater.
- Need to run a three-core copper cable from the switchboard to the socket
- Turn off the electricity and connect the wires to the socket
- Connect the ground cable to the busbar on the switchboard.
Connecting a running water heater to the water mains and to the mains
Often, when choosing between storage and flow heaters, the decisive factors are the size and appearance of the device. Flow-through heaters on these parameters, undoubtedly, the leader. In this article, the master plumber will tell you how to connect the flow-through water heater to the water supply and electricity.
The main thing in the flow heater operation
- How many people live in the flat/house? If one or two people live in the apartment, who only need to take a shower after work, the choice of a water flow meter is justified. For the four members of the family, regularly taking baths, doing laundry, washing dishes, this heater is not suitable.
- How often do you plan to use? Two-four weeks in the period of seasonal shutdowns for prevention, repair, unscheduled maintenance. good enough. A private house or cottage, the lack of a complete central water supply, year-round operation. we recommend choosing a boiler with a stainless steel tank.
- Is the dwelling spacious enough?? Small size due to the lack of tank. the advantage of the flow-through. If the size of the apartment does not allow you to install a storage heater, you can choose a small alternative.
- Smaller size. The lack of a liquid storage tank greatly reduces the size of the heater. It’s useful in tight spaces. Hot water boilers weigh a lot. Demanding to the place of installation: when installed, fragile walls can not withstand a heavy, filled boiler.
- Significantly higher power consumption. TEN (tubular electric water heater) in the process of supplying the liquid operates continuously, increasing electricity costs. The advantage of heating boilers is that the tanks retain heat temporarily due to the coating material. This means that it is not necessary to maintain a constant temperature.
- Not suitable for a large family. Would be appropriate as a temporary measure in case of disconnection of the hot water supply. sink, basin and bathtub can’t be served by just one unit. over, the force of the pressure is further limited by the speed of heating.
- Different working principle. Accumulation boilers accumulate a large amount of moisture in the tank where its temperature rises to a specified level due to the heating elements and is not lost for some time. It helps to reduce electricity consumption while maintaining a comfortable flow rate. It takes time to prepare the water. In turn, the lack of capacity simplifies maintenance: no need to empty and monitor the condition of the enamel (if enamelled).
Decide whether a flow heater is right for you. Take into account the number of users, regularity of operation, reliability of electrical wiring. Assess the available space in the apartment.
If you want to install a heater from 3.5 to 6.5 kW, keep in mind. it will be hot water only in one particular place. for one sink or shower head.
Normal models of flowmeters, which can distribute hot water throughout the apartment or cottage, start at least 10kW and above.
Let’s take a closer look at all the steps to connect the flowmeter in two variations:
Choosing a place to install a flow heater
What wire cross-section is needed for a 5 kW load
The correct choice of cable or wire for electrical wiring in a private home or apartment is the basis for safe operation of electrical internal networks. At the heart of the choice is the cross-section of the cable, which you can calculate on your own using the formula: S=π(D/2)²=S=πR², where π. Archimedean number (3,14), D. diameter, and R. the radius of the cable cores. To elaborate on the topic of this article, we will answer the question of what cross-section of the wire needed for 5 kW load?
So, let’s start with the fact that there is a regulatory document, according to which you can choose a wire or cable under the load of 5 kW. This document. “Rules for Electrical Installation,” or “PUE” for short. So these rules state that there are three parameters that are the basis for selecting the cross section:
If you choose the cross-section of the wire according to the current load or power consumption incorrectly, it will certainly heat up, its insulation will melt, and there is a high probability of a short circuit, often accompanied by fires. So do not skimp on electrical wiring.
The truth is, you also shouldn’t overplay your hand by choosing a cross-section much larger than necessary. This will primarily affect the purse, because wires with a larger cross section are more expensive. Although it is necessary to calculate the possible increase of load with the appearance of new household appliances in the future. But it must be done competently.
Choose a cable and automatic device
When repairing in new apartments, the boiler is usually wired directly from the switchboard. If you want to connect the boiler to the old common wiring, which already has several outlets, make sure that it will hold the boiler.
In most cases, with a capacity of up to 3.5kW, wiring should be done with a 3-core copper cable VVGNG-Ls, cross section of at least 2.5 mm2.
A three-core cable is necessary in order to ensure a permanent connection to the ground.
Choose a two-pole automatic boiler connection device. Rated circuit breaker current 16A (enough for the boiler power up to 3.5 kW).
A circuit breaker with a rated current of 10A will do for a load of up to 2kW.
Filling the tank and turning on the electricity
The first start-up operations after installing the storage water heater are carried out by checking that all the systems are working correctly, according to the following sequence:
- connections to the mains or gas mains;
- connection to the piped water supply system;
- filling the tank of the water heating equipment with cold water;
- Filling the tank by opening a hot water faucet;
- assessing that there are no leaks;
- start-up of the heating system in medium mode.
Such a device as an electric flow-through water heater has its pros and cons, about which you should know before deciding to purchase. On the peculiarities of finishing the toilet with plastic panels in this article.
Devices of flow-through type are tested by opening the tap of the hot water supply, but only after a thorough check of the correct connection.
Regardless of the type and model of water-heating equipment, you must remember that if the water supply is too hard, it is necessary to install a special filter to prevent the heating elements from failing too quickly.