Depending on the type of machine, it can be located:
- Under the lift top. in machines with vertical laundry loading.
- On the left side above the tank. in machines where the laundry is loaded horizontally.
In what compartment in the machine to fill, depends on the program and for what laundry will be used. in general, an automatic washing machine has three compartments, each of which has its own purpose. They are designated by special symbols, letters or numbers (they are detailed in the manual). If the instructions are not available:
- number I or letter “A”. marks the compartment (cuvette), where the powder for prewash is poured. If the set of programs of the machine does not provide such a function, then such a compartment, respectively, is absent. This compartment can also be identified by its size. it is medium in volume.
- Number ІІ or the letter B. so designate the dispenser, in which poured the detergent needed for the main washing step. Size wise, it’s the biggest.
- star/flower, less common is the designation “Softener”. the smallest by volume, it is used to fill rinse- and conditioners. They can be added before or during the washing process, but before the rinse period.
Detergent or bleach mustn’t be added to the rinse aid compartment. they’re too aggressive and can ruin your clothes.
See also. How to wash your jeans in the washing machine
What the tray looks like
The tray looks like a drawer with individual compartments. Many people do not know why there are three compartments in the tray, while pouring the powder and additional detergent, make initial mistakes.
- The largest compartment, where you put the powder in the right amount for the main wash.
- The medium compartment, this is where you put the prewash powder (for heavy soiling)
- The smallest compartment is intended for rinse aid and conditioner, to soften the washing. Is marked with a specific symbol: star, snowflake, flower.
Large and medium compartments are often marked by manufacturers with beads A and B, or Roman numerals I and II, respectively.
How to calculate the portion of detergent?
When calculating the portion of laundry detergent, note that the required amount varies with the brand and level of concentration (concentrate must be used in a smaller volume). The average dosage per kilo of clothes is 25 grams. So, in order to wash 5 kilograms of clothes, you need to put 125 grams of powder into the tray.
But in some cases, it is recommended to fill the laundry detergent in a larger volume. For example, when there is hard water in the tap. Special mention should be made of soft water, where items are washed very well, even with minimal detergent. Hard water contains a lot of magnesium salts, which prevent the laundry from being quickly removed from the dirt. As for soap substances, they begin to react with salts, are less soluble and absorb into fabrics.
And also need to take into account the following nuances. Soaking in soft water, the recommended amount of powder is 10 grams, hand washing. 15 grams, and machine washing. 20 grams. For medium wash, the recommended dosage is 15, 20 and 25 grams, respectively. As for hard washing, it is recommended to put 20 grams of powder when soaking. If hand washing. 25 grams, and when selected machine wash mode. 30 grams.
In addition, you must take into account the water consumption in determining the ration. It depends on which washing program is used and what is the loading volume of the drum. The average is considered to be 60 liters per 5 kilograms of clothes. If the machine model you are using does not have a weighing function, partial and full loads will waste the same amount of water. So when calculating the amount of powder in relation to the weight of laundry being washed, the concentration of detergent will be less than necessary, so you can not get a high-quality laundry. So it is better to put as much detergent as the full load of the washing machine is designed for.
If there is a function of weighing laundry, the need to consider the consumption of water is eliminated, because the liquid will be dialed taking into account how many clothes are in the machine for washing.
In addition, please note that if you use a concentrated means, which is available in liquid form, so that the laundry washed qualitatively, pour it a lot is not required. with soft water is enough a tablespoon per cycle. When it is hard, the indicated dosage is doubled.
Space inside the door loader for powder replenishment
The manufacturer equips the machine with a special in-loading tray. The number of compartments depends on the function. There are usually three of them in side-loading machines. There are also vertical loading models where the tray has four compartments.In either case, it is important to know the designation of the main three working compartments:
The loading cell for prewash is always marked with the letter “A”, a Roman or Arabic numeral “1”. The compartment is used by the machine if it is tasked to do so. To get the effect of a double wash, the first cell is loaded with powder, otherwise the first procedure will take place in clean water, and washing with powder will begin in the second stage.
The main washing compartment is indicated by the Russian letter “B”, the English “C”, as well as a Roman or Arabic numeral “2”. Powder is poured into this compartment when any washing function is selected.
For different types of laundry additionally use rinse aid, bleach, softeners, conditioners and other agents. Most often they are liquid. For auxiliaries, the tray has a third compartment, usually marked with an icon resembling a flower “”.
Each machine model has an individual design of the loading tray. An example of the location of the main compartment for the powder compartment of a washing machine from different manufacturers is shown on
Samsung Ecobubble WF80F5U4W Washing Machine : load program and start (Pt 1/16)
If there is a prewash function, then when you turn it on, the machine will first feed water into the appropriate compartment. You have to wait for half of the cycle to complete. After the first flush, the machine will feed the second compartment. This compartment and will be for the main mode of washing. The third compartment is determined for air conditioners by calculation.
Where to pour liquid powder into a washing machine
Liquid household chemicals are becoming more and more popular among modern housewives. This is not surprising, because it has a number of undeniable advantages:
- is a concentrated SMS;
- you do not have to wait long for it to dissolve in water;
- Completely rinses out of laundry;
- suitable for the care of delicate fabrics;
- does not stay on the walls of the tray.
However, not everyone can immediately figure out where to pour the liquid SMS, because “washing machines” do not have a special compartment for this. And one should not pour them into the compartment for rinse aid. the detergent will get to the laundry only when conditioning. Let’s look at how gels should be used.
- Special compartment. The most modern models of the automatic dishwasher are adapted to the use of gel detergents. Therefore, their design provides for a special, most often inserted compartment. It looks like a small bowl, equipped with an overflow valve. It is important not to fill the gel above the marked level. Otherwise it will go straight into the drum.
- Special curtains. In the sale you can meet the transition machines. They allow the use of both powdery and gel-type detergents. Here the compartment for washing powder is additionally equipped with special curtains. They can be stationary or removable. Curtains do not allow the product to immediately fall into the drum, but can not provide a complete seal.
- Old-style machines. If the design of your machine is not designed for the use of gel SMS, you should not abandon them. You can use special dispensers for this. They are filled with SMS, and then put into the drum. This should be done immediately before the washing process.
Where to put the powder and conditioner in the washing machine
The washing machine is present in every home. It facilitates the conduct of everyday life and saves time for the hostess. In order to ensure the most efficient operation of the unit, it is important to use it properly. In particular, you should understand where to pour the powder in the washing machine and in which compartment to pour the conditioner.
The washing machine is equipped with a special container for powder and conditioner
All models of modern automatic washing machines are equipped with a pull-out tray, where the powder, bleach or other detergent is loaded. Location depends on the type of washing machine.
- Tray for powder in a washing machine with horizontal loading is at the top, directly above the door to load laundry.
- In those units where loading is vertical, the tray is located on the inside of the hatch or directly on its cover.
The design of the tray itself has 3 cells or compartments. Many washing machine owners do not know exactly what agent is intended for a particular compartment, and as a result make mistakes at the very first stage of washing.
- Tiniest compartment. It is usually marked with a certain symbol (“snowflake”, “star” or “flower”) and is suitable for softeners such as rinse-agents and various conditioners with antistatic effect.
- The next compartment. the middle one. is used in those cases where a prewash or delicate washing mode has been defined.Here we also send the means necessary for soaking the laundry.
- The largest compartment, where the powder (and any other agent) for the main wash is sent.
Sometimes manufacturers make the last two compartments the same, but label them with either Roman numerals (I and II) or letters (A and B). If the marking of compartments is missing or erased after prolonged use of the household appliance, you can check what this or that compartment is needed for, as follows. switch on the washer-dryer without putting any laundry into the drum, and select a mode without a prewash. Do not push the container for the detergent all the way in, but leave it ajar and watch which compartment begins to receive water. This compartment is used for the main wash, in which powder should be poured or liquid gel compounds should be poured.
If you are using a semi-automatic machine, then there is simply no tray to load the powder directly into.
Take your normal detergent instead and load it directly into the dishwasher. Remember that it is not recommended to take the powder for automatic machines: it does not foam much and in a semi-automatic washes your clothes worse.
Where to fill the powders, gels, conditioners
Powders are poured into the bin marked B or II. The same compartment is used for loading liquid detergents. In the compartment marked with the letter A (I), you can only load detergent if you are using the pre-soak function.
The washer-dryer uses conditioners, rinse aid only at the final rinse. There is a compartment marked with a flower (asterisk) to load them. This is where the water comes in for the last wash cycle. Putting the rinse aid into other parts of the tray or directly into the drum makes no sense.
How to load correctly?
Washing machines from different manufacturers have significant differences in the set of programs and washing modes. The amount of powder that will be used in a particular wash program is specified in the appliance’s operating instructions. In addition, each manufacturer of synthetic detergent for automatic machines indicates its approximate dosage on the packaging. But all these figures are arbitrary.
The following factors may influence the dosage of detergent.
- The initial weight of the loaded laundry. The heavier the weight, the more detergent you need to add. If the washing is to be only a few things, the calculated rate of the agent should be reduced.
- Degree of soiling. If things are heavily soiled or have difficult to remove stains, the concentration of the powder should be increased.
- The water hardness level. The higher it is, the more detergent is needed for a positive washing result.
- Washing program. Different types of fabrics require different amounts of detergent.
The detergent, stain remover or bleach should be loaded into the correct tray before you start the wash cycle.
To pour the powder, it is best to use a special measuring cup.
It has a convenient spout, which allows you to pour the powder precisely into the compartment, and there are marks on its walls, so it is easy to measure the required amount of powder. You can buy it at any hardware store. Also, some detergent manufacturers put it in the detergent package as a nice bonus. This is usually true for heavier loads.
There is an opinion that the powder can be poured directly into the drum after loading the laundry there. This method has both positive and negative sides.
The advantages include:
- Lower detergent consumption;
- The possibility of washing in case the cuvette breaks;
- Clogged hoses can be used to flush the water out of the drum.
The disadvantages of the method include:
- The likelihood of bleaching and staining of colored clothing due to pellets;
- Poor wash quality due to uneven distribution of powder among items
- Incomplete dissolving of the powder during washing.
If there is a need to add the agent directly into the drum, special plastic containers should be used for this.
Their use will protect the laundry from bleaching, and the small holes in the lid of such a container will allow the powder to dissolve inside, and the soap solution to pour into the drum gradually.
Detergents in the form of gels and capsules can be loaded directly into the drum. Most often they do not have aggressive components, and their application to clothing will not lead to its damage.
In some models of washing machines, manufacturers have provided a dispenser for gel laundry care products.
It is a plate which must be installed in the main compartment for the powder, where there are special grooves. Then pour the gel. Between this plate and the bottom of the compartment will be a small space, through which the gel will get into the drum only when the water supply begins.
The easiest way to deal with adding conditioner. It can be poured both before and during the wash cycle, before rinsing. The amount of rinse aid required is indicated on its packaging. But even if you use less or more than the specified amount of conditioner, it will not affect the cleanliness of the laundry in any way.