Types of ingrown hairs
Yes, ingrown hairs are often confused with warts and herpes. So, before you jump to the worst possible conclusion, here’s how to spot an ingrown hair.
When an ingrown hair forms, there is usually a red bump accompanied by mild discomfort. But it’s nothing too serious and shouldn’t cause you much pain. You usually feel a pressure in the area, like a pimple. If you shave, and then in the first 12 or 24 hours you have papules all over this area, it’s probably ingrown hairs.
What else ingrown hairs may look like?
- hair keratosis
- cysts (epidermoid)
- abscess ( boil )
- Milia (white blackheads)
- atopic dermatitis
- contact dermatitis
- heat rash ( sweating rash )
- Dry skin ( xerosis )
- Chicken pox
- Psoriasis pustularis
- Molluscum contagiosum
- Viral warts
- Fox-Fordais disease,
- Graham-Little-Picardi-Lasser syndrome
- An itchy papular rash of HIV infection
- Toxic erythema of newborns
What not to do with ingrown hairs?
Ignore the problem. You have to get rid of ingrown hairs, or sooner or later it will lead to inflammation.
Splitting the skin. It is better to go to a beautician in a salon where waxing is practiced.
Scrubbing and hard skin rubbing, if it comes to a pustule. first you need to treat the inflammation.
Trying to get rid of ingrown hairs without washing your hands with an unsterile needle or tweezers.
Forgetting to moisturize your skin after scrubbing and ingrown hair removal.
Moisturizing your skin is a necessary step in the general scheme of waxing or depilation. © Skin.ru
Ingrown hair after epilation: how to get rid of the unpleasant consequences
How you want to touch your skin and feel its tenderness and velvet. Smooth skin for many is the result of more than one day or treatment And even if you’re breathing easy after your latest waxing session, which seemed to let you get rid of a lot of hair on your legs and bikini zone, you might suddenly realize that you’re out of luck and have an unpleasant side effect in the form of ingrown hairs. Any road to perfection can be colored by difficulties.
Red spots can form after a few days when hairs, already thinning from manipulation (be it razor, sugar, or waxing), start to break through again. A thin hair under the skin forms a loop, the tip can not break through, which can cause inflammation.
Our beauticians know more than one solution to this problem, they are happy to help you. But let’s try to independently consider the causes of this phenomenon and find a solution that will help you cope with the consequences of epilation of this nature, even independently at home.
Since hair removal is a very popular procedure, many people have to deal with ingrown hairs after hair removal. There is nothing terrible in it, if you start prevention in time. Hair begins to ingrown most often just on the legs and bikini area. If the process began in the area of deep hair removal, it is very unpleasant. It is not necessary to be ashamed and ashamed, because it is a normal situation associated with the peculiarities of the body, the structure of the hair and self-care after manipulation. Thus men face similar difficulties: hair can ingrow underarms, on the face (where the beard and sideburns), on the neck.
Make an appointment at the clinic on Vasilievsky Island
Not only to get rid of existing ingrown hairs, but also to prevent their appearance can help and some special medicines. On the shelves of pharmacies and stores you can see products designed specifically to combat ingrown hairs: ointments, scrubs, peels and gels (for example, “Ingrow Go”).
This is a special lotion that not only helps to fight ingrown hairs, but also actively relieves irritation after waxing or depilation. This product is applied to the necessary areas twice a day, in small quantities and with a cotton pad. Practice shows that two or three days is usually quite enough to completely eliminate irritation and ingrown vegetation.
Do not necessarily spend money on these expensive drugs, it is quite possible to do and their cheaper (but no less effective) analogues.
For example, ichthyol ointment, the well-known “Levomekol” can not only relieve irritation. They actively help the skin recover from vegetation removal procedure, quickly heal abrasions, cuts, and also have good antimicrobial and antibacterial effect.
Hydrocortisone ointment has a similar effect on the skin. Products that have worked well include Tretinoin, Calo Spray and Tend Skin. Using such means (guided by the instructions), you can not only get rid of this problem, but also improve the condition of the skin.
A 13% eflornithine hydrochloride cream is highly recommended. It soothes the skin, regenerates its surface, and prevents ingrown hairs when used over 30 days.
The spray is based on salicylic acid can act as a chemical peel, safe for the skin. It exfoliates dead skin particles from the surface of the epidermis, and also softens its top layer. This helps the hair to break through to the surface, and pustules are healed.
Natural jojoba oil or tea tree essential oil are effective in fighting this nuisance. They soften the epidermis, reduce inflammation and help eliminate even very badly ingrown hairs.
A very important role in the fight against ingrown hairs and preventing their occurrence are also scrubs, peels. These remedies help lift hairs above the skin, exfoliate dead cells, and most importantly. slightly reduce the thickness of the top layer of the epidermis. You can use any store body scrub, but the most effective and useful are considered scrubs made at home from improvised means.
Scrubbing with spun ground coffee is considered the easiest and most effective.
It consists only of the grounds of freshly brewed, brewed coffee grounds. Peeling with its use can be carried out both before epilation or depilation, and after them.
DermTV. Why Waxing Causes Ingrown Hairs [DermTV.com Epi #73]
A scrub made with sea salt not only has a good exfoliating effect, it also has a good exfoliating effect. It also has antibacterial properties. To prepare it, use a cup of sea salt and a third of a cup of any natural base oil. Such as olive or linseed. The mixture is used as an ordinary body scrub.
Adverse effects can appear if pseudofolliculitis is incorrectly removed on its own, or frequent ingrowth of hair.
- Penetration of pathogenic bacteria into the ingrown hair cyst with the formation of an abscess. The pustule may gradually enlarge in size. Infection spreads with the formation of an extensive inflammatory process.
- Scarring of the skin in the area of ingrown hairs. If the pustule opens up on its own or if there is extensive inflammation, a connective tissue growth (scar) is formed in the wound. Skin scarring is a cosmetic problem.
- Discoloration of the skin among the ingrown hairs and recurrent pseudofolliculitis.
Professional treatment of the condition reduces the risk of complications.
Why hair ingrown hairs are the main reasons
Ingrown hair differs from a normal hair by the fact that it grows under the skin surface. often it happens after body waxing, but sometimes it can occur after using a razor. All the causes of ingrown hairs can be divided into two categories, genetic and mechanical.
Due to genetics, some people have a too thick layer of epidermis, through which it is difficult for a weak hair to break through. As a result, after epilator he bends down and grows under the upper layer of derma. Sometimes the cause can be hyperkeratosis (increased rate of cell division) and hormonal imbalance in women. The formation of ingrown hair increases in the first half of the menstrual cycle or against the reception of hormones.
The more common reason why hair grows back after an epilator, are various mechanical factors. These include:
- Improper removal of vegetation, which damages the hair canals (how to use an epilator correctly read our article);
- Trauma to the skin with subsequent scarring of the hair channels;
- Frequent scrubbing of the skin, contributing to the thickening of the epidermis;
- Clothes that are too tight, leading to poor circulation and pulling the hair ducts;
- Shaving with a blunt instrument (our article will tell you how to properly shave girls).
Ingrown hairs can appear after removal of vegetation both at home and in the salon. It is important to notice the problem in time and get rid of it before it leads to more unpleasant consequences.
- Squeezing/pulling out hairs. The result of such actions. the appearance of pigmentation and even scars, which are then very difficult to remove.
- Intimate Area Scrub Application. Scrubbing the bikini zone is not recommended. In addition, this area of the skin is very delicate, and it is there often ingrown hairs with inflammation. Scrubbing inflamed skin, you make it worse.
- Soaping the skin too much. For hygiene of the intimate area it is necessary to use a special delicate gel. Regular soaps can only aggravate ingrown hairs.
- Using greasy creams and oils. Oils often cause comedones and subsequent inflammation. However, they are poorly absorbed. It is better to use creams with a light consistency, which moisturize, but do not leave a greasy film.
- Frequent/insufficient use of scrubs. Mechanical peeling should not be done more than once a week, but once a week and a half is fine. They can scrub the entire body, except for the bikini area.
- Photoepilation. During a course of photoepilation the hair shaft is gradually destroyed and the cells die off. They are then brought to the surface along with the dead hair.
- Laser hair removal. The procedure usually uses a diode laser. During exposure to the laser beam the vessel that feeds the hairs is destroyed. Thus, the blood supply to the follicle stops, and it simply dies off.
Ingrown hairs: the causes
Often ingrown hairs begin to worry after vaxing, shaving, electrodepilation and shaving. Traumatic methods thinning the hair and begin to grow parallel to the skin, which provokes ingrown hairs.
Causes of ingrown hairs: Dry and dehydrated skin. Sugar and wax depilation. Hair breakage during depilation. Wearing tight clothing or underwear. Probably every woman at least once in her life has faced this problem. Hair from a weakened bulb can grow in different ways. Ingrown hairs can be divided into two types: flat and curled.
Ingrown hairs growing on the surface of the skin are most common. Curled hairs form papules and often lead to pus.
How to prevent ingrowth? Do I need to change the type of hair removal??
Canadian dermatologists believe the best thing to do is just leave the ingrown hairs untouched, though they realize that for most people that’s a mission impossible to accomplish.
The British recommendations are not as strict. They advise taking more time to prepare for shaving and waxing, so that ingrown hairs appear less often.
For example, you need to change your looms regularly and throw them away if they get blunt. And while shaving, rinse them with water after each pass over the skin. Another important tip is to remove hair in the direction of growth, not against it.
If all this seems like torture, it is worth changing the method of hair removal. For example, buy a hair removal cream or look into a laser.